How old were you when...

I have a friend, her cousin relaxed her son before he was 2. I had her show me pics because I could not believe it. She gels his hair into a ponytail with brown gel....

I got a curl at age 4. Wore that for a while, my hair grew and grew, then I stopped getting them, and I guess transitioned with braids for a year or so, then got relaxed afterwards. I started doing my own relaxers in 8th grade.

A relaxer at 14 and no more realxers from 14 to this moment. I've had no other chemical treatments in my life.

7, for my first communion.

But after that first perm, I went for a LOOOONG time (more than a year I believe) before getting a 'retouch' of a relatively frequent basis...and by frequent, I mean months and months in between each relaxer job...it was in 7th grade, I believe, that I started getting it more frequently (still months, but less than before) and high school when I started getting relaxers and highlights like clockwork.

17. I went on my first long trip (NAACP Black College Tour) and I was the only natural one dealing with frizz; humidity... My friends teased me for how long it took me to do my hair.I had one waist length ponytail and was miserable. I came back and begged my mother for a relaxer. She let me get one for my sr. year of high school (6 months later)... and there the story went. :wallbash:

I had never considered it before then. Peer pressure is a muther.

I got a PCJ at 7. It did nothing for my hair so I got a TCB from ten on. I really dont know what my natural texture looks like and am hoping that I can transition to au natural.

My story is kinda crazy, I gotta "kiddie perm" at 6 then my hair broke off and I gotta s-curl at 8 then a carefree curl later on that same year from the age on 9-16 I had my hair pressed and from 16-31 relaxers now im transitioning to natural

Last edited:
I was about 3 or 4 when I got a relaxer still to this day my mom knows nothing about hair care. She relaxed my older sister 3c hair at 5yrs old

At 9 my mom gave me a relaxer, at ten she gave me a jheri curl, then at 11 a relaxer to straighten the jheri curl, and I have had relaxers all the way up until two years ago, when I discovered lhcf and I haven't touched a relaxer since!
This is the first time in my adult life when my hair is as long as the weave I used to buy just a few years ago!!!

I got my first relaxer at 2 YEARS OLD! Then my hair fell off. So I cut it off and my mom relaxed me again at 5 YEARS OLD! Again my hair fell. It was cut and RELAXED AGAIN at 7 YEARS OLD. I NEVER got a break till I was 13yrs old.

I had to o much hair when i was a child. Nobody wanted to style it but my aunt or mother. So i learned like at 7 to comb my hair and style it myself. I cryed my mon to have a relaxer, so i had a texlax when i was 11. I was sooo happy, but my hair was beautiful, if only i knew back then what i know now about hair :(

Wow... some of you, just wow.. How does anyone put relaxer on a 2year old girl's scalp?

I had my first relaxer at 13 years old.

I was 12 when I got my first relaxer. I did it because I wanted "straight hair" like the other girls in my class. If I could take it back........

I was 9-years-old and in the 4th grade when I got my first relaxer. I asked my mother for it and she conceded. My mom was natural but my hair is much thicker and coarser than hers. I don't even remember why I wanted to relax. Maybe I was tired of the flaming tool of torcher, ie, the hot comb and my mother's sub par hair styling skills :lol:. I'll be going natural some time in my 30's.

A jheri curl was my first chemical process and I was the one who decided to get it done at the suggestion of a friend whose hair was longer than mine and she attributed that to the JC she was wearing. I was 17 years old.

Wow @ some of the stories here :(

I'm even more determined to be taking proper care of my daughter's hair and to make sure that she loves her texture.

I will not dictate to a grown woman how she should wear her hair but I'd have a hard time holding my tongue if I hear negativity going on regarding a child's hair :mad:

I was 11 yrs old. My mom took me to the hair salon for the first time, it was around Christmas time she wanted me to get spirals...which could have neen achieved by curling irons...but the stylest said she could only do it if she put a relaxer in my hair. After that my hair was never the same.

I was 8 years old IIRC. I wanted my hair in the mushroom style like my teacher had it, so my grandmother had me relaxed. I pretty much kept my hair cut in that style until high school when I started mixing it up.

Back