• sides

Votes: 145 31.7%
  • midback

Votes: 140 30.6%
  • none of the above / or it all grows at the same pace

Votes: 14 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My hair grows in a "W." The sides grow in longer/faster than the middle. That may be largely due to the fact that I heavily sleep on either side and not on my back. I used to get frustrated and cut my hair even because I loved the blunt-cut look, but in the last few years I have just let it grow HOWEVER. As long as its growing, I'm thankful.

I cut my hair in Oct. 08 because it was looking thin and uneven and I recently cut my bangs and hair again for the same problem. I don't know what's going on but maybe it has something with the fact that I sleep on the slow growing side the most. I'm gonna have to change that up.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I think it's hard to tell what grows the quickest unless you bring the measuring tape out. My first thought was to say my nape because it is APL meanwhile the front and middle are between NL & CBL. However, they're probably that length because of where they are located on my head. The sides are about APL too. What I'm almost sure of though is that the middle grows a tad slower.

Last edited:
My sides grow faster. Right now one side is slighty longer than the other but as others here have said I think it is b/c of my sleeping positions.

My crown and midback area grow the fastest,the rest is a whole nother story.

Same here! I can barely keep up with the NG in my crown/midback, but the nape is barely inching along.

On the other hand, I wonder if a slow growing crown might be the result of wearing ponytails or buns for long periods of time.

Last edited:
I FEEL YOU OP! Lol, my nape grows faster than anywhere else...it's starting to make my twistouts and bantu knotouts look awkward :look:

wow, i thought i was the only one. the back and middle of my head grows the fastest, but my sides grow slllooowwwwllly. lol. and after looking at some pics, my left is always shorter than the right. i was trying to figure out why i'd made so little progress till i figured out that my stylist was constantly "trimming" (more like cutting) my hair to keep it even. i've decided to go on a 6 month personal challange with no cutting or trims, and see where i'm at then. i'm not sure if the left side grows slower, or if it just always broke off, so it appeared shorter. i always wrapped my hair, so wondering if that was part of the culprit. but i agree, i have alot of ng everywhere else, except my sides and edges. it's weird.

wow, i thought i was the only one. the back and middle of my head grows the fastest, but my sides grow slllooowwwwllly. lol. and after looking at some pics, my left is always shorter than the right. i was trying to figure out why i'd made so little progress till i figured out that my stylist was constantly "trimming" (more like cutting) my hair to keep it even. i've decided to go on a 6 month personal challange with no cutting or trims, and see where i'm at then. i'm not sure if the left side grows slower, or if it just always broke off, so it appeared shorter. i always wrapped my hair, so wondering if that was part of the culprit. but i agree, i have alot of ng everywhere else, except my sides and edges. it's weird.

Can wrapping cause breakage or problems???

this is happening to me, normally it's not noticeable and grows more even, but this time around there is a huge difference, my left side front is full apl while my right side is a bit above it.

i'm thinking of cutting it to even it out, I don't have patience to wait for it to even out if it does :(

My front has always grown longer/faster than the back of my head.
Now on top of that, my right side is running some type of sprint. It is soo much longer than the right side. I keep cutting it even and it grows back longer every time.

I've been trying to figure out a way to combat this for some time now. I'm going to start sleeping on my right side and see if that helps. :ohwell:

Um, YES!!! stupse....the sides and back grow about 2x as fast as the crown :fistshake: note my mullet-esque WnG in my siggy :lol: I'm actually considering using MN just in the cown area.

The back (middle) grows in the fastest, I always have the most new growth there and it is way longer than the sides of my hair!!!

the right side of my hair is always about a half inch longer than the other. dont know why. dont really care as long as it keeps growing.

the right side of my hair is always about a half inch longer than the other. dont know why. dont really care as long as it keeps growing.

Mine is the same way...AND I always have a gap on the back left side of my ends. My stylist always cuts it (I end up losing about 2-2.5") to even it out and it grows back the same way. :sad:

Mine is the same way...AND I always have a gap on the back left side of my ends. My stylist always cuts it (I end up losing about 2-2.5") to even it out and it grows back the same way. :sad:

My right side does the same thing :wallbash: I am constantly cutting INCHES of my hair to even it up, but I am leaving my wayward ways behind. The ladies are growing on me. I'm going to try stretching and not clipping...pray for me :pray:

I still wanna cut mine to even it up but if this is how my hair grows and I never noticed then I'm not even gonna waste time cutting it. Thank God for shrinkage.

My hair is growing uneven due to a crazy chop I did. lol, So I won't wear my hair down until the hair grows in more fully. I did some MEGA snipping over the past 6 months.

I thought I was the only one. My hair has always grown lop-sided...

One of my old beauticians told me that the side that you sleep on grows slower than the other. When I sat in her chair and she first looked at my hair she was able to tell me what side I slept on!!I had to actually think about it, but she was right. Why? Idk, maybe the follicles are smothered by the weight or something. Maybe an expert hair stylist can elaborate on this.

Back