I about to splurge and buy a hair steamer, those who have one please come and

Gee, your scrappy one is on my to buy list.:lol: Did u try using distilled water in it?

Yes I did
The water evaporates too fast on the steamer I don't like. The way the holes on the hood are placed makes it not heat up as much. Overall it's a crappy steamer.

Yes I did The water evaporates too fast on the steamer I don't like. The way the holes on the hood are placed makes it not heat up as much. Overall it's a crappy steamer.

Oh dear grossness. I am seriously depressed now I just bought a terrible steamer. Has anyone else bought the lower priced steamer from LCL and had favorable results?

I was just thinking of getting a steamer so thanks for the post. I will definitely be checking your recommendations.
For those who use a steamer, do you steam with a cap on or without?

Definitely worth it. Had one since '08 but had some 'issues' with it in '13.

DID NOT hesitate to replace it STAT.

It takes DC'ing to another Level. Very therapeutic/relaxing.

It even makes your 'not so great' DC'ers perform better.

Definitely a great purchase.

I like the one from LCL Stand Up Pro=Series. Lovely. Works like a Charm.

All of what IDareT'sHair said. I've owned my pro series steamer for about 2 or 3 years now (I loose track). I had an issue with it not getting hot enough. It got hot but just not hot as I thought it should. I shipped it back, they serviced it (free, under warranty) and it has worked like a champ ever since.

ETA: I also own the Heutiful Hair Steamer and I hate it. I got burned by it -- the scorching water dripped onto my shoulder and I had to seek medical attention. I will stick with my LCL.

Well y'all have inspired me to dust off my LCL steamer and revisit it. I've used it a few times but seems so daunting pulling it out of the closet and finding all cup thingy lol.

@curlytwirly06

Call them and have them switch it before they ship it.:look:

There was a 10% Discount Code. I don't remember what it was though?

They have EXCELLENT CS. Tell them you had a 10% Discount Code, but you forgot what it was.:lol:

@lenu80

No Cap.:yep:

Last edited:
Thanks but it already shipped like 4 hours after the order.... When you brought yours what year was it? in 2014 the model was pro 175. Earlier it was the pro 150 model. I am hoping they newer model is better. What problems did you have with yours exactly?

Oh dear grossness. I am seriously depressed now I just bought a terrible steamer. Has anyone else bought the lower priced steamer from LCL and had favorable results?

I did and my hair loved it! Sadly, I tipped it over (multiple times) and it finally broke after 2 years of consistent use. I replaced that steamer with the LCL Pro and its awesome. It was only collecting dust because I was being lazy. I much prefer steaming to sitting under the hooded dryer.

Last edited:
I def. regret buying a steamer(lcl pro 165?).
My hair was no more moisturized than when I did o/n dc tmts.
I hardly ever used it but the thing that connects the foot stand to the joint connector broke so I just threw it away.

I think it is worth the investment. I've had mine almost a year and I use it every time I shampoo wash which is every 2 weeks. Before using it, I would have to moisturize every day now I only need to moisturize every 4-5 days.

lulu97 which one you have. I'm getting one for my birthday soon and SO doesn't know which one to get. I don't want mine conking out on me in 6 months

Yesss!! I just ordered on from ebay. I only paid $56.00 for my standing steamer and its supposed to be delivered today. I didn't want the table top steamer. I just felt like it didn't do anything for me and just hated it.

I'm natural and when I have visited natural hair salons on a consistent basis that is the #1 thing they make sure they do is to offer hydration steam treatment. What it does is it puts the moisture back into your hair so for us naturals that revert when we go out our hair won't revert in the rain or when its damp outside. Also we don't have to put as much product on our hair. I remember times I can go a week without putting anything on my hair(it would also weigh it down), but a week without applying any products because my hair was moisturized enough just from my salon visit.

I think its a great investment and also it helps to get the blood flowing and help with hair growth.

bluediamond829 which one you get?

I have the Secura, the cheap LCL and the expensive LCL. Save yourselves the money and just buy the expensive ($139) LCL from the start.

The Secura is fine but table top appliances annoy me. I use it for facials now.

The cheap LCL ($89 when I bought it in '09ish) worked fine until the wheel thingy broke and it wouldn't stand up. The unit itself still works. I've it stored away in case my current LCL stops working. It fits the stand so all I'd have to do is switch out the "tops".

The expensive LCL ($139) is the best of the bunch. It steams like a dream. It's much better than the cheap one, but I'd never have know it if I didn't have that one first. My hair loves steam and I use it weekly. I've had it for 3 or 4 years now (I forget) and it's held up just fine under weekly use. The only problem I've had is with clogging in the drainage line and it was nothing that some pipe cleaners couldn't fix. I recommend this one.

I have the Secura, the cheap LCL and the expensive LCL. Save yourselves the money and just buy the expensive ($139) LCL from the start. The Secura is fine but table top appliances annoy me. I use it for facials now. The cheap LCL ($89 when I bought it in '09ish) worked fine until the wheel thingy broke and it wouldn't stand up. The unit itself still works. I've it stored away in case my current LCL stops working. It fits the stand so all I'd have to do is switch out the "tops". The expensive LCL ($139) is the best of the bunch. It steams like a dream. It's much better than the cheap one, but I'd never have know it if I didn't have that one first. My hair loves steam and I use it weekly. I've had it for 3 or 4 years now (I forget) and it's held up just fine under weekly use. The only problem I've had is with clogging in the drainage line and it was nothing that some pipe cleaners couldn't fix. I recommend this one.
Okay so I have the cheaper LCL steamer. I have used it for almost a month now and it works well. I got the cheaper one because I could not afford the higher priced one. Do you think the level of performance of the cheaper one is so much under the the higher priced one that it was not worth the buy? I have not used any other steamer but this one works great and does the job I'm looking for., also which model of the older one did you buy? It is my understanding that they changed the cheaper one in the last 2yrs.

I have been thinking about getting a steamer for years now... I have been DCing under my pibbs forever and am so used to it. I think I just might go ahead and take the plunge and get one. I have also been looking at the pro from LCL.

Does anyone know if LCL typically does Black Friday sales on their steamers?

it has been my 2nd best hair investment since my Pibbs. especially when I have lots of NG, it makes it so soft and easy to comb thru/flat iron/etc (I do apply my conditioner like a relaxer every time I wash)

Exactly what she said. I steam DC faithfully weekly and DD Bi-Weekly, couldn't live without it...I own the pro LCL steamer and it's worth the investment.

Okay so I have the cheaper LCL steamer. I have used it for almost a month now and it works well. I got the cheaper one because I could not afford the higher priced one. Do you think the level of performance of the cheaper one is so much under the the higher priced one that it was not worth the buy? I have not used any other steamer but this one works great and does the job I'm looking for., also which model of the older one did you buy? It is my understanding that they changed the cheaper one in the last 2yrs.

You'll be fine. As I stated up thread, if I'd never bought the expensive one, I'd never have known and been just fine. Ignorance was bliss. I only upgraded because my stand broke and I had the extra funds at the time. I still have the cheaper one as backup.

ETA: the cheaper one seems to have a life spam of about 2 years. That seems to be what every one gets out of it for one reason or another.

You'll be fine. As I stated up thread, if I'd never bought the expensive one, I'd never have known and been just fine. Ignorance was bliss. I only upgraded because my stand broke and I had the extra funds at the time. I still have the cheaper one as backup.

ETA: the cheaper one seems to have a life spam of about 2 years. That seems to be what every one gets out of it for one reason or another.

I might just get the cheaper one. I can do something with the $50 I save

Yesss!! I just ordered on from ebay. I only paid $56.00 for my standing steamer and its supposed to be delivered today. I didn't want the table top steamer. I just felt like it didn't do anything for me and just hated it.

I'm natural and when I have visited natural hair salons on a consistent basis that is the #1 thing they make sure they do is to offer hydration steam treatment. What it does is it puts the moisture back into your hair so for us naturals that revert when we go out our hair won't revert in the rain or when its damp outside. Also we don't have to put as much product on our hair. I remember times I can go a week without putting anything on my hair(it would also weigh it down), but a week without applying any products because my hair was moisturized enough just from my salon visit.

I think its a great investment and also it helps to get the blood flowing and help with hair growth.

How is this one holding up? Reviews please.

So will I reap the benefits of a steamer if my hair is low porosity? I'm not sure of my porosity level, but I see that mentioned upthread.

I really don't even use my steam much anymore. For a few reasons, the main one being I just don't have the time I used to have to do hair things. Plus I need the most help with the nape area and my steamer doesn't hit that part well. I have to sit awkwardly to get some steam back there.

Convince me im not stupid for buying a 120$ hair tool. I want to step my conditioning game up. I never seem get the soft moist hair even after the conditioner washes out no matter what unless it's filled with silicones and leaves my hair coated feeling. I have switched deep conditioners to many times because of this. I have tried under the dryer, all night long deep conditions and while my hair is conditioned after washing, it does not have that ummph I see ladies with steamers getting from their sessions.

Can those with steamers please tell me the difference you saw in your hair after steaming and if you are happy with it and thought it was worth it?

I hv had a steamer for several years and I love it! I find that my hair is more moisturized with the it than with my dryer or my hair therapy wrap. That extra moisture boost really helps my hair out.
I would totally buy another if I needed to.
I got mine from lcl beauty for like 180 I think, but that was years ago

It may be worth it but whatever you do, don't buy the Huetiful one...mine leaked and burned my neck quiet a few times :nono:.

Back