I'm thinking of giving up expensive hair products...

caribeandiva

Human being
i just read the book: "Don't go hair product shopping without me", and apparently cheap products are just as good as the expensive ones. so why am i wasting my money? true, i love the Nexxus line but it's hella expensive! i'm thinking of trying the NTM line next.

There are really good lines that are not very expensive.

I am NEVER giving up on my Kenra clarifying, but Motions, Roux porosity control, Mane and Tail, NTM are good mid priced brands, in my opinion.

I can never get down with the dirt cheap stuff like vo5 and suave, though. Everytime I try my hair acts up.

The expensive products really aren't even working for me. I had no luck with Aveda or Biolage. Elucence is good but I think my hair really likes CON the best out of everything.

Girl I been done that :lol:

Im mainly using CON, Motions, NTM and ORS

I use More Motions than anything though...

I want to try Kenra but it is just out of my league!

It depends on when your actually purchasing your products that make them expensive, because at wal-mart you can get NTM line for like around $6 a piece for only 8oz.(so you end up spending around $24 just for one liter of poo over time) but I can get 2 litters of Nexxus 1poo and 1cond. for only $24 when they are having a sale so I save more money purchasing these products especially since they work for me. Now if the product isn't working I don't care how much it cost, I'm not gonna waste my money.

I know how that feels because when everyone was getting EQP mango butter from wal-mart I couldn't find it so save my life just the glaze and I'm a Let's Jam girl, lol.
KhandiB said:
You know I cannot find NTM at my local walmarts for some reason...

I have the same problem. I live in Nc and the beauty stores, walmarts or the k-mart around my area doesn't sell the ntm. I really want to try that line. I haven't seen tried any drugs stores either...so I'll look there next.

Looks like I have some research to do....

The Kmart near my job in Baltimore does not sell NTM either. That is pretty odd because the Giant and the CVS near my home in the 'burbs has the entire line.

Also, you can always try to order online like at Walgreens and CVS. Often they have sales and then free deals like free shipping or $10 off and order of $50 or more.

HoneyDew said:
There are really good lines that are not very expensive.

I am NEVER giving up on my Kenra clarifying, but Motions, Roux porosity control, Mane and Tail, NTM are good mid priced brands, in my opinion.

I can never get down with the dirt cheap stuff like vo5 and suave, though. Everytime I try my hair acts up.

It's to perfumey like :perplexed

My local Walmart stores had Elasta QP Mango Butter on sale for $1.50 earlier this year and never restocked it.
Kmart had NTM products on sale for $1.50 so I bought a few to give away to my hair buddies.
I noticed you have to go the drug stores to get NTM product and my beloved Suave Milk & Honey.

LABETT said:
My local Walmart stores had Elasta QP Mango Butter on sale for $1.50 earlier this year and never restocked it.
Kmart had NTM products on sale for $1.50 so I bought a few to give away to my hair buddies.
I noticed you have to go the drug stores to get NTM product and my beloved Suave Milk & Honey.

I *think* (no evidence though) EQP Mango Butter is being discontinued. It is on clearance everywhere!

Yall better stock up

caribeandiva said:
i just read the book: "Don't go hair product shopping without me", and apparently cheap products are just as good as the expensive ones. so why am i wasting my money? true, i love the Nexxus line but it's hella expensive! i'm thinking of trying the NTM line next.

Your post just reminded me that I need to take the book back to the library. It was due in last week. I might just ask them can I buy it from them though.:lachen:

I've always believed that the price doesn't correlate with the actual product that's in the bottle. And besides, most companies make several different brands, just package and market them differently. So that's what you're really paying for.

caribeandiva said:

I feel ya. It can get expensive. That's one thing that I won't do though. It's some cheapies out there that are good, but IMO (for my hair) things like Suave I can't really expect them to take care of my hair. It's mostly water and the shampoos :nono: entirely too stripping and the conditioners don't make up for the stripping AT ALL.

That's why I say I do disagree with Paula on a lot of that. Nexxus and Suave can't even be compared. Most salon lines are more concentrated (IMO) and have waaaay better ingredients. A lot of the drugstore lines (suave, herbal essensences, V05, etc) all have the same first ten ingredients, water, cones, a couple of moisturizing alcohols, and parabens. I need oils, protein, pathenols, and other moisturizing ingredients. But that's just my opinion and stuff.

I could get down with higher end drugstore stuff like Elasta QP, Profective, Africa's best, and such. I am not really knocking those lines when I say drugstore stuff.

B_Phlyy said:
Your post just reminded me that I need to take the book back to the library. It was due in last week. I might just ask them can I buy it from them though.:lachen:

I've always believed that the price doesn't correlate with the actual product that's in the bottle. And besides, most companies make several different brands, just package and market them differently. So that's what you're really paying for.

right look at what loreal does

Kerastase Nutritive Masquintense Intense Enriching Treatment
price: $44.99 for 5.1 oz

ingredients: Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Isopropyl Alcohol, Sodium PCA, Methylparaben, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth 10, Helianthus Annuus (Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil), Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Parfum (Fragrance)

Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Nourishing Conditioner
price: $19.00 for 6.8 oz

ingredients: Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Olea Europea/olive fruit oil, persia gratissima/Avacado Oil, Tricedith-6, 2-oleamido-1.3 octadecancdiol, lanolin, citrus limonum/ lemon peel oil, cetyl esters, methylparaben, chlorchexidine dihydrochloride, cetrimonium chloride, dimethyl tin dinecodecyl ester, parfum/fragrance

REDKEN 5th Avenue NYC Smooth Down Butter Treat Smoothing Treatment for Dry & Unruly Hair
price: $14.75 for 8.5 oz

ingredients: Water/Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Lanolin, Fragrance/Parfum, Methylparaben, Cetrimonium Chlordie, Trideceth-12, Mica, Titanium Dioxide/CL 77891, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Oleth-10, Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate, Iron Oxides/CL 77491, Lecithin, Phosphoric Acid, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil/Macadamia Ternifolia, Candelilla Wax/Candelilla Cera, Phenozyethanol, Ethylparaben (D4914/1).

Sleek.look by Matrix Smoothing System Conditioner
price: $13.99 for 13.5 oz

ingredients: Water/Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Lanolin, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Cetrimonium Chloride, Tricontanyl PVP, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Shea Butter Fruit, Butyrospermum Parkii, Silk Amino Acids

LOREAL Natures Therapy Mega Moisture Nurturing Creme for Very Dry, Chemically Processed Hair
price: $11.75 for 16 oz

ingredients: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Sodium PCA, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Trideceth-12, Sunflower Seed Oil, Chlorhexidine, Dihydrochloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Yellow 5.,

LOREAL Natures Therapy Natural Relaxed Intense Moisture Deep Conditioner
price: $7.75 for 4 oz

ingredients: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Potato Starch Modified, Cetyl Esters, Isopropyl Alcohol, Parfum, Methylparabe, Trideceth-12, Hydroxypropyltrimoium, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citric Acid, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Geranoil, Linalool, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, cetrimonium Chloride, Hexyl Cinnamal, Citromellool, 2-Oleamido-1, 3-Octadecanediol, Taurine, Limonene

Loreal Vive Pro Smooth Intense Conditioner for Dry, Rebellious Thick Hair
price: $4.99 for 13 oz
ingredients: Aqua Water , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Glycerin , Amodimethicone , Lanolin , Parfum Fragrance , Cetyl Esters , Methylparaben , Camelina Sativa Camelina Sativa Seed Oil , Cetrimonium Chloride , Trideceth-12 , Hexyl Cinnamal , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Linalool , Limonene , Benzyl Salicylate , Yellow 10 CI 47005 , Citronellol , Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone , Geraniol , Red 4 CI 14700

Loreal Vive Smooth-Intense Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy or Rebellious Hair
price: $3.49 for 13 oz

Ingredients: Water , Cetearyl Alcohol , Potato Starch Modified , Amodimethicone , Behentrimonium Chloride , Fragrance , Cetyl Esters , Lauryl PEG , PPG-18 , 18 Methicone , Methylparaben , Trideceth-12 , Camelina Sativa Seed Oil , Citric Acid , Cetrimonium Chloride , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , Yellow 10 , Red 4 , BHT

There are some expensive hair products that work well for me and some less expensive products (suave milk and honey) that work well for me. I am saying this to say regardless of the price if it works well for me I am not going to give it up.

Expensive: Ouidad Climate Control and Deep Condition, All the Devacurl products, Aveda, BBD Stretch, Miss Jessies Buttercream

No Expensive: Jason Bioton Conditioner, Suave Milk and Honey, CD Hair Milk

destiny616 said:
right look at what loreal does

Kerastase Nutritive Masquintense Intense Enriching Treatment
price: $44.99 for 5.1 oz

ingredients: Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Isopropyl Alcohol, Sodium PCA, Methylparaben, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth 10, Helianthus Annuus (Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil), Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Parfum (Fragrance)

Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Nourishing Conditioner
price: $19.00 for 6.8 oz

ingredients: Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Olea Europea/olive fruit oil, persia gratissima/Avacado Oil, Tricedith-6, 2-oleamido-1.3 octadecancdiol, lanolin, citrus limonum/ lemon peel oil, cetyl esters, methylparaben, chlorchexidine dihydrochloride, cetrimonium chloride, dimethyl tin dinecodecyl ester, parfum/fragrance

REDKEN 5th Avenue NYC Smooth Down Butter Treat Smoothing Treatment for Dry & Unruly Hair
price: $14.75 for 8.5 oz

ingredients: Water/Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Lanolin, Fragrance/Parfum, Methylparaben, Cetrimonium Chlordie, Trideceth-12, Mica, Titanium Dioxide/CL 77891, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Oleth-10, Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate, Iron Oxides/CL 77491, Lecithin, Phosphoric Acid, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil/Macadamia Ternifolia, Candelilla Wax/Candelilla Cera, Phenozyethanol, Ethylparaben (D4914/1).

Sleek.look by Matrix Smoothing System Conditioner
price: $13.99 for 13.5 oz

ingredients: Water/Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Lanolin, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Cetrimonium Chloride, Tricontanyl PVP, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Shea Butter Fruit, Butyrospermum Parkii, Silk Amino Acids

LOREAL Natures Therapy Mega Moisture Nurturing Creme for Very Dry, Chemically Processed Hair
price: $11.75 for 16 oz

ingredients: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Sodium PCA, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Trideceth-12, Sunflower Seed Oil, Chlorhexidine, Dihydrochloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Yellow 5.,

LOREAL Natures Therapy Natural Relaxed Intense Moisture Deep Conditioner
price: $7.75 for 4 oz

ingredients: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Potato Starch Modified, Cetyl Esters, Isopropyl Alcohol, Parfum, Methylparabe, Trideceth-12, Hydroxypropyltrimoium, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citric Acid, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Geranoil, Linalool, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, cetrimonium Chloride, Hexyl Cinnamal, Citromellool, 2-Oleamido-1, 3-Octadecanediol, Taurine, Limonene

Loreal Vive Pro Smooth Intense Conditioner for Dry, Rebellious Thick Hair
price: $4.99 for 13 oz
ingredients: Aqua Water , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Glycerin , Amodimethicone , Lanolin , Parfum Fragrance , Cetyl Esters , Methylparaben , Camelina Sativa Camelina Sativa Seed Oil , Cetrimonium Chloride , Trideceth-12 , Hexyl Cinnamal , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Linalool , Limonene , Benzyl Salicylate , Yellow 10 CI 47005 , Citronellol , Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone , Geraniol , Red 4 CI 14700

Loreal Vive Smooth-Intense Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy or Rebellious Hair
price: $3.49 for 13 oz

Ingredients: Water , Cetearyl Alcohol , Potato Starch Modified , Amodimethicone , Behentrimonium Chloride , Fragrance , Cetyl Esters , Lauryl PEG , PPG-18 , 18 Methicone , Methylparaben , Trideceth-12 , Camelina Sativa Seed Oil , Citric Acid , Cetrimonium Chloride , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , Yellow 10 , Red 4 , BHT

This is why I love hair boards, you learn something everyday.

When Kerastase first came out, I was seriously considering getting a new job or doing some extra chores to pay for some of the conditioner. But when someone told me to check out the site, and I found out I could get the same product from the drugstore L'Oreal line, I was like no way.

I will NEVER give up using my expensive products, but just like someone else said they are expensive depending on where you purchase them. I have a professional license so I buy products at wholesale. Like the Mizani H20 Rose (I think that's what it is) that has a retail price of $18, I get it for $9 or less depending on what type of sale the BSS is having.

I am reading "Beautiful Black Hair" by Shamboosie and she recommends that we use high quality products for our hair.

LABETT said:
Same thing happened here Labett. I wonder why that happened?

Last edited:
pink_n_green_iz_me said:
I am reading "Beautiful Black Hair" by Shamboosie and she recommends that we use high quality products for our hair.

I have that book and not to knock you or anything, but high quality does not mean high price. He even says in there that you can get high quality products at the drugstore.

B_Phlyy said:
I have that book and not to knock you or anything, but high quality does not mean high price. He even says in there that you can get high quality products at the drugstore.

right, i have the book to and i don't agree with everything in there, he has some good advice but some the things he says :perplexed , it all about the ingredients, quality ingredients equal quality products, not price, things that have been deemed cheap fillers and bad ingredients such as isopropyl alcohol, mineral oil, lanolin, sd alcohol, sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens etc... are found in high end products as well

Higher end products are what stopped my pjism.. I kept buying cheaper products thinking I was saving $$$ but I really wasn't because they didn't work in my hair which caused me to abandon it and find buy more stuff.

Aveda DR line is great
Elucence Acidfying shampoo detangles better than CON and leaves my hair with no buildup (1 liter is $12)
Elucence Con can be used as a leave in and a con

Not high end but my hair loves
QB heavy cream - $10 for 6 oz but you don't need much
QB detangler - $16 for 12 oz but it moisturizers better than anything I have bought
Giovanni 50/50 conditioner
Giovanni Direct leave in
Giovanni Nutrifix reconstructor

Henna love it!!!

I have other things to use up but from here on out the items listed above are my staples.
I am actually to the point where I have found my staples and don't have the desire to try anything new...

Shocking!!!

I have tried to incorporate the cheap products into my regimen and my hair gets an attitude every time. More power to the folks that can get the VO5's and Suave's to work for them.

I know my coarse hair loves moisture and CON works well for me and so does Sauve Clarifying Shampoo. But that's about where my love of cheaper products stops as far as shampoos. As far as conditioner, cholesterols and hot oils have never done me wrong. But I am exploring Kenra products right now. I got them on sale at Trade Secret for 2 for $28.00 and so far so good. I think the key is to use an entire line for your shampooes and conditioners to get good results.

B_Phlyy said:

Yes you are absolutely right about that. I've tried using Suave and V05 products on my hair and they just don't work for me. I'm not knocking anyone that uses cheap products, sometimes I wish I could use them, but since I've trained myself to use high quality products (if there is such a thing as training your self to do that) I have to continue to buy the more expensive products. Plus I'm spoiled and high maintenance:lachen: Thank goodness I have my own job to support my habit(s)

My family and friends tease me all the time about using brand name products like MAC, NExxus, Keracare and shopping at the more expensive stores like Macy's, Parisan, Nordstrom, Sephora. Is there something wrong with that??

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
Yes you are absolutely right about that. I've tried using Suave and V05 products on my hair and they just don't work for me. I'm not knocking anyone that uses cheap products, sometimes I wish I could use them, but since I've trained myself to use high quality products (if there is such a thing as training your self to do that) I have to continue to buy the more expensive products. Plus I'm spoiled and high maintenance:lachen: Thank goodness I have my own job to support my habit(s)

My family and friends tease me all the time about using brand name products like MAC, NExxus, Keracare and shopping at the more expensive stores like Macy's, Parisan, Nordstrom, Sephora. Is there something wrong with that??

Pay your family no mine. My fam does the same "You shop at Macys, you must have $$$". I dare not tell them about Saks or Lord and Taylor...

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
Thank goodness I have my own job to support my habit(s)

Nothing wrong with that at all. I use my Nexxus products (after ready Shamboosie's book) faithfully too. I'm just glad that I've also found some good high quality stuff at my drugstore and Sally's, so I don't have to blow my measly student budget.

B_Phlyy said:
Nothing wrong with that at all. I use my Nexxus products (after ready Shamboosie's book) faithfully too. I'm just glad that I've also found some good high quality stuff at my drugstore and Sally's, so I don't have to blow my measly student budget.

Ok I feel much better now. My mom is the only one that agrees with me, she's always told me, "you will never be happy unless you get the things you want out of life" and that is so true

Back