I (may) have to go natural...and I don't want to!!!

leigh.hill

Recently I have been experiencing hair loss. I tried everything (tea rinses, protein treatments, garlic added to deep conditioners, etc.). I went to the dermatologist today and he said that it is breakage due to chemical processing. I was really hoping he said it was stress or the seborrhea dermatitis. Nope! Both are under control (which is good :)

I am so sorry natural ladies, please do not get offended when I say, I have not seen a natural style that I like for myself. I think it looks great on you, but I know that I would not like it for myself.

The doctor said I needed to go 6 to 12 months without a relaxer. He even gave me the name of a natural hair salon in the Raleigh area. Do I take the 6 months off or try to go natural? Help!

Thanks!

[USER=198646 said:
leigh.hill[/USER];17706421]Recently I have been experiencing hair loss. I tried everything (tea rinses, protein treatments, garlic added to deep conditioners, etc.). I went to the dermatologist today and he said that it is breakage due to chemical processing. I was really hoping he said it was stress or the seborrhea dermatitis. Nope! Both are under control (which is good :)

I am so sorry natural ladies, please do not get offended when I say, I have not seen a natural style that I like for myself. I think it looks great on you, but I know that I would not like it for myself.

The doctor said I needed to go 6 to 12 months without a relaxer. He even gave me the name of a natural hair salon in the Raleigh area. Do I take the 6 months off or try to go natural? Help!

Thanks!

What do you mean take 6 months off? Not get a relaxer for 6 months?

Sure it's worth a try. Don't relax for 6 months and see how that goes.

How would you wear your hair for those 6 months? How do you wear your hair now?

Which ever you decide to do, good luck and keep us posted. I'd say give natural a try, you might enjoy something new for awhile.

What types of styles do you wear now? I can't think of a style you can do with relaxed hair that you can't do with natural hair...

you don't have to wear natural styles to be natural. you can flat iron your hair and wear it straight. straight hair without the chemicals= no more chemical related scalp stress for you :) you really don't want to play around with your scalp health...if relaxers are causing you hair loss, is it really worth it to keep using them? especially when you have other options?

Why not just do a weave or braids? Or just get a hard press every couple of weeks or every month? You don't have to limit yourself to curly/kinky hair

Reminds me of that comedian that used to be on comic view "it looks good on YOU"...

I digress, I agree with wearing straightened natural hair. That'll probably be ur best bet. I wouldnt stretch for 6 months to just go back to the same damage. Personally if my options were to be bald/thinning or be natural I think the latter is the lesser of 2 evils. JMHO.

Just do an old school press and curl, or flat iron. There and many women who still get them and many stylists out there that do them. And they look great. I believe u wouldn't have to big chop either.

Btw, could u pm me the info on that natural stylist??

Last edited:
Consider this the beginning of your transition. Go natural but you don't have to wear your kinks in their natural state. Keep your hair straight. There's no shame in that

Consider this the beginning of your transition. Go natural but you don't have to wear your kinks in their natural state. Keep your hair straight. There's no shame in that

Agreed. Read what you posted. A DOCTOR told you that relaxers are the cause of your HAIRLOSS.

Get a consult from that natural stylist and park yourself in the transitioning/natural threads stat.

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

try stretching relaxers. I went natural due to a derm diagnosing dermatitis I still don't like how many styles look on me but the growth is worth it plus you can always do braids like crown&glory

Sorry that you have to go through this. I am glad that your doctor caught it in time. It is tough being forced to make a style choice :bighug:

What do you mean take 6 months off? Not get a relaxer for 6 months?

Sure it's worth a try. Don't relax for 6 months and see how that goes.

How would you wear your hair for those 6 months? How do you wear your hair now?

Right now I am wearing it curling to reduce heat and manipulation. I have been air-drying my hair after co-washing and rolling it up with satin pillow rollers.

You've received great advice here. But have you considered a BKT? I'm not sure but perhaps if you look at the ingredients and perhaps have your derm check them out, maybe this would be a good option for you as well. There are some decent ones available that do not contain formaldehyde. I would look into that as an alternative.

Thanks ladies for all your support. Not ONE of your said go back to the relaxer. Dang it! I exercise a lot so I don't know if press/curl or some sort of straightening would be worth it. Never had a weave and I hate braids. I will check out the transitioning thread and see what those ladies are saying/doing.

I agree with most of the ladies. Wearing your hair in braids or something off and on for 6 months would help with stretching your relaxer. I did it twice before when I was relaxed and trying to go natural. Then I gave up, but the point is I made it those 6 months! During the times I wasn't in braids I just used good leave in conditioners to keep the new growth soft, and straightened with minimal heat sometimes or roller sets to blend in the new growth.

If after 6-12 months you get another relaxer and it's still causing hair loss then you really have no other option than to stop getting relaxers right? So, then yeah, try the straight hairstyles with heat. There are so many products out there now that help to get your hair relaxer straight with a flat iron or even the pressing comb. I get mine this straight! Many stylists are good at it too and can help to make your straight styles last a long time. This is IF you end up having to go natural.

I hate to ask this but how does the derm know its related to relaxers? Was a biopsy done? What else was ruled out?

I think you should go natural but I'm just curious.

I hate to ask this but how does the derm know its related to relaxers? Was a biopsy done? What else was ruled out?

I think you should go natural but I'm just curious.

I asked plenty of questions too. He (Black man - don't know if that info is needed) said he could tell it was the relaxer because of WHERE the hair was breaking. He said if the problem was internal due to dermatitis or stress I would have bald areas. I have all new growth. The hair is breaking where the relaxed hair meets the new growth. I asked why is this happening now when nothing has changed? No answer. He said maybe the relaxer was left on too long. He had no real answer except to stay away from relaxers for 6 to 12 months.

I agree with most of the ladies. Wearing your hair in braids or something off and on for 6 months would help with stretching your relaxer. I did it twice before when I was relaxed and trying to go natural. Then I gave up, but the point is I made it those 6 months! During the times I wasn't in braids I just used good leave in conditioners to keep the new growth soft, and straightened with minimal heat sometimes or roller sets to blend in the new growth.

If after 6-12 months you get another relaxer and it's still causing hair loss then you really have no other option than to stop getting relaxers right? So, then yeah, try the straight hairstyles with heat. There are so many products out there now that help to get your hair relaxer straight with a flat iron or even the pressing comb. I get mine this straight! Many stylists are good at it too and can help to make your straight styles last a long time. This is IF you end up having to go natural.

Not that I know how to use a flat iron, but what are some of the products that you are talking about?

I suggest wigs and weaves over straightening your natural hair with heat. If a relaxer is damaging your hair, your strands probably won't be able to handle constant heat either. You can wear wigs and weaves and then straighten your natural hair every once in awhile.

You've received great advice. I definitely would choose healthy hair/growth over unhealthy, damaged, and overprocessed hair. How long is your hair? If you're at least SL, you can rock braidouts, bantu-knot outs, do perm rod sets, and buns. Like the others have said, there are many products on the market to make your hair smooth and straight. How do you feel about wigs? If you haven't had a weave before, wigs are an excellent option.

Not that I know how to use a flat iron, but what are some of the products that you are talking about?

Most serums. My favorite is Mizani Therasmooth Smooth Guard. I've used the Fantasia IC straightening serum too which is also good. A lot of people like Sabino.

Oh and to keep my roots soft while stretching my relaxers I used to use Wild Growth Oil, LTR split end protector, and Infusium. Either of these work for relaxed and natural hair.

Girl, stop the madness. If you need to stop relaxing because your hair's health is at stake, so be it. You can always press it, wig it, weave it, braid it, bun it, and so on. Your health comes first.

I know it sounds real easy for me to say that. But, I don't want anyone to risk their health to continue a lifestyle that's causing a detrimental change in it.

Ok, I'm all for going natural but um, OP dat don't sound right. I thought you had some type of scalp damage like I had. But you are talking about hair breakage. I think we might want to step back and take another look.

Is there any visible damage to your scalp? Do you have bald spots or thinning areas? Does your scalp feel damaged?

I would get a second opinion. What do you ladies think?

I wear crochet braids and box braids after 2 months post and I've been able to stretch between 5 and 6 months for the past 2 years. I've thought about going longer, but it gets so hard detangling between installs towards the end of my stretch. You could try that. These styles are also very easy to wear if you work out a lot.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I wear my hair straight in the winter (see my avatar) and most people can't tell that I don't have a relaxer. Well till it rains LOL there are so many options for us, one of which is straightening your hair. When I transitioned I rollerset every week and flat ironed my hair. My hair was pretty fly LOL since you're going to exercise and don't want your hair to revert, I suggest you wear your hair in a ponytail and slap a headband on.

I know you're not happy, but Going natural is a better option than going bald. I'm glad your doc caught that before you lost your hair. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Back