I about to splurge and buy a hair steamer, those who have one please come and

curlytwirly06

I 'm about to splurge and buy a hair steamer, those who have one please come and

Convince me im not stupid for buying a 120$ hair tool. I want to step my conditioning game up. I never seem get the soft moist hair even after the conditioner washes out no matter what unless it's filled with silicones and leaves my hair coated feeling. I have switched deep conditioners to many times because of this. I have tried under the dryer, all night long deep conditions and while my hair is conditioned after washing, it does not have that ummph I see ladies with steamers getting from their sessions.

Can those with steamers please tell me the difference you saw in your hair after steaming and if you are happy with it and thought it was worth it?

Last edited:
Not a steamer owner but have you clarified recently? Have you tried warming your conditioner in a water bath before applying it? Diy steaming?

I was considering getting one a while back but the diy method was pretty cool so I talked myself out of it. Plus I read a lot of people saying their steamers are sitting collecting dust because they barely ever use it.

Think of the products you could buy for $120! Lol.

Definitely worth it. Had one since '08 but had some 'issues' with it in '13.

DID NOT hesitate to replace it STAT.

It takes DC'ing to another Level. Very therapeutic/relaxing.

It even makes your 'not so great' DC'ers perform better.

Definitely a great purchase.

Not a steamer owner but have you clarified recently? Have you tried warming your conditioner in a water bath before applying it? Diy steaming?

I was considering getting one a while back but the diy method was pretty cool so I talked myself out of it. Plus I read a lot of people saying their steamers are sitting collecting dust because they barely ever use it.

Think of the products you could buy for $120! Lol.

Girl yes. That is exactly what I'm thinking about. All the products I could buy for 120. Yes I have clarified recently. I clarify about twice a month. I have also tried warming the conditioner, letting it sit in my hair overnight -12hrs, and under the dryer. Nothing gives me that extra ompph I want from deep conditioning.

Definitely worth it. Had one since '08 but had some 'issues' with it in '13.

DID NOT hesitate to replace it STAT.

It takes DC'ing to another Level. Very therapeutic/relaxing.

It even makes your 'not so great' DC'ers perform better.

Definitely a great purchase.

Thank you. I am going to step my conditioner game up as well with buying the much raved about silk dreamers deep conditioner

I think you'll be really pleased with your purchase.

I think you'll really enjoy steaming and your DC'ing will go to the next level.

It has been my single best investment of a product and/or tool. Ever.

Girl yes. That is exactly what I'm thinking about. All the products I could buy for 120. Yes I have clarified recently. I clarify about twice a month. I have also tried warming the conditioner, letting it sit in my hair overnight -12hrs, and under the dryer. Nothing gives me that extra ompph I want from deep conditioning.

I see. Well you can't say you didn't try before splurging on one. If DCs work better like IDareT'sHair said, then you'll spend less in products and it'll be worth the cost. :)

If you get one, please report back on how it works for you!

I see. Well you can't say you didn't try before splurging on one. If DCs work better like IDareT'sHair said, then you'll spend less in products and it'll be worth the cost. :) If you get one, please report back on how it works for you!

Thanks! I am going to use it after I take my yarn twist out so I'll update the thread then.?

I bought my steamer when Heutiful first popularized them. I had serious dry hair issues, but I feel that was due to not using the right products. I typically used the steamer once a week for about 1yr and a half. I can't say that it worked better than my heating cap. Both felt pretty much the same. I found that the steamer was a bit too bulky and cumbersome so I stopped using it and switched to my heating cap. Now I just use the steamer with the facial attachment to refresh my hair when I don't have time to wash it. I use it similar to how people use that Q-Redew.

I bought my steamer when Heutiful first popularized them. I had serious dry hair issues, but I feel that was due to not using the right products. I typically used the steamer once a week for about 1yr and a half. I can't say that it worked better than my heating cap. Both felt pretty much the same. I found that the steamer was a bit too bulky and cumbersome so I stopped using it and switched to my heating cap. Now I just use the steamer with the facial attachment to refresh my hair when I don't have time to wash it. I use it similar to how people use that Q-Redew.

The bolded ... I find that steaming and my heat therapy wrap give me the same result.

pros of steamer
it really is therapeutic
you get a mini facial

Cons of steamer
Im stuck in one place (unlike the heat therapy wrap where I can go about doing stuff while Im steaming)

I end up using it only in the cooler months (I live in Jamaica and its hot as hayle for most of the year)

it has been my 2nd best hair investment since my Pibbs. especially when I have lots of NG, it makes it so soft and easy to comb thru/flat iron/etc (I do apply my conditioner like a relaxer every time I wash)

I think it is worth the investment. I've had mine almost a year and I use it every time I shampoo wash which is every 2 weeks. Before using it, I would have to moisturize every day now I only need to moisturize every 4-5 days.

This thread is tempting me!!!!! I always wonder if it's much better than using my heating cap. I do have the space for one in my spare bdrm.... hmmmmm...

This thread is tempting me!!!!! I always wonder if it's much better than using my heating cap. I do have the space for one in my spare bdrm.... hmmmmm...

I know right! First I'm like yes, no yes, no. I probably will just close my eyes and click the checkout button. I am looking at the professional steamer from LCL beauty. Does anyone have any brand suggestions?

I bought one last Black Friday and finally set it up in April, don't ask what took me so long smh. Anyway, I think it's totally worth it -- a game changer for moisture. I use mine weekly with my DC.

I bought the LCL Beauty home steamer, not the professional. I love it and it's easy to use. Opted not to get the Huetiful because I can't stand anything tabletop. I always seemed to have problems sitting comfortably under tabletop dryers. I have the space so it works for me.

curlytwirly06 I did a detox on my hair with Terraessentials lemon. I had sort of shoulder length hair then and had to add some Aztec clay because I only had one bottle. This process returned my natural curl pattern. I have a steamer and use it pretty frequently when I am at home. I think my hair responded better to treatments after the detox. I still think that steamer results are an improvement over overnight dc's, and other therapies that open the hair shaft. I am over to my mother's house and use my gold and hot dryer because I did not move my steamer over here.

Re: I 'm about to splurge and buy a hair steamer, those who have one please come and

Convince me im not stupid for buying a 120$ hair tool. I want to step my conditioning game up. I never seem get the soft moist hair even after the conditioner washes out no matter what unless it's filled with silicones and leaves my hair coated feeling. I have switched deep conditioners to many times because of this. I have tried under the dryer, all night long deep conditions and while my hair is conditioned after washing, it does not have that ummph I see ladies with steamers getting from their sessions.

Can those with steamers please tell me the difference you saw in your hair after steaming and if you are happy with it and thought it was worth it?

My FIRST steamer was the bomb.com and it made my hair feel soft, moisturized, and my wash 'n goes were beautiful. It especially worked well in the winter. I err ummm accidentally broke it (too embarrassed to say how) and I bought a second steamer for a few dollars less. Well I regretted trying to save a few dollars because the cheaper steamer just never really got my hair moisturized like the first one. So I threw it away and probably some LHCF person went through my garbage because in the morning it was gone before the garbage man came by LOL

So to make a long story short...
Yes I highly recommend steamers and I will purchase another one soon

Love love love my steamer! My hair never retained moisture for any length of time. After co washes my hair would feel moist and soft for one day - two tops. Daily moisturizing left my hair frizzy with products laying on top. Terrible low porosity hair. And then I got a steamer! I DC and steam once a week. Love it! Clarify once a month - six weeks. Soft, moist, manageable, strong hair. :grin:

Re: I 'm about to splurge and buy a hair steamer, those who have one please come and

My FIRST steamer was the bomb.com and it made my hair feel soft, moisturized, and my wash 'n goes were beautiful. It especially worked well in the winter. I err ummm accidentally broke it (too embarrassed to say how) and I bought a second steamer for a few dollars less. Well I regretted trying to save a few dollars because the cheaper steamer just never really got my hair moisturized like the first one. So I threw it away and probably some LHCF person went through my garbage because in the morning it was gone before the garbage man came by LOL

What was your first steamer and the second one?

I also bought a Heutiful steamer and it's worth it. I have low porosity hair so I steam every week and found that I'm experiencing hair growth at places that didn't have growth before. For instance, my edges seems to be growing back. I'm gonna bet it's the steaming because I wore box braids for 2 years and 6 months and while my hair grew, my edges did not and it's not like I was braiding too tight because there was no hair for me to latch on to so, I'm gonna say the steaming is worth its weight in gold. I am so convinced that it's the steaming that I've hid my magnifying mirror so that I won't check my edges again until October. I'll definitely know for sure by then whether it's a fluke.

Yesss!! I just ordered on from ebay. I only paid $56.00 for my standing steamer and its supposed to be delivered today. I didn't want the table top steamer. I just felt like it didn't do anything for me and just hated it.

I'm natural and when I have visited natural hair salons on a consistent basis that is the #1 thing they make sure they do is to offer hydration steam treatment. What it does is it puts the moisture back into your hair so for us naturals that revert when we go out our hair won't revert in the rain or when its damp outside. Also we don't have to put as much product on our hair. I remember times I can go a week without putting anything on my hair(it would also weigh it down), but a week without applying any products because my hair was moisturized enough just from my salon visit.

I think its a great investment and also it helps to get the blood flowing and help with hair growth.

Yesss!! I just ordered on from ebay. I only paid $56.00 for my standing steamer and its supposed to be delivered today. I didn't want the table top steamer. I just felt like it didn't do anything for me and just hated it.

I'm natural and when I have visited natural hair salons on a consistent basis that is the #1 thing they make sure they do is to offer hydration steam treatment. What it does is it puts the moisture back into your hair so for us naturals that revert when we go out our hair won't revert in the rain or when its damp outside. Also we don't have to put as much product on our hair. I remember times I can go a week without putting anything on my hair(it would also weigh it down), but a week without applying any products because my hair was moisturized enough just from my salon visit.

I think its a great investment and also it helps to get the blood flowing and help with hair growth.

Wow... that's amazing!

I was laughing way to hard till I clicked the link and saw it was the steamer I just bought. I had watched so many reviews and people really seemed to like this one and LCL Beauty is supposed to have great customer rep. Now what am I gonna do...:nono:

The bolded ... I find that steaming and my heat therapy wrap give me the same result.

pros of steamer
it really is therapeutic
you get a mini facial

Cons of steamer
Im stuck in one place (unlike the heat therapy wrap where I can go about doing stuff while Im steaming)

I end up using it only in the cooler months (I live in Jamaica and its hot as hayle for most of the year)
I bought a steamer last year. I agree with the pros and con above. I don't like being stuck in one place. I like moving around and bothering my sons. It is great for deep conditioning and steaming my face.

The one I own is on wheels and takes up some space. The dome or hood is really big so as my hair grows, I won't have to worry about steaming one side then the other. It's hot now, and I get itchy thinking about using it. But I plan on using it weekly in the late fall and winter.

I looked for the name of my steamer, but I don't see one. I also paid about $84 on Amazon. The instructions for putting it together were bad, but I figured it out. I'm sure I've gotten my $84 out of it.

Whatever you decide to do, try to read all of the product reviews. That helped me know the limitations of the model I bought so I wasn't surprised.

Good luck with your purchase!

Back