How Often do u comb your hair?

Leslie_C

I rarely comb mine all the way through when its dry but I wonder if Im doing more harm than good bc it seems sooo tangled, almost matted in some places. I have a lot of underprocessed hair that is resistant to relaxer(my stylist already tried a corrective that didnt take on those parts). well those parts get sooo tangled and its weird bc when its wet its sraight at the roots,poofy in the middle, and straight at the ends in a few sections.
shocked.gif

So when I wash my hair and towel blot it, it looks like a mop. I use leave in to help detangle it but its still hard to comb and my hair is so fragile when wet that its very frustrating trying not to pull it out. I start at the ends, but if I dont work my way up s-l-o-w-l-y, then it tangles again and I have to start at the bottom all over. make sense? I just bought a a new detangler to use with my leave ins, hopefully it works...I got Pantene Detangle light spray conditioner. I wonder if I could use it on dry hair too?

I don't really comb my hair that often- maybe every other day when I get it done b/c that's the only time I wear it straight. Other times I comb it is when I'm setting my hair for twists (wet).

i would be lying if i told you i combed my hair less than 3-4 times a day....i comb it at LEAST that may times. i dont know why... even if my hair is bunned up, i take it down to comb it
look.gif
anyway, that's one of my obsessions. i use a wide tooth dipped comb-- i have like 5-6 of them now. i'm very gentle when i comb and detangle throughout the day though so i think this is why i dont get breakage from doing it so often -- jainygirl

what is a dipped comb?

Also, I must admit that although I rarely comb it, lately sometimes I try to do my hair in 3 or 4 styles before I finally put it in a bun and leave the house...lol. And sometimes I take my bun down and put it back up a million times before I get the precise look I want(right position, right amount of hair out in the front or side bang)...hehehe

I comb my hair once a day...but the comb goes through a lot of times.

First, after I drench my hair in conditioner, I comb it through. Then as I rinse out the conditioner, I comb it through. Both of these are SO easy with my conditioner and Jilbere shower comb.

Then I apply Suave Awapuhi as a leave-in which keeps my hair from tangling before I completely get to it. Then I apply my regular leave-in (Biolage), my oil and cream. Then I comb through with my wide-tooth comb. After that, I apply my styling product and comb through with my fine tooth comb.

I lose about 20-50 hairs a day. I've been washing daily. I don't recomb throughout the day or at night before bed. This has been working quite well and I may keep it up!

They are sold by Scunci at CVS, Eckerd's or the bss and they cost like a couple bucks. the ends are dipped so that they dont snag. i know lots of people use bonecombs but dipped combs have always worked just fine for me and are much more inexpensive
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pressncurl said:
With a comb -- once a week; sort of finger comb daily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. 1-2 x a week. Comb only. Or only after my weekly condition wash and then after my weekly shampoo. Finger comb in between.

After every co wash or shampoo when I have applied my leave in and moisturizer. After that, not again until the next co wash or shampoo. Lately, that has been every night, other times, every other night.

Since I wear my hair braided a lot, I only comb after I've washed it, which is once a week. Sometimes every 2 weeks.

I comb my hair just about everyday after my co wash or when I shampoo. After that I don't comb anymore. I only comb when it's wet. The only time I comb when it's dry is after my relaxer.

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
i would be lying if i told you i combed my hair less than 3-4 times a day....i comb it at LEAST that may times. i dont know why... even if my hair is bunned up, i take it down to comb it
look.gif
anyway, that's one of my obsessions. i use a wide tooth dipped comb-- i have like 5-6 of them now. i'm very gentle when i comb and detangle throughout the day though so i think this is why i dont get breakage from doing it so often -- jainygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

OHHH I am just like you - I comb alot. I just can't stand my hair to be tangled. I am trying to comb less, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

I only comb 2x each week when detangling with a wide tooth comb under a shower - while rinsing out my conditioner - and when combing my leave-in through. No more combing until the next wash day. I have no tangling whatsoever and very few hairs are shed. Any other styling is done with my fingers and hands.

when i wear the bun, it's usually once a week after washing. i make sure that i comb really well before putting in the bun so that it's not tangled when i take it down again to wash.

if your hair is truly resistant, why are only portions of it underprocessed? it would seem that all of it would be. to me, it sounds like you might have to check your stylist.

[ QUOTE ]
lillian743 said:
Once a month..
But, now I'm goin to comb it once every two months. I hope thats not too crazy!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not crazy gurl.. I comb my hair once every two months now
lachen70.gif

Adrienne,
yeah u are right, Im checking her as I type
wink.gif
hahaha....

Seriously, I was happy with her because she doesnt cut too much hair and does a good job making it look nice, but Im MAD AT HER RELAXING SKILLS 4 REAL!!!! This past time she left it on too long and burned my scalp. The time before that it was underprocessed. The total of 3 times she has permed me, there has been something wrong. I might as well do it myself for that! This is the same one who tries to bully me into relaxing at 5 and 6 weeks....

I did find a great dominican salon that I think I may give a shot...I talked to them for quite a while one day and they seem on point about haircare. Either that or someone recommended a stylist at JCPENNEY...I really want to find 1 person and stick with them so we know what to expect out of each other and they know my goals...

Ill stick to her for an occasional trim or wash and set!

back when i lived on campus and had a shower i combed everyday when I did conditioner washes. Now that I just have a sink to wash my hair in I keep my hair in twists and take them down about every 3 weeks to wash, condition, comb, and redo.

Back