Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I'll be 16 weeks post on Tuesday. I initially had planned to stretch 16 weeks but now that I'm there, I'm not ready to relax!! I'm going to try for 26 weeks/6 months. The only problem I'm having is styling options. I have not used heat in this stretch and I want to continue to not use heat. For the first 12 weeks I rocked a bun. Then I switched to braid/twist outs. I like braid/twist outs but it seems like alot of manipulation because I have to re-do it every 2 to 3 days. But it seems like I get less breakage with braid/twist outs than I do with bunning. I thought about box braids but at this stage in my stretch, I really don't want anyone else's hands in my hair!!!

Sigh.......the stretching part is relatively easy. It's the styling options that have me stumped!!! But I push on!! 26 weeks/6 months here I come!!

I'll be in this thread alot, BTW. This is the first time I've stretched this long and I'll need all the encouragement I can get.

Also, NanCeBoTwin, you're a big inspiration. I remember your results after you completed a 33 week stretch. I was in awe of your progress. That's a big reason why I don't want to end my stretch at 16 weeks. I think of your progress and it keeps me going!!!

I'm not 6+ months post, but this will be my second time stretching for 8+ months. I prefer to be relaxed, thats what kept me from going natural the first time, and that'll be what stops me from going natural this time. While I love my NG, I prefer to be chemically straightened at this point in my life.

You should notice a change in thickness when you relax in September, I had a big increase in thickness after my 34 week stretch. As long as you continue to take care of you hair after you relax in Sept, the breakage should not start back up. Do know what caused the initial breakage?

Sorry it has taken so long to back to you. I didn't see your post before.

My breakage started from an overprocessing mishap. My stylist was working on too many people at the same time. My scalp doesn't burn easily so I wasn't paying attention to the time. The perm stayed in my hair much longer than it should have. Oddly my hair didn't start breaking right away though. It started after the next perm which was applied for the correct amount of time. Because of that, it took me awhile to figure out that the chemicals were the culprit. I thought it was my diet or a health issue so I tried focusing on that but it turned out that my health and my diet where fine. It wasn't until I found LHCF and did a four-month stretch that my hair stopped breaking.

I'm currently 31 weeks post and I'm loving this stretch! I do feel style challenged sometimes but I just resolved that by putting Senegalese twists in. I'm going to get the edges touched up towards the end of May then take them out at the end of June. I plan to do cornrows and braidouts for the summer. I make 1 yr post on Sept. 19th and I'll decide what's next at that time.

Thanks for your feedback ladies!

I'm still going strong but this past week I've been having an internal battle. I really want to stretch through the entire summer, however, I'm missing my hair and getting very anxious looking at my NG. The curiosity is killing me seeing the amount I have now, I'd love to see how much I've progressed.
I really don't know what I'm going to do....

I'm still going strong but this past week I've been having an internal battle. I really want to stretch through the entire summer, however, I'm missing my hair and getting very anxious looking at my NG. The curiosity is killing me seeing the amount I have now, I'd love to see how much I've progressed.
I really don't know what I'm going to do....

I feel you NanCe, I've stretched for a little over a year and I still have about 8 weeks to go before even considering a retouch. I am DYING to see my progress. All I could suggest is you putting your hair in a style where you wont have to see it as much. If it weren't for my braids, I would be stretching my hair every second checking for progress. :lachen::rolleyes:

I feel you NanCe, I've stretched for a little over a year and I still have about 8 weeks to go before even considering a retouch. I am DYING to see my progress. All I could suggest is you putting your hair in a style where you wont have to see it as much. If it weren't for my braids, I would be stretching my hair every second checking for progress. :lachen::rolleyes:

Girl, I'm so glad you are feeling me. This is my second time doing this so I know the reward. I just really want to see, LOL.....

It's really sad, I'm not having any problems, no excessive shedding, no breakage, I'm bunning most of the time, but I think I'm going to do some bantu knots tonight. I want to relax to see the results only... You're right, I should hide my hair from myself, I'm not big on weave or braids. But I've been considering braids a lot lately, corn rows actually IDK. I love my new growth so much that if my hair is free I can't help but touch it, which is why I've been bunning so much this time around...we'll see what happens. I'm just glad I have this thread to vent through.

Hey ladies...wow...it's been so long since I've been on any of these forums but I had to post in this one because this month is my 1 year anniversary of being relaxer free. Just had to give the newbies a bit of inspiration that this thing is definitely doable...I have not permed for a year and while it was hard at times...it was also very inspirational. I've learned so much about myself (including my hair!) during this past year that I look back in amazement. As I'm about 2-3 inches away from being fully natural (just did a semi cut yesterday!)...I can tell you that it truly is a journey..and one you will never forget...it's like I'm an entirely different person. Even my diet has changed!

Good luck in your journey Ladies!:drunk:

I'm SUPPOSED to stretch to 26 weeks. I'll be 17 weeks on Tuesday and I really want to relax NOW!! My issue is styling. For some reason, it's too puffy for a smooth bun now. Even with the scarf method. So my styling options are braid or twist outs. And I'm not feeling either one of those styles right now!!

The relaxer box (Phyto II) is out on the counter right now!! I'm going to try to resist but I don't know!!! The only thing that's stopping me from doing it this very minute is that I'm sleepy and need a nap!!!

I'm SUPPOSED to stretch to 26 weeks. I'll be 17 weeks on Tuesday and I really want to relax NOW!! My issue is styling. For some reason, it's too puffy for a smooth bun now. Even with the scarf method. So my styling options are braid or twist outs. And I'm not feeling either one of those styles right now!!

The relaxer box (Phyto II) is out on the counter right now!! I'm going to try to resist but I don't know!!! The only thing that's stopping me from doing it this very minute is that I'm sleepy and need a nap!!!

If you really want to relax, then by all means I'm definitely not one to try and stop you, lol. But, Have you tried HV's whipped Jelly? It's great for smoothing w/ the scarf method. I've incorporated it into my reggie this time around and love it. I started using it consistently a few weeks ago.

If you really want to relax, then by all means I'm definitely not one to try and stop you, lol. But, Have you tried HV's whipped Jelly? It's great for smoothing w/ the scarf method. I've incorporated it into my reggie this time around and love it. I started using it consistently a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the encouragement!! I'm going to hold off for now. I just feel so limited as to what to do with my hair at this point. I'm going to corn row it and do a braid out (because that's the easiest thing to do right now).

I know alot of people do box/individual braids, wear wigs or weave it up for long stretches but I do want to do any of those things. So that's why I'm frustrated. I hope I can last 9 more weeks. I'm sure the progress will be awesome!!!

I'm cutting my stretch short ladies. This is my 20th week and I'll be relaxing on Sat at 8:30 am...I'm so excited, I'll be back on Sat to show progress pics.

I can't believe I'm 18 weeks post!!! So I guess I'll be able to make it to 26 weeks after all. I'm really hoping for a thicker head of hair.

Thanks for all your support and encouragement ladies!!!

Okay so my last relaxer was in the begining of March 2010, and I was thinking of holding off on relaxing through the summer... I am falling in love with my newgrowth more and more with every passing day! So much so, I actually thought about no more relaxers period- BUT the hot humid weather that's about to set in here in MI. will dictate all of that! lol

My newgrowth has been acting suprisingly well lately and I have no desire to relax anytime soon. If it keeps acting like this I will continue without relaxer indefinitely~ until need, haha. Well here goes...

I'll be part of the challenge, even though I don't know if I can make it 24 weeks (6 months). I normally relax every 12 weeks and this Saurday I'll be 16 weeks post. I was trying to stretch for 20 weeks. Once I make it to 20 weeks (if I make it to 20 weeks *crosses fingers*), I'll evaluate my hair and see if I can stretch for 1 more month....we'll see!

I'm hoping by the end of my stretch all of the layers in my hair will be at SL so I can cut to SL and have a full, thick head of hair with blunt ends.

One of my favorite threads! Currently 65 weeks into my stretch. Not sure when I will relax again, but I have a baby on the way and I wanted to keep my hair braided up because I will be way too busy to care about hair.

What would happen if I didn't wash my hair over the course of 4 wknds. Will I notice 1/2 inch of new growth. Will applying moist. & sealing w/o washing cause damage? I wanna bun for 4 wks w/o having to straighten my hair once a wk.

ETA. can I join...I'll be 6 months come Sept 25

Last edited:
I'll be part of the challenge, even though I don't know if I can make it 24 weeks (6 months). I normally relax every 12 weeks and this Saurday I'll be 16 weeks post. I was trying to stretch for 20 weeks. Once I make it to 20 weeks (if I make it to 20 weeks *crosses fingers*), I'll evaluate my hair and see if I can stretch for 1 more month....we'll see!

I'm hoping by the end of my stretch all of the layers in my hair will be at SL so I can cut to SL and have a full, thick head of hair with blunt ends.

Your soo close! You can do it!:yep:

What would happen if I didn't wash my hair over the course of 4 wknds. Will I notice 1/2 inch of new growth. Will applying moist. & sealing w/o washing cause damage? I wanna bun for 4 wks w/o having to straighten my hair once a wk.

ETA. can I join...I'll be 6 months come Sept 25

I for about 1 month without washing my hair and I was fine... actually I think the more I don't touch my hair the more it just grows freely... but I like to wear my hair down so I have to take care of it now.:ohwell:

One of my favorite threads! Currently 65 weeks into my stretch. Not sure when I will relax again, but I have a baby on the way and I wanted to keep my hair braided up because I will be way too busy to care about hair.

Congratulations on the baby bundle of joy!:)

Congrats beans4reezy!!

I'll be 17 weeks post tomorrow and I'm trying to stretch to 24 weeks... I'm starting to get the relaxer itch tho b/c I wanna try so many new hairstyles... but my hair only accepts buns, half-wigs, and twist outs at the point.

I'll be 17 weeks post this Saturday and I was trying to go for 20 weeks, but my hair is starting to break more than I'd like to see at the line of demarcation, so I more than likely will be relaxing this Saturday. I keep my NG moist, I did a medium protein treatment week before last and last week I did a reconstructor treatment and I'm still seeing more breakage/shedding than I'd like. I was going to do a cassia treatment this weekend and flat iron my hair for Father's Day, but I'm really leaning to relaxing.

I'm 24 weeks post today! Yay me!! Two more weeks and this stretch is OVER! If I see a significant difference, I'll continue to relax every 26 weeks. If not, 16 is my limit. Style wise, this has been very challenging. But my new growth has behaved very well. No issues there.

Back