In-Laws who are running/ruining your household!

janaq2003

Synopsis of situation:
A close friend of mine has been married for a year. He doesn't have a good relationship with his wife's mother because she has her hand in all of their affairs down to the discipline of their child (they had her in college). The kicker is his wife defends her parents and makes excuses for their behavior. She's mad at hime because he wants nothing to do with them. This is not surprising behavior from them. The mother was this way while they were dating. They control her so they feel he must "bow and kiss the ring". I've run out of advice to give him as this is destroying their marriage! Have any of you ladies had/have this problem and what are you doing/have done to fix the issue?

He went in with his eyes open, so.......................
I know girl. I tried to tell him. He's like my brother,we've been friends for many years and most of the time he listens to me. This time he has gotten himself into a mess. His wife argues with him about her parents and how he can't talk to them like that (defending himself). Her mother went in on his mom basically saying she was lousy.

Her mother went in on his mom basically saying she was lousy.
Oh, heck no, aint nobody gonna talk about my momma. I don't give a flying fig who you are. I will literally beat someone down if they say something about my mother. OH, don't get me started.

Move very very far away.......

Unless his wife is ready to put the smack down there is nothing he can do. Maybe they can see a therapist.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Until the wife learns that she has her own family unit that does not include her parents, he is in for a miserable time.

Do the inlaws live with them? They should try counseling? Also he could try transferring his job away from them if possible.

I know I woulda been HOT if she had said anything about my mom. She woulda never wanted to walk in my house again, cause I'da went clean off.

i would tell her to get the hell on and her take her momma with her.

i would leave. she is not ready to leave the nest yet.

I would have NEVER married someone like that in the first place. :nono: It's up to his wife to make her marriage a top priority. If she's not willing to do that, there's not a whole heck of a lot her husband can do.

There's nothing really left to do but either give an ultimatum to the daughter and see if she changes. Or he has to leave.

Its ridiculous that her parents are up their business. But its even worse that the wife allows it to happen. She's clearly still attached to the teet and can't let go. Moving away doesn't change the fact that the woman doesn't see anything wrong with her parents running her marriage.

If this behavior was going on during the time they were dating and still going on into their marriage there is no hope.

Move very very far away.......

Unless his wife is ready to put the smack down there is nothing he can do. Maybe they can see a therapist.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I suggested that to him. The three stand cord is my friend, HER MAMA, and his wife!!!!

Back