I'm about to have a nervy B!!

L.Brown1114

my mother just told me that my hair looks JUST like my father's and how when it grew out it still stayed thick and afro like and you never get a chance to see the curls because of the thickness. im freakin out cuz i'm not lookin to have no afro for the rest of my life, this isnt the 70's. did anyone have a BC head like mine and can hopefully show me what it looks like now cuz i'm almost to the point of crying!

003.jpg

I'm sorry but...WHAT?

Can you please clarify your question so that some of the lovely ladies that recently BC'D can assist you.

the fact that its too thick!! did anyone else have very thick hair when it was short to grow out into normal hair or am i going to have just a big afro??

this is a great example of what im talking about!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs_WX7Hoors

I love her hair...I don't know, if you think your hair is too thick than you'll find ways to deal/cope if you want to remain natural. Maybe you can get your hair cut in layers to thin it out. I think the shape of cynthiarf's hair doesn't help .
But most people would kill for that kind of thickness. I wish I could give you advice but my hair is on the thinner side.

i've never bc'ed but from your pic I can see your curl pattern, its very pretty....mine is not as readily defined as some of the ladies on here, but we are all different. I do realize that the beauty of unrelaxed hair is being able to play with your hair's natural texture and you will be able to do that...let it grow out and you will be suprised of the natural curl enhancing and defining products there are if you run into trouble with styling...calm down darlin lol!

Last edited:
sorry im not really a fan of BIG hair. full hair is pretty but it just overwhelmed me! i'm so use to dealing with relaxed hair and with my texture i assumed my hair would hang nicely but now idk!

well, give it a year. try some bantu knot outs, twist outs braidouts... if you don't like your texture/thickness, then relax it, or weave it up. don't know what else to tell you. curls ain't the end all be all. there is nothing wrong with 'afro 24/7' hair, and you may or may not have curls. its too soon to tell. also, you asked if its gonna grow out to 'normal' hair. help us help you. what is normal hair in your eyes? anyway, just give it a lot more time and see how you feel in a year. ♥

the fact that its too thick!! did anyone else have very thick hair when it was short to grow out into normal hair or am i going to have just a big afro??

Huh? So an afro is not "normal" hair?

Just to be clear, an afro is a hair style, not a hair type. You can choose to wear your hair in an afro or style it in other ways, like twist/braid/bantu knot outs, rollersets, blow dried, straight, braids/twists, weaves, wigs, and a plethora of other options.

There is a chance that it will never lay down because of your hair type with being manipulated(twists, braids, straightening). If you do not like that, you may want to think about being natural.

Also an afro is a manipulated style. It is a frizzed out and shaped style.

i didnt mean to offend anyone with the word normal. i just meant like the naturals i personally have looked up and studied. but no one seems to b answering my question on how their very thick TWA's turn out....

Girl cut it out, Look you have to embrace what you have. As you gain length the hair will start to hang a little more depending on your hair. The more moisture you give the hair the better your coils and curls will pop.

I started out with this
100_1633.jpg

and this is my hair wet the other day
085.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

I know I could have gotten more defintion with my coils had I used some products. I have 4a/b hair. Sometimes we need products for extra definition. Now Cynthia IMO her hair is a lil too thick for me. I don't see how she deals with all that. If you watch her videos you can see that she trained her hair. Her coils weren't always so defined. She trained her hair. If that is something you desire you should start training your hair as well.

Looks to me our a type 4 with maybe some 3(can't really tell), if you want hang you might only achieve that with a blow out, stretched hair and while hair is wet or in a WnG. You just need to decide if that's something you can accept, and who cares what your mom says? Your dad probably had beautiful hair if it was thick. Maybe he didn't have any defintion because during his time they might have been picking the hair out and manipulation it to appear as if there was no curl pattern.

Last edited:
BTW I see your curl pattern as well. That's the beauty of being natural. As your hair grows it's going to go through so many changes. It's great. So now your hair looks like that but in 6 months to a year your gonna see something totally different.

Please don't get yourself worried early into your journey. Plenty of women hair change after the BC. LynnieB has some beautiful thick hair, you can look at her fotki.
Also back in the 70's, the focus wasn't on maintaining a curl pattern, it was on having a BAA. They picked their hair to no end back then and their products were less than stellar.

It's a new day from back then. Good luck with your journey.

I would swop hair with you!!

As your hair grows, it will end up hanging down, worse comes to the worse, you just comb it down and the weight of it will hang, worry not. I wish I had your problem!Lol!

Please don't get yourself worried early into your journey. Plenty of women hair change after the BC. LynnieB has some beautiful thick hair, you can look at her fotki.
Also back in the 70's, the focus wasn't on maintaining a curl pattern, it was on having a BAA. They picked their hair to no end back then and their products were less than stellar.

It's a new day from back then. Good luck with your journey.

Thanks for thinking of me nikki2229. The OP's post sorta made me sad when I read it but I can definitely understand.

my mother just told me that my hair looks JUST like my father's and how when it grew out it still stayed thick and afro like and you never get a chance to see the curls because of the thickness. im freakin out cuz i'm not lookin to have no afro for the rest of my life, this isnt the 70's. did anyone have a BC head like mine and can hopefully show me what it looks like now cuz i'm almost to the point of crying!

My hair is thick and very afro-like. I'll admit that sometimes it does limit what you can do with it simply because there's so much to deal with but you can manage.

I have a few curls and tons and tons of S-waves but my hair tends to be thready(guessing) and the hair strands them selves are mostly flat vs. round or oval. With alot of product and some coaxing they can clump but if left to its own devices I'll see the occasional curl clump amid a ton of frizz.

I also have multiple textures almost none of them coil except for the last couple inches of hair. Mostly it's big, loose waves in the front and lots of frizz in the back.

The hair straightens easily in rollersets, twists and braids so I just use those to create out styles that hide the different textures and calm down alot of that bulk.

Here's a few pics of various stages and styles:

http://public.fotki.com/IsItOnlyHair/natural-hair--year-/1/march-09-spring-alm/
http://public.fotki.com/IsItOnlyHair/natural-hair--year-/1/november-2009/

Short and picked out: http://public.fotki.com/IsItOnlyHair/natural-hair--year-/1/october-2009-/june-2007.html

Longer and blowed out: http://public.fotki.com/IsItOnlyHair/natural-hair--year-/1/october-2009-/wash-conditioned.html

Shorter hair using Terri's method:
http://public.fotki.com/IsItOnlyHair/textureshair-typing-/fleeing-curosities-/

Longer hair. Rollerset and a twist out: http://public.fotki.com/IsItOnlyHair/natural-hair--year-/1/december-2009/

Hope this helps you feel a just a little bit more positive. I hate to hear someone getting so discouraged this early in the game. Natural hair basically does its own thing but you can definitely manipulate it to look the way you want with the right styles and products.

this is a great example of what im talking about!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs_WX7Hoors

This woman's hair is GORGEOUS! i'm over here :drool: but that's just me...

sorry im not really a fan of BIG hair. full hair is pretty but it just overwhelmed me! i'm so use to dealing with relaxed hair and with my texture i assumed my hair would hang nicely but now idk!

what texture did you assume to have that would "hang nicely?"

i didnt mean to offend anyone with the word normal. i just meant like the naturals i personally have looked up and studied. but no one seems to b answering my question on how their very thick TWA's turn out....

Who are those naturals you looked up to and studied? I would like to see pictures of their hair to have a better understanding and to better assess if I believe it would be attainable for your hair

To be honest with you, in your BC thread when you stated that your curls were very loose I kinda was like :huh: :spinning: :rolleyes: because I just knew you had a false impression of what was to come

For the record-- my hair did not resemble yours when I BC'd-- it looks like you will be in the 4's (a/b combo)

I'm sure you're already aware of the MANY style options you'll have if you decide to continue on as a natural. Just look around at all the natural heads on this board. If you're just not feelin it, you could go back to relaxing-- kinda sux that you chopped all your hair off, but you live and you learn. Try not to be so down and out about it, because at this point you have alot of options. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Maybe you were expecting a looser curl pattern. Not all naturals have it, but the key is to learn how to work with your pattern. My hair is mega thick like yours. When I BC, I will be able to judge how to care for it best. The products that I knew worked for me was Kinky curling custard-the best I tried, but most expensive and eco styler gel. Ecostyler gel gave me good results at a lesser price. I did not give myself time with my natural hair to get to try things with it. Take your time and research. Embrace your hair and its thickness. You will be pleasantly surprised if you do.:yep:

Mine looked like yours. You look to be 4b. As for thickness, you'll be glad that you have it. Was your hair thick when it was relaxed? Kinky is not the same thing as thick. :ohwell: It won't stay an afro unless you pick it out into one. Everyone doesn't have big dropping curls. Personally, my hair got a lot more tangly when the very small coils were more defined. You can look at my natural hair photos in Fotki to see what I mean by this; my hair got super-coily and tangly in 2009. Everyone doesn't have to have curls or visible coils, and it's not always desirable to have them IMO. Mwedzi has very thick and very kinky, very long hair. So does Sera, you can look at their Fotkis.

It takes time to learn about your hair. My hair is very thick. I love wearing my fros and so on. You just have to learn how to deal with your hair. Not everyones hair will have that looser curl pattern. You can experiment with different styles as your hair gets longer.

My hair does not have a very defined curl or hang unless I manipulate it to do so. My hair is uber thick and I enjoy it. Twists, twist outs, and braided styles tend to work well w/my hair. If you are looking for wash and wear curls than natural may not be for your because your texture looks like it tends to grow up and out not down. You can manipulate your hair to hang more when you want and that is what I do. My hair looked similar to yours when I bc'd and I wore comb coils and coil outs for a curly look.

Who said you were supposed to have curls? You have several options:
1) You can embrace your hair and learn to do styles that complement your hair type
2) You can keep complaining about it. If you don't have curls now, why would you have them later?
3) Relax, texturize, etc.
and the list goes on.

Your hair is nice and thick.

Last edited:
Thanks for thinking of me nikki2229. The OP's post sorta made me sad when I read it but I can definitely understand.

Lynnie, I admire your hair. You have some of the thickest hair on this board and I always look forward to your pics and siggy's.
I was saddened by OP's comments also seeing as she was just so excited to BC the other day. I want to encourage her. BC'ing is not for the faint of heart, you will have people that say negative things or try to discourage you. I hope she doesn't let what her father's hair looked like in the past discourage her from her journey in the future.

Thank you for sharing your albums with her and us too.

Back