I need a change! I'm feelin restless with my hair...

jtsupanova

So I have been natural for about 3 years and to be honest my hair has truley flourished. When I was relaxed my hair always looked nice but it never grew. I always kept it cut in a chin lenght bob and I had a serious problem with sheding. Since I have been natural my hair has bounced around apl, collarbone and sl, so it has been longer than my realaxed hair was. My problem is that I can never show the length and it seems like I have no styling options. I wear my hair in twist and twist outs so that it does not knot and so i son't have to style it all the time. I have serious shrinkage (the more it grows the more it shrinks) and it takes an extremley long time to style my hair. But you would never know it because my hair looks 3 inches long when Im done with the twists.

I have been thinking about either starting dreds or getting a texturizer. I probabley won't start the dreds because I like to swich up my styles to much. I want to get the texturizer but.... I'm sorry to say this I will feel like a sell out. I don't know what to do...

I know this is a random vent but if anyone has suggestions (whether it be relaxed or natural) I would surley appreciate it.

Because going natural was a real journey for me. Maybe the term sell out is a bit harsh but i would feel like i was cheating my self.

I know exactly what you mean! I've been natural for a long time, my hair is long and healthy, certainly longer than I could ever get it when I relaxed it but most of the time I just wear it pulled back in a pony tail because if I leave it out, it tends to get bigger and bigger and all over the place. I teach yoga and the first forward fold and it's over.

I'm thinking of roller setting it for a while, have you tried that?

I have tried roller setting and i like the results but it just does not last on my hair. I also work out alot so my hair sweats out of styles quickly.

Why don't you flat iron your hair and play around with it being straight for a while and see how you like it. That's why I straighten my hair once a month. I can have straight hair with bouncy curls for 2 weeks and then when I'm bored with that; I can just shampoo/cond. and then play around with some natural styles for 2 weeks. I call myself having the best of both worlds. But a texturizer might be the answer for you. I don't have one but; I have read many post by the ladies that do; and they seem to be happy to have more styling options. Good luck with your decision:)

Thanks for the advice. I think I will texturize eventually, I'm going to continue doing crown and glory untill the end of the year. The extentions will take my mind off my hair for a while. I don't want to make any rash decisions.

I was gonna say, sometimes putting in extensions help me, but you're alread in them. HAve you tried braidouts? They give me a much looser wave then twist out so you can see my length. I also think straightening it everynow and then will help with the monotony. I've thought about texturizing, but it makes me nervous b/c you can't be sure you'll still have curl pattern left. I've seen girls in college who had almost straight hair after a texturizer and some who it made very little difference on their curl. It seems like a crap shoot.

I understand what you mean, when I decided to relax my hair again I struggled with this a bit.

Don't let other people's ideas about you affect your decision. If you know in your heart that the reason you would relax, texlax, dread, or cut off your hair, then it does not matter what anyone else thinks. You know what is in your heart:)

I now understand that relaxing my hair has nothing to do with me being a black women. Even texlaxed, people can tell that my hair is 4b and I love that!!!

Texlaxing for me is the best of both worlds. Do what you feel is best, don't get caught up in the hype. There is hype for both sides of this issue...just do you:grin:

It is very risky thats why I'm not rushing it. I'm also still very in love with my natural hair, I don't no what the world would be like without two stand twists. But my options are limited I haven't had much luck with heat styling. Everytime I have gone to the salon and gotten my hair flatironed(or even when I have done it myself) it reverts almost instantaneously. Whether its humid or not my hair reverts. One time I got it done in the salon and it was silky straight when I left but three hours later it was a fro again. If you looked at me long enough you could literaly see my hair reverting.

Anyone have any suggestions for a heat protect that will prevent reversion on resistant hair?

trimbride said:
I understand what you mean, when I decided to relax my hair again I struggled with this a bit.

Don't let other people's ideas about you affect your decision. If you know in your heart that the reason you would relax, texlax, dread, or cut off your hair, then it does not matter what anyone else thinks. You know what is in your heart:)

I now understand that relaxing my hair has nothing to do with me being a black women. Even texlaxed, people can tell that my hair is 4b and I love that!!!

Texlaxing for me is the best of both worlds. Do what you feel is best, don't get caught up in the hype. There is hype for both sides of this issue...just do you:grin:[/QUOTE]

You are so right! There is hype in both sides of the spectrum. Also agree that I should do me but what do you do...as far as texlaxing goes? I need all the advice I can get.
tia

Try and change up your products, I'm telling you'll products is everything, when I whip out my denman brush and miss jessies buttercreme you would swear I'm a 3c or 3b, try messing around with products and see if your hair falls inlove with some, and to help your hair from reverting try aveda anti humectant pomade its the bomb for natural hair

I totally understand your frustration...totally.

But, I am trying new styles with my hair and I'm liking the outcome of it so much, its changing my mind about texlaxing my hair. I put pics of my different hairstyles in my siggy not only for you all to see, but INSPIRATION FOR ME!!! It's helping so much and I've been getting compliments about my hair at work and even from people I don't know.

I encourage you to spend alot of time in the mirror playing around with different styles and get some pretty accessories to accent your hair. You can do it...I have all the confidence in the world for you right now and I know I am not alone.

Guesswho is right, that denman brush and the right products will change the outcome of your hair for sure!

HTH and was encouraging!

guesswho said:
Try and change up your products, I'm telling you'll products is everything, when I whip out my denman brush and miss jessies buttercreme you would swear I'm a 3c or 3b, try messing around with products and see if your hair falls inlove with some, and to help your hair from reverting try aveda anti humectant pomade its the bomb for natural hair

I have got to try this...thanks.

Back