I'm about to have a nervy B!!

OP the first step needs to be acceptance of your own curl pattern. Your hair isn't the type that falls. It grows up and out and until you realize that that hair type is also beautiful there is really nothing anybody can do to help. Maybe look at some 4a/4b fotkis and youtubes to see the potential your hair type has

Wow! Its not the end of the world...U can always go back to the relaxer if you want that hang or just texturize it.

My hair is extremely thick! I was never really able to get it into a ponytail, only a large puff. I didn't have hang, it just grew out and up..After it got to be too much to handle I texturized and eventually relaxed. U may end of doing the same.

I don't want to discourage you but this is the problem with looking up to someone else's hair. Even if 1,000 women come on here and say their hair looked like yours and then did something else, it doesn't mean that yours will. The good/bad of natural hair is that you have to learn to love it for what it is. Give it some time, try some styles that don't require a curl pattern or for it to hang. If you can't accept it for how beautiful that it is then (and it is beautiful) then you can always relax.

what is normal hair?:perplexed

There are styles you can do to get hang time if that's what you want
like bantu knots
straw sets.
braid outs. I like to blow out my hair and then do a braid out when I want a little hang

You have to remember when your father was rocking a fro I doubt he was doing different styles

the fact that its too thick!! did anyone else have very thick hair when it was short to grow out into normal hair or am i going to have just a big afro??

Hmmm, choosing words carefully...

-Don't have a nervy B (i l'edmao when i read that). There is nothing wrong with your hair.
-Your hair actually is "normal". You are a black woman, most black women have your/our hair type.
-You do not appear to have the hair type that will form big defined hanging curls. I think you will have to just deal :look:.
-I personally think your hair looks thick and juicy, I understand that it is not your preference, but just wanted to encourage you a bit.

First--RELAX (not literally). You just BC'd--your hair is not at a length that will necessarily show your full curl pattern the way it may look once it's longer. Myself, as well as other naturals, have experienced little changes in curl pattern as our hair has gotten longer. Also, that youtube vid you posted--it says her hair is a BLOWOUT, which is why it looks so big and wild. OP, you need to take this time to get to know your hair--it doesn't happen overnight.

Last edited:
Right after my BC with condish:

100_0603.jpg

I have super thick 4a/b hair. For the first 6 months I wore my twa with accessories and head bands.
picture.php

picture.php

Now I can style it in differnt ways but it will always grow straight out. It's not going to grow out and hang down without the use of styling products. That's why there is a market for products like Miss Jessies, and Uncle Funky's Daughter.

PUFF AT 8 MONTHS POST
picture.php

RANDOM TWIST OUT AT 6 MONTHS POST
picture.php

I HTH and I'm sorry you aren't seeing what you were expecting.

the fact that its too thick!! did anyone else have very thick hair when it was short to grow out into normal hair or am i going to have just a big afro??

OP you gots research to do sweety. In order for your hair to "hang" you will have to "stretch" it. In terms of natural hair "stretching" means allowing your hair to dry after a wash literally in a stretched out state. This can be done by banding (the method I use): http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=6345673&postcount=9

Here's a search page on it: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/nd...rums/album.php?albumid=4770&pictureid=28990#0

Or you could just flat twist or corn row your damp hair and then take it out when it is dry. Your hair is too short for "hang time" right now though.

Idk why you chose to go natural, but your dilemma is the perfect reason why going natural is not for everyone. I want to go natural at some point, and so far I've learned to embrace my hair texture. I love it to be quite honest! But my new growth does not show me at all what my hair will do once I cut the relaxed ends off. I would prefer my hair to hang, but if it doesn't I should've prepared myself accordingly. From what I can see, I don't think your is gonna grow out to be what you truly want it. You look 4a/b so...the likelihood of it hanging is not high. It will grow out before it grows down. Probably once you hit a longer length like BSL or MBL it will hang more but definitely not like 3's or 3c/4a's. For any other ladies transitioning...do not hop on the band wagon unless you are fully equipped to handle the ups and downs of the transitioning journey.

Last edited:
WOW! im very surprised at the responses. People told me once you BC you will go through your ups and downs and when i was having (downs) doubts instead of more support i have people criticizing me? and no i dont mean a CURL texture. heres a PERFECT example of someone WITHOUT curls who has beautiful hair! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRFZ7Yi5YgA Obviously my hairs going to hang down eventually thats the law of gravity, im not expecting big beautiful curls (oh and its funny how everyone said i was a 3c/4a in my BC thread but after this thread now i'm a 4a/b...lol) anyways its fine i found what i was looking for on youtube. i apologize if i offended anyone, but if i have anymore questions about my hair i'll just PM the more understanding members, thank you for the responses.

WOW! im very surprised at the responses. People told me once you BC you will go through your ups and downs and when i was having (downs) doubts instead of more support i have people criticizing me? and no i dont mean a CURL texture. heres a PERFECT example of someone WITHOUT curls who has beautiful hair! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRFZ7Yi5YgA Obviously my hairs going to hang down eventually thats the law of gravity, im not expecting big beautiful curls (oh and its funny how everyone said i was a 3c/4a in my BC thread but after this thread now i'm a 4a/b...lol) anyways its fine i found what i was looking for on youtube. i apologize if i offended anyone, but if i have anymore questions about my hair i'll just PM the more understanding members, thank you for the responses.

OP--I don't like how you were kind of jumped on, but I think naturals on this board are just weary of ppl BC-ing and expecting to see something other than what they have, thus revealing they went natural for the "wrong" reasons or naively--which kind of shows that they haven't really taken advantage of the wealth of information on this site. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Also, in your BC thread, there were a lot of close-up texture shots of just the hair--which makes it hard to determine the curl size. When I saw the pics of your hair that included your head/face--that's when I could see that you were 4a/b.

Oh, and the youtube video you posted--her hair is blown-out. All natural hair can "hang" with some manipulation, whether it's blown out, braidout, twistout, rollerset, etc.

Last edited:

Girl you are being a little extra :ohwell: All that is not necessary...I wasn't trying to come at you disrespectfully. I was speaking in general. However I don't know the other ladies' intents. So I can only speak for myself.

If you "know" your hair will hang eventually, then why were you worried about an "afro" (which I assume you meant just standing/sticking up) in the first place?

Not trying to start anything with you; just trying to understand so maybe I can help. Because I still don't know what you're talking about. A curl vs no curl, or hanging vs rising?

I didn't read through this whole thread, but I am not quite sure I understand what your issue is (thick hair, texture, curls, hanging). But the "fix" doesn't sound that complex: Either relax, straighten with heat, or keep it moving.

This is why before you actually transition to natural, you should mentally transition as well. You would have been better prepared/more accepting of your hair in it's natural state.

We already knew what the deal was, lol.

LOL I saw this thread about 6 hours back and was waiting.for.it.....:look:

All I have to say is you are better off relaxing or texlaxing if you want the Mya look lol, if your kids end up with your type hair please don't tell them its not normal hair and have a nervy b. Black woman with afro hair is not that shocking.

Last edited:
OP your natural hair may likely never "hang". Just depends on how it grows out your head. But as your hair grows you will have tons of options like braid outs and twist outs that will give you some hang time plus highlight our beautiful texture.

OP your hair looks like mine, and it won't really hang down when it grows out until it gets pretty long even then it won't have the look I think you have in mind. If that's too much you may want to try styles that will make it hang like twists or get a relaxer. But at this length it will definitely not hang any kind of way - so maybe you should wait it out and see, you may actually like the big look.

I hope you find something that works for you! but don't give up just yet! Your hair is nice and thick, I Love It! just let it grow some more! Good Luck To You!

IMO..this is a good reason to have a long transition if you are like me (haven't had natural hair since I was a young child)..to learn and experiment with techniques and products. I learn new things everyday about my super thick transitioning hair. I'm sure I won't know everything once I'm 100% natural but this journey is teaching me to be patient with my hair and I'm falling in love with it more and more each day.

I'm sure you will figure it out OP.

Last edited:
thanks to all the people supporting me and not jumping down my throat! i appreciate the SUPPORT. yes i did prepare myself mentally but its still a life changing thing and i expected a little more leeway but i guess not...anywho for those who understand that thanks for the responses i feel a lot better about my natural hair. you are right i just need to learn my texture and not worry about the overall thickness of the hair and take it in strides. i was just afraid it was going to be overwhelming and i would get frustrated that was my only concern. as far as people confused on what i'm asking, like i said i figured it out on my own...dont worry about it.

I think that maybe you're sad because your mom made that comment. Is that it?
Tell her she couldn't have thought your dad's hair was that bad because she went ahead and married him anyway :giggle:

But in all seriousness, give it some time. If you don't want to deal with it right now, grab a flatiron and keep it straight until you figure out what you want to do. BCing isn't for the faint of heart. But don't give up too soon. Sending you some hugs.

Back