I spoke LHCF "language" in PUBLIC!!!

Do you ever slip up and speak LHCF in public?

• Nope, it strictly a forum thing

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • Yeah, and it was all good

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • Yeah and I got the strangest looks

Votes: 37 27.4%
  • Yeah and I'm spreading the lingo to others!

Votes: 31 23.0%

• Total voters

JDandBeyond

So I was complimenting the hair of this girl at work (she ALWAYS wears it up and for some reason wore it down today and no one had any clue it was so long and luscious). So I said to her "Wow, I had no clue your hair was beyond arm pit length." She went from smiling, to a look of puzzlement..."arm pit length?" So I just smiled, and slowly walked away...I think that was the first time I spoke LHCF outside the forum! :nono: Do yall ever slip up?? Call yourself a "product junkie" say you need to "co-wash" or that you ran out of "poo"?

Haha. I haven't slipped too much do I do say "Bra Strap" as in I want my hair to touch my bra strap. I wouldn't say BSL though.

I say cowash all the time as well as all the lengths like SL, APL, BSL. I don't even use the whole words, just the letters lol. People are always like wait . . . what? My bestie now knows all the lingo and has come to accept it lol.

lol at her having no clue!(i thought apl existed in real life too)
lol it happens... AND i speak mostly french in real life... so i have to translate+adjust the jargon..too much brain processing for me lol

Nah, the only people IRL that I use the lingo with are people that have sign ons for the board. That way I don't have to keep explaining what I'm talking about.

Nope, people already look at me crazy enough when I tell them all I do to my hair, I can't be throwing in new terminology too.

I used bra strap length to describe lenght and got no ill look. I guess bra strap length is universally known in the hair world for length.

I used bra strap length to describe lenght and got no ill look. I guess bra strap length is universally known in the hair world for length.

Maybe because "arm pits" have their own hair going along with them, the term seems a little weirder when first heard...:lachen:

Nope, people already look at me crazy enough when I tell them all I do to my hair, I can't be throwing in new terminology too.

I do slip up from time to time..I do it a lot also from the 'wedding board lingo' also but most peolpe just ignore me or I explain when I realize what I did.
however, I get tons of crazy looks/questions when I mention all that I put in my hair or what I DO NOT put in my hair...I think people think I'm a hair snob..and all b/c of forums/blogs like this. oh well!:drunk:

My best friend knows all about the lengths, abbreviations, etc. You should've heard her helping me explain cowashing to this girl the other day. I definitely rubbed off on her.

I told the last (and I mean the LAST!) stylist to do my hair "no direct heat". She got it (sadly, that's the only thing I told her that she seemed to understand! :ohwell:)

Only around my family and BF. They know all the terms:yep:. Once after I had finished talking to my BF about my retouch and length, he shook his head slowly and said "...and the sad thing is I just understood everything you said".

I use to do it all the time until I realized 'why am I having to explain everything I say?' whoops! now I dont.

I use it often. It's mostly what I use now so I don't see any point in trying to "undo" it. I just know an explanation has to follow.

I don't know if anybody noticed....but if you read the Sophisticates Black Hair magazine....they sometimes use LHCF terms like mid back length...etc. There's even an ad in there with the LHCF logo...its that Glover's ad.....i saw it and almost cried....knowledge is a dream come true!! LOL

:grin: Yeah, I have slipped up in public and I must say people look at me as if I'm speaking a foriegn language.

I have mentioned co-washing and that never fails to be a source of confusion. When I ask someone how long they want to grow their hair, they will use their hand to show where they want it to grow. I usually correct them and say, "you want your hair to grow waist length." They usually give me a funny look. Don't get me started on when I told someone that their hair length was armpit. Another strange look. Forget me telling people that I'm growing my hair classic length. FYI: People think Pre-Poo is a bowel movement. :nono:

Last edited:
I do it with DH. He knows all that I'm doing to my hair. He's come up with his own definitions for 'pre-poo' and 'co-wash'. I'm afraid to do with other folk.

So I was complimenting the hair of this girl at work (she ALWAYS wears it up and for some reason wore it down today and no one had any clue it was so long and luscious). So I said to her "Wow, I had no clue your hair was beyond arm pit length." She went from smiling, to a look of puzzlement..."arm pit length?" So I just smiled, and slowly walked away...I think that was the first time I spoke LHCF outside the forum! :nono: Do yall ever slip up?? Call yourself a "product junkie" say you need to "co-wash" or that you ran out of "poo"?

OMG!! This exact same thing happened about a month ago, except we were on the elevator and this sista's hair was tailbone length - CRIMPED! She gets it done weekly, but it's always in an updo. I was like "daaaaaanng! You've got some serious tailbone length going on" and she looked at me like I was straight crazy!! LOL!! But after I explained it to her, she was tickled. And I was just so proud because I know our hair can grow to whatever length we want with enough TLC.

Back