How old were you when you got your first perm?

About how old were you when you got your first perm?

• Straight out the womb!

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 1-5 years old

Votes: 54 11.0%
  • 5-8 years old

Votes: 82 16.6%
  • 8-12 years old

Votes: 155 31.4%
  • 12-15 years old

Votes: 120 24.3%
  • 15-20 years old

Votes: 59 12.0%
  • Over 20 years old

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Never had a perm

Votes: 6 1.2%

• Total voters
14. A few days before I started high school.

I get so mad at Moms who perm their daughters hair when they are just a little itty bitty thing. Some of y'all put age 1-5. :nono: Reputable stylists won't even do it that young. I think you should at least wait til middle school.
That really saddens me too. I couldn't stand getting my hair relaxed as an adult, so I can just imagine how unbearable it would be a fidgety 3-4 year-old. What a shame.

I was in 3rd or 4th grade. My mother rubbed it right on my scalp too!!! The next week, my mother went back to pressing our hair. I am surprised that I had hair after that.

I was about 12 when I got my first relaxer. I had a Jheri curl when I was 10. I had one before that when I was around 7 or 8. A lot of hair broke off when I had the first Jheri curl, but I guess my mom wanted to try again. :nono:

I just can't remember. I know I was in middle school, maybe in the 8th grade. I do remember having that drippy jurry curl thing in the 7th grade so that kinda tells you how old I am. I got a pic somewhere but I wouldn't dare show it. It is hilarious.:lachen:

The girls in college gave me a perm. They begged me to let them do it. They cut it in a sharp bang and blunt ends. I looked like a china doll, they said.
I was about 18 or about to turn 18. I didn't know how to care for a perm so a year later I was wearing weaves to fill it in....glue and everything. I'm sooooo glad those days are done.
My mother is from Trinidad so she had no idea what a perm was nor did she know how to give me one. I had no desire to have one because she was a wiz with the hotcomb.
Sometimes I wish I stayed the press and curl girl.

I was 8 i think. and looking back at pics my mother mostly kept my hair in buns and braided pigtails and stuff like that....she barely ever fro-ed it out....when she did put it in a puff once in a while...the pics werent clear enough to see my texture.

Since she never really tried to work with my texture and combed it back just as soon as she was done washing it....seeing my 11 months of NG has even her surpirsed. SHE didn't even know what my correct texture was!

I was 14 and begged my mom for one. should have had a clue when she had to use to box kits on my hair.:lachen: wish I never did it. haven't had a good relaxer in 16 years.

I was 8 I think. I begged my mom to, and she didn't want to, but it was alot easier for her to take care of, and alot less harsh on my hair b.c I always wanted it straight. I was lucky though, my mom always took very good care of my hair, it was when I started caring for it myself(around 14) that things went downhill.

I was 8 going on 9, when it happened for me. I was just entering 4th grade year and I was just trying to fit in you know with the straight and shiny hair and having a boyfriend LOL I practically BEGGED my mom for one, and even my older sister had one too, but she did it behind mom's back, boy was mom livid about it. But another reason was because I was just simply tired of the long sitting sessions to get this thick-assed hair pressed for over 4 hours!!! My hair was well-taken cared of still, but I can't say I honestly miss it, because some of the things I know NOW about natural hair, I didn't know then, and I would have eventually winded up bald either way it goes. My mom did soooo many of the no-nos for natural hair all so wrong.

I was about 12. I begged my mom for one because the kids used to tease me mercilessly. They always made fun of my doodoo braids...:lachen:. The funny thing is it was always the girls with no hair that made fun of my hair. I only have a few memories of my hair. I remember washing my hair and pulling down on a curl just to see how long my hair was. I also remember my mom washing my hair on sundays and dressing me up and not combing out the curls. Everyone always thought that I had nice hair. Now I'm trying to get back to something that I tried so hard to get rid of...ahh..life:ohwell:

I was 9 years old when I got my first perm, but my father was so against it that my mother did it w/o telling him.

I was about 8. I had that type of hair that no matter how straight you press it, by the time we got to our destination it was back to being natural. :grin: Lucky for me my mom knew how to do hair so she put a box perm in. Just long enough to loosen the kinks.

Back