I (may) have to go natural...and I don't want to!!!

If you are having breakage where the new growth meets the relaxed hair as you said, that is very common. The line of demarcation is very fragile if not moisturized properly. I think you should go natural though if it's causing that much of a problem, you can just straighten like the others said.

Taking a 6 month break isn't as bad as it sounds. I started stretching... Going from every 8 weeks between touch ups to 3 months and then 4 and then after 6, I was like, why bother?

I go to the gym a lot more than I used to and I started wearing weaves almost a year ago, instead of the braids that I had worn for so long in the past. I was anti weave until I experienced it. I like wearing straight styles as I think they suit my personal style more and my tastes. Plus weaves are much lighter than long braids. :)

The great thing with our hair is that we have a bunch of options... Without chemicals. Your scalp will thank you later.

After hearing what the doctor said, it doesn't sound that serious. Its sounds like he is oversimplifying the issue by saying its the relaxer. It could be that it was left on too long, you were going too long between touch ups, not moisturizing the hair enough or properly between touch-ups, or just rough with your hair near that line of demarcation. You could continue with relaxers but take extra care in the areas where you see the breakage but I would personally try going natural. I've been natural for about 10 years and it was just a matter of finding a stylist that could do a silky press. Before then I assumed that any thermal straightening would leave my hair a frizzy mess and swell up like an old school afro. Once I realized that a press n curl was a real option, I didn't think twice about leaving the relaxer behind.

Ok, I'm all for going natural but um, OP dat don't sound right. I thought you had some type of scalp damage like I had. But you are talking about hair breakage. I think we might want to step back and take another look.

Is there any visible damage to your scalp? Do you have bald spots or thinning areas? Does your scalp feel damaged?

I would get a second opinion. What do you ladies think?

I agree. You should try to combat your breakage issue first. leigh.hill didn't mention actually having scalp issues, so the natural route is basically a quick fix. It sounds like you really don't want to go natural, so try to find the cause of your breakage issues first.

The doctor problem sees the relaxer is the main problem when it could just be a matter of your styling methods, moisture/protein balance, etc. He probably is not knowledge about these other causes of hair breakage and gave you a quick fix to the problem.

I asked plenty of questions too. He (Black man - don't know if that info is needed) said he could tell it was the relaxer because of WHERE the hair was breaking. He said if the problem was internal due to dermatitis or stress I would have bald areas. I have all new growth. The hair is breaking where the relaxed hair meets the new growth. I asked why is this happening now when nothing has changed? No answer. He said maybe the relaxer was left on too long. He had no real answer except to stay away from relaxers for 6 to 12 months.

So do you have baldness? Or just breakage at the demarcation line?

And please don't do what I did! I stop the perms my natural hair grow nice and thick, to thick to handle then I got smart and figured oh I will try a BKT once bald a gain in the exact same spot. Just letting you know my personal experience again good luck!

You can try different type of relaxers after the 6 months, no? There's always texlaxing as well. There's also the Japanese relaxer which isn't as intense as the regular lye and no lye ones. But a lot of people stretch here with success so see if any of their regimens are something you can do.

It's just breakage. Find out why it's breaking before you dump relaxers. Do you moisturize your ng? Do you detangle with a creamy product? Do you stretch your relaxers past 6 weeks? Going natural isn't something you can just do. You have to want natural hair and do your research first. A doctor can't tell you that. And why are you going to a MALE doctor about hair problems? It's all confusing to me..

Swype thinks weird and wierd are both correct

Were you over processed? If so, you can probably relax again in the future, but you need to change your method up to be sure you don't damage your new growth. Also, since you're experiencing breakage I'm not sure if braids or even heat styling (maybe roller sets and such, but I'd be worried about a flat iron) would be okay since your hair is damaged. Braids may be okay if they're not too tight, you don't leave them in for too long, and you keep up on your moisture and protein balance. I love braids because I can leave my hair alone for awhile and give it a break, but they're not for everyone.

I'm 34 weeks into a stretch right now. I have my hair in four large braids for a braid out that I'm going to put up in a bun. What has helped me so far is keeping my new growth stretched as often as possible. Once it gets dry or starts curling up too much, tangles and knots! I tried banding once and it worked out okay. The scarf method is very handy in keeping my new growth somewhat flat.

I think you can deal with a long stretch if you read up on it. You just have to be careful, some ladies experience breakage with long stretches because that point between NG and relaxed hair is delicate. You have to find a regimen that works for you and keep up on it. Even if you plan to relax in the future (please read tips from others before you do so you can lower your risk of overprocessing again) the transitioning threads here will be very helpful in the meantime. :yep: There are some ladies that have transitioned or even stretched for over a year!

Edit: As far as exercising goes, I like braidouts for this reason! I neatly do my braids and then pull them back in a loose ponytail. Then I would gently cowash. Shampoo wasn't needed since I was co washing several times a week and aside from sweat my hair was clean. The next day I would remove the braids and wear a braidout. If you're comfortable wearing a scarf (they're some really cute ones out there that you can easily match to your workout gear, I couldn't deal with them because I got too hot :lol: ) or head band that can help keep your hair from puffing up.

Please keep us updated and good luck. :)

Last edited:
Thanks ladies for all your support. Not ONE of your said go back to the relaxer. Dang it! I exercise a lot so I don't know if press/curl or some sort of straightening would be worth it. Never had a weave and I hate braids. I will check out the transitioning thread and see what those ladies are saying/doing.

How long is your hair? Can you do braid/twist/bantu knot outs? Buns? Do you have photos of your hair?

Its hard to give sound advice when we don't even know what your hair looks like. I exercise a lot too and heat styling is a no go. :nono:

It's just breakage. Find out why it's breaking before you dump relaxers. Do you moisturize your ng? Do you detangle with a creamy product? Do you stretch your relaxers past 6 weeks? Going natural isn't something you can just do. You have to want natural hair and do your research first. A doctor can't tell you that. And why are you going to a MALE doctor about hair problems? It's all confusing to me..

Swype thinks weird and wierd are both correct

What difference does it make what gender he is? He's a doctor that studied the exact same information a female derm would have. No different than seeing a male gynecologist. Besides, men have hair problems too. :lol:

Ok, I'm all for going natural but um, OP dat don't sound right. I thought you had some type of scalp damage like I had. But you are talking about hair breakage. I think we might want to step back and take another look.

Is there any visible damage to your scalp? Do you have bald spots or thinning areas? Does your scalp feel damaged?

I would get a second opinion. What do you ladies think?

No damage to my scalp. No bald spots. I have long and short areas where there is new growth. The doctor checked. I will get a second opinion (when I can afford the $81 co-pay :nono:) Until then, no relaxers.

Were you over processed? If so, you can probably relax again in the future, but you need to change your method up to be sure you don't damage your new growth. Also, since you're experiencing breakage I'm not sure if braids or even heat styling (maybe roller sets and such, but I'd be worried about a flat iron) would be okay since your hair is damaged. Braids may be okay if they're not too tight, you don't leave them in for too long, and you keep up on your moisture and protein balance. I love braids because I can leave my hair alone for awhile and give it a break, but they're not for everyone.

I'm 34 weeks into a stretch right now. I have my hair in four large braids for a braid out that I'm going to put up in a bun. What has helped me so far is keeping my new growth stretched as often as possible. Once it gets dry or starts curling up too much, tangles and knots! I tried banding once and it worked out okay. The scarf method is very handy in keeping my new growth somewhat flat.

I think you can deal with a long stretch if you read up on it. You just have to be careful, some ladies experience breakage with long stretches because that point between NG and relaxed hair is delicate. You have to find a regimen that works for you and keep up on it. Even if you plan to relax in the future (please read tips from others before you do so you can lower your risk of overprocessing again) the transitioning threads here will be very helpful in the meantime. :yep: There are some ladies that have transitioned or even stretched for over a year!

Edit: As far as exercising goes, I like braidouts for this reason! I neatly do my braids and then pull them back in a loose ponytail. Then I would gently cowash. Shampoo wasn't needed since I was co washing several times a week and aside from sweat my hair was clean. The next day I would remove the braids and wear a braidout. If you're comfortable wearing a scarf (they're some really cute ones out there that you can easily match to your workout gear, I couldn't deal with them because I got too hot :lol: ) or head band that can help keep your hair from puffing up.

Please keep us updated and good luck. :)

Thank you for the advice!!!! It may have been a case of over-processing but the breakage began about 5 weeks after the relaxer. I wait 10 weeks between relaxers. My hair has only gotten to a certain point with relaxers. I will go some researching to see more about alternatives/natural styles.

I tried braid outs in the past and they all turned into frizzy afros! Again more research needed.

Thanks again for the post!

IF you want to relax that bad then just keep getting relaxers. No one can force you to go natural...not even a doctor. You will just have to resign to the fact that you will have short hair and get a short cut.

Ok. So relax then. Natural hair ain't for everybody but we'll still be here with our nappy selves whenever you make a decision.

I would take the dermatologist's advice. Go natural or go bald....hmmmm....

You may not have bald spots...YET. He may have caught it just in time.

I would stretch the hair first....This happened to my mom...no bald spots, extreme breakage, and the relaxer wasn't really working right. She'd had the same stylist for years. Finally the stylist said just stop relaxing...and she did. And the breakage issue resolved itself. My mom ended up locking her hair a year later. With all the hair growth, you wouldn't think she even had a breakage problem. I mean my mom's hair was jacked. I'm not saying locing and natural is the cure....But understand that many of us....myself included didn't CHOOSE to be natural...we really didn't have a choice if we wanted to save our scalps or the state of our hair.

Again....just cause you don't have bald patches and overt, acute, visible damage, doesn't mean you DON'T have a problem. Get a second opinion....but please believe when it comes to scalp care, there IS a point of no return. Consider it now before you have 1000% absolutely NO. CHOICE. I know plenty ppl who CAN NO LONGER perm their hair. You may have to accept it. Its not the end. Its a journey BTW....I am enjoying my stretched BSL hair. Initally I couldn't SEE MYSELF in those natural styles, TWA/afro, etc....but when I ACCEPTED my face and "look" in natural styles, it grew on me. I actually started LIKING (accepting) my look with natural styles. If not, there is always relaxed short hair styles!

Recently I have been experiencing hair loss. I tried everything (tea rinses, protein treatments, garlic added to deep conditioners, etc.). I went to the dermatologist today and he said that it is breakage due to chemical processing. I was really hoping he said it was stress or the seborrhea dermatitis. Nope! Both are under control (which is good :)

I am so sorry natural ladies, please do not get offended when I say, I have not seen a natural style that I like for myself. I think it looks great on you, but I know that I would not like it for myself.

The doctor said I needed to go 6 to 12 months without a relaxer. He even gave me the name of a natural hair salon in the Raleigh area. Do I take the 6 months off or try to go natural? Help!

Thanks!

No offense taken. The dermatologist told my oldest daughter this as well. She didn't listen though, because she doesn't like "puffy" hair. She has always had a thick, long, curly head of hair though, but as she gets older it's getting thinner. Eventually she will have to make a decision or accept the trade off.

I can relate to the OP and here is why:

I was in a similar situation when I was getting relaxers.Everyone knows relaxers are infamous for breaking off hair and leaving it very dull looking. I learned it was about technique while relaxing to prevent damage. But no matter what I did the relaxed ALWAYS broke off especially in the back. The person doing my relaxers always started in the back. My hair stayed the same length for 2 years because of relaxers.:blush:

My hair has NEVER been that short :nono::blush: I had a decent amount of hair before I began to get relaxers regularly and my hair's health just wilted away.

Then it got embarrassingly damaged I had no choice but to put my hair up into a bun and of course where the relaxed hair snapped off the NG was sticking out which was not a cute look. I basically had 9 in of relaxed hair(which looked horrible in it's own right) and a 4-5 in TWA in the back of my hair. My hair looked really, really, really bad. I became disgusted with my hair and relaxers. Apparently my hair can take a lot of abuse (due to the texture) but something in relaxers just did not agree with my hair. I think it was overprocessing, if you don't overprocess in the future you may not have this problem anymore. But I decided to do away with relaxers altogether. They are more trouble then they were worth and my hair didn't even look good. Like another poster said natural hair can do anything relaxed hair can, style wise.

My only choice was to go back natural. I wish I never even fooled with relaxers in the first place. I transitioned for a year and two months, and found out that overtime the relaxed hair got worse and worse it doesn't get better. No matter what I did. I made the decision and now my hair is healthy again. The back has grown out longer than it ever has since getting a relaxer. My hair is finally retaining length and I couldn't be happier with my decision. But the choice is yours.

OP, this was my hair when I joined LHCF. Terrible breakage, short 1" spots all over, see through ends and bald spots on my crown and left side. The problem was many things but the two main culprits were: SEVERE overprocessing- I relaxed root to tip every 5-6 weeks for years. The other was the way I neglected my hair when the new growth did start to come in strong before I would relax. I "moisturized" with grease and pink lotion :nono:, ripped combs and brushses through my hair daily, flat ironed on highest setting without heat protectant and would let it sit on my hair until it smoked. You name it, I did it. I do none of those things anymore and my hair has really thrived. The post relaxer care is just as, if not more than, important as the relaxing process itself. I would stretch it at least 6 months and REALLY baby that line of demarcation, but if you don't find a good regimen (I advise extreme research), these problems are going to remain whether you transition or not. Both relaxed and natural require a lot of care. I think that maybe you need to revamp? It's up to you whether you will relax again or not. I considered transitioning, but once I learned to care for my relaxed hair, the urge went away and I don't see me doing it anytime soon. Good luck!

I would say stop relaxing your hair.

I tried to go back to relaxers thinking that "this time" would be the time I could have healthy relaxed hair HELL NO!! It's not worth it. There are too many products out on the market now that can help you maintain straight hair without relaxing it. How about you try the CHI Enviro Smoothing Treatment or Design Essentials Strengthening System? Both of those products smooth out the hair enough to eliminate frizz but don't break down bonds in your hair like relaxers do, risking damage. And there's just heat training your hair as well; over time your hair will not frizz as much.

Ultimately the decision is yours but if you are looking to have healthy hair and a healthy scalp, ditching relaxers might just be the way to do so.

You don't have to stop your relaxers because of breakage. You just need to change how you care for it, or your relaxing technique. THIS IS NOT A SERIOUS PROBLEM. Do not waste your money...and you don't need to go natural because of this. :nono:

What will happen if you go natural and you get breakage. And yes, naturals can get breakage too.:perplexed

No damage to my scalp. No bald spots. I have long and short areas where there is new growth. The doctor checked. I will get a second opinion (when I can afford the $81 co-pay :nono:) Until then, no relaxers.

OP, if you are uncomfortable with what your doctor told you, I think the only second opinion you should seek is the advice of another medical professional.

I mis read and assumed it was a scalp problem. If it's just breakage, then u can just revamp your regimen, no?

Maybe posting ur regimen and products so other relaxed ladies can help u trouble-shoot?

Last edited:
Why not just do a weave or braids? Or just get a hard press every couple of weeks or every month? You don't have to limit yourself to curly/kinky hair

but she would not be able to do that until she got her hair healthy because on already stressed out hair from chemicals it will fall all the way out.

leigh.hill

since you may not have the money for a co-pay and second opinion....what about getting a hair analysis from komaza care ppl are raving about it in this thread here:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=626329&highlight=komaza

its $65 and you would get a 5% discount with a refferal code. she studying to be a trichologist and will catch nutritional gaps as well. you would tell her about your reggie, products, and overall lifestyle.

Well......:look:

I was going to suggest doing a search on the texlaxing and stretching threads here. Seems like you are overprocessing with only 10 weeks between relaxers. I'm sure there is overlap with the application. Also how long is the relaxer kept on? I would chose a mild relaxer and leave in on for the shortest time possible. Some of the ladies here who self relaxed slowed the process by (coating the hair with oil). Please search for exact directions and maybe PM a few ladies who have done this, but I believe that's what they were doing. I would at least try to stretch longer and wear more textured styles.

And if all fails........
Honestly, I'm sure the hair you are born with can be styled to look right on you.:spinning: After all it is your hair. Good luck:drunk:

Last edited:
Back