I got my Senegelese Braids Today! (pics)

RockCreak

Sooooo, I finally went and got my braids. I went to a braid gallery that I've never went to before (it was highly recommended by my girlfriend). The salon opened at 8 and I was there at 8:10.. I was like :blush:! I couldn't believe how many folks were there... I was like 10th... geese. Anywho, I asked for Senegelese braids and also asked that my braid be started with the twist and not braided then twisted (I hate when they do that). I also went armed with my own supplies... comb, clips, sprays, moisturizer and oil.

OK, so we're about to get started and the lady said that she needed to blowdry my hair first.. so I asked why, she said the straighter the better (couldn't give me a reason) I said, well my hair is fine and I air dryed it overnight.. it's pretty straight and don't need blowdrying. :look: She looked a lil upset but I didn't even care.. shoot this my head. So before she gets started I told her that I'm going to moisturize my head before she starts and applied my whipped shea butter/vatika mix lightly. She was like :blush: I'm going to have a hard time gripping your hair.. I told her she wasn't and to use my spray along the way to help with the grip. (my spray was con and water mixed :grin:) Then she said.. well, I'll do the best I can.

It only took 6 hours for her to braid my hair!!!! :yahoo:
I appreciate that she didn't pull out a lighter/candle to burn off the loose hairs.. instead, she grabbed her shears and cut along every braid... took another whole hour.....

Afterwards, she dipped the hair and hot water and I was out of there...
She was pleased with the results as well!!!!!

Here's the finished looked.

Picture760-1.gif

Picture756-1.gif

Picture757-1.jpg

Picture759.jpg

Picture761-1.jpg

they good good, i'm glad you took a stand and told her how you wanted you hair done, because some ppl will be hush mouth then complain later. "closed mouths don't get fed" but I love them they are really cute

Thank you for sharing. I also want this type of hair style. I will also tell my braider to twist instead of braid-then-twist.

Those look really pretty and I wanted some for the longest after I saw my friend's

n8300812_54537146_1088506.jpg

they were so pretty -- but i was living in Austin at the time and people were taking advantage of the lack of braiders and charging 200+.

When I moved to Houston, the lady who does my friend's/cousins was talkin' bout $80 bucks but I was already into weaves.

I have a question though, how are the ends secured? why didn't she braid/twist all the way to the ends or did she?

Like my cousin has here:
6135_981516466054_8300812_56322297_1287588_n.jpg

I'm only asking because I figure they may have issues with unraveling.

ETA I also love how you moisturized your hair and took control before the twists. Nice

Last edited:
they look good. i like the color you used (i know nothing about hair colors lol)
i need to get mine done again soon

oooooh! I wonder what length my natural hair would have to be to get this style....it would be so cute!

Those look really pretty and I wanted some for the longest after I saw my friend's

they were so pretty -- but i was living in Austin at the time and people were taking advantage of the lack of braiders and charging 200+.

When I moved to Houston, the lady who does my friend's/cousins was talkin' bout $80 bucks but I was already into weaves.

I have a question though, how are the ends secured? why didn't she braid/twist all the way to the ends or did she?

Like my cousin has here:

ETA I also love how you moisturized your hair and took control before the twists. Nice

As far as my ends.. almost all the way down... they actually did a knot and used glue to seal it.. then dipped in hot water....my ends arent going anywhere... I'll have to cut it out.

oooooh! I wonder what length my natural hair would have to be to get this style....it would be so cute!

Stella's is an African Braid shop and like most, they can grip your eyebrows if you let them....

Your twists look great!!:yep:

PS: Next time ask them not to knot or use glue. It is not necessary. Most good braiders can twist to the end and dip in hot water and that's it. They will not unravel.

As far as my ends.. almost all the way down... they actually did a knot and used glue to seal it.. then dipped in hot water....my ends arent going anywhere... I'll have to cut it out.

Stella's is an African Braid shop and like most, they can grip your eyebrows if you let them....

PS: Next time ask them not to knot or use glue. It is not necessary. Most good braiders can twist to the end and dip in hot water and that's it. They will not unravel.

I didn't want them braided to the end.. she gave me what I asked for.

Like my cousin has here:

I didn't want them braided to the end.. she gave me what I asked for.

i think the ends were cut, correct? I had senegalese twist about a month ago and I wanted my ends like the cousin's in the pic....ends like that aren't cut nor twisted...they are just uneven hair from the original twisting hair and then they are dipped to keep them from unraveling. When the ends are cut they will unravel faster/easier so therefore knots and/or glue is used. My braider was not clear on exactly how I wanted my ends so she cut them and I wasn't happy. It was partially my fault because I failed to tell her but when I did the research and looked at pics I had never seen anyone with cut/straight ends. For ME....lesson learned. Will be getting some more senegalese twist this spring. LOVE THE HAIR STYLE!!!

BTW....YOUR TWIST ARE PRETTY AND VERY VERY NEAT!!!!!

I happy you got what you wanted and what you paid for.

That being said, it's been my experience that senegelese twist don't last quite as long when they start of with twist and not braids because the hair they use is not quite as coarse. I don't know how often you wash but I know my started to unravel after the third wash.

I wash my braids once every other week.. and when I wash them.. i use a stocking cap... I don't massage the same as I do when my hair is not in braids.. I'm much more gentle than normal. I also dilute my poo mix to make it easier to absorb in the braid...

Back