I am SOOOO thinking about getting a relaxer

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
B

Bublnbrnsuga

Nope, my natural hair isn't hard to manage, styles are not redundant nor limited, and no I am not tired of being natural. It's just that I miss doing those 'body wraps,' you know, the style where you roller set your hair on big rollers, sit under the dryer, comb it out, then wrap it around again to knock some of the curls out. When it's time to wear the style, :love: the hair is so full of bounce and body and chunky curls! I really do miss doing this style and this is the only reason I am thinking about relaxing. I know being natural has versatility, but so does being relaxed. I just needed to tell someone how I feel and I know you ladies are not judgemental about hair woes, so there you go.

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Nope, my natural hair isn't hard to manage, styles are not redundant nor limited, and no I am not tired of being natural. It's just that I miss doing those 'body wraps,' you know, the style where you roller set your hair on big rollers, sit under the dryer, comb it out, then wrap it around again to knock some of the curls out. When it's time to wear the style, :love: the hair is so full of bounce and body and chunky curls! I really do miss doing this style and this is the only reason I am thinking about relaxing. I know being natural has versatility, but so does being relaxed. I just needed to tell someone how I feel and I know you ladies are not judgemental about hair woes, so there you go.

No, Bubln......you do not miss sitting under a dryer, girl. :lol: :lol: I just did a rollerset last night, and dreaded every single second of being under that dryer. I call that thing, "The Torture Box".

I really feel you Bubbln! I miss that style as well (and so does my husband!) Ever since he cut his dreads off, he has been throwing hints of me changing my style. I have been natural since 2001 and to be perfectly honest, I'm kinda bored with it. I don't think I will relax completely. I think I'm going to try texturizing again. I'll just have to see how it goes. Whatever you decide to do, you'll still be one of my hair idols. :)

BBS, girl i feel you, seeing all these beautiful rollersets this weekend had me wanting to get a relaxer. But, i know me scalp would be mad at me if i did. :(
I dont miss the "torture box/chamber" either. :lol: I remember my behind would be numb for a long time.
Edited to say please dont do it your hair is so beautiful!

Last edited:
I feel ya, well not about missing the process, but about missing the style. I recently texturized after being natural for 4 years and I'm so glad I did. Wearing my hair in a straight style was simply NOT an option for my natural hair. It was way more trouble than it was worth, didn't last a day, and I had to use soooo much heat I was always terrified of damage and I was still never able to achieve the texture I wanted.

Now I have ALL the same benefits I had with my natural hair and can do all the same styles and I have the versatility of a relaxer. I doubt I'd ever go fully relaxed, but I'm lovin my texturizer and all it's benefits, wash and go's, less bulk, less shrinkage, the option to straighten, etc. :grin:

Now that said, I LOVE your hair the way it is!

The thing about texturized hair is it being either under or over processed. I just feel that I would save myself distress if I got a relaxer.
Also, I DON'T miss the process:lol: It's just the outcome that I am longing for. I so miss wearing my hair in ringlets with the hard rollers. I know that relaxed hair is looked upon as being unhealthy (to a minority extent),but I really feel that by being on here, my relaxed hair would be off da chain!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You have beautiful hair! I think it looks great the way it is. Its your decision tho----> coming from someone who sits in the torture box for 2 hours :mad: Believe me you will miss your wash and go days!

Bublnbrnsuga said:
I know that relaxed hair is looked upon as being unhealthy (to a minority extent),but I really feel that by being on here, my relaxed hair would be off da chain!!!
:up: I know. If you know how to work with relaxed hair it can look good too!

I feel the same way about being relaxed, sometimes sista's like you make me want to go natural, it just looks so sexy and natural I guess but I never really want it bad enough to try it since I love me some relaxed hair I just don't know what I would do on those hella hot summer days. Is there anyone that can press your hair so it has the relaxed look and not all greasy and stiff? because, my cousin is natural BSL and I just run the maxiglide threw her hair and at night she either pincurls it or put it in four bantu knotts in the morning she has the rollerset look, most pple think its a weave,LOL.

Bublnbrnsuga said:
The thing about texturized hair is it being either under or over processed. I just feel that I would save myself distress if I got a relaxer.Also, I DON'T miss the process:lol: It's just the outcome that I am longer for. I so miss wearing my hair in ringlets with the hard rollers. I know that relaxed hair is looked upon as being unhealthy (to a minority extent),but I really feel that by being on here, my relaxed hair would be off da chain!!![/QUOTE]

Yeah that's true. I've always been pretty good with doing my hair and always did my own relaxers and stuff in the past so I knew with all the tips I've gathered here I'd be fine. I undertook it like a pro! It came out great. Texturizing in sections was probably the best advice I took with me. Plus I used Phyto index 1 so I really wasn't concerned about over straightening and was able to work slow. After working with my natural hair for so long and really KNOWING my hair for the first time and learning what I was doing wrong in the past, I think my hair will thrive now also. At almost BSL it's already longer and more manageable than it's ever been in my adult life.

I know whatever you decide it will be hot! But won't you miss your curly options? A year from now?

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I feel the same way about being relaxed, sometimes sista's like you make me want to go natural, it just looks so sexy and natural I guess but I never really want it bad enough to try it since I love me some relaxed hair I just don't know what I would do on those hella hot summer days. Is there anyone that can press your hair so it has the relaxed look and not all greasy and stiff? because, my cousin is natural BSL and I just run the maxiglide threw her hair and at night she either pincurls it or put it in four bantu knotts in the morning she has the rollerset look, most pple think its a weave,LOL.

Okay, see that's the thing- I've had some horrible encounters with folks straightening my hair. One lady BURNED my hair and another one used the blowdryer, flatiron, and straightening comb in my hair back to back!! I want to try that dang maxi- is it really worth it? Does it really straighten the hair that good? I did a similar style (straightened plus bantued) like what your cousin did with my jumbo irons and it came out purrrfectly,but I can't recreate it! I have a pic of the style in my album, the second year.

bludacious said:
I tell you what! I will trade my relaxed hair with your natural hair anyday!

Sister, that's the truth. Bubbln', I'll give you the remaining 12" of my relaxed hair in exchange for your natural hair, LOL.

You all do so many styles to your relaxed hair that I didn't have the interest nor the desire to do--I knew that if I got a style, I'd have to maintain it, which I didn't wanna do. :D It took my hair 2 hours to dry from a wet set under searing heat, so that was a rare occurance--I don't think I've ever even seen the style referred to in this post. :ohwell:

sprungonhairboards said:
Bublnbrnsuga said:
The thing about texturized hair is it being either under or over processed. I just feel that I would save myself distress if I got a relaxer.Also, I DON'T miss the process:lol: It's just the outcome that I am longer for. I so miss wearing my hair in ringlets with the hard rollers. I know that relaxed hair is looked upon as being unhealthy (to a minority extent),but I really feel that by being on here, my relaxed hair would be off da chain!!![/QUOTE]

Yeah that's true. I've always been pretty good with doing my hair and always did my own relaxers and stuff in the past so I knew with all the tips I've gathered here I'd be fine. I undertook it like a pro! It came out great. Texturizing in sections was probably the best advice I took with me. Plus I used Phyto index 1 so I really wasn't concerned about over straightening and was able to work slow. After working with my natural hair for so long and really KNOWING my hair for the first time and learning what I was doing wrong in the past, I think my hair will thrive now also. At almost BSL it's already longer and more manageable than it's ever been in my adult life.

I know whatever you decide it will be hot! But won't you miss your curly options? A year from now?

Nah. When I had a relaxer, my hair was still curly.

You know what me too. Girl that was my cue to 'run it through' again :lol: It never got straight until I permed the hell out of it 4 or 5 times :lol:

I can't believe I didn't go bald :lol:

sprungonhairboards said:
You know what me too. Girl that was my cue to 'run it through' again :lol: It never got straight until I permed the hell out of it 4 or 5 times :lol:

I can't believe I didn't go bald :lol:

You and me both! When I was relaxed, I had about 3 full root to ends relaxers to get my hair straight. Needless to say, my efforts were in vain.

Bublnbrnsuga said:

I can understand how you feel, but you have such pretty hair. The very thing we want to change about ourselves, other's envy. I love your hair. If you want the feeling of relaxed hair for a day, get a wig or something. But, just make sure you won't regret any decision later.

Funny you start this thread 'cause I just came from Duane Reades. I brought 2 relaxers and I plan on using them tonight. Why did I feel like I was sneaking??? Like I did not want anyone to see me staring at the relaxer, putting the kit in my basket and paying for it! :lachen: I'll post some pics soon.

You're right about folks here not being too judgemental with decisions like yours. People have been very supportive of my transitioning and I could not have asked for any more understanding.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You'll look beautiful either way.

:Rose:

Bublin' you are one of the people I look to for inspiration when I am getting frustrated.

Your hair is so beautiful Natural --I LOVE IT! shoot I WANT IT!! I love your wash and goes, and even though I wont have the thickness I know what there are many styling options.

Could you just get a weave for a short while.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Bubln don't do it! Your hair is so pretty. Why don't you try pressing or flatironing to get the relaxed look?

I love your hair, it is so beautiful and thick.
I think that fully relaxed hair takes too much time and patient, if you want the hair to be healthy. I remember my fully relaxed days, just not funny.
Now I love my texturized hair, but I do understand what you mean about the texturized hair, it being either under or over processed.

I feel you girl, I miss my relaxed hair as well. I remember your relaxed and transitioning photos from back in the day(yes, I stalk your album, lol) and I use to drool over those pics! I am still droolin over your natural hair, but the bottom line is your hair is fly either way! Good luck in whatever you decide!

Bublin, I so feel yr pain. I loved my texturzed hair, but i was uneducated in how to handle it. I went natural and now I'm wishing for the texturizer again! :lol: My stylist would kill me so that's not gonna happen anytime soon! :lol: Your hair is like mine. It never was completely straitened with a relaxer either. I still had to flat iron it strait! :ohwell:

DON'T DO IT!! :nono:

You are a natural hair inspiration. Shoot girl I had a nightmare that someone was perming my hair and I was crying!! :shocked:

You have a beautiful, thick, full head of hair. Perming is something that HAS to be done to the new growth. You will miss those "wash-n'go's" :lol:

:kiss: Thanks everyone for being so understanding and for making me comfortable about coming to you all with this issue. Coming from some, you'd think it was an abomination to even think for a millisecond about relaxing natural hair. I still don't know what to do though.

lkg4healthyhair said:
Bublin' you are one of the people I look to for inspiration when I am getting frustrated.

Your hair is so beautiful Natural --I LOVE IT! shoot I WANT IT!! I love your wash and goes, and even though I wont have the thickness I know what there are many styling options.

Could you just get a weave for a short while.

I've never worn a weave. That would be interesting...

Back