Interesting Observation: Coarse hair generally grows longer without much care?

My hair has grown very long (waist when little mbl in teens)when little and in my teens, but only when it was left alone (when mom took care of it, or I was too busy to style and just did wraps or whatever and left it alone after adding moisture). Now I know why I need very little manipulation, because of these strands.

:nono: omg, I just did the strand test and I AM SO SAD. My hair is beyond fine, it's . . . Maybe i'm using the wrong thread, because the thread I used just seemed giant next to my hair. So then I went and started to unravel the thread to look at my hair next to the 1/2 diameter of the thread. :sad: this didnt make it any better because first of all, my hair is even thinner than that, but two, as I was trying to unravel it, the 1/2 thread kept breaking and I was thinking, dang, is my hair line that too. :cry2:

Are they the size of 1/2 a sewing thread (1 ply)?

Is that the whole thread? Or did you separate it into 2 plies and just use one. If that's the whole thread, your hair is really thick.

I'm not sure what kind of hair I have. :drunk:

:blush: That thread is 1-Ply. Is that what I was supposed to do??

I will post a pic tomorrow with a 2-ply.

I wouldn't say this is true. I have medium/fine hair and growing hair has never been an issue for me. I use to cut it every August (my birthday) into a chinlength bob. Every year it would be APL or BSL by the time I went to cut it again. Also, I am one of those people that would rarely wash their hair. I would wash maybe once a month and I have NEVER done protective styles. Hell, I had never heard of any such thing until I joined this forum. I will say that I was never into really using a lot of heat. I would only use a flat-iron or curling iron once a week. I truly do think that genetics plays a major part in the way your hair grows.

I just did a strand test. I took a picture of my hair side-by-side with some sewing thread.

Here is a pic (my hair is on the bottom):

StrandTest.jpg

The pic may not be very clear but I hope that you can see the difference.

Those strands ARE thick! That's how mine are!

It makes sense that dense hair would retain length easier than thin hair. There are more hairs with the potential to survive normal wear and tear.

Do you find this to be true?

Something I have come to notice is that people who I would consider supergrowers whose hair grows at a faster rate and longer lengths on the board and IRL generally tend to have very coarse hair. And by coarse I mean that they have very thick, thread-like strands of hair. It doesn*t matter if they are 3a or 4z. I have even seen such people with 4b coarse hair relax every 4 weeks, flat-iron & curl their hair daily and wash once every other blue moon and have BSL-MBL that looks visibly healthy and thick.

In a nuclear holocaust their bodies would be blown to smithereens, but their hair would still be there all thick & lush like. This is not limited to just blacks either because I have noticed that races such as Indians and people of Asian descent who generally have coarser hair, grow their hair to much longer lengths without much care.
I agree with your observation.

My mom has hair like this. You should see one of her hair strands compared to mine:nono:....mine is almost invisible and hers is so thick. I'd love my strands to be thicker and heavier.

I just did a strand test. I took a picture of my hair side-by-side with some sewing thread.

Here is a pic (my hair is on the bottom):

StrandTest.jpg

The pic may not be very clear but I hope that you can see the difference.

Dang, my hair probably wouldn't even show up in a pic....it'd just be a blank pic:lachen:.

As a fine-haired lady, I tend to agree with the OP. Fine hair is most prone to breakage and can become damaged much easier, especially due to heat and over-manipulation. I'm learning, however, that my hair loves good protein and does worse with too much moisture. I think thicker, more dense and coarse hair thrives much better than mine. It took me much longer to go from shoulder length to APL. It took 2 years with a number of setbacks. Now I'm finally closing in on BSL but I find that I still need to do protective styles and be mindful of over-manipulation and over-moisture. No direct heat is also key. We fine ladies have to work much harder to retain length. Not all, but most of us...

Last edited:
This thread has me really thinking. Instead of everyone following people with their same hair type shouldn't we be looking more at strand size? A type 4a fine would be totally different than a 4a thick as far as regimen, products, retaining length, heat use, etc.

It makes more sense to me than just going by hair type because it all boils down to taking care of those hair strands.

I know I can't do the same things as someone with thick strands and still have hair, lol.

Last edited:
This thread has me really thinking. Instead of everyone following people with their same hair type shouldn't we be looking more at strand size? A type 4a fine would be totally different than a 4a thick as far as regimen, products, retaining length, heat use, etc.

It makes more sense to me than just going by hair type because it all boils down to taking care of those hair strands.

I know I can't the same things as someone with thick strands and still have hair, lol.

I AGREE!!! I just made a post about this!

I know I can't do the same things as someone with thick strands and still have hair, lol.

Yes. And I think a lot of people realize that once they get further into their hair journey.

Thank goodness my hair is neither fine nor coarse, that would just make life difficult.

Back