"I'm not feelin' ya hair"

- and his opinion matters because...?

I had a vanilla-colored co-worker make a snide comment to me a few weeks ago when I was wearing a lace front wig.

He said, "It must be really great to be able to just pop on some hair everyday."

My eyes traveled up to the empty place on his head where hair should be, only they were random sprinkles of spiky hair along with a shiny scalp.

I responded, "Yeah, you should try it sometime" :yep:

He ran off like a wounded deer :drunk:

That was better than my sock full of quarters.:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I really love you girls, lol. I wish I could pack you all in my cubicle! My hair is big and fluffy and he hasnt walked by my desk yet, today...But I AM ARMED AND READY! Have a great day, all! :)

oh yeah and fluff your hair a couple times today just to show off it's real, and do it once in front of that playa hater co-worker of yours. If he dares say anything else brush your shoulders off in front of him. Guys always saying they hate fake hair see real hair and act stupid. :rolleyes:

You shoulda said 'really, because Bill (rick, bobby, or some other white co-worker that has a higher position/title/salary than he does) was really feeling it' - maybe that would sting his Ego a bit and hint that his opinion matters a big fat ZERO percent. And if he had a receding hairline himself - u could really bruise it... lol

i have a 'not feeling ur hair' story. My sisters wedding - it was dewey (not raining but super humid and wet). i decided b/c of the weather it would be impossible to keep a straight polished or anywhere near neat style so i left my hair natural. Took some curly side bangs out and put the rest in a bun.
The response from an 11 year old girl - 'you look homeless' (nevermind i was wearing a beautiful dress).
The response from my sister - 'i thought you would have at least done your hair, you know we will be taking pictures'.
i didnt think it looked that bad and it was my NATURAL hair - i was hurt.

You shoulda said 'really, because Bill (rick, bobby, or some other white co-worker that has a higher position/title/salary than he does) was really feeling it' - maybe that would sting his Ego a bit and hint that his opinion matters a big fat ZERO percent. And if he had a receding hairline himself - u could really bruise it... lol

i have a 'not feeling ur hair' story. My sisters wedding - it was dewey (not raining but super humid and wet). i decided b/c of the weather it would be impossible to keep a straight polished or anywhere near neat style so i left my hair natural. Took some curly side bangs out and put the rest in a bun.
The response from an 11 year old girl - 'you look homeless' (nevermind i was wearing a beautiful dress).
The response from my sister - 'i thought you would have at least done your hair, you know we will be taking pictures'.
i didnt think it looked that bad and it was my NATURAL hair - i was hurt.
That is really hurtful, especially from your sister. 11 year olds are idiots most of the time, she didnt know any better. I'm sorry that you had to experience such ignorance. If its any consolation I think your hair is absolutely fab--straightened or natural. :yep:

I have a story.

I rarely wear my hair and out style, so my coworkers are accustomed to seeing my hair in either an updo or a wig. So, I went to work feeling oh so cute with my twistout. My now ex co-worker had the nerve to call me Sideshow Bob from the Simpsons. After goggling a picture of the character, I was beyond pissed.

Early this year, she informed me that since I’m no longer wearing my wig. I look too black (meaning afro centric). I had already let too many of her other comments slide. Sideshow Bob was the final straw. I had to let her have it and I mean all of it.

BTW I’m the only black in a small office of eight employees. My remaining co-workers do not comment on my hair unless on a rare occasion I’m wearing my wig again I’ll get a compliment.
Something similar happened to my co-worker at her old job. She had locs at the time, and her supervisor kept asking her when was she going to take those braids out, and does she wash them. She kept explaining to them how locs work but ole girl just kept playing ig'nant. One day she waiting until the supervisor was about 6 blocks away from the job and whipped her ***! The supervisor came in to work the next day and went to HR. My co-worker acted like nothing happened sincethere weren't any witnesses. The HR Manager then said 'well, you know there's been a lot of people that's wanted to whip Renee's ***'.

Something similar happened to my co-worker at her old job. She had locs at the time, and her supervisor kept asking her when was she going to take those braids out, and does she wash them. She kept explaining to them how locs work but ole girl just kept playing ig'nant. One day she waiting until the supervisor was about 6 blocks away from the job and whipped her ***! The supervisor came in to work the next day and went to HR. My co-worker acted like nothing happened sincethere weren't any witnesses. The HR Manager then said 'well, you know there's been a lot of people that's wanted to whip Renee's ***'.

LOL!!!:lachen:

:lachen:too funny.

I have a story.

I rarely wear my hair and out style, so my coworkers are accustomed to seeing my hair in either an updo or a wig. So, I went to work feeling oh so cute with my twistout. My now ex co-worker had the nerve to call me Sideshow Bob from the Simpsons. After goggling a picture of the character, I was beyond pissed.

Early this year, she informed me that since I’m no longer wearing my wig. I look too black (meaning afro centric). I had already let too many of her other comments slide. Sideshow Bob was the final straw. I had to let her have it and I mean all of it.

BTW I’m the only black in a small office of eight employees. My remaining co-workers do not comment on my hair unless on a rare occasion I’m wearing my wig again I’ll get a compliment.

Dunno but I'm wondering if this borders on harrassment and has potential for legal action?

hmm...I like it in her!

So like I have said a million times I have very wavy/not so curly anymore hair, but decided to do the 2-strand twists throughout my head and roll them at the end. When I took the braids out my result was big bodacious shiny fabulousness (bigger than my hair in the avatar). I have never worn my hair completely down unless it was straightened. Always have been nervous about what people would say.

I was a hit at work and everyone loved it. Most of my co workers are white and they said it looked goreous, beautiful and they loved it. Well 1 black co-worker said wow where did u get the wig. I responded this is my hair. Then he:wallbash: had the audacity to say wear it straight, not feelin' it like that.

I know I shouldnt be, but I'm very upset. All of the years of being self conscious about my big hair and wanting to wear it out and this 1 person just brought back all of these insecurities.

Just needed to vent and hear other people's "i'm not feelin ya hair" stories. :perplexed

This is self explanatory. Do not wear your hair for other people. If you notice, it was people of other backgrounds who enjoyed your natural beauty. This self hating NEGRO just doesn't like the fact that they complimented you. He meant to bring out your insecurities---don't let him win next time sis(black women are suppose to be ugly remember?). He meant to do that. Men like him, please ladies, do not give your emotional power to. His motive was obvious. That man saw that you were feeling good and he messed with it.

In my personal experience it was mainly other people who saw the beauty in my big natural hair.

Understand ladies that when people do that---they are out to KILL your self-esteem (ON PURPOSE!!!) If you start to feel bad about their comments. THEY'VE WON.

Have the guts to be you. Screw what others say especially if you run across these black men who seem to be out to limit what you can do and try to debase your character. Let them go and only allow people into your life who are positive minded(black, white or whatever background).

This is self explanatory. Do not wear your hair for other people. If you notice, it was people of other backgrounds who enjoyed your natural beauty. This self hating NEGRO just doesn't like the fact that they complimented you. He meant to bring out your insecurities---don't let him win next time sis(black women are suppose to be ugly remember?). He meant to do that. Men like him, please ladies, do not give your emotional power to. His motive was obvious. That man saw that you were feeling good and he messed with it.

In my personal experience it was mainly other people who saw the beauty in my big natural hair.

Understand ladies that when people do that---they are out to KILL your self-esteem (ON PURPOSE!!!) If you start to feel bad about their comments. THEY'VE WON.

Have the guts to be you. Screw what others say especially if you run across these black men who seem to be out to limit what you can do and try to debase your character. Let them go and only allow people into your life who are positive minded(black, white or whatever background).

Yes that's so true. Haters just want to hate all the time so you can feel as bad and insecure like them.

Everyone else has said it all...and who cares what he thinks? He's not paying any bills, he's not your man....he's just some black dude at work with a whack opinion trying to break you. Tell him you're not feeling his face, and height, and breath.:lachen:

See here's how it would have played out w/me:

Coworker- "I'm not feelin' ya hair"
Me- "I'm not feelin' ya face, now get out of mine"
Coworker- :blush:

The end of that

I have gotten alot of ignorant comments. People don't expect a response and usually just look shocked when I say something as equally ignorant back. Sometimes I take the high road but people need to learn not to just approach me any kind of way . The comments don't bother me because I know I look good to me and that's all that matters.

LOL! :lachen: Ma'am, I have to use that line sometime...

See I'm bold. I told one dude I'm not sleeping with you, why the hell are you worrying about MY hair? Go worry about your wife, didn't you say she needs at least one job to help out? Go find her one and leave me alone.

See I'm bold. I told one dude I'm not sleeping with you, why the hell are you worrying about MY hair? Go worry about your wife, didn't you say she needs at least one job to help out? Go find her one and leave me alone.

Damn I felt a little hurt reading that . I love snappy comebacks

Sooo wish I had that snappy comeback, lol. Besides upping my vitamins, I need to up my boldness. Thanks!

You girls are so empowering and I am totally grateful. Thanks! I actually just twisted my hair for bed and I am ready for Round 2 with this fool tomorrow. :)

yay!! Your hair is soooo lovely!!!!
I'm sorry he made you feel bad!!!

I have a story.

omg what did you tell her?
that is beyond rude!!!

Early this year, she informed me that since I’m no longer wearing my wig. I look too black (meaning afro centric).

This is so rude!! What makes her think it is acceptable for her to say something like that to you?? Now, if you would have told her to add some fat to her backside, because she is looking a bit too white- you'd be the wrong one, right?

omg what did you tell her?
that is beyond rude!!![/QUOTE]

I'm not allowed to repeat most of what I said. But basically, I told her I don't give a d*mn what she thinks of me or my hair. And not to say anything else to me about my hair rather its good or bad, because my opinion of myself is the only one that matters.

Last edited:
Back