Ion Steam Pro Staightening Brush

Okay so I used the iron this past Saturday. I knew my Saturday was going to be super hectic, so I prepoo'd Friday night, shampoo'd and did a quick in shower DC Sat morning. Applied my leave in and twisted my hair then went for my pedicure. When I got back home, my hair was maybe 85-90% dry. I used the iron on 410 because I wanted my hair pretty straight. I LOVE the results. Next time I'll do it on fully dried hair, because I wound up doing an extra pass to get the damp parts fully dry. I'm not tripping over it, but I know for next time.

After I finished I added a little moisturizer and wrapped my hair while I got ready. When I upwrapped, hair was swangy, moist and healthy. :yep: Totally in love. It's different than when I flat iron, as I like my flat iron result to be super silky hair. This wasn't *silky* per se (not to me anyway) but still amazing. Last night I added a little leave in and a touch of styling mousse to 5 sections and added flexi rods overnight. Results are below:

View attachment 412527

View attachment 412529
Super duper pleased. My hair feels AMAZING. I haven't decided how often I'll use it and keep an eye out for any negative reactions on my hair, but in my book, winner winner chicken dinner lol :yep:
Wow! Very nice.

Reflection:

I really love the tool, performance, and results.

My hair and synthetic ingredients . . . :nono:.

For that reason, I'm not sure how often I can do this. I'm still working to reset my hair back to its previous state.

I thought my protein and DC treatment would suffice, but I'm having to go back in: I had to wash 3x with Kinky Curly shampoo (to remove all that product that I thought I'd removed but was probably still there, blocking my initial protein and DC treatments). That's crazy: That poo was in my donate pile because typically it's too stripping.

I did Chicoro's moisture-drenched prepoo. I'll do another protein treatment, a tea rinse, and a hot oil treatment containing amla.

How much product did you use? What all did you use? I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue.

How much product did you use? What all did you use? I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue.

I only used Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Heat Protector Straightening Serum, and I used about a quarter-sized amount per section. I brushed it through my damp hair, then used the Ion steam pro.

It's not about the Ion steam pro. It really is about synthetic products on my hair. I've been through this with synthetic ingredients before: My hair NEVER got right until I found the right, natural products. That was a clue. Then one time I went to a salon and the stylist used products with synthetic ingredients. Took me DAYS to get my hair back alright, from feeling very rough and dry to feeling smooth, hydrated, and moisturized again. That experience was another clue. A third clue: That Joico DC and balm and stuff that people rave about? Craptastic for my hair. Hardly ANYTHING synthetic that does most people's hair well is even okay for my hair. She's finicky.

I only used Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Heat Protector Straightening Serum, and I used about a quarter-sized amount per section. I brushed it through my damp hair, then used the Ion steam pro.

It's not about the Ion steam pro. It really is about synthetic products on my hair. I've been through this with synthetic ingredients before: My hair NEVER got right until I found the right, natural products. That was a clue. Then one time I went to a salon and the stylist used products with synthetic ingredients. Took me DAYS to get my hair back alright, from feeling very rough and dry to feeling smooth, hydrated, and moisturized again. That experience was another clue. A third clue: That Joico DC and balm and stuff that people rave about? Craptastic for my hair. Hardly ANYTHING synthetic that does most people's hair well is even okay for my hair. She's finicky.

I've never used that product but I have heard of it. Have you ever used Aphogee products or Chi products? Aphogee liquid leave-in has never done me wrong for straigbtening purposes lol.

So did you clarify your hair yet so you have a clean slate to work with? You tbink it was just the products and not too much heat? What temp did you use, you have fine strands right? Lawd, keep us posted and let us know if you need suggestions.

BTW that seems like a lot of serum per section. Usually you only need small amount for your entire head.

I use less than a quarter size amount of ANYTHING (leave in, moisturizer, styling product etc.) for my whole head! I think that's too much... and I'm not a huge fan of serums, especially thick serums like the one you mentioned. There are other heat protectants that aren't serums and will let your hair be great. :yep: My HG leave in/heat protectant is Its a 10 leave in. I use about mayyybe 4 sprays for my entire head. Anything more is wayyyyy too much, particularly for my fine strands (plus I love light/flowy/swangy hair). I like the Aphogee green tea spray leave in too; I think that's the one @grownwomanaz might be speaking of?

I know this board makes people heat paranoid :lol: so we start slapping goo gobs of product on our hair in an effort to ward off the demon heat. :drunk: Totally not necessary. Good products, good tools, good technique - you're good. :yep: Your issue may be overuse of products, not the product itself. When I use the Joico balm, I only use enough to penetrate my strands. It's not necessary for my fine hair to have a thick coating of product to the point that my hair is white; my hair cant take alladat.

I also know some folks can't take synthetic hair products. If you aren't comfy experimenting then maybe this tool won't work for you. But if it were me, I wouldn't give up if it gave me the results I wanted...

HTH!

Last edited:
I use less than a quarter size amount of ANYTHING (leave in, moisturizer, styling product etc.) for my whole head! I think that's too much... and I'm not a huge fan of serums, especially thick serums like the one you mentioned. There are other heat protectants that aren't serums and will let your hair be great. :yep: My HG leave in/heat protectant is Its a 10 leave in. I use about mayyybe 4 sprays for my entire head. Anything more is wayyyyy too much, particularly for my fine strands (plus I love light/flowy/swangy hair). I like the Aphogee green tea spray leave in too; I think that's the one @grownwomanaz might be speaking of?

I know this board makes people heat paranoid :lol: so we start slapping goo gobs of product on our hair in an effort to ward off the demon heat. :drunk: Totally not necessary. Good products, good tools, good technique - you're good. :yep: Your issue may be overuse of products, not the product itself. When I use the Joico balm, I only use enough to penetrate my strands. It's not necessary for my fine hair to have a thick coating of product to the point that my hair is white; my hair cant take alladat.

I also know some folks can't take synthetic hair products. If you aren't comfy experimenting then maybe this tool won't work for you. But if it were me, I wouldn't give up if it gave me the results I wanted...

HTH!

Funny!

I just TODAY bought the Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer (leave-in) for a different reason: Because it was discussed in a thread discussing how people have kept their hair together for years (or some topic like that).

I've never used that product but I have heard of it. Have you ever used Aphogee products or Chi products? Aphogee liquid leave-in has never done me wrong for straigbtening purposes lol.

So did you clarify your hair yet so you have a clean slate to work with? You tbink it was just the products and not too much heat? What temp did you use, you have fine strands right? Lawd, keep us posted and let us know if you need suggestions.

BTW that seems like a lot of serum per section. Usually you only need small amount for your entire head.

I've used Chi. It's good, but it was drying with the other heating brush I used. It might be great with this one, since the tools is so moisture-infusing.

I just TODAY bought the Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer (leave-in) for a different reason: Because it was discussed in a thread discussing how people have kept their hair together for years (or some topic like that).

I've used Chi. It's good, but it was drying with the other heating brush I used. It might be great with this one, since the tools is so moisture-infusing.

Chi is drying to me as well. It's like straight up protein. There are some natural oils that can be used as a heat protectant like grapeseed oil, or Keracare's Essential Oil Blend. It can be used for heat styling.

I don't have any of the distilled water LOL but i'm still going to test this tonight. I just got it today and i'm due for a hair wash but forgot to get the water last shopping trip.
Just one time shouldn't destroy it right :look:

I don't have any of the distilled water LOL but i'm still going to test this tonight. I just got it today and i'm due for a hair wash but forgot to get the water last shopping trip.
Just one time shouldn't destroy it right :look:

I wouldn't think one use would destroy it, because it's about the super tiny particles in regular water building up in the tool. But I don't know for sure.

Can't wait to hear your review!

Last edited:

HTH!

I love the green tea one too (Aphogee) but I was talking about the one in the big pink bottle. The leave in that is kinda milky. Totatlly agree with everything you stated/suggested for our sis.

I love the green tea one too (Aphogee) but I was talking about the one in the big pink bottle. The leave in that is kinda milky. Totatlly agree with everything you stated/suggested for our sis.
The Provitamin one right? That's the actual leave-in The Green Tea is a reconstructor, so I get what you are saying. I like that one too. We do have to get away with using so much heat protectant and product. You start cooking, and causing stiffness when doing so.

Thanks for all the tips ladies.

I will try again.

I'll get the other Aphogee milky product to try.

But phew: Too little product can = heat damage. Too much product can = cooking the hair.

I'm likely going to chillax on this for a bit, maybe straighten for my in-laws' big party. I'll just expect to get in practice with this to hone my skills, maybe like 2-3 times a year on special occasions. After awhile, I'll have product application down. :yep: :smile:

It's a great tool for the person who is skilled at straightening, for sure.

Thanks for all the tips ladies.

I will try again.

I'll get the other Aphogee milky product to try.

But phew: Too little product can = heat damage. Too much product can = cooking the hair.

I'm likely going to chillax on this for a bit, maybe straighten for my in-laws' big party. I'll just expect to get in practice with this to hone my skills, maybe like 2-3 times a year on special occasions. After awhile, I'll have product application down. :yep: :smile:

It's a great tool for the person who is skilled at straightening, for sure.
Heat damage happens when there is little to no moisture in the hair and the setting is too high. You don't get heat damage from blow drying. You may experience dryness from the blow dryer. The flat iron is the culprit. You take a risk doing a silk press. You are pressing the hair. You have to be careful and be knowledgeable in flat irons and the science behind the plate material. Titanium looks really pretty and shiny, but will burn the hair. You can't use that on every hair type, and you have to understand what heat setting will work.

My review is...
tenor.gif

It pulls my hair out, is heavy and is totally not worth it to me. Not a single benefit over a nice lightweight FHI flat iron . It's going back.

2 ppl i know so far that dont like it. I might return without even trying. :(
I honestly see zero benefits of this over a flat iron. if your hair is fine you probably won't like it.
i have kind of a lot of hair but it's on the fine side. it doesn't have a dense thickness to it, its like fairy hair lol.. and this just tugs on it. it's too heavy. it actually ripped hairs out.

It also seemed hella hot for 375. when i use my flat iron at 370 it seems less hot somehow. could be my imagination.

I honestly see zero benefits of this over a flat iron. if your hair is fine you probably won't like it.
i have kind of a lot of hair but it's on the fine side. it doesn't have a dense thickness to it, its like fairy hair lol.. and this just tugs on it. it's too heavy. it actually ripped hairs out.

It also seemed hella hot for 375. when i use my flat iron at 370 it seems less hot somehow. could be my imagination.
my hair is fine im scared. @ms.blue has a lot of volume but im not sure about the strands? and she didnt like it either so i think i wont bother.

I have fine hair too. The benefit of this for me is that I only have to use one heating tool vs blow drying AND flat ironing. But I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for any adverse reactions...

i have fine hair and I'm relaxed, so I know I won't be able to use this on my hair. I can't use brushes on my hair. No paddle brushes, denman brushes, etc.. when I blow dry, I use a comb attachment.
I think this iron will benefit my DD more. She has fine hair too, but her hair is much more stronger than mine.

Back