I (may) have to go natural...and I don't want to!!!

Thank you for the advice!!!! It may have been a case of over-processing but the breakage began about 5 weeks after the relaxer. I wait 10 weeks between relaxers. My hair has only gotten to a certain point with relaxers. I will go some researching to see more about alternatives/natural styles.

I tried braid outs in the past and they all turned into frizzy afros! Again more research needed.

Thanks again for the post!

You're welcome. :)

Sometimes the hair doesn't break off right away. I've heard of people's hair breaking off weeks after the relaxer from overprocessing. One lady figured out later that she didn't neutralize correctly. The damage wasn't bad enough to happen right away, but it was still damaged enough that the hair started breaking after a few weeks.

Like crazytrish75 said, post relaxer care is just as important as what you do during the relaxer. :yep: I use ORS aloe shampoo to remove buildup from the relaxer, do a mild protein treatment if I didn't do it mid-relaxer (your hair is weakened after a relaxer, it needs some strength), and deep condition (the process can be drying, especially if you use a no-lye). I also coat my previously relaxed hair with oil so if I overlap it shouldn't be an issue. The last wash before my relaxer (at least 3 days prior or you risk burning your scalp) I do a protein treatment and a DC to prepare my hair.

Depending on how damaged your hair is, you may end up cutting it anway. I used to overprocess on purpose based on the belief that the relaxer "washes out". I think the only reason I didn't lose all of my hair was because I would take long breaks before doing it again. I bring this up because it was easy to cut off the really damaged ends once I saw how much healthier my hair became. :) Speaking of when I used to overlap on purpose, please don't flat iron until you're dealing with healthy hair! My hair wasn't healthy after overprocessing, but I still had hair. Once I started using a flat iron, even though I didn't use it often, it was the last straw for my hair and it broke off from APL to NL. I know everyone's hair doesn't react the same way, I just don't think you should risk it.

I've had more than a few braid outs like that as well. :lol: I have to make sure my hair is well moisturized before I do it. My best braidouts are after I do a protein and deep condition. I don't do very many bradouts during the summer because they really puff up. Make sure they're dry before you unbraid, taking them out when still damp can cause the frizzy fros.

I think six months is plenty of time to revamp your regimen, give your hair a break, and then decide what you're going to do. :yep:

You're welcome. :)

Sometimes the hair doesn't break off right away. I've heard of people's hair breaking off weeks after the relaxer from overprocessing. One lady figured out later that she didn't neutralize correctly. The damage wasn't bad enough to happen right away, but it was still damaged enough that the hair started breaking after a few weeks.

Like @crazytrish75 said, post relaxer care is just as important as what you do during the relaxer. :yep: I use ORS aloe shampoo to remove buildup from the relaxer, do a mild protein treatment if I didn't do it mid-relaxer (your hair is weakened after a relaxer, it needs some strength), and deep condition (the process can be drying, especially if you use a no-lye). I also coat my previously relaxed hair with oil so if I overlap it shouldn't be an issue. The last wash before my relaxer (at least 3 days prior or you risk burning your scalp) I do a protein treatment and a DC to prepare my hair.

Depending on how damaged your hair is, you may end up cutting it anway. I used to overprocess on purpose based on the belief that the relaxer "washes out". I think the only reason I didn't lose all of my hair was because I would take long breaks before doing it again. I bring this up because it was easy to cut off the really damaged ends once I saw how much healthier my hair became. :) Speaking of when I used to overlap on purpose, please don't flat iron until you're dealing with healthy hair! My hair wasn't healthy after overprocessing, but I still had hair. Once I started using a flat iron, even though I didn't use it often, it was the last straw for my hair and it broke off from APL to NL. I know everyone's hair doesn't react the same way, I just don't think you should risk it.

I've had more than a few braid outs like that as well. :lol: I have to make sure my hair is well moisturized before I do it. My best braidouts are after I do a protein and deep condition. I don't do very many bradouts during the summer because they really puff up. Make sure they're dry before you unbraid, taking them out when still damp can cause the frizzy fros.

I think six months is plenty of time to revamp your regimen, give your hair a break, and then decide what you're going to do. :yep:

yes, yes and yes to this whole post, especially the bolded :yep:

I miss read and assumed it was a scalp problem. If it's just breakage, then u can just revamp your regimen, no?

Maybe posting ur regimen and products so other relaxed ladies can help u trouble-shoot?

While my hair has not really grown that much since I joined LCHF, my products have drastically changed :yep:. No mineral oil, no petroleum, etc.

Co-wash days:
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Conditioner
After drying hair, I apply -
Giovanni Leave-in conditioner
Beemine moisture cream combined with Hairveda almond glaze
Chi silk infusion

DC day:
Shampoo with Giovanni new shampoo or Keracare detangling shampoo
Dc with Aubrey White Camilia mixed with Hairveda Vatika coconut oil
Chi silk infusion

@leigh.hill

since you may not have the money for a co-pay and second opinion....what about getting a hair analysis from komaza care ppl are raving about it in this thread here:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=626329&highlight=komaza

its $65 and you would get a 5% discount with a refferal code. she studying to be a trichologist and will catch nutritional gaps as well. you would tell her about your reggie, products, and overall lifestyle.

Interesting!?!?! I will look into it. Thanks!

While my hair has not really grown that much since I joined LCHF, my products have drastically changed :yep:. No mineral oil, no petroleum, etc.

Co-wash days:
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Conditioner
After drying hair, I apply -
Chi silk infusion

DC day:
Shampoo with Giovanni new shampoo or Keracare detangling shampoo
Dc with Aubrey White Camilia mixed with Hairveda Vatika coconut oil
Chi silk infusion

Your hair IS growing but you are not retaining it.

If you have enough new growth that warrants a relaxer every 10 weeks then growing is not your problem - its either your technique or products that you are using. You listed what you do on wash day what are you doing afterwards? Are you sleeping with a satin cap/pillow case? Are you wearing wool hats? Are you moisturizing your hair between washes?

I know what I'm about to say is not popular but not everyone can be a DIYer. Right now it sounds like you don't know what to do with your hair but what you are doing is causing damage. You need to acknowledge that and be willing to do something different for the next 6 months if you want to see a change.

You may not need to quit with the relaxer but you do need to find someone to teach you how to do your hair with healthy techniques. It wouldn't hurt for you to go to the salon the dr suggested for a consultation and just see what styles/suggestions they have. A six month break from relaxing would get your hair in much better shape so you can move forward with a better start whether its a return to relaxing or continuing with the stretch towards becoming fully natural (or towards texlax). What you should not do is to keep doing what you are doing expecting things to be different. I think a natural salon would be more receptive to giving you tools to that than another salon that is itching to get you back on a regular relaxing schedule (at a salon or someone you trust - I think poor self relaxing is the cause of your trouble).

Another unpopular point - cowashing doesn't work for everyone. Yes it may work for 1000 posters but there are many that do not do it and are retaining/growing their hair. If you don't know what/how to take care of your hair then its not worth doing it if the end result is you have zero growth to show after being on this board for 2 years.

I'm relaxed so I'm not on the you have to be natural bandwagon - but what you are doing is not working so you need to learn correct techniques and change what you are doing otherwise your hair will stay stagnant be it relaxed or natural.

Last edited:
Your hair IS growing but you are not retaining it.

If you have enough new growth that warrants a relaxer every 10 weeks then growing is not your problem - its either your technique or products that you are using. You listed what you do on wash day what are you doing afterwards? Are you sleeping with a satin cap/pillow case? Are you wearing wool hats? Are you moisturizing your hair between washes?

I know what I'm about to say is not popular but not everyone can be a DIYer. Right now it sounds like you don't know what to do with your hair but what you are doing is causing damage. You need to acknowledge that and be willing to do something different for the next 6 months if you want to see a change.

You may not need to quit with the relaxer but you do need to find someone to teach you how to do your hair with healthy techniques. It wouldn't hurt for you to go to the salon the dr suggested for a consultation and just see what styles/suggestions they have. A six month break from relaxing would get your hair in much better shape so you can move forward with a better start whether its a return to relaxing or continuing with the stretch towards becoming fully natural (or towards texlax). What you should not do is to keep doing what you are doing expecting things to be different. I think a natural salon would be more receptive to giving you tools to that than another salon that is itching to get you back on a regular relaxing schedule (at a salon or someone you trust - I think poor self relaxing is the cause of your trouble).

Another unpopular point - cowashing doesn't work for everyone. Yes it may work for 1000 posters but there are many that do not do it and are retaining/growing their hair. If you don't know what/how to take care of your hair then its not worth doing it if the end result is you have zero growth to show after being on this board for 2 years.

I'm relaxed so I'm not on the you have to be natural bandwagon - but what you are doing is not working so you need to learn correct techniques and change what you are doing otherwise your hair will stay stagnant be it relaxed or natural.

Girl I was right with you :yep: right up until you said cowashing does not work for everyone :nono:. I LOVE cowashing. It is an absolute MUST after I teach a kickboxing or cycling class. I think it has actually help to keep the Ser Derm under control since my scalp stays clean and clear. I DO need to consider other things that you mentioned. I am definitley taking a break from relaxing, but I need to do some researching on detanging and other methods to retain length just like you said in the beginning.

Thanks for the response!!!!

I wouldn't disregard a derms advice for hair board advice :look: It would have to be kinda serious for him to suggest such a thing. Or maybe I'm just scary but I wouldn't tempt it.

I dont get it...it sounds like u just need to learn how to take care of your relaxed hair. Dont kid yourself, because natural hair will break off just the same if you dont know how to care for it. Doesn't sound like a relaxed vs natural problem.

I dont get it...it sounds like u just need to learn how to take care of your relaxed hair. Dont kid yourself, because natural hair will break off just the same if you dont know how to care for it. Doesn't sound like a relaxed vs natural problem.

And part of taking care of it is taking a break from relaxers. I don't understand the opposition to letting 3" grow. Relaxed/textlaxed ladies here do it all the time.

Girl, you having breakage and no scalp issues??? Ignore my previous post.

Get your relaxed head in the relaxed threads and grow out that pretty relaxed hurr!

First step is stretching your relaxer..............

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

And part of taking care of it is taking a break from relaxers. I don't understand the opposition to letting 3" grow. Relaxed/textlaxed ladies here do it all the time.
I didn't say anything was wrong about taking a break from relaxers, however stretching can cause more damage for some, especially if you don't know how to properly care for both textures and start to see breakage at the line of demarcation depending on the length of the stretch.

Last edited:
leigh.hill

If you need natural style ideas besides flat ironing, to give your hair and scalp a break, try curl formers, you can use them without heat just some product conditioner and/or gel that might help with the 2 different textures, look it up on youtube (Mahoganycurls has a good tutorial on them) I'm sure you know there are tons of tutorials on YT for natural hair of all textures and a lot of transitioning tutorials. Look if a doctor told you to stop, you should stop and find a way to style your hair in a way you can live with, and don't count out natural styles so soon it takes a some time and experimentation your hair could surprise you.
BTW do you know what your natural texture is like?
Once the breakage stops you could do blow outs (longahirdontcare2011 on YT) or flat iron but try to keep the heat usage down.
I think you should get a second opinion when you can. That way you will know if you can ever relax again or if that's it. And to those saying she's not taking care of her relaxed hair properly that might be the case but that's not enough for a doctor to say stop relaxing altogether.
All relaxers are basically made from 1 formula and the no lye is just a spin off of that. ON the other hand every single person has unique and specific DNA, 1 relaxer fits all is ridiculous.
There are people who are allergic to relaxers, perms, haircolor etc...If you are allergic to any of the multitude of harsh chemicals in the relaxer, that could be the problem then you can't and should never relax again. hth

Last edited:
Girl I was right with you :yep: right up until you said cowashing does not work for everyone :nono:.

It's great that you love co washing and works for you. But you can't say it works for everyone!

OP, I think your regimen is fab. The problem is your hair can't take frequent relaxers for now, or even heat. Try to bun it more often, or rollers/curlformers. After your hair is healthy again you may research mild relaxers, and always do protein treatments to maintain.

It's great that you love co washing and works for you. But you can't say it works for everyone!

OP, I think your regimen is fab. The problem is your hair can't take frequent relaxers for now, or even heat. Try to bun it more often, or rollers/curlformers. After your hair is healthy again you may research mild relaxers, and always do protein treatments to maintain.

You right! You right! I have wasted so much money on products that I thought worked for "everyone" :wallbash:. Also, when this breakage first started, I ordered two sets of satin rollers from amazon and I bought foam rollers from Sally's and Ulta (I am a little bit of a hair product junky).

My hair is :censored: right now and a break from relaxers for a minimum of 6 months is exactly what I am going to do.

I talked to my sister and mom about this and guess what? They were told the same thing! My sister listened and mom refuses to even entertain the thought.

This thread is so funny :rofl:

Now we're just going to ignore the advice of a doctor in favor of those from strangers on a hairboard.

If I were you I would listen to my doctor. The excessive breakage could be caused from internal and external stress. Give your scalp some time to rest from the heavy chemicals. Your body and scalp will thank you.

Last edited:

Now we're just going to ignore the advice of a doctor in favor of those from strangers on a hairboard.

If I were you I would listen to my doctor. The excessive breakage could be caused from internal and external stress. Give your scalp some time to rest from the heavy chemicals. Your body and scalp will thank you.

Amen...incredible isn't it?

leigh.hill

The ceasing with relaxers as the doctor stated is an excellent start.

Your next plan of action should be to contact komaza to get that hair analysis. Something is wrong with your reggie cause you are growing but not retaining. The hair analysis will have saved tons of money and time with product trail/error and technique. She has stopped ppl from co-washing, made increase their protein levels or trim more often and she has encouraged them to tweak their diets. Some folks though their hair was a lost cause and she has turned it around. You would send her a follow-up hair sample 6 months later to see how the hair has improved.

your reggie has no protein in it by the way.

here's the thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=626329&highlight=komaza+hair+analysis

I am so glad you ladies can laugh at my pain (to quote Kevin Hart) :grin::grin::grin:

Though I truly appreciate all of the responses, I decided to go with the doctor's advice days ago. Some of you ladies put me in check. He is a DOCTOR. I could ruin my SCALP permanently :nono:. A reality check was needed. Thanks!!!!!

@leigh.hill

The ceasing with relaxers as the doctor stated is an excellent start.

Your next plan of action should be to contact komaza to get that hair analysis. Something is wrong with your reggie cause you are growing but not retaining. The hair analysis will have saved tons of money and time with product trail/error and technique. She has stopped ppl from co-washing, made increase their protein levels or trim more often and she has encouraged them to tweak their diets. Some folks though their hair was a lost cause and she has turned it around. You would send her a follow-up hair sample 6 months later to see how the hair has improved.

your reggie has no protein in it by the way.

here's the thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=626329&highlight=komaza+hair+analysis

Whoops! I forgot to put in the protein. Apogee two-minute before DC and ORS hair mayonaisse once a month.

After seeing southerncitygirl suggestion, I read through the thread on the hair analysis, reviews online, etc. I ordered it yesterday.

Your best bet is actually to probably even leave the heat alone and just give your scalp an overall break from any stress so it can heal and continue all of your tea rinses but make sure you are using high quality natural products. You might want to also look at any unknown chemicals in your products alot of preservatives cause skin issues as well. I wish you well and hope everything works out.

Her doctor said to go 6 to 12 months without a relaxer (stretch) because she may have left it on too long. I didn't see anyone tell her to relax sooner, just give advice for what to do at the end of that stretch if she doesn't want to go natural and how to minimize the breakage he pointed out between the NG and relaxed hair.

As for the bold goes her doctor addressed this:

He said if the problem was internal due to dermatitis or stress I would have bald areas.

No one told her to ignore what her doctor said. His advice was to stretch or go natural, and people gave her advice for both options he gave her.

Whoops! I forgot to put in the protein. Apogee two-minute before DC and ORS hair mayonaisse once a month.

After seeing southerncitygirl suggestion, I read through the thread on the hair analysis, reviews online, etc. I ordered it yesterday.

That's good! I read the whole thread a while ago and ordered because I can't figure out my porosity (that float/sink test always gives me different results) and I want to know what's the safest temp I should be able to flat iron with (several ladies received this information, you should ask them as well, just in case you do decide to go natural and flat iron since you like straight hair).

I mentioned earlier that you may have to trim your hair if it's too damaged, they can also let you know about how many inches you need to cut. Sometimes we can see damage with our eyes and cut it, but under a microscope it can show that we may be missing damage and not cutting enough. They should be able to help you with that as well. :yep:

Also, when I contacted them about a product I'm using, they said I can send in a sample of my hair before and after using the product (in separate baggies, labeled), and they'll let me know if the product is working for my hair. That's a good think to keep in mind if you're not sure about a certain treatment you're doing.

As far as I kno dermatologists deal with hair issues as it relates to the skin. As in hair loss from scalp skin related issues like alopecia. Far as I know skin doctors are not experts in overall hair health. The doc was prob just stating the most obvious problem to him or her which was that the relaxers were causing breakage and offered the only solution they saw fit. I could see if the doc said the relaxers are damaging your scalp and making your hair fall out so quit it. But breakage and actual hair loss are two different things.

^ Couldn't you flip that to say it could be related to the skin but OP didn't understand correctly? Either way, we're not qualified to make those decisions for her. She, at least, needs a second opinion.

ETA: I see she already made a decision. Nevermind.

Last edited:
As far as I kno dermatologists deal with hair issues as it relates to the skin. As in hair loss from scalp skin related issues like alopecia. Far as I know skin doctors are not experts in overall hair health. The doc was prob just stating the most obvious problem to him or her which was that the relaxers were causing breakage and offered the only solution they saw fit. I could see if the doc said the relaxers are damaging your scalp and making your hair fall out so quit it. But breakage and actual hair loss are two different things.

My doc was able to determine was was causing my hair to split and recommended something to fix it. But then again I've more apt to listen to the person with the medical degree and knowledge of body functions :look:. That's just me though.

The fact that here hair is so weak that it's breaking could very well be an internal issue.

My doc was able to determine was was causing my hair to split and recommended something to fix it. But then again I've more apt to listen to the person with the medical degree and knowledge of body functions :look:. That's just me though.

The fact that here hair is so weak that it's breaking could very well be an internal issue.

That is the point though...since he did not determine it was an internal issue or scalp related I think most are concluding that it is coming down to healthy hair practices.

It's no secret that overprocessing the scalp can lead to permanent hair loss. Regardless of anything hair related, people trust their doctors too much. Her asking a forum is just a part of a research for healthier hair practices. I always research whatever is going on with my body/health, even after I leave the doctor's office.

Her breakage is at the demarcation line, so mostly likely it's overprocessing, not internal issues.

Last edited:
Back