I BURNED MY HAIR!

Irresistible

I burned off about a 1/4 to 1/2 of the bottom right section of my hair. I am a long time presser and have never done anything like this. I still cant totally figure out how I misjudged the comb so badly. Just sharing and saying be careful my fellow Presser's and heat styler's. I know if I were to press again, I would check the comb every time, I THOUGHT I had that inner timing thing down ...I also think I was trying to get it done quickly (big mistake) and I also think in part its that I cant manage my hair anymore

there are quite a few albums from start to finish

http://public.fotki.com/IRRISISTABLBTCH/2008/

learn from me ladies! learn from me!!!

Its going to be a LONG time for me to get that 'thickness' in that section back. It wasnt worth it!

Oh no I"m sorry to hear this. You hair is beautiful and will recover in no time. Thanks for the warning. I am turning into a bit of a heat fanatic.

I feel your pain. I just did this recently and I now have a small patch where there once was a few strands.

We'll both recover soon.

Sending you empathy hugs!!

Yeah be careful , one misjudgment can take away years of work

I was so traumatized by this , but I still finished my hair, but I checked the comb every time after on a towel, and was too afraid not to

Oh no I"m sorry to hear this. You hair is beautiful and will recover in no time. Thanks for the warning. I am turning into a bit of a heat fanatic.

Girl thank you!!!!

I felt so stupid!!! lol

and now I dont feel so alone

We just have to correct what went wrong and NEVER do that again

I feel your pain. I just did this recently and I now have a small patch where there once was a few strands.

We'll both recover soon.

Sending you empathy hugs!!

That has to suck BIG TIME!

I did see in someones fotki where they said they place the pressing comb on a paper towel before they put it in their hair to make sure the comb is never too hot.

I understand about rushing that is usually when the regrettable things happen.

Stay strong, thanfully you have a good regime and it will grow back.

Yeah its best to always test the comb , as I found out you cant become a pressing Guru and always have the perfect judgment going on

it will grow back , but since I burned it at the top....it will be YEARS

SIGH

That has to suck BIG TIME!

I did see in someones fotki where they said they place the pressing comb on a paper towel before they put it in their hair to make sure the comb is never too hot.

I understand about rushing that is usually when the regrettable things happen.

Stay strong, thanfully you have a good regime and it will grow back.

If I could go back in time......

yeah its hard to have any set back after not having any for a while now

But I am thankful I obtained more thickness over the last several years, so that it was less of a total tragedy

I saw your album and I'm sorry it happened. But your hair is still fabulous regardless :yep:.

So sorry Iris..........i think it's a helluva big thing you did by coming here and sharing this :nono: for folks.

thank goodness hair grows back. watch that pressin comb next time though :nono:

I dont think I even want to press anymore

its too big of a job and too much work and energy. I just dont have it anymore

we shall see though

Ohhhh yikes be careful with that. But I'm sure you will be able to baby that spot in no time and it will be back with a vengeance. But at least it's a lesson learned to you and others to keep from making that same mistake, so thanks for the heads up! :)

I am sorry this happened to you. My grandma burned a patch of my bangs off in high school. It turned blonde then disintegrated! All we could do was laugh.My hair grew back, and so will yours. I was taught to always test the comb on a white towel and if the towel turns brown it's too hot. Just give the spot some TLC and it will be fine. At least you can camoflage it.

Well there is a difference! There is nothing I can do but just let that part grow back FOR YEARS

LOL

The pics were included in the link.....its not too bad, but bad enough and bad is still bad
:nono: So sorry. I feel your pain. I have burned my hair so many times! :nono:

Does it look bad? What are you going to do?

yeah always test the comb!!! Thats my main point!!!

I burned it so bad that it burnt to a crisp right there on the spot and came out in a clump when I combed it

I was in such a panic and shock I was looking for my comb and couldnt find it and tearing up ...anticipating what was going to come out when I combed, I THOUGHT I BURNED THE WHOLE THING

and the comb was on my head the whole time, holding some hair up

what a mess! I can laugh a lil' bit at that now

it was so not funny then

I am sorry this happened to you. My grandma burned a patch of my bangs off in high school. It turned blonde then disintegrated! All we could do was laugh.My hair grew back, and so will yours. I was taught to always test the comb on a white towel and if the towel turns brown it's too hot. Just give the spot some TLC and it will be fine. At least you can camoflage it.

I am very sorry to hear that. Of course you know that it will grow back, but it is so very frustrating :perplexed You had beautiful hair before this and it's still just as beautiful now.

:eek: The EXACT same thing happened to me when I was young!!!!

(((Hugs))) I am heart-broken for you. I am so sorry this happened to you. And thank you so much for the warning.

I burned off about a 1/4 to 1/2 of the bottom right section of my hair. I am a long time presser and have never done anything like this. I still cant totally figure out how I misjudged the comb so badly. Just sharing and saying be careful my fellow Presser's and heat styler's. I know if I were to press again, I would check the comb every time, I THOUGHT I had that inner timing thing down ...I also think I was trying to get it done quickly (big mistake) and I also think in part its that I cant manage my hair anymore

there are quite a few albums from start to finish

http://public.fotki.com/IRRISISTABLBTCH/2008/

learn from me ladies! learn from me!!!

Its going to be a LONG time for me to get that 'thickness' in that section back. It wasnt worth it!

Oh, Honey! I'm so sorry to read this. Of course it hurts. :bighug:Although it wasn't as devastating as it would be if your hair was shorter, it still isn't an easy pill to swallow. Your lesson, though, may make a huge difference to someone else, who wouldn't have fared as well. Thanks for sharing with us, and chin up! We love you!

Exactly girl!

thats why I had to just suck it up and share it!

thank you! *hugs*

Oh, Honey! I'm so sorry to read this. Of course it hurts. :bighug:Although it wasn't as devastating as it would be if your hair was shorter, it still isn't an easy pill to swallow. Your lesson, though, may make a huge difference to someone else, who wouldn't have fared as well. Thanks for sharing with us, and chin up! We love you!

I'm so sorry!! I've just recently done the exact same thing so I know how you feel. It's so bad it took me a couple of days to finally get the mirror to look at the damge. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I wanted to cry, and actually almost did. But I look at it this way...lesson learned and with hard work the damage will be repaired.
Hang in there!!

I'm sorry that happened to your beautiful hair, Iris. May I suggest (my solution for all ills LOL) roller setting as a way to straighten your hair? You and I have a similar curl pattern although your hair may be thicker and I get very smooth long lasting results from wet sets.

In any case, your hair will recover in no time and probably you are the only one who can notice the damage.

You see, this is why I am practicing on my head months before I attempt it on my daughter's head.

I figure that I can work out the kinks to my method (pun not included) before Eaaster comes. That way, any burns (hair, scalp,or otherwise) would be on me and not them.

My mother used to use me as the guinea pig in the house when it came to hair stuff. Pressing comb in a jar, jheri curls, relaxer, etc. That might be why I was always burned up and scarred with jacked up hair.

It is thread like this that teach me to be very careful.

Thank you Irresitable for sharing.

Back