How much hair do YOU have in the comb....

How much hair is in your comb when you wash your hair?

• Little to no hair at all

Votes: 45 23.6%
  • A fairly small amount

Votes: 70 36.6%
  • A WHOLE BUNCH

Votes: 76 39.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've seen less since I started using the Impact EGO Garilc Treatment. However, I don't know if that is because of the conditioner or because my I've found my hair tends to grow faster and shed less in the winter. I usually wash onece a week and I really don't get that much.

Depends on

1) If I combed my hair during the week or not

2) how far I am post relaxer- 1 week post, it's hardly anything, as I progress, I shed more

So it depends on the circumstance, but I generally shed a lot...
I also get hair on my clothes and dresser

Apparently it's normal to lose up to 200 strands per diem and it just be shedding. Look for Wanakee's guides here. She has excellent info on shedding.

it depends on the last time i combed my hair, whether it's curly or straight, and the season. i tend to lose more hair when my hair is natural bc i usually dont comb it but every 2-3 days. but it's normal to lose 100-200 hairs per day, i wouldnt worry about it as long as your hair doesn't look like it's thinning

Perhaps you have issues of high porosity? This is a hair cuticle thing....high porosity means your cuticles are open which allows moisture to escape and helps create tangles. I'm starting to think that some people's natural hair in it's curly state is very porous which causes it to "wrap" around other hairs making tangles and breakage more pervelant. Add to this shed hair that doesn't "escape" and this equals tons of hair in comb. When you straighten, (esp by heat) it seems to smooth the cuticle.

Maybe you should look into Roux Porosity Control whether you choose to remain curly or straight.

Thanks! I've seen this product, but had no idea when to use it or how to know if you needed it. :perplexed It's worth a try. I'l try just about anything right now.

I don't pay it attention anymore. All I know is it's natural to shed and it means my hair is growing. I just check my ends for split ends (a lot). If I notice short broken hairs then it's an issue that needs to be addressed swiftly.

I voted a fairly small amount...I do shed a bit more while I'm stretch my relaxer, but not too much more

A lot.... I dont know what it is, but i did a bkt on 8/25/09 and my hair hasnt been right since. Prior to tha i didn't loose much hair at all.

Well...I'm relaxed. And I put a BUNCH...usually. I mean I recently had to unclog my drains. My showers would turn to baths because the water would refuse to drain. And the hair that was retrieved from my drains looked like a rat made of of grime and HAIR!

It's always been like this, yet I normally do not see any change in my hair. My hair never seems thinner or damaged. But, yeah it's normal for me to get about half a tennis ball of hair littered among my bathroom.

However, I have noticed that right after a relaxer I shed nothing...almost. And that my hair sheds less when wet;it feels stonger when wet.

Ok...I've rambled long enough.

I lose a whole bunch, everytime I detangle which is once every 6wks when I take down my braids. I would say it looks like the size of a baseball. I assumed, I would have alot of shedded hair since I don't comb my hair to often but for some reason it still concern me at the amount of hair I see. Msa you make a good point that we shouldn't compare our hair to others however, I can't help but to wonder if I'm doing something wrong when I here ppl say they lost a ball of hair the size of a pea, while I'm losing massive amounts. I've done hardcore protein, moisturize, I'm now trying the tea rinses, so I'll see how it goes in a few weeks when I take my hair down.

I lose a whole bunch, everytime I detangle which is once every 6wks when I take down my braids. I would say it looks like the size of a baseball. I assumed, I would have alot of shedded hair since I don't comb my hair to often but for some reason it still concern me at the amount of hair I see. Msa you make a good point that we shouldn't compare our hair to others however, I can't help but to wonder if I'm doing something wrong when I here ppl say they lost a ball of hair the size of a pea, while I'm losing massive amounts. I've done hardcore protein, moisturize, I'm now trying the tea rinses, so I'll see how it goes in a few weeks when I take my hair down.

You don't comb for six weeks and all you get is a baseball sized amount? I'm jealous of you. That's completely fine...42 days worth of shedding...at 100 hairs per day (average)...you are perfectly ok.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...people who say they don't shed are lying, point blank period. It is impossible to not shed hair. IMPOSSIBLE. And with over a hundred thousand follicles on your head, and 10-15% of those in the resting phase and about to be shed, seeing a lot of hair come out should be expected.

The only time you should start worrying is if you see such an increase in shedding that you're getting bald spots or noticeable thinning. Usually that's due to an illness, a change in medication (starting/stopping), or some other stressor.

When the seasons change,My hair will shed a lot at that time then return to normal under 10 hairs... (My hair tangles easy,when curly)

Happy Hair Growing!

I voted I shed a whole bunch. I only de-tangle once a week at most or longer depending on how busy I am. Since it is a weeks worth or more of shedding I do have a good amount of shed hair. As long as I am not going bald and my hair is not thinning I try not to get worried about it.

No offense to anyone but I don't get how someone can say they only shed 10hairs or 1 a day. Using inductive reasoning I say :perplexed. If your hair is straight, then the shed hair is falling w/o you noticing. If you comb with a widetooth comb everyday then that's not thorough enough to say how many hair are actually shed, some must still me stuck in there.

As with all things I know that there is a variance, but 0 or 10 hairs a day is scientifically unproven. All living things with hair or skin shed.

ETA: I think it's pointless for anyone to count how many hairs they shed and compare it to others. I take notice of how much I'm shedding and unless my shed hair ball is larger than normal, then I will evaluate what new products I've been using. That's all.

Last edited:
Msa and Kacie thank you for your insight, it has help ease my concerns. I will continue to keep an eye on the amount of hair I shed, it does make me feel a whole lot better to know I'm not the only one who is shedding like this. To be honest, my hair is still thick, I don't have any bald patches and my strands are strong, so I'm good thanks again ladies:bighug:

Last edited:
I voted a whole bunch.. probably because I'm a little peeved after my last detangling session..
Basically whenever I put my hair in a puff.. it's tangle city.. even after I condition and try combing with condition in it it still has knots.. grrrr...
If I leave it in twists then it's ok.. but anything else... I get KNOTS all over!!!

I voted a fairly small amount. Since I've been taking garlic internally, regularly oiling my scalp and doing weekly protein treatments, my shedding has dropped off dramatically. I still lose my share of hair daily, but it's way less than it used to be. On regular days, I'll lose about a quarter sized ball and on wash days, about twice as much.

But I did notice that you have long hair...are you sure that you're really losing a bunch of hair? Or is it longer hairs that have just wrapped around themselves? Sometimes, I'll comb, see a ton of hair in the comb, and start hyperventilating. But once I remove the hair, I'll notice that the longer hairs have just doubled back on themselves, making it seem like more hair.

at first i didnt want to post because its a sore spot for me lol.. but i shed a whole lot too.. i think more than i used to, but still not excessive.. i co wash or sulfate free poo and DC every 3-4 days and get maybe a half a golf ball size

You don't comb for six weeks and all you get is a baseball sized amount? I'm jealous of you. That's completely fine...42 days worth of shedding...at 100 hairs per day (average)...you are perfectly ok.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...people who say they don't shed are lying, point blank period. It is impossible to not shed hair. IMPOSSIBLE. And with over a hundred thousand follicles on your head, and 10-15% of those in the resting phase and about to be shed, seeing a lot of hair come out should be expected.

The only time you should start worrying is if you see such an increase in shedding that you're getting bald spots or noticeable thinning. Usually that's due to an illness, a change in medication (starting/stopping), or some other stressor.

The question was "How much hair do YOU have in the comb...", not, "Do you shed hair?". Obviously, everyone sheds hair. I co-wash every 24 to 48 hours, so I'm sure some of it goes down the drain. However, I notice VERY FEW hairs in my big-ole wide tooth Goody Detangler. And I'm quite certain that I've never shed anywhere near 100 hairs in a day.

Lying about shed hair would be somewhat pathological...and I'm quite stable. (at least that's what they told me at the asylum)

The question was: How much hair do YOU have in the comb when you finish washing your hair?

Now I don't know how the other ladies are combing their hair but I use the Denman D3. I don't comb in the shower or with a whole bunch of product/conditioner in it. I wash/condition/rinse and then comb my hair outside of the shower. I don't lose very much hair at all. I clean my brush once every 2 weeks and there is VERY little hair in the brush. I doubt I get 100 strands in my brush in a 2 week time span. But that's how MY hair is. Everybody's head is different.

The question was "How much hair do YOU have in the comb...", not, "Do you shed hair?". Obviously, everyone sheds hair. I co-wash every 24 to 48 hours, so I'm sure some of it goes down the drain. However, I notice VERY FEW hairs in my big-ole wide tooth Goody Detangler. And I'm quite certain that I've never shed anywhere near 100 hairs in a day.

Lying about shed hair would be somewhat pathological...and I'm quite stable. (at least that's what they told me at the asylum)

Maybe instead of saying it's a lie I should say it's a scientific untruth? I'm glad you recognize that everyone sheds but there are many many people on this board who don't understand that and constantly post that they never shed...which has led to folks believing they're going bald even though theib body is doing something it naturally does. That's why in every post I make about shedding I try to point out that fact. Don't take it personally.

Maybe instead of saying it's a lie I should say it's a scientific untruth? I'm glad you recognize that everyone sheds but there are many many people on this board who don't understand that and constantly post that they never shed...which has led to folks believing they're going bald even though theib body is doing something it naturally does. That's why in every post I make about shedding I try to point out that fact. Don't take it personally.

Umm, okay. Do those people who don't shed look like Cousin It? I'm guessing that's what one would look like after not shedding for a year.:giggle:

I was shedding a whole lot. I mean it was kind of scaring me. I do have thick hair though. I tried Mizani products - especially the H2O Intense Night Treatment and the shedding seems to have greatly lessened.

I also bought a big jar of the alter ego garlic - but icky pooh - I can't stand the smell....

-Lynne

I shed a lot, but I only detangle once a week. Yes, I know its normal to have a lot of hair in the comb after 7 days of not combing, but yes, I still freak out :ohwell:.

I voted a whole bunch. I think I lose too much hair when I wash on Wed and Sat. This stretching thing seems to be the cuplrit along with not really combing until wash day. I just finger comb in between and don't lose any hair to talk about.

I'm so glad I started this thread. I got the idea after watching a you tube video of a girl self texlaxing. Once she was finished with everything, she combed her hair and showed how few hairs she had in the comb, and I FREAKED OUT!!! I was like, "I have WAAAY more than that." So, I started a thread to see how much everyone else has to get an idea of whether or not something needed to be addressed with my hair. Even though I've always had a lot of hair in my comb, I was still concerned because when I was relaxed before, I wasn't taking care of my hair properly. So, still seeing that much hair in my comb concerned me.

I feel A LOT better after this thread though. Next time I wash, I will evaluate my pile of hairs that come out to see if I need to be worried anymore. Thanks ladies for all of your posts. :yep::grin:

I voted a whole bunch.. probably because I'm a little peeved after my last detangling session..
Basically whenever I put my hair in a puff.. it's tangle city.. even after I condition and try combing with condition in it it still has knots.. grrrr...
If I leave it in twists then it's ok.. but anything else... I get KNOTS all over!!!

Yeah. When I was natural, after a while I could not wear my hair "out," meaning in its actual texture and not manipulated.....tangle city.

But I did notice that you have long hair...are you sure that you're really losing a bunch of hair? Or is it longer hairs that have just wrapped around themselves? Sometimes, I'll comb, see a ton of hair in the comb, and start hyperventilating. But once I remove the hair, I'll notice that the longer hairs have just doubled back on themselves, making it seem like more hair.

No, see I didn't think about that. Good point. It's hard for me to tell WHAT the hair is when it's wet. I evaluate the mess out of my dry hair!!!! :lachen:But when it's wet, I can't tell if it's broken, shed, one hair strand or multiple. I guess, I'll just start pulling my "pile" apart when I wash, to see what I'm working with.

Thanks for making me think about that.

Back