If you told your boyfriend that he makes you very happy ...

DayStar

and he responds like this
I'm pleased and very fortunate to hear that
...what would you think?

this is by TEXT btw.

I told my girlfriend that it wouldnt bother me. She expected him to say the same thing back but it doesnt mean he doesnt love/like her. I think she is tripping, what are your thoughts :perplexed. They have been dating for less than 6 months btw.

I also told her to ask him what he meant, rather than ask me to "interpret" what she thinks he meant.

Last edited:
On the contrary, I think he meant what he said. Its like someone telling the other that they love them, and expecting to hear it right back. Maybe he's just not there yet, I mean it's only been six (6) months ...

ding ding ding...thats what I said. He tells her he misses her when he does. I think he expresses himself on his own time...she needs to just sit down and stfu.

On the contrary, I think he meant what he said. Its like someone telling the other that they love them, and expecting to hear it right back. Maybe he's just not there yet, I mean it's only been six (6) months ...

She said she was happy to be with him. Dropping the L word isn't the same.

So in 6 months time he doesn't know whether or not he's also happy? :ohwell:

he probably is happy to be with her but to expect a flow of serious emotions after 6 months from a guy...a dude. idk about that. Maybe he doesnt know how to express his happiness by saying those exact words. maybe he's not comfortable in saying those words so he shows it thru other avenues. i mean goodness its only been 6 months not 6 years. Some women expect men to keep up with thei emotions early on and it doesnt always work like that

Men don't communicate in the same way as women do. Maybe her man is not yet trained in "you're supposed to repeat it back" etiquette yet lol. It sounds like he was trying to be original not just robotic but this was a fail:lol:

:dighole: :rofl: complete and utter failure...but he tells her he misses talking to her all the time. I feel bad for him :(

Men don't communicate in the same way as women do. Maybe her man is not yet trained in "you're supposed to repeat it back" etiquette yet lol. It sounds like he was trying to be original not just robotic but this was a fail:lol:

Last edited:
:dighole: :rofl: complete and utter failure...but he tells her he misses her and talking to her all the time. I feel bad for him :(

I know it's funny but I kind of have a pet peeve of repeating things back just out of habit. "I love you, I love you too. I miss you. I miss you too. Thank you. You're welcome." It's like you say it because you're "supposed to" even though you may truly mean it you know?

Like my kids for example. After we say grace at dinner time they say "Thank you for the food mommy. Thank you for working hard mommy and daddy." They say it EVERY night and even compete for who will say it first. When it's their turn to pray they get in the habit of saying the same thing every time. I don't like it:nono: When you're in a relationship with someone, a spouse or SO, a parent, a child, God, etc. you should speak from the heart not just in habitual robotic courtesies KWIM? I told them chilrens to not say anything if they can't say something original from the heart.

I think this is what the po' man in the OP was tryna do based on his choice of words but it didn't work out:lol: He needs a Copy Editor to look over his work before submitting:rofl:

Here I'll edit for him and you can send this to your friend OP:

Original text: I'm pleased and very fortunate to hear that

Edited Text: I'm pleased to hear that and very fortunate to have you in my life.

Po' man just needs a lil help:lol:

Well, she seems like she went into this wanting to hear the same in return. Did she really mean what she said or was she trying to feel him out to see if he would respond the same way?

I'll admit, I would have been :rolleyes: at his answer too but then I would have to evaluate why I sent the message.. was it to tell him how I felt or was it to get the same reply back? (does that make sense?) :look:

I guess I'm saying it seems like she was expecting him to answer a certain way and he answered it the way he felt. :look:

bwhahahahahha, I keep reading his reply and tears are coming down my face. She means/nt it. She says she wanted him to at least say it back, so she knows he feels the same. I told her guys dont express themselves the same. Plus ole'boy is a action man not talker.

Well, she seems like she went into this wanting to hear the same in return. Did she really mean what she said or was she trying to feel him out to see if he would respond the same way?

I'll admit, I would have been :rolleyes: at his answer too but then I would have to evaluate why I sent the message.. was it to tell him how I felt or was it to get the same reply back? (does that make sense?) :look:

I guess I'm saying it seems like she was expecting him to answer a certain way and he answered it the way he felt. :look:

If there's one thing I've learned it's that: if you go fishing for compliments/reciprocated comments...you will probably ALWAYS end up disapointed. :ohwell:

I think your friend should just relax and let this one slide. She should say those comments towards him because she MEANS them...not because she's expecting him to say the same in return. Like someone else mentioned, men are not like women. They're very simple. He basically meant what he said: That he was happy to hear that from her.

Now if he has NEVER ever expressed any sentimental feelings towards her, THEN I would consider that a red flag. But otherwise, I wouldn't stress too much over this one.

bwhahahahahha, I keep reading his reply and tears are coming down my face. She means/nt it. She says she wanted him to at least say it back, so she knows he feels the same. I told her guys dont express themselves the same. Plus ole'boy is a action man not talker.

I picked up on that right away and I don't even know him:yep: DH is the exact same way. When they DO speak they try to apply "logic" to emotions and it jusss don't workout right. He's getting better though:rofl: I used to get my feelings hurt early in our marriage because I'm highly expressive so if dinner is good I'm one of those "UmmmmM! This is the BEST MEAL EVEAAA!" types. So imagine my :perplexed when I'd ask DH how was dinner and he'd say "The pasta was satisfactory and the meat was thoroughly cooked.":nono: WTH is that?:rofl: I crack up now but ya'll it wasn't funny then:nono:

Our very first Valentine's Day I wrote him this really sweet poem and got him chocolates etc, real romantic. Why the man got me a set of pots nd pans:rolleyes::wallbash: It was an explosion of epic proportions:rofl: Valentine's Day FAIL!!:dead:

Oddly enough he's rubbed off on me cuz now I'd love a new set of pots and pans or something else I'd find practical. I didn't use to be this way:lol:

Maybe he expresses his feelings differently; maybe he's not there yet; maybe he'll never be "there". I agree with you 100% that she should ask him what he meant instead of trying to get you to decipher what his intentions were.

I think it's much ado about nothing and she's risking stirring up drama for no reason. Reciprocating compliments just to reciprocate sounds insincere a lot of times. He's happy that he makes her happy. It'd be better if she let him wonder if he's making her happy and be the one to ask her. But his response wasn't a negative thing.

I think it's sweet that he's happy to hear that he makes her happy. Most men say they feel under appreciated and all the good things they try to do get dismissed. I think he's saying, "thanks for saying that...it makes me feel good."

Now she gone go fuss at him for appreciating being appreciated. Gosh, I hope she just lets this one go. :lachen:

I picked up on that right away and I don't even know him:yep: DH is the exact same way. When they DO speak they try to apply "logic" to emotions and it jusss don't workout right. He's getting better though:rofl: I used to get my feelings hurt early in our marriage because I'm highly expressive so if dinner is good I'm one of those "UmmmmM! This is the BEST MEAL EVEAAA!" types. So imagine my :perplexed when I'd ask DH how was dinner and he'd say "The pasta was satisfactory and the meat was thoroughly cooked.":nono: WTH is that?:rofl: I crack up now but ya'll it wasn't funny then:nono:

Our very first Valentine's Day I wrote him this really sweet poem and got him chocolates etc, real romantic. Why the man got me a set of pots nd pans:rolleyes::wallbash: It was an explosion of epic proportions:rofl: Valentine's Day FAIL!!:dead:

Oddly enough he's rubbed off on me cuz now I'd love a new set of pots and pans or something else I'd find practical. I didn't use to be this way:lol:
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Update

He proposed. Wedding is set for 2011 :cry:...

Thank goodness she held on.

NICE!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS TO YOUR FRIEND

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Well that's not what you want to hear is it!!??

LMAO, I GUESS NOT

he probably is happy to be with her but to expect a flow of serious emotions after 6 months from a guy...a dude. idk about that. Maybe he doesnt know how to express his happiness by saying those exact words. maybe he's not comfortable in saying those words so he shows it thru other avenues. i mean goodness its only been 6 months not 6 years. Some women expect men to keep up with thei emotions early on and it doesnt always work like that

I THINK 6 MONTHS OF SOLID MONOGAMOUS DATING IS ENOUGH TO KNOW SOMEBODY MAKES YOU HAPPY...

Back