I can't believe I use to ___________ and thought it was cute. (Hair related story)

Re: I can't believe I use to ___________ and thought it was cute. (Hair related story

MICROWAVE PONY -TAILS!!!!! throw some good ol cheap yaki on some rods and stick it in for about 2 to 3 minutes and voila! all I needed was half a tub of brown gel to slick my bald headed hair up into a pony-tail and bobby pin the track right on in! i scratched my scalp so much with those bobby pins LOL But it was crrrute tho!

LOL at half a tub of gel. My aunt used to do my microwave ponytails. Before she put in the pony she would slap my hair up in a tight ponytail (so tight my eyes seemed Asian). I then sat under a dryer for like 20min until the gel dried up HARD!!!

After the half s tub of brown gel was hardened on my head, my aunt would pin the curly ponytail in and call it a week! A week because that's how long it lasted. It was "the bomb". I was the "it" girl with the SWV ponytail. You couldn't tell me nothing :yep:

Re: I can't believe I use to ___________ and thought it was cute. (Hair related story

sigh... i'm pretty much guilty of ALL of the above. :lachen: not to mention they many dye jobs... blonde, red, you name it. but for the record, my fan really was cu-ute! i mean seriously. 2nd grade. (when my hair was thick and "long") i got it done at a salon... chinese bangs, fan and glitter. :yep: yes, i said glitter. :lachen: i had everybody wanting a fan... i pray i never do my child like that. :nono: :lachen:

I used to love doing the ear to ear bangs with a super duper high fan ponytail sitting at the top of my head. The higer the ponytail was, the better.

There was also a fad in middle school where all the girls would wear a french braid going up the back of the head leading to a high ponytail at the top. That was the style there.

Nobody couldn't tell me this hairstyle wasn't poppin and that I had bomb hair!

:look::look::look:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Attachments

• before LHCF.jpg
    before LHCF.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 274

In middle school I always wanted the fan, but didn't know how to make it. Ok I had for the whole 4 years of highschool a neck length grandma wig looking bob. I thought it was so hot and then I had the nerve to try to slick the sides down woth Panteen because brown gel was outlawed in my house, lol. 4 years ya'll. I have pictures to. I'll post them when I get home. I ain't shame, lol. :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

LOL at half a tub of gel. My aunt used to do my microwave ponytails. Before she put in the pony she would slap my hair up in a tight ponytail (so tight my eyes seemed Asian). I then sat under a dryer for like 20min until the gel dried up HARD!!!

After the half s tub of brown gel was hardened on my head, my aunt would pin the curly ponytail in and call it a week! A week because that's how long it lasted. It was "the bomb". I was the "it" girl with the SWV ponytail. You couldn't tell me nothing :yep:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: yesssssssss!!!!!!! SWV!!!!

Nobody couldn't tell me this hairstyle wasn't poppin and that I had bomb hair!

:look::look::look:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

DAMN Ewilliams your hair really changed for the better!

Am I the ONLY one who still likes BABY HAIR?

DAMN Ewilliams your hair really changed for the better!

Am I the ONLY one who still likes BABY HAIR?

No doesn't lil kim have "baby" hair?:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

And ginuwine lol

I really don't get what's wrong with baby hair. Can someone explain it to me? :perplexed

:yep: they sure do still wear that. I never understood why? It's SEE-THROUGH!

Oh well, don't forget the "Struggle Bun". :lol: I don't remember which member, but that's what an LHCF member used to call her buns before her hair grew out when a ponytail and bun were little nub sized. :lol:

that was me :grin: but i wasnt talking about my hair :lol:

1. In highschool my hair reached an all new level of shortness and I didn't quite have enough to put in a decent ponytail, but I had enough to put in two ponytails. So I did two little stubby ponytails and thought I was CUTE!

2. I thought it would be a good idea to use one of those ponytail claws. I've learned that those are actually for women with hair. Imagine me walking around with this big clamp on my hair covering all of my stubby ponytail.

3. My bi fabulous bejeweled scrunchy that covered up 99% of my stubby ponytail. I was all scrunchy with a few strands peeking out.

Back in highschool, if you hair was longer that neck length, you must have been mixed or something! ha

OK, what about the french rolls/buns with the fingerwaves on one side, twists in the back, a bang in the front??? 3 hairstyles in one!!! :grin::grin: What about the french rolls with the 'pearled' bobby pins, glitter and a spray design.. My stylist took anything (a heart shape, star shape, even scissors 1 time) and spray painted (temp spray color) the stencil shape on by bun... Girl I had so many different decorations...

I am guilty of the FAN too! I forgot all about that! hahahaha

And, I am still a fan of baby hair, but I told myself last year when I turned 30 that it was time to let the baby hair go forever. Yes, it took turning 30 for me to let it go. When I was a teenager I used to brush it down hard, gel it, then take a rattail comb and do all my little designs in it all down my hairline, then the slick my ponytail back with handfuls of brown gel and then wrap some 10 inch yaki tracks around it. You couldn't have told me I wasn't FINE as all get out.

Anyone remember getting a "french roll" that was gelled down HARD, with a pantyhose leg rolled up in it for fullness and a bunch of hairpins adorned with fake gold beads and rhinestones holding it all together? Why did we do that?

I really don't get what's wrong with baby hair. Can someone explain it to me? :perplexed

Its nothing wrong with "natural" baby hair. I was talking about the slicked about the gel put around the hair line and it being slicked down...trying to make the roughness look like "good" hair... LOL

I am guilty of the FAN too! I forgot all about that! hahahaha

Anyone remember getting a "french roll" that was gelled down HARD, with a pantyhose leg rolled up in it for fullness and a bunch of hairpins adorned with fake gold beads and rhinestones holding it all together? Why did we do that?

My french braid was cute :look: I still like those pictures from when I was younger. I have an aunt that can't do a childs hair to save her life...so I always had "grown" styles on my head when I was with her. I was about 8 walking around with that french roll...and I knew I was the ish. Until I got home and my momma d**n near tackled me to take it down. I be like momma nooooooo! Pissed off! :lachen: Man those were the days :rolleyes:

Wearing a Face Lenght Dominican Bob! I thought I was so fly =/.

i still like baby hair but i dont slick it down like i used to. i dont really know what to do with it. its not straight so it dosent laydown by itself like "real" baby hair. i just put some mousse and put on my du rag. then they dont look gelled down but still are flat

i had natural hair most of my life and i was styling it. i didnt know much other than twists and bobos so i was wearing them until i was 16:look::lachen:

OK, what about the french rolls/buns with the fingerwaves on one side, twists in the back, a bang in the front??? 3 hairstyles in one!!! :grin::grin: What about the french rolls with the 'pearled' bobby pins, glitter and a spray design.. My stylist took anything (a heart shape, star shape, even scissors 1 time) and spray painted (temp spray color) the stencil shape on by bun... Girl I had so many different decorations...

:lachen:I forgot all about the multi-tasker. Couldn't tell me nothing with my bob in the back, lifted fingerwaves in the front with the ends in a sideways french roll accented with curli-q's on the side. And again all shellacked down for eternal preservation. :wallbash:
This thread has me rolling. :lachen:

Ok.. Are you ready for this?? So when I was growing up I did my own hair, so in Junior High school we wore 'fans'. Girl, I had my brittle neck length hair pulled up in a high ponytail and spread my ends out like a 'fan'.Girl i'm surprised a good whiff of wind aint come by and snap them ends right off..lol . Hell, I used to spritz that bad boy so hard so it wouldnt blow.. I was highstepping down the hallway..CUZ I KNEW I WAS CUTE...:wallbash::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::nono::nono:

I remember that being the "style" back then. I would try to do it, but mine never looked right. I had shoulder length hair, and tried to make the curls really tight so that I fan could "stick out":look:. Never worked:(

Use the brown gel to make side burns with curls in it! I just it was the best thing!

Brown gel was to stuff!:lachen:

I used to pull my hair back in a bun (really tight) and have like 6 different colored scrunchies on it (like a rainbow of colors)! It was SOOOO tight, but I thought I was so cute!:lachen:

I used buy phony ponies that were like 3a spiral curled hair, and my hair is like 3c4a and dry. and it was super straight from that "good perm". So I had super straight roots, and curly ponytail. That was a NO NO!!

LOL :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I used to do something similar I had straight relaxed hair walking around with an 4b afro puff! My parents used to talk about me all the time when I would wear that style. I thought it looked good though!

I used to use a brush and brush down my baby-hair along my edges with some brown gel and water. Think "Chilli" from the group TLC. Haha...I used to think I was soooo "cute" with my "baby-hair" along my edges. Ummmmm....NOT!! :wallbash: :nono:

You are describing my style for Homecoming Dance 1995:grin: . . .and best believe I had some baby hairs slicked down on the sides--couldnt tell me nothin :lachen:. . .oh snap--WHY am I remembering my cousin bobby-pinning "pearls" in the seam of the french roll?!!!:lachen:

I forgot all about the multi-tasker. Couldn't tell me nothing with my bob in the back, lifted fingerwaves in the front with the ends in a sideways french roll accented with curli-q's on the side. And again all shellacked down for eternal preservation.

This thread has me rolling.

Edited because I responded before I saw the above responses--oh yes :-)--I do remember--I thought I was SO cute

Last edited:

Class of '93 raising hand :look:. I am guilty of all that you've stated along with dried out frizzy/wash and goes with no curl definition. Looked like a wet cat :lachen::lachen:

OMG I just saw a pic of me back in the day. I had my hair in synthetic cornrolls and had my natural bangs out? WTF? Did I mention my hair was natural? Dang I was ugly!

C. Nicole you make me laugh.

What about dyeing my hair with Kool Aid??!! :ohwell:

I can't believe I used drench my head in brown gel to pull my lifeless hair into a back ponytail and THEN :nono:

add about 5 scrunchies on top of that:look: ya know... for thickness :lachen:

In junior high the donut was all the rage, but they had to be BIG. Why was I walking around with a saucer sized donut? Then I was jealous because this girl's was the size of a charger plate.

Back