Votes: 77 10.1%
  • once every 6 months (2x a year) or yearly

Votes: 78 10.2%
  • never

Votes: 85 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
About twice a week.

I try to limit my flat iron to once a week, but if it †he weather is bad, I will use it.

If I go to Leon's for a wash and set, then I will only use it once a week. But if do both of my washes myself twice.

I use a hooded dryer every week for deep conditioning and for the occasional rollerset. I use a flat iron every couple months whenever I want a straight look. I didn't vote because I didn't find a catagory I fit in. I guess it depends on my mood. :look:

I have my own personal "on heat challenge" going on and I won't be using any until mid 2006 (if I can stay strong!!!) But normally, I use heat just about every two weeks.

Normally I would use heat 3 times a week to press, but the last few weeks I haven't used any; just wash every day, slap oil in it and put it in a pony somewhere on my head and let it air dry!
My birthday is coming up though, I'm sure I'll press it then.

I try not to use direct heat (blow dryer) if I can help it. Up until a few weeks ago I hadn't used my blowdryer in about 3 months but I have some wild new growth so I needed to use it.
lol.gif

As I shampoo and condition at least twice a week or more (I sometimes wash every 2 days), it's not a good idea for me to blow dry often unless the hair would shed very badly and become extra dry.

Now that winter is approaching, I think I might have to blow dry more often because I usually wear the hair wet/damp in protective styles.

In the last 7-8 weeks, I've used direct heat on my hair twice.

Before discovering LHCF I used heat on my hair at least 3 times a week. I'm slowly working my way towards once every 6 weeks.

I blowdry and flatiron every time I wash, which is usually once or twice a week (for over six years now). Because of you LHCF ladies I reluctantly decided in February to turn my blow dryer from the very hot setting to the hot.

Once a week to twice a month.
Because I'm transitioning, my hair looks awful if I don't blow dry it then flat iron it.
So when I wash my hair I can either spend about 3 hours styling it (after airdrying for about another 3 hours) or have my hair look a mess with a dry, frizzy ponytail. I been choosing the frizzy ponytail option more and more lately though.

One every three weeks, sit under hair dryer for cellophanes every 6 weeks, and hand held dryer and ceraimic FHI or Corioliss flatiron with thermal spray. Don't use curling irons, never put heat on anything other than freshly washed hair

Nope, no heat for me. In my pre-LHCF days, I jacked up my hair using a curling iron every day. That's when I washed every week, or every other week :eek: and had no concept of protein vs. moisturizing conditioners. Needless to say, my hair looked a hot mess. Though I'm way more careful about hair care and know more now than I did back then, I'm still veerrrrrry wary about heat. The only exception is occasionally sitting under the dryer for an hour after washing and rollersetting to ensure that my hair is dry by the next morning (but I don't consider that to be direct heat). Flat irons, curling irons - don't even have 'em.

I use a hooded dryer every weekend or once a fornight for deep conditioning purposes only. Maybe once every 3 months I will blow out my hair to check its length.

MeechUK

Just adding I think that product usage and temp of iron have a lot to do with heat damage. When I had a short hair cut in high school, I would wash and condtion every 3 days but I used heat almost daily. But I also used rollers. When I started college I learned about wrapping and cut down washing to once a week but I deep conditioned with CPR and cholesterol mixed together weekly and used my flat iron twice a week.

I did not have any hair troubles until I got highlights.

Usually, every 2 weeks, unless I'm in "wash n go" mode. Lately, I've been blowdrying it every 2 weeks. I think I'm going to try for once a month.

PerfectDoak said:
Once a week to twice a month.
Because I'm transitioning, my hair looks awful if I don't blow dry it then flat iron it.
So when I wash my hair I can either spend about 3 hours styling it (after airdrying for about another 3 hours) or have my hair look a mess with a dry, frizzy ponytail. I been choosing the frizzy ponytail option more and more lately though.

Hey fellow transitioner. Your story sounds oh so familiar. :yep: My hair airdries very krinkly, even the relaxed ends, so the heat makes it easier to manage and less wild.

kitchen_tician said:
Hey fellow transitioner. Your story sounds oh so familiar. :yep: My hair airdries very krinkly, even the relaxed ends, so the heat makes it easier to manage and less wild.

Yeah, I'm starting to realise that a bit of hassle (straightening) once or twice a week is well worth it for how much better it looks and how much time I save trying to make my hair look acceptable without heat.

As far as direct heat...Never!
I haven't used direct heat since November 2004
Now a hooded dryer for deep conditioning...I do this every week or every other week.

I usually flat iron my hair once or twice a year, but this year it will be about four times a year. I don't use direct heat any other time.

Well I used to only use heat after a fresh relaxer, so estimating 4 times a year, however I used twice this month after washing and once last month. I have to cut back now :lol: ...

I have been using heat monthly - basically the hairdresser blowdries the hell out of my hair when I get my cornrow extensions.

In a couple of weeks, I am getting my hair cornrowed without extensions by another lady and I am not having it blow dried. I am going to try to be heat free from now on.

I hope to start an album tracking my progress as I want to see how much difference being heat-free makes.

I voted once a month, which is my average. If I rollerset, I flat iron the roots (which I don't look at as too damaging - my ends are what cannot stand the heat). Blowdrying, I have realized, is the ultimate in damage for my hair. That is when I see pieces of broken hair everywhere. So no more blowdrying for me.

Back before lhcf I would use heat once a week. Now I use heat 1x-2x a month. After mastering air drying, wash-n-go's, braidouts, and bantu knot sets, I rarely need a reason to flat-iron my hair.

once a week. i went on a no-heat regime (mostly out of laziness) and lasted a month. the biggest thing to remember is to never flatiron or curl unfreshly washed hair.

Back