If you can stretch for so long, why stretch?

why stretch & not go natural?

• to maintain hair health with the added convenience of relaxing

Votes: 55 48.7%
  • i enjoy the straight look

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • stretched hair is easier than natural hair

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • just a personal choice

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 13 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was thinking the same thing, I can't stretch pass 5 months....I guess everyone is different or have their own reasons....I know I don't stretch long, cuz I shed a lot when I stretch....and it gets harder to do anything with...it's like I have to add more heat just to keep it straight.....if I do stretch the max is 12-16 weeks....

I stretch because

1. I still go to the salon for my relaxer, and want to spend as little money as possible on that throughout the year. I don't feel ready to attempt self-relaxing.

2. I know that relaxing isn't the healthiest choice necessarily, but I like my hair this way (for now), so stretching is basically compromising between the two.

3. I don't like the look of a fresh relaxer (on me), so I stretch as long as I can deal with the two textures.

I just haven't mastered the stretch I guess. My hair is so coarse that it will break. What I do instead is completely cover my previously relaxed hair with Vaseline, Joico Cuticle Sealer and a neutralizing shampoo.

Although, come January, I may be forced to stretch.

Goes to revisit the Sylver2 stretching challenge ...

Your sigi shows that you're good :yep:. Don't even worry about it.

meh, I dont think so. it's just a discussion, its not a PSA for being natural. There have been a bunch of 'if you straighten your hair every day why don't you just relax' threads and nobody got their panties in a twist about it, so I don't see why this thread is a problem.

As for the OP, I used to stretch for really long due to not being able to afford a relaxer all the time when I was relaxed, and although it seems like "your hair is almost natural" it is completely different. Your relaxed hair still weighs down your natural new growth and it is a different feel than just being straight up natural. You could get it straight WAY easier due to that particularly if that's the way you like to wear it, you would just have to touch up your roots, not flat iron your entire head in small sections after stretching it, and all that mess that you have to do when you're natural. If I were relaxed I would be a stretcher and relax only a couple of times a year because like others have said, it is healthier for your hair (and cheaper!)

I'm natural but this is the best answer I've read on this subject besides the obvious avoiding chems one (for health and for hair health). I have looked into this in case I ever decide to switch back to relaxed or try texlaxed. I never understood this stretching thing until you made this clear because I hae to stretch out my hair or blow dry it before flat ironing for sure! Thanks for this insight.

Last edited:
I voted other. I do long term stretches now because I have a lot of different textures and my more delicate hair is healthier and my hair is closer to similar textures so it's easier for me to take care of. It's also cut way down on my breakage and shedding as well. Overall long term stretching+texlaxing has made a huge difference in retaining length and my hair being healthy. I plan to keep doing it until I shave my head and start over.

I used to stretch before LHCF with weaves/ braids to give my hair a "break"
I stretch now because I now understand the importance of having a good amount of new growth before relaxing.
The thing about it is...you can end a stretch whenever you feel like it, so it's not a huge commitment like transitioning. Stretching does help those who may choose to transition to natural one day.
I plan to transition at some point, probably very far in the future, but I came here to LHCF for LENGTH. I knew about natural hair care boards years ago. Natural hair is not for me at this point in my life. The thought of transitioning is like a distraction from my goals.

ETA: I also like to rollerset, and that requires little to no direct heat for straightening relaxed hair.

Last edited:
The reason I do it is to save money. I pay $60 to get a relaxer I'm at 7 wks. The most important thing is how to handle your hair while stretching, not easy at all!

I'm in the midst of my longest stretch. My goal is to stretch 14 weeks and relax the week before Christmas. I'm 11 weeks post right now. My reason for stretching so long this time is to get a better look at my natural hair because I'm thinking of transitioning .

I stretch to limit the number of times my hair is exposed to chemicals, but I still love being relaxed. When I finally do end a stretch, there's less chance of overlap because the new growth is longer. And because it's been left alone to grow, it's stronger as well. :yep:
Thank you for saving me keystrokes. This is my answer 100%. :up:
Hm

Let's see.

-because they DONT want to be natural.
-trying to change from straight relaxers to texlaxing
-decrease overlapping
-growing out overprocessed hair from prior relaxers.
-dont wanna relax very often
-cos they feel like it.
You are my girl!!!! :lol: I really did Laugh Out Loud. I needed that this morning!! :kiss: It's dead around here.
i don't want to be natural and that is nowhere even close to why i started stretching.
my 1st stretch was when i joined this board. prior to that i was relaxing every 4-6 weeks.
my hair broke off for the 3rd time real bad, was dry, stayed the same length.
i refused to cut it off and start over again like i did once before. I went into nurture mode with my hair. do or die decision..no more chemicals for as long as i can go while nurturing. The result was a wow! for me. streching made my hair stronger, saw more length. it allowed me to try many different methods that proved positive for my hair. i found my regimen and prooducts while stretching.
my hair right now is the longest, strongest its ever been in my entire life and only after i started stretching. so its a no brainer for me. and it gets easier everytime. im 6 months post right now and no trouble.
Very well said Sylver.:yep:

Who said anything about going natural? if I was saying, "why don't you just go natural" That would have been the title of the thread & Why would I be the same person saying, I got a relaxer in August and am stretching until the baby is born....... :ohwell:

I think this thread was going fine until some naysayers such as yourself came up in here. geez! excuse me for asking a question.

****** URGENT ****** If you do not have anything constructive to say or something positive to add to the discussion, please refrain from making unneccessary redundant comments.Thank you so much! :bighug:
It's important to know on a forum such as this (or any forum) everyone wont agree with you. No offence. When you ask a question, you will get different answers. They might not be the answer you want to hear, but they are the answers of the posters. Heck, some post I give the side eye to, but it's an open forum and there is NO groupthink here.

If you can stretch for that long, why NOT is the real question!

As many have said, I stretch for hair health. Relaxing every 4-6 weeks is too damaging for most.

Stretching relaxers (for me) is not only about expense because Phyto can be 60 bucks a pop, but also about the fact that for me with this relaxer, I CAN stretch. My longest stretch was 7 months. 2-3 relaxers a year and thats all I need!

I did the natural thing moons ago, I can't say I want to hop back into it just yet but someday sure, its just not a priority at this time.

Its all about choice. Those that stretch successfully do it, then relax after the stretch because that's what they want to do.

Those that don't want to go natural.

Its pretty simple to me.:yep:

-A
Very well said.
I mean Sylver pretty much summed it up so if you are still confused I'm not sure what to say. Bottom line is there will always be people who prefer relaxed hair over their natural hair which is why no matter how infrequent they will relax. Pretty simple.
I was sitting her thinking the exact same thing. But I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't the answer the OP wanted to hear and was picking. But after seeing her later post, I see that she didn't fully read Sylver's post the first time or missed something.
I also Voted: "Personal Choice" Obviously For Hair Health Reasons and to Limit the Amounts of Times I Chemically Straighten. Plus stretching gives me ample time to Treat/Condition/Moisturize/Strengthen My Hair and Pamper my Hair and it allows me to focus more on Health than Style

If it were constantly bone-straight, (every 4-6-8 Weeks) like it 'use to be' I would always be styling it i.e. too much hair handling/manipulation.

When you're stretching, it Automatically Stops you from 'handling your hair' so much.:perplexed

I Choose to Stay Relaxed and I Choose to Stretch, Basically, because that's what I Choose to do.

No other explanation.:look:
Basically.:yep:
I'm in the midst of my longest stretch. My goal is to stretch 14 weeks and relax the week before Christmas. I'm 11 weeks post right now. My reason for stretching so long this time is to get a better look at my natural hair because I'm thinking of transitioning .
I use to think I was really doing something stretching to 14-16 weeks. But compared to Slyver2 and Aggie, I am a baby stretcher!

I have been stretching for a few relaxers now and I have come to notice my hair is a lot thicker and more full. I don't want to beat a dead horse but I stretch so that I have enough new growth to relax without overlapping. It is completely different from being natural because you know the goal at the end of the stretch is a relaxer...kinda like your prize for all your hard work. Transitioning is different because the end result is a big chop or a very slow transition. I love the ease of relaxing and I will be this way for a long time.

I dont wanna expose my hair to lots of chemicals. So I stretch cause my hair allows me and the thickness of my hair has improved also. I probably wont do another 6 month again but will keep up with my 16 weeks. I miss my hair been straight.....

I voted "Other". When I was relaxed, my new growth didn't really curl up until 4 months post and with roller setting, my roots would continue to be straight for another few months thereafter.

ETA: It saved me a hell of a lot of money too.

Right now I dont know if im going to go natural or just stretching. But I stretch because I hate having to find someone to do a relaxer for me and Im not good at self relaxing. I also save money.

Firstly, great topic!

When I was relaxed, I stretched because it was better for my hair. I used to relax 2-4 times a year. As many others had stated, I wanted to reduce the amount of times the relaxer came in contact with my scalp and prevent over-processing. It also helped me maintain thickness in my hair. I still enjoyed straight hair but wanted healthy hair as well. At the time, i felt stretching was the the best option for me in order to achieve my hair goals.

I get the gist of stretching the time between relaxers, but is there a certian regime that you do when you stretch? I mean like roller set, or bun alot? I'm still lost on exactly what the whole stretch entails.

*sorry I'm a newbie, I'm still learning this stuff*

I get the gist of stretching the time between relaxers, but is there a certian regime that you do when you stretch? I mean like roller set, or bun alot? I'm still lost on exactly what the whole stretch entails.

*sorry I'm a newbie, I'm still learning this stuff*

I'm almost 4 months post (going for 7 months) & all I do is pre-poo, co-wash, and air dry in braids...

I will be wearing braid outs/flexi rod sets for my entire stretch, no direct heat

*I shampoo when needed

I stretch because it takes me about 4 months to tell the difference between the new growth from the texlaxed area since I always leave my hair in a curly state.

Last edited:
I'm confused by the looong stretching method in general.

It seems it would be harder to maintain stretched hair because you have two totally different textures than it would be to maintain natural or relaxed hair and by the time your 6 months into a stretch (depending on your growth rate) aren't you two clips away from being natural anyway?

Also, if one comes to the conclusion that the hair is stronger, thicker and longer when it's natural longer (not relaxing the roots - hence stretching) why not let the hair be natural?

@ the bolded No you are not, you are way more than two clips away unless you want a twa...

The majority of your hair is still straight unless you have super short hair...

Stretching is extremely hard, I haven't found a way to make it work for me in terms of tangles and knots, an 18 week stretch almost killed me; but when I do figure it out I will do very long stretches
I hate the relaxer process, I hate it and I don't want to do it so often
I've always been like this
I also don't want to spend my money on it so frequently.

But I have a love affair with straight hair so I can't see myself "natural" yet
I don't want to be "natural" yet but I also don't want such dependence on relaxing, like every 10 weeks. I would love to be one of those people that can go 6 months w/o a relaxer and just shrug their shoulders...
It's like that feeling of freedom that people have when they give up the relaxer except your hair is still straight, yay!

@ the bolded No you are not, you are way more than two clips away unless you want a twa...

The majority of your hair is still straight unless you have super short hair...

Stretching is extremely hard, I haven't found a way to make it work for me in terms of tangles and knots, an 18 week stretch almost killed me; but when I do figure it out I will do very long stretches
I hate the relaxer process, I hate it and I don't want to do it so often
I've always been like this
I also don't want to spend my money on it so frequently.

But I have a love affair with straight hair so I can't see myself "natural" yet
I don't want to be "natural" yet but I also don't want such dependence on relaxing, like every 10 weeks. I would love to be one of those people that can go 6 months w/o a relaxer and just shrug their shoulders...
It's like that feeling of freedom that people have when they give up the relaxer except your hair is still straight, yay!

I've decided to become a stretcher too, for the bolded reason. The responses here helped me to realize it's better for the hair. This was my first stretch and so far it's been at least 16wks I think and I won't put another relaxer in until my baby get's here. Then, I plan to stretch a minimum of 16 weeks because I did it this time with no problems.

I've also checked out some of the how-to stretching threads and garnered info on how to do it and it's working....

I hate being tied to a stylist as most of them don't know about hair health and I'm a do it yourselfer so.... I'm a stretcher.

eta: as far as two clips away from being natural, that was a little exaggeration. But, my hair is neck length & with this recent stretch it looked like i was two clips away frm being natural- I get major shrinkage though. With the blowout, i seen i was not near being natural at all!

Last edited:
I've decided to become a stretcher too, for the bolded reason. The responses here helped me to realize it's better for the hair. This was my first stretch and so far it's been at least 16wks I think and I won't put another relaxer in until my baby get's here. Then, I plan to stretch a minimum of 16 weeks because I did it this time with no problems.

I've also checked out some of the how-to stretching threads and garnered info on how to do it and it's working....

I hate being tied to a stylist as most of them don't know about hair health and I'm a do it yourselfer so.... I'm a stretcher.

Welcome on board to long term stretching!

I was contemplating ending my stretch at 16 weeks, but for some reason yesterday, my hair turned out 'nicely so I decided perhaps I could increase it another 4 weeks and end it at maybe 20.:look:

My Goal is to Wig-It from Jan - April anyway, So, it would basically be put away most of the Winter.:ohwell:

I will see as they weeks progress. I will be entering my 13th Week of what initially was a 16 week stretch.:perplexed

I am only 6 weeks into my first stretch of 12-16 weeks. Before LHCF I would be calling up my stylist right now to get my hair relaxed. And I for one can tell you how fragile hair is when it is exposed to chemicals once every month or every two months. I know most of my problems come from having my hair straightened to often improperly in this manner by a professional hair stylist.
Also I want to go from relaxed hair to texlaxed hair because I like a little curl to my hair and bone straight hair often looks limp and takes more work to obtain a style.

Sometimes I stretch to save a little money.

It seems like a waste of money sometimes to get my hair relaxed (especially during winter) and then wear it in braids, weaves, half-wigs, buns - whatever protective style I'm sporting.

When I relaxed I would stretch for 3-4 months because I wanted to make sure I had enough new growth so I wouldn't overlap and damage my hair. It worked for me because I rarely wore my hair down and straight anyway.

My last relaxer was 7 Sept. 2009 so I think that makes me about 14 or 15 weeks post. I just did a twist out and I got so many compliments. I am getting a sew in mid Jan. that should take me until mid April. I dont plan on relaxing until Nov 2010. This will be my second 1 yr. stretch and I am loving it. My hair is much thicker as well as much healthier. Stretching is addictive for me. I will continue to stretch but I might go to every 6 months after this stretch.

I don't relax my hair, but just wanted to say that when I was transitioning to natural I did notice that my hair looked healthier, thicker and split end free the days that I straightened it. People would comment on my hair all the time. I can see why the ladies prefer to stretch for a long itme and then relax. You can probably retain most if not all of your length. Of course the two textures drove me crazy and I did the BC after 40 weeks.

Kudos to anybody that can stretch for over 16 weeks is all I'm saying. Its not easy.

Back