If you can stretch for so long, why stretch?

why stretch & not go natural?

• to maintain hair health with the added convenience of relaxing

Votes: 55 48.7%
  • i enjoy the straight look

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • stretched hair is easier than natural hair

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • just a personal choice

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 13 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hm

Let's see.

-because they DONT want to be natural.
-trying to change from straight relaxers to texlaxing
-decrease overlapping
-growing out overprocessed hair from prior relaxers.
-dont wanna relax very often
-cos they feel like it.

These threads are really getting old. I really wish the mods would lay down some ground rules about this. It's changing the vibe of the board.

Besides all the great reasons already given, stretching presents a new challenge for me. My hair journey got to be a bit boring after a while...I've been a pj and tried every product out there, so then I was like now what? A long-term stretch was my answer! I stalked Sylver2's fotki and youtube videos and my decided to give it a try. Right now I'm at 18 weeks post and I'm amazed by how easy it is...no problems whatsoeva! Sure I think about going natural all the time, but right now that's not my goal.

Hey Taz :grin:

why cant you stretch?
I just haven't mastered the stretch I guess. My hair is so coarse that it will break. What I do instead is completely cover my previously relaxed hair with Vaseline, Joico Cuticle Sealer and a neutralizing shampoo.

Although, come January, I may be forced to stretch.

Goes to revisit the Sylver2 stretching challenge ...

i don't want to be natural and that is nowhere even close to why i started stretching.
my 1st stretch was when i joined this board. prior to that i was relaxing every 4-6 weeks.
my hair broke off for the 3rd time real bad, was dry, stayed the same length.
i refused to cut it off and start over again like i did once before. I went into nurture mode with my hair. do or die decision..no more chemicals for as long as i can go while nurturing. The result was a wow! for me. streching made my hair stronger, saw more length. it allowed me to try many different methods that proved positive for my hair. i found my regimen and prooducts while stretching.
my hair right now is the longest, strongest its ever been in my entire life and only after i started stretching. so its a no brainer for me. and it gets easier everytime. im 6 months post right now and no trouble.

I understand the bolded. But, I guess I'm kinda confused - not by your method cuz what works for you,works for you & I have no problem with that -

I'm confused by the looong stretching method in general.

It seems it would be harder to maintain stretched hair because you have two totally different textures than it would be to maintain natural or relaxed hair and by the time your 6 months into a stretch (depending on your growth rate) aren't you two clips away from being natural anyway?

Also, if one comes to the conclusion that the hair is stronger, thicker and longer when it's natural longer (not relaxing the roots - hence stretching) why not let the hair be natural?

I personally prefer to be one or the other and transitioning was no walk in the park the first time, the main reason I'm stretching now is due to pregnancy. Who knows, maybe I will see the "light" with this stretch.

eta: i'm not pro-relaxer or pro-natural, as I've been both- I say everyone "do you" . I'm just curious about the reason behind stretching. I'm thinking to myself "self- if you can stretch for 8 months during pregnancy, can't you go back to being natural" and then on the otherhand I'm thinking "self, don't you love that creamy crack called relaxer, you don't want to give that up do you?" Lol!

Last edited:
I'm doing it because I don't know how to self-relax and I want to decrease my trips to the salon. But I think the longest I am going to go is 10-12 weeks.

These threads are really getting old. I really wish the mods would lay down some ground rules about this. It's changing the vibe of the board.

so sorry to offend anyone. But, I did search for this and found no answers. I think if one is bored or irritated by the topic it is wise to avoid it altogether. That's what i do... :look:

I guess those who are professionals at everything regarding hair would be bored by this question, but I do not deem myself a hair professional and was just seeking some clarification on a question I've been wondering about.

I can only hope this thread helps someone else as it has indeed helped me.

Last edited:

OMG WTH is with this board??!!! yet ANOTHER undertone go natural :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: refund please!:look:

Last edited:
OMG WTH is with this board??!!! every week go natural why dont you go natural wtf! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: refund please!:look:

Who said anything about going natural? if I was saying, "why don't you just go natural" That would have been the title of the thread & Why would I be the same person saying, I got a relaxer in August and am stretching until the baby is born....... :ohwell:

I think this thread was going fine until some naysayers such as yourself came up in here. geez! excuse me for asking a question.

****** URGENT ****** If you do not have anything constructive to say or something positive to add to the discussion, please refrain from making unneccessary redundant comments.Thank you so much! :bighug:

If you can stretch for that long, why NOT is the real question!

As many have said, I stretch for hair health. Relaxing every 4-6 weeks is too damaging for most.

Stretching relaxers (for me) is not only about expense because Phyto can be 60 bucks a pop, but also about the fact that for me with this relaxer, I CAN stretch. My longest stretch was 7 months. 2-3 relaxers a year and thats all I need!

I did the natural thing moons ago, I can't say I want to hop back into it just yet but someday sure, its just not a priority at this time.

Its all about choice. Those that stretch successfully do it, then relax after the stretch because that's what they want to do.

Those that don't want to go natural.

Its pretty simple to me.:yep:

-A

meh, I dont think so. it's just a discussion, its not a PSA for being natural. There have been a bunch of 'if you straighten your hair every day why don't you just relax' threads and nobody got their panties in a twist about it, so I don't see why this thread is a problem.

As for the OP, I used to stretch for really long due to not being able to afford a relaxer all the time when I was relaxed, and although it seems like "your hair is almost natural" it is completely different. Your relaxed hair still weighs down your natural new growth and it is a different feel than just being straight up natural. You could get it straight WAY easier due to that particularly if that's the way you like to wear it, you would just have to touch up your roots, not flat iron your entire head in small sections after stretching it, and all that mess that you have to do when you're natural. If I were relaxed I would be a stretcher and relax only a couple of times a year because like others have said, it is healthier for your hair (and cheaper!)

I understand the bolded. But, I guess I'm kinda confused - not by your method cuz what works for you,works for you & I have no problem with that -

It seems it would be harder to maintain stretched hair because you have two totally different textures than it would be to maintain natural or relaxed hair and by the time your 6 months into a stretch (depending on your growth rate) aren't you two clips away from being natural anyway?

Also, if one comes to the conclusion that the hair is stronger, thicker and longer when it's natural longer (not relaxing the roots - hence stretching) why not let the hair be natural?

I personally prefer to be one or the other and transitioning was no walk in the park the first time, the main reason I'm stretching now is due to pregnancy. Who knows, maybe I will see the "light" with this stretch.

eta: i'm not pro-relaxer or pro-natural, as I've been both- I say everyone "do you" . I'm just curious about the reason behind stretching. I'm thinking to myself "self- if you can stretch for 8 months during pregnancy, can't you go back to being natural" and then on the otherhand I'm thinking "self, don't you love that creamy crack called relaxer, you don't want to give that up do you?" Lol!

In that case it is the fact that the you have reduced chemical exposure which is making the hair stronger. You reduce the runoff exposure which happens even with protective agents and over time, that runoff can make the hair more and more processed. I know for many of the self relaxers, going longer and having more newgrowth makes the distinction between the previously relaxed hair and the newgrowth more pronounced which makes the relaxer process easier. I know for me personally, my natural hair is very strong but it knots up something terrible which could pose a legitimate retention issue as well.

Me personally, I used to relax every 8-10 weeks without fail. My hair grew but it was not at thick and lush as I wanted it to be. I then started stretching longer and texlaxing which over time, I would say about a year, made such a dramatic difference in how my hair looked and felt. It was easier to self relax with 3-4 months of new growth compared to two as well. My hair also withstood basic stress much better and I didn't have to do as much too it.

In that case it is the fact that the you have reduced chemical exposure which is making the hair stronger. You reduce the runoff exposure which happens even with protective agents and over time, that runoff can make the hair more and more processed. I know for many of the self relaxers, going longer and having more newgrowth makes the distinction between the previously relaxed hair and the newgrowth more pronounced which makes the relaxer process easier. I know for me personally, my natural hair is very strong but it knots up something terrible which could pose a legitimate retention issue as well.

Me personally, I used to relax every 8-10 weeks without fail. My hair grew but it was not at thick and lush as I wanted it to be. I then started stretching longer and texlaxing which over time, I would say about a year, made such a dramatic difference in how my hair looked and felt. It was easier to self relax with 3-4 months of new growth compared to two as well. My hair also withstood basic stress much better and I didn't have to do as much too it.

Gymfreak I love your post, you are so smart and knowledgeable about hair. It is amazing.

meh, I dont think so. it's just a discussion, its not a PSA for being natural. There have been a bunch of 'if you straighten your hair every day why don't you just relax' threads and nobody got their panties in a twist about it, so I don't see why this thread is a problem.

As for the OP, I used to stretch for really long due to not being able to afford a relaxer all the time when I was relaxed, and although it seems like "your hair is almost natural" it is completely different. Your relaxed hair still weighs down your natural new growth and it is a different feel than just being straight up natural. You could get it straight WAY easier due to that particularly if that's the way you like to wear it, you would just have to touch up your roots, not flat iron your entire head in small sections after stretching it, and all that mess that you have to do when you're natural. If I were relaxed I would be a stretcher and relax only a couple of times a year because like others have said, it is healthier for your hair (and cheaper!)

These two comments sum it up - thanks Ladies!!!! I have no choice but to stretch right now,but from the comments I've received, it may in the best interest of my hair to become a long term stretcher. I don't really see myself giving up the relaxers.My natural hair is an entirely different topic!

I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I chose other because: I was natural for a little under 2 years and I didnot want to jump into having chemical on my scalp/hair too often. Right now I will be 10 weeks post tomorrow and would plan on stretching until January just to end the year off since I planned on stretching till December 19th which will be a week past the 3 month mark or just wait till January or March 2010 when my swimming lessons are complete (Decisions... Decisions). I have also noticed that the shampoo I was able to use as a natural I cant use as a permie and I chalk that up to the change of my scalp due to the chemicals.

Last edited:
I don't want to be natural, but sometimes I just get tired of relaxing and I like to give myself enough newgrowth to perm, I mean I can go natural because my hair would still be the same which is: sensitive to moisture, rain, still curls up regardless of if it's bone straight :( just stress
people close to me know when theres' precipitation in the air, they just take a look at my hair for the forecast lmao!

only difference with the relaxers is that it makes my hair a little bit much more manageable just a lil bit.

refer to my previous answer:look:its like u heard me but u didn't hear me.:lol:

If you can stretch for that long,why not just be natural? Can someone help me understand why only relax once or twice a year? Aren't you almost natural anyway? And, if you can effectively stretch that long, can't you just be natural with the same ease???

The bolded part is why I chose the "other" option.

When I was natural I had the worse case of single strand knots ever. After devoting a year and several inches of hair to trying to solve the problem, I relaxed.

When I was natural, I'd get a whisper away from apl and then here came the knots. Since relaxing I've managed to get to bsl with my longest layer coming really close to mbl and my ends are healthy.

So for me, until there is a cure for ssk's or I get to a point where I'm content to keep my hair twa length, going natural again isn't going to be an option.

I mean Sylver pretty much summed it up so if you are still confused I'm not sure what to say. Bottom line is there will always be people who prefer relaxed hair over their natural hair which is why no matter how infrequent they will relax. Pretty simple.

Well, I used to stretch (am now transitioning) because my natural hair appears thicker and is full of body and my relaxed ends are limp and frail. Keeping the amount of chemicals that can damage my hair has helped me to maintain all the hair I've grown over the past 2 years :yep:

I was wondering do u notice ya hair gets shorter after a relaxer or is it me:perplexed

My experience is actually the reverse - it is shorter prior to relaxing due to new growth/shrinkage. My post relaxer hair is always longer than my pre relaxer hair.

My experience is actually the reverse - it is shorter prior to relaxing due to new growth/shrinkage. My post relaxer hair is always longer than my pre relaxer hair.

:yep: and that's the way it should be. If you notice your hair *shorter* after a relaxer then you need to assess and readjust your application method pronto. :perplexed

I selected just a personal choice. I have fine strands and I texlax after 16 weeks. I notice that my hair appears fuller since texlaxing. Limiting my hairs exposure to chemicals has helped me retain length. I tried to go natural once but lost that battle.

I'm texlaxed and stretch my touchups to 4 times a year (every 3 months)...mainly for health and thickness reasons. My texlaxed hair (even at 15 weeks post) is just soooo much easier and less time-consuming than my natural hair.

Also, I REFUSE to use heat on my hair...no blowdryers, no flatirons, no curling irons, etc. So, when I want straight hair, I just do a rollerset on 2" rollers...if my hair were still natural, I would have to pull out the heat for a straight look. TEXLAXING...IT'S JUST THE BEST!! :grin:

I am 10 months and 2 days post today and I am stretching this long with an end goal in mind and it is not to go natural but to texlax my hair.

I hate the bone straight relaxed hair from using no-lye relaxers on my head. They are brittle and dull looking and the simpler thing for me to do is get rid of it altogether eventually.

I think texlaxed is a better option for me at this time in my life. By the way, I am attempting a 20 month stretch this time around and when it is completed, I will be texlaxing approximately every 16-18 weeks.

I was going to take it to 20 weeks but I think that's a bit too long, I'll see what my texlaxed hair can handle when I cross that bridge.

Aggie, do you plan to cut your relaxed hair when you reach your goal? My hair was more healthier texlaxed. I may go the same route you're going.

I also Voted: "Personal Choice" Obviously For Hair Health Reasons and to Limit the Amounts of Times I Chemically Straighten. Plus stretching gives me ample time to Treat/Condition/Moisturize/Strengthen My Hair and Pamper my Hair and it allows me to focus more on Health than Style

If it were constantly bone-straight, (every 4-6-8 Weeks) like it 'use to be' I would always be styling it i.e. too much hair handling/manipulation.

When you're stretching, it Automatically Stops you from 'handling your hair' so much.:perplexed

I Choose to Stay Relaxed and I Choose to Stretch, Basically, because that's what I Choose to do.

No other explanation.:look:

Back