How much hair do YOU have in the comb....

How much hair is in your comb when you wash your hair?

• Little to no hair at all

Votes: 45 23.6%
  • A fairly small amount

Votes: 70 36.6%
  • A WHOLE BUNCH

Votes: 76 39.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ms_Twana

.....when you finish washing your hair??

Okay, I don't know if this is just normal for my hair, if my hair needs protein, or if my hair needs moisture; but I ALWAYS have a TON of hair in my comb (or the side/bottom of my tub) when I wash my hair (every 1-2 weeks). It has always been that way (natural, relaxed bone straight, and texlaxed). I detangle with conditioner, usually under the shower head, and I use a shower comb. And because my hair is wet, I can't really tell if its shedding hair (bulb on end of strand) or if it's little broken hairs. I do see short strands, but I can't tell if there's a bulb or not.

Right now my hair doesn't feel brittle or dry. It LOOKS dry (meaning there's no shine or sheen). But I just wear a bun everyday with some sort of moisturizer.

So, I'm trying to see if this is normal or if something is REALLY going on with my hair. I don't know how to tell if it's porous or not either, but that's another thread.

Last edited:
I always have a lot...like 1-2 baseballs worth...but it's normal for me. It's just shed hair so I'm not worried about it. I don't detangle in the shower, I do it once I'm done washing (I sit on the couch and watch tv) and then I'll give the hair a cursory glance to be sure it's just shed hair and it usually is.

See, and you've got a BUNCH of hair...just like me. So, I didn't know if maybe it's normal for me because I have a BUNCH of hair anyway.

I think I'm gonna try a garlic treatment and some Surge, too. I'll see if that helps.

I voted for a whole bunch cuz boy oh boy these days my hair is SOOOO tangley and just...a hot mess. I don't know what's going on with it.

It really depends on the season. During the cold season, I barely shed a single hair. Something like 5 to 10 strands of hair at the most. During the warm season, I shed a lot something like a golf ball of hair, sometimes more or less depending on how patient I am with my hair.

Sometimes I would see a couple of broken hair in the tub, that's when I know it is time for a trim (I trim about twice a year). During my pre-relaxer days, I was used to seeing a lot of hair in the comb because my hair is naturally very tangly, so retention was a bit more challenging for me than it is now.

In the summer maybe 5-15 strands here and there, in the cold months like the size of a thimble. My hair doesn't really tangle or shed a whole lot.

It depends on the season and how long it's been since I've combed my hair. I dry comb before washing (I wash on an 'as needed' basis) and then (very gently) comb it while it's wet to work the conditioner thru and to get rid of straggly sheds.

These days I'm losing alot less than I did before or after washing. Perhaps it's the season OR I'm just getting better at my technique.

Before i met Profectiv Anti Breakage Leave in, I had a reasonable amount of hair in the comb. After my first protein DC with Profectiv two weeks ago, i have a negligable amount of hair in my comb, hopefully it will remain that way.

I voted for a whole bunch cuz boy oh boy these days my hair is SOOOO tangley and just...a hot mess. I don't know what's going on with it.

Probably the seasons. I have a tedency to shed more when the seasons are changing over. Don't ask me why, but it SEEMS like that's the case. shrug. :yawn:

no more than 3 or 4 hairs each time i comb when i wear it straight. but i only detangle my hair 1x per week, and 99% of my shed hairs come down in the shower. i don't even want to think about how many come down the drain :nono:

A small amount. I tend to shed the most in the spring.

I think as long as you know what's normal for YOU, you should only be worried if you're losing more hair than normal. I don't have a lot of hair anyway, so I wouldn't expect to have many shed hairs versus someone with super thick hair.

Same with me. I didn't have this problem when I was relaxed. I don't know what to do. It seems to me, I'd have more "reason" for this with chemicals. I see some ladies detangle their whole head and have a dime size amount of hair in the comb and I'm thinking WTH is up with my hair?? :wallbash:

in the early weeks after my touch up, I have minimal hair. But once I get past week 8, I have a golf ball size amount every week (cumulatively). I have very thick hair (a little past APL) and this has really concerned me.

Right now I'm cornrowing under a half wig and combing once a week.

I think I'm gonna try a garlic treatment and some Surge, too. I'll see if that helps.

It's Good that You're Being Pro-Active.:up:

For Me, this time of Year is usually my "Shedding Season" so, to stay on top of it and "manage it" I have:look::

Implemented Hot Oil Treatments into my Weekly Regimen
Will Co-Wash with Nutrine Garlic Conditioner
DC with Alter Ego Hot Garlic Deep Conditioning Treatment

Hopefully, these will help.:grin:

I detangle very thoroughly with the Denman D3 about once a week. I don't think much comes out. However, I don't tend to mess with my hair too much during the week. I notice the difference in how much comes out when I style a lot.

I've noticed that when I wait for a while to wash or detangle myhair I have a lot.... when I constantly wash... I'm fine.... not 2 much... I just did a tea rinse yesterday for the first time since I didn't wash my hair in like a week.... I was surprised that I didn't see as much shedding as I was expecting 2... I'm seeing some breakage tho...I know for a fact I need my ends done ... so hey

Same with me. I didn't have this problem when I was relaxed. I don't know what to do. It seems to me, I'd have more "reason" for this with chemicals. I see some ladies detangle their whole head and have a dime size amount of hair in the comb and I'm thinking WTH is up with my hair?? :wallbash:

You can't compare your amount of shed hair to others. If I did that I'd probably be freaking out too since I can get 1 baseball size clump of hair after just 2 days of not detangling.

There are lots of reasons why it could seem like you have more shed hair now...
1)Coily natural hair takes up more space than straight relaxed hair...so it just *looks* like more hair when in reality it's the same. (A clump of straight hair looks different than a clump of coily hair.)

2)Relaxers could have actually had a harmful effect on your scalp/follicles and now that your scalp/follicles are healthy again, your shed rate has returned to what is normal for you (which could mean more hair, for some people it's less). Which is fine because shed hair is a sign that your follicles are moving through the phases correctly...you can't have growth without shedding first.

3)You notice it more now. One of the reasons is that straight hair has an easier time falling out of your hair (think of how white people tend to have hair on their clothes, back of their chair, etc) so when you did comb you didn't see the accumulation of your shed hair because they came out at other times without you noticing. With coily hair the shed hair gets trapped so it only comes out during combing.

One of the reasons I get a lot of shed hair is due to medication I'm on. But I know what a normal amount is for me when I'm on medication...if I start consistently seeing more than that, then I know I have a problem.

You just have to evaluate your own head and compare it to itself, not to other people.

Very little. I use my Jilbere lightly while in the shower, then I perform manual detangle-lation :look: after my hair is dry. Imagine holding a piece of gum by each end and stretching it, that's basically the method I use to detangle.

I voted small amount because I don't lose a lot like u ladies. I have recently notice that my hair has started to shed a lot more now that I have included more protein and moisturize often. I shed about 75hairs when I comb wet when before its was less than 25. I think I have notice more since I comb my hair more often now.

Perhaps you have issues of high porosity? This is a hair cuticle thing....high porosity means your cuticles are open which allows moisture to escape and helps create tangles. I'm starting to think that some people's natural hair in it's curly state is very porous which causes it to "wrap" around other hairs making tangles and breakage more pervelant. Add to this shed hair that doesn't "escape" and this equals tons of hair in comb. When you straighten, (esp by heat) it seems to smooth the cuticle.

Maybe you should look into Roux Porosity Control whether you choose to remain curly or straight.

I used to have a lot now that I've added regular protein use into my regimen, I have close to none.

I have the same shedding with each wash since that's the only time I comb my hair...and it's not much at all...about the size of a scuppernong grape if I gathered them all together n my hand and put them in a ball.

I faithfully detangle in the shower under water with conditioner in my hair. No exceptions. I know this has cut down on any extra hairs coming out of my head.

cj

Oh man I lost a lot of hair the last time I did it. I kept my hair in twists for a week and then I washed... detangled with my jilbere and then twisted (and detangled again with my denman). I lost a golf ball sized amount :perplexed... I'm SL approaching APL so I don't know what's happening. The next time I straighten my hair will be when I can see if I'm actually making progress and the lost hair is normal, or if I have to do something to my regimen.

Back