I can't believe I use to ___________ and thought it was cute. (Hair related story)

Re: I can't believe I use to ___________ and thought it was cute. (Hair related story

I'm still not picturing this "fan". Can someone post this?

I used to wear my bangs to the side covering my eyes (ala Aliayah). Looked cool on her. Um, there were days I couldn't see a thing out of the left side. And mine were curly bangs.

I also wore really high ponytails to the side (like Madonna). I need to scan some pictures.

I couldn't find a pic of the fan, but it was a high ponytail and people would fashion the hair that would normally hang down into a fan shape sorta like what is going on with the hair this woman has sticking up (just imagine this woman had a ponytail leading to that "fan")
1984-creative-spike.jpg

I never wore the fan though. My hair was too long for that to look "good" lol.

I always wore ponytails, but I would wear these butterfly clips in front of my high ponytails.
images

If I wanted to step it up a bit, I would wear these other butterfly clips that had moving wings (they're on a spring) in front on my ponytail. Some days I wore a mixture of different types of clips.
49e932ae75712_106986n.jpg

Re: I can't believe I use to ___________ and thought it was cute. (Hair related story

OMG! This is the funniest thread ever. I was also a victim of "the fan" and the nasty brown gel.:nono:

I am really laughing so much my stomach hurts.

Ok, the fan looks something like his ponytail but imagine some dry, see through nappy hair way on top of your greasy, full of gel head and spread apart.

Lawd, it was terrible. Some people still do this!

Back in the 80's I had a Mullet. Yep a Mullet. of the Lisa Lisa and the cult jam cut.

I thought I was the hottest thing since Lola Fulana as red foxx would say.

Me and my DH SO at the time Both did. we were styling and profiling. You could not tell me anything.

LORD I can't even bear to look at the pictures now. Then I had the 80's BIG BIG HAIR.

AWFUL

Aaawww, the butterfly clips! I would do flat twists in the front of my head and put a different color butterfly on each twist.

I was just thinking about this earlier ! Back in high school (ok, ok like in 2003/2004) I just to wear my (natural) hair in a big ponytail puff, with two braids at the nape of the neck and balls attached. just a hot mess !

and did anyone else use to put tootsie roll pop suckers in their ponytails??? lmao

and did anyone else use to put tootsie roll pop suckers in their ponytails??? lmao

Ooooh, you in trouble! You KNOW you're supposed to use Blow Pops!:blush:

Aaawww, the butterfly clips! I would do flat twists in the front of my head and put a different color butterfly on each twist.

I remember that style!

I couldn't find a pic of the fan, but it was a high ponytail and people would fashion the hair that would normally hang down into a fan shape sorta like what is going on with the hair this woman has sticking up (just imagine this woman had a ponytail leading to that "fan")
1984-creative-spike.jpg

I always wore ponytails, but I would wear these butterfly clips in front of my high ponytails.
images

If I wanted to step it up a bit, I would wear these other butterfly clips that had moving wings (they're on a spring) in front on my ponytail. Some days I wore a mixture of different types of clips.

guhlllllll i was so jealous when i saw the butterfly clips and i didnt have any!!! i begged my momma 2 buy me some and when i did get em they had to be the sparkly glittery ones AND they had some kinda felt like material so they were like fuzzy:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: u HAD to have the butterflies wit every special occasion doo ESPECIALLY if u had it twisted in the front the clips had to be on the end where they stopped:lachen::lachen:

1984-creative-spike.jpg

images

In my elementary & high school, it was always the people w/ short hair who wore the fan. They used to get teased too. The girls w/ long hair would call their ponytails "peenytails."

So go ahead and spill it... what can't you believe you've done with your hair and thought you were too cute then....:look:

I can't believe I use to have Jheri Curl (this was in the 80's - just to clear that up).
I used loads of spray & activator and thought i looked really good!
Oh dear.:blush: :nono:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

WHAT is a microwave ponytail?

Lol..U take your ponytail; rollerset it and "dry" it in the microwave..:lachen:

That and the "rainfall" aka SWV or Mary J "real love" ponytails were my weaves of choice back in the day....smh...

I am too lazy to read the whole post but I know someone had to bring up back when chix used to rock "SOCKS" on their ponytails???

The fan and the white sock over a "snatchback" were definitely the worse...

We had a regional fad at my middle shool where (I can't believe I'm admitting this) if you were the stuff, you'd store a blowpop in your donut bun, and it had to be a blowpop. Don't show up with a Tootsie pop like no fool. You'd bend the stick or cut it so it wouldn't stab you in the head...So girls would be walking around with these monstrous donut buns with blowpops stuck into the center of them. Don't forget to complete the look by applying too much lipgloss--your lips had to be at least as shiny as your hair.

Are you from the Midwest?:lachen:People used to do that around here. The Fan was also big here.

-I used to wear a low pony or bun with a side part and pull a one long piece from the middle of my head and make it fall over the front of my face.:lachen:

-I used to make a donut bun with a sock but I could never perfect it so the sock was always lumpy and showing. I used a white one.:nono::lachen:

-My go to style was two low pig tails. But they looked a hot mess because one side of my hair is thicker and the other side is longer. So I'd have a short thick one and a long thinner one.:lachen:

i had to bump this! oh the memories!

This thread was too funny as I read through it last night.

Gotta comment on baby hairs
I remember people would get crazy doing all kinds of swirrly design with there edges. :look: I was one of them lol. :lachen:

The sock bun
That was my baby sister all the way...yup and black church socks worked the best lol

The fan. Girls would have so much gel on there ponies that sucker wouldn't move in hurricane like winds.lol Where I lived the spanish girls and black girls with long hair would not just fan there pony but also there bang. There bangs would be sitting about 4 inches off there head!..you was the "stuff" if you could rock the fan pony and bang lol (the bigger and higher the bang the badder you were lol) one of my sisters was in love with doing this .

Oh and when I was in middle school my mother wouldn't allow me to relax my hair. So every morining I would use hairspray and the curling iron to try and straigten my hair. I would be walking around with crispy half straight, half nappy, half fried hair..I'm surprised I wasn't bald by the time I got to high school...lol

Last edited:

Bumping this old thread for more stories!

Ok. Who here used to have the mushroom? Short on the top and long on the bottom. My mom wouldn't let me cut my hair so I took rollers, removed the snapping part and rolled the top of my hair up and then pinned the hair down around the roller all around my head lol! My mother has a picture up that I took with my fake mushroom.
Then came the era of the China bangs hairstyle. Instead of cutting it all around you just cut it from one side to the other. Well my mom was ok with this hairstyle. In fact, she said that she could do it for me! Mistake. Instead of cutting it straight across she cut it on a curve. I looked like a lion. I wore it to school and this girl actually thought it was cute and went and let someone mess her hair up like that on purpose lol!
I am also guilty of the the triple-play als known as the maximizer lol. I cringe evrytime I see those pictures. I looked like the bride of Frankenstein! I have also had finger waves that led up to a pin-curled ponytail with the back of my hair hanging down lol. I thought that pin curls were the business! Oh and don't let me forget those hard spiral sets. I have an aunt that still wears her hair like this lol!

This thread is crazy(truth!)!!:lachen: All it's missing are more pics!!:yep:

7th grade brown gel and pink lotion were my best friends, I would literally mix these two together to do my side ponytail fan out with the short thin bangs. The whole year i thought I was hot stuff with my fan ponytails. 8th grade came I lost the middle part of my hair then brown gel and pink lotion got banned from my house:lachen::lachen::clap: I've definitely learned my lesson. SMH:werd:

Last edited:

The only thing I did that was embarassing was make waves and curls with my sideburns when was like 11. bur that was that was the style back then. Grown women were doing it. So I dont think it was that bad. LOL:lachen:

Hey, I still think those butterfly clips are the shiz. You wouldn't catch me wearing em. But I still tink they are fly. I also used to take my hair and get these neon colores rubber bands and put them into pigtails and stick like 4 rubber bands spaced out down my hair. I used to be soo cute. lmao.:lol:

me too! those clips would kill my scalp!

relax.......(not and though it was cute part).... just really happy to be nappy

I remember in middle school we all used to talk about the "Moesha" braids. Everybody had them (some still get them) I never did the whole braid thing, just crochet braids. Then they used to slick down the front "baby hairs" with that brown gel and twirl it around into circles of some sort:lachen:...
(couldnt resize image, sorry :look:)
345fpcz.jpg

20v0qd3.jpg

263y8b7.jpg

I remember in middle school we all used to talk about the "Moesha" braids. Everybody had them (some still get them) I never did the whole braid thing, just crochet braids. Then they used to slick down the front "baby hairs" with that brown gel and twirl it around into circles of some sort:lachen:...
(couldnt resize image, sorry :look:)
345fpcz.jpg

20v0qd3.jpg

263y8b7.jpg

i liked it better when B shaved her edges

A ghetto a$$ 3 layered ponitail!!

A ghetto a$$ hard gel swoop!

probably walking with by behind poked out like I done lost my mind.

.....*rolls eyes*

lmaoooooooooo @ this thread

Why did you have to remind me?
I thought that I buried all of this along with that whole ignorant lifestyle.
Planning who's going to get beat up at the next party etc....

In junior high the donut was all the rage, but they had to be BIG. Why was I walking around with a saucer sized donut? Then I was jealous because this girl's was the size of a charger plate.
-----------------------------

and don't let me get started on the girls who added a weave ponitail to their donut buns!

Those big socks rolled up!... I used to hate it when I thought my sock wasn't showing and then from another angle I'm like 'aaawwww sh-t!'

Back