How You Straighten your New Growth/Natural Hair???

If so, how often?

• Total voters

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
What ways do you straighten your new growth (relaxers) or natural hair (naturals)???

Take a vote and indicate what you use...

I airdry using the ponytail method, wrap, and rollerset. Once I master it, I plan to add the bantu knot set, too.
smile.gif

I'm relaxed but just use a brush, a little gel or something thick and some water. That does the trick. Also, tying a scarf around the edges for extra sleekness.

i'm not a big fan of gel, i never use it.

when my hair is extra thick (something i'm noticing as i keep stretching my relaxer) .. is once i hit 7 weeks, i have to blow dry to get it straight... rollersets leave my ends sleek, but not my new growth. i can brush my new growth and it will lay down.. but you can still see the wave patterns.

Re: How You Straighten your New Growth/Natural Hai

1) Press it (then use the curling iron on the relaxed part)
2) Roller set it. This has sucessfully straightened the new
growth a few times.
3) Add mango butter + gel to wet hair. Airdry with the
ponytail method over night. In the morning, I rollerset
the the lenght of the hair. (This is what I'm doing now.
I'll let you know how it goes.)

I haven't really used heat on myhair since going natural. Brushing with a little bit of gel or mango butter usually does the trick.

I'm natural and most of the time I airdry with a ponytail to straighten.I also use rollersets and coconut oil to straighten. Occassionally I will use a blow dryer or hot comb.

natural here and i dont straighten my hair..so i voted for the last one.

I use gel or CDHHB and my boar's bristle brush or a small tooth comb.

Last night I tried to wrap my hair but being 7 weeks post relaxer my hair was not having it. So I remembered I used WGO to make my hair soft in the past and decided to apply some to my new growth with a lil NTM serum, well, what a combo! I used the blow dryer to blow the new growth only and my hair got so very straight. It feels silky, soft and looks straight like I don't need a touch-up next tuesday. I have not used or even thought about the WGO in minute.
My hair came out fabously straight silky and smooth this morning when I took it down after wrapping and tying it up last night.

ITA, Wildgrowth is the bomb! I apply it while wet and do the following:

1.Airdry
2.Blowdry w/brush
3.Hot curl - I use the hot curlers to "press" the new growth if needed. But since using the Wildgrowth, I don't have to use the curlers to straighten the new growth.

[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
I don't. However, if I ever choose to, I'd probably use a roller set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

Right now I'm trying to get into the habit of roller setting my hair and basically weaning myself from heat.

If I go to the shop, I get it blowdried and flatironed but it still has a little wave to it. When I straighten it at home, I dont wear it down but in a ponytail or a bun so I just wet my new growth and put a scarf on it for a bit and it stays straight.

I selected airdrying (after applying coconut oil to the newgrowth).
The ponytail /airdrying method helps to "straighten" the new growth.

relaxed...i used to be able to wrap my hair when it's wet, tie it down and then the new growth would be very straight, since my new growth has been thickening up and becoming more curly as opposed to kinky that doesnt work anymore so i airdry using the ponytail method.....in the past I used the straightening balm by VS and it worked great for smoothing out new growth....other than that, if i feel my hair MUST be straight, ill curl it or flat iron it after its done airdrying in a ponytail

I don't straighten either, but I have done one roller set during my natural lifetime.
wink.gif

I never straighten my hair completely, but I can get my hair very wavy/straightish from either the pony tail method (air drying) or just putting my hair in two twists and let it air dry.
I am natural.

<font color="purple">I'm relaxed. Basically, what I do for my new growth is to airdry my hair using the ponytail method. After washing, I apply a mixture of castor oil and evoo to my new growth. Then I take my boar bristle brush and gently smooth the roots only. Finally, pull into ponytail and tie it up with my durag for a few minutes. I don't use gel. But this method works for me to keep the roots straightened. On occasions I would use the blowdryer to smooth the areas so they can keep up with the previous relaxed ends. </font>

Relaxed 4b and I don't attempt to straighten new growth other than roller setting after each wash. I don't use anything special on the roots, but apply the same leavein throughout and rollerset. My new growth does not get bone straight, but I don't mind (I kinda like the "lift" the new growth gives) so long as its soft and easily combed. No breakage whatsover. I get retouch every 10 to 12 weeks.

I am relaxed and when I am am many weeks post, First I rollerset then I blow out my roots with a round brush

it depends for me.

ill hair dry in jumbo twist with a lil coconut oil

or ill roller set wit lacio lacio and salerm 21 intense leave in
then blow out the roots (or the whole thing) &/or just flat iron.<===equals alot of heat

Last edited:
I don't straighten, but when I want to stretch my hair, I air dry in braids or twists, then I band them to keep them taut til they dry.

I don't use heat and do not straighten. If I did, rollerset would be the method. I am natural and I airdry with aloe vera on my scalp and hair then seal with mango butter. (these are not the only products I use, but when airdrying this is what I do.)

I've successfully stayed away from heat since mid last year. If I want a straight look I'll roller set and then do a saran wrap and it looks just as good. Apart from the DC'ing, since taking Flaxseed oil my new growth has come in very soft and very manageable, which will give me the ability to stretch my relaxer even longer without any damage or breakage.

Back