• once every 3 months (4x a year)

Votes: 77 10.1%
  • once every 6 months (2x a year) or yearly

Votes: 78 10.2%
  • never

Votes: 85 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

As of just over a year ago since I made the conscious effort.

Thermal heat (curling rods, flat irons, straightening combs) very rarely or sporadic totally < 10x yr (if that much) and I noticed it's saved my ends tremendously!

Since, I can't always totally airdry because my hair is so thick I may spend time under a hood dryer (< 30 mins.) or blow-dry it "damp-to-touch" in select areas (< 2-4 mins.) with various types of diffusers.

However, my first conscious effort is to allow it overnight but that's hardly ever enough to dry it unless I keep it rolled more than 10 hrs. and/or roll it barely wet which kinda defeats the purpose of smoothing it.

its amazing to see how many times a year heat is put on the hair...365 times! omg thats how much a year i used heat, no wonder my hair was broken up!

i now use heat only 4 times a year, which is 361 times less! i might start using heat every 2 months, 6 times aint all that bad either..

eventually i would like to use heat every 2 weeks when i get 2 waistlength and wash every 2 weeks too. or learn how to rollerset!

baglady215 said:
If I rollerset, I flat iron the roots (which I don't look at as too damaging - my ends are what cannot stand the heat). Blowdrying, I have realized, is the ultimate in damage for my hair.

I think this is what I'll have to start doing.... this sounds like the same problems I have.

I use heat once a week... I have to or my hair would be a mess. Heat keeps my hair from tangling too badly. I have just recently cut out all use of my flat iron and blow dry only (trying to do something about the breakage that has become a pain in the arse!). I am still trying out different ways to style my hair because I used to use the flat iron to curl it.

for those that don't use heat and don't have straight/curly hair naturally, how the heck do you style it? i would love to not use heat, but i don't have naturally curly hair.

barbie22 said:
for those that don't use heat and don't have straight/curly hair naturally, how the heck do you style it? i would love to not use heat, but i don't have naturally curly hair.

my hairs constantly in two strand twists and clipped up. i look like a granny, but i really dont care lol!

I use heat once a week, usually, unless Im feeling feisty and want to wear a braid out :lol: When Im on a two week wash stretch I will use heat one week and go protective for the next week.

So I guess usually once a week, but not always.

I don't recall if I've already responded to this thread but I do direct heat once a week. For the summer I am going to try to rock the curly style longer so my goal is going to be direct heat once every two-three weeks.

I get my roots (only) blown out once a week. Its after a rollerset, and just for a few seconds, and to get rid of that annoying dent from the rollers.

I get my hair roller set and blown out every 3 months, in order to take my Progress Pictures. The blow-out shows my hair length off best. But trust me, Im cringing and flinching with shame throughout the entire blow-out process. :lol:

I used to blowdry, hot comb, and hot curl my relaxed hair. Now I only use direct once/month and only on my new growth or bangs. My goal is to only use ONE direct heat appliance. Either I use the blowdryer (on low) w/ my caruso's or airdry on magnetic rollers then flat iron.

I used to use heat at least once a week. However, since I am aon my healthy hair regime, I havent been using heat at all. I am going to use my Carel soft bonnet dryer for my rollerset, but I am trying not to use my CHI's at all...Yall pray for me:ohwell:

Before lurking on LHCF, I used to flat-iron 3x's a week, but have now weaned myself to 2x/month (I think my ends are thanking me already :) ) .

I only use direct heat when I get a touch up and my stylist dries my hair under the hood dryer and then she flat irons it. Otherwise, I rollerset every 5 days and sit under a warm hooded dryer.

I was surprised to see how many people use direct heat on a weekly basis and they still have beautiful hair.

Back in the day ( way back in the day), I used to get up every morning and use that curling iron. That was too much work. Thank goodness styles have gotten more simple and I can wrap and go. OK I have gone way off the track now!!!!

Right now I'm blow drying and flat ironing once/week, but I just bought this really nice pressing comb. Now my goal is to stop blowdrying (just airdry), and use my ceramic pressing comb instead of my $8 flat iron :lol:.

I would like to only press every 2 weeks, but my scalp gets so itchy after a week, so I have to wash it. I also have to flat iron b/c in the cooler, windy weather if I don't straighten my hair it gets seriously knotty. I only get my hair like 70-80% straight, never bone straight.

I used to flat iron once a week after air drying; that was some 4 or 5 years ago. I now only flat iron on rare occasions, and then there are the 4 times a year when I get my hair relaxed. I'd say maybe 10 times in a year in all.

i have to use it at least 2-3 times/week due to my hair being ralaxed and very short, especially along the nape...i'll cherish when this is not necessary...

Ive used heat twice this year and plan on flat ironing it for thanksgiving and christmas. With the cooler weather down here in FL i can try to keep it straight my wrapping for a week but ill probably be anxious to put it back in my bun. LOL

I rollerset and spend one and half hour under a very warm hood dryer at least once a week, sometimes twice a week. With a few years discontinuity, I have been doing this for 14 years (since I was 7, with a few years discontinuity when I was 19) and I never found this being detrimental

I've just flat ironed my hair this weekend for the first time after 1 year and I love the way it came out. I shampooed first with Elucence clarifying shampoo, then I deep conditioned with Silk Elements Moisterizing Treatment and some oils. I sat with it on my head for about 3 hours and then sat under the dryer for about 20 minutes to give it some heat. It then rollerset it. After it dryed, I flat ironed it and then wrapped it for the night. The next morning, it was beautiful. I couldn't believe how much my hair has truly grown since August after I did the big cut. I'm so happy right now.

I won't be doing this too much though, because I don't want to fry my hair, but I will do it on special occassions.

I chose 1x a week, even though that's not altogether accurate. Occasionally I take a break from heat. However, usually I wash, airdry and flat iron my roots. In the summer however I probably be doing mostly wash and go's since I'll be washing more.

Back