I am going to keep/start relaxing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tafa01

With all the BC and transitioning threads all other the place, I just wanted to create one for those who are still relaxing, plan to relax, etc. It can be once a year, twice a year, every other month, texlaxing, whatever.
Lets share tips and tricks to have the healthyest relaxed hair possible.
My game plan is to keep relaxing every 12 weeks from April to Nov, and have braids on for winter.
I wash and DC twice a week, once with protein and once with moisture.
I started with neck lenght in July, and now I am shoulder lenght.

I decided to keep relaxing when I touched up in September after stretching for six months. I hate shrinkage and prefer the way my texlaxed hair behaves. When my hair is dry with no product I am still a 4a and I love that too but my texlaxed hair care takes less time and effort for me.

I use henna regularly, I love grocery store (food in my hair) and homemade products. I have started bunning more, wear my hair up 99.5% of the time and have just ordered lots of ayurveda powders to experiment with. I just bought a solid ceramic flat iron too to start showing some length after growing for almost 3 years!

I am going to keep relaxing only twice a year.

:yep: thanks for this thread! I was starting to feel like a serious minority around here (not that there's anything wrong with that---lol)

I plan to keep relaxing, only now it will be 4 times a year instead of 8-10. I've literally cut my exposure to chemicals in half, and my hair is already thanking me for it. I do drool over pictures of natural hair, but I just dont think i have the patience or strength to transition (at this time).

Whenever I crave texture I'll just rely on my twistouts :drunk:

Just wanted to thank you for this thread, Tafa :grin:

Of course, staying with my lovely Affirm but streching for longer like 16-18 weeks instead of my usual 12 weeks.

well - I'll be honest I sit on the fence all the time. I want to be natural but I don't have what it takes for me to be happy natural I don't think. I'm 7 months in and my hair has no curl definition in the front and I look so not cute. Self esteem is shot when I look in the mirror at it. So who knows. I may or may not continue this journey. we'll see.

I also plan to keep on relaxing. :yep: Ideally, I'd relax twice a year, but I'm still working my way up to that point. Right now, I'm nine weeks post, and I initially planned for my next relaxer to be at 12 weeks, but I'm extending it to be 16 weeks. So far, the stretch has been good. The new growth has started acting a fool, but it's not too bad yet. I've been using Care Free Curl on it, and it keeps it well moisturized and detangled. I'm worried about using glycerin-rich products in the winter, so I'm hoping to find other spray moisturizers that are good for new growth.
And this winter, I plan on taking care of my hair with plenty of deep conditioning, staying on top of my protein, keeping my ends well oiled and moisturized, and doing lots of protective styling. I will also be using ayurvedic oils in my regimen and oiling my scalp with castor oil to add strength and thickness to my hair. And I'm also very curious about what moisturizers other relaxed ladies are using in their hair. I've been using j-curl juice, but I would like to start using other things, especially with the colder and drier air coming in.
Great thread, OP!

I also plan to continue relaxing...I feel that it may be less time consuming and I can go straight and curly/wavy (via braidout) with ease.

I will continue to relax using MBB once a year until I am at MBL then I will go to 2 a year. I dont relax much cause I live in a place that rains at least once per day so I cant put the time and effort into doing my hair and get caught in the rain. On the other hand I love the feel of a fresh relaxer so I will do it around the Holidays when I have many parties to attend.

I'm going to continue to relax every 9-12 weeks. Also, I plan to switch to a lye relaxer next touch-up.

I'm relaxed, texlaxed or whatever you want to call it. I will prolly continue until I get sick and tired of it. I haven't got sick and tired of it yet. I only relax 4 times per year 12 - 14 weeks and never bone straight.

I plan to continue relaxing every 12-16 weeks. I just need to work on consistency with my relaxer brand. Starting at my next relaxer, sometime in Jan 2010, I'm going to jump on the Phyto bandwagon. Wish me luck!!!

I will continue to relax every 2-3x per year until I reach my ultimate goal (then I'll relax 4x per year). Game plan--->Wear low mani styles, keep hair & ends moisturized, no direct heat, and incorporate hardcore protein treatments when needed...and enjoy my healthy relaxed hair :)

THANK YOU!!
I was getting sick of the chemicals are the debit theme. They are fine for me:grin:
Im relaxed and my last touch up was a texlax, I do this to retain some thickness and I dont see me stopping no time soon. I relax mild Lye HS and maybe the next one will be MBB. 10 - 14 week touch ups and blowouts in between so my hair doesn't break like mad or look dry. My hair is growing back nicely and I will no longer be a PJ. KISS:yep:

I love my relaxed hair and intend to keep getting it relaxed four times a year in March, June, September and December.

I relax before vacations and events so I can easily manage my hair when away from home. Allows me to give my hair a break during times I don't have anything planned and can do more ponys and updos.

I relax with a mild lye relaxer every 12 weeks and I will continue to relax 4 times a year forever!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to continue to relax every 10-12 mos. I would love to relax only 4x a year, if I can. I am having a hard time figuring out how to maintain my hair, as it grows. I am not a person who can wrap my hair(cross or reg) nightly. So I am working on a good nighttime regimen. Also I am protective styling more. I'm at least wearing my hair up 2-3 days a week. I wash 1x a week in the winter, flat iron, or set, wear it down for the weekend and usually through Wednesday. After that its back to a ponytail, bun, or updo. I have been natural, and it was a little too time consuming with my schedule. I have currently been using Affirm relaxer applied at the salon.

I love my texlaxed hair. It is healthy and thriving. I will continue to texlax 4 times per year probably forever.

I plan to keep relaxing, with Mizani Regular lye/Sensitive Scalp Mizani. Every 10 plus weeks. Its works for me and my schedule. However next year goal is to only relax 3 times in a year. This year I only relax 4 times, the year before I believe it was between 6-8.

Im happy this thread was started. Thank you OP.

I had dredlocks from the age of 7-14...

I wore my natural hair in braids for a year...

And I got my first relaxer at age 15...

I have seen both ends of the spectrum so I have a complete view of the difference between relaxed and natural hair, and I must say...I will stay relaxed for as long as possible.

I like the manageability and the fact that I no longer have to spend so much time detangling my thick, dense, 4b hair. I love a beautifully styled head of natural hair, but right now being natural is not an option for me.

I plan on relaxing my hair every 9-12 weeks. I don't relax bone straight, and I don't relax every 5 weeks like I use to. And my hair is doing fabulous.

BTW great looking hair ladies. Chaos that bun is banging. :yep:

I'll Deff. try to continue to relax my hair every 12 weeks.. it was getting kind of rough.. but im a soldier and can hold out!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back