• Once every other week.

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • Once a month.

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Once every 6-8 weeks.

Votes: 32 11.2%
  • Once every 12 weeks.

Votes: 38 13.3%
  • Only for a specific reason/event (e.g., need a cut, going to a wedding, etc.)

Votes: 80 28.1%
  • Never - I am completely self-styled!

Votes: 80 28.1%

• Total voters

Glib Gurl

I have been going to get my hair did since I was a little kid. I believe that I always will be because I just can't imagine giving myself a perm (which is pretty much all I go for nowadays). But I noticed that a few folks here have said goodbye to their stylists and are now completely self-styled. I tip my hats to you ladies.

Anyways, I'm just wondering -- How often do you go to the salon?

Hardly ever! Usually only when I have a major event or I am going on vacation. Other than that, I am trying to master all things my hair on my own.

I voted (or at least tried to- I'm using my phone) every 6 to 8 weeks, because that's how often I usually go, but from now on, I plan on going every 3 or 4 months to get a trim. I am going to start self relaxing or letting my careful cousin give me a touch up.

I usually go to the salon just for relaxers but to tell you the truth i would go every week if i had the cash. I do everything other than relaxers on my own b/c i dont wanna take a chance relaxing my own hair and losing it (ahhhh) :nono:. I dont wanna have someone I know (unliscensed) doing it for me b/c thats only one step above doing it myself lol. Going to A GOOD SALON makes me feel pampered. I LOVE THAT FEELING

I used to go every other week--until my regular salon went up on prices a couple of years ago!

Now, I only go for special occasions--however I wish I could just not go at all, but until I practice a little more, that may not happen.

I attempted to do my own hair for a wedding two weekends ago, and it looked really good IN THE HOUSE after I flat ironed it.

Then I messed around and put those caruso rollers on my texlaxed hair to give it a lil bump and curl.

The steam from the rollers,in addition to the humidity outside turned my hair into a big ole thick poofball with a lil bump and curl!
I was rockin the really big 80's looking hair at that wedding..... :look::ohwell:

Needless to say it was pinned up during the reception....
(Good Hair Day pins in the bottom of my purse to the rescue!)

So aaaaaannyway, until further notice, I'll be going to the salon for special occasions and whatnot...and just leave it to the professionals.

:look:

I only go when i need a sew-in or a trim. I used to go often before I joined lhcf. I've been weaning myself slowly away from the salon.

I go to the salon for touch-ups about every 3 months. In between I go to the Dominicans for rollersets. I do it myself whenever I can't get to the Dom. salon or just don't feel like going. I also do it myself when it gets to be too thick for the Dominicans but I'm not ready for a touch-up yet.:grin:

I only go for touchup and trims. Since I am done with colors, I can do everything else I need for myself and nobody treats my hair with more love than I do.

I was going weekly....but im trying to cut back because of the cost of it...and im not really enjoying how my hair and scalp is doing(im having little sores in my hair...so im not sure if i need a relaxer or not) and the last time my stylist charged me for a partial relaxer for about 60.00 and a regular relaxer is around 70.00 to 75.00 so im still pd off about that...

I'm sorry to admit it but I go once a week or every other week. I love having that pampering for 1-2hrs and it's my treat for the week. If I could master rollersets & other styling then I would probably go less.

I used to go every two weeks, then I was a total do-it-yourself chick, then every 8 weeks... I ended up voting for special occasions. I really don't care if my hair is bone-straight unless I'm going to an event! So got a relaxer for my birthday in June, and now I am in a fix b/c I'm going to a wedding this week-end. It's too soon to relax and the weather has totally jacked it up (I have NEVER been in 109-degree weather in my life and don't wanna EVER be, again!!). I'm gonna try my clear rinse, trusty Mizani, and a fully-dried rollerset :look:. I thought that the longer my hair got the lazier I'd become, but it's so weird. I think I'm more in love with it and like trying new things (i.e. products, styles, etc). So I really don't wanna go to a stylist... Although self-relaxing totally sucks, and that I will only do in a dire emergency!

I attempted to do my own hair for a wedding two weekends ago, and it looked really good IN THE HOUSE after I flat ironed it.

I hate when that happens, which, for me, is almost all the time :sad: As soon as I get outside and the elements get to it, my hair starts acting a fool! :nono:

As you can see I can't go to the salon every week w/ my braids, lol. But when I had my hair out permed I would go to the salon every two weeks. Mostly because I didn't know how to keep my perm looking fresh or "Professional" like you do when you just come out from the salon.

But THANK GOD for lhcf and the sedu flat iron! :pepper:Those are the biggest saviors of my hair life!

I voted "never" but, I see my old stylist once a year. Not for a special event or anything, just to catch up with her since I've been away at school.

I was going every 2-3 weeks. Then came LHCF! Now I go at the end of my 12-week stretch for a texlax touch-up and trim. I am saving around $100 a month (not counting pjism).

Last edited:
Every 8-10 weeks. Sometimes 12. I only go for retouches and trims. I used to be a slave to the stylist. I went nearly every week to get roller sets done and even washes. Not any longer. I'd rather spend that time on other things. I just can't do it any longer :nono:. I'm happy I can maintain my hair myself now.

NEVER!! There was a time, years ago, that I went 2 or 3 times a month! :eek:

Then over the past few years I got that down to 4 or 5 times per year.

Now, I'm a do it yourself-er.:grin:

I only go for touch ups, every 12wks. I don't even let her trim anymore, too scissors happy 4 me.:perplexed

I go once a month. I use to go every 2 weeks until I got a new car and my car note went up. So, I had to cut back. I don't need to go; I've been very capable of doing my hair since my broke college days. But, it's a luxury and a treat for myself.

I go usually every other week...I love the look, although I keep amazing myself at how good i'm getting w/diy! So the month of July I didn't go at all until I had to get my relaxer!

Maybe once or twice a year, if I just want a professional relaxer or a really good trim. Otherwise, I'm a do-it-myselfer.

I go every 8 weeks for a relaxer and trim if I feel it is needed. Otherwise I do my own hair in between. I flat iron in the humid summer months and rollerset the rest of the year. I do go to a Dominican salon if I am really tired for a rollerset and I go to my stylist for flatironing on special occassions

I don't go to the salon mostly b/c it's not in my budget. I have taught myself how to do the things that I want done in a salon like trimming and roller-setting. When I WAS getting relaxers, my mom did them b/c I had been screwed over in the past by stylists and am lucky that I'm not bald today :rolleyes:

This is not to say that I'll NEVER go to a salon again..but it won't be for chemical services EVER. I almost went to a salon to get kinky twists put in, but I think I'm going to have to learn to do those on my own too.

Back