How much hair do YOU have in the comb....

How much hair is in your comb when you wash your hair?

• Little to no hair at all

Votes: 45 23.6%
  • A fairly small amount

Votes: 70 36.6%
  • A WHOLE BUNCH

Votes: 76 39.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Normally I have a fair amout that seems like alot to me but my hair is thickening up so I guess I might shed more. Alot came out yesterday because I washed my hair and i got really tangled and it took a while to get it free.

it feels like even when my hair is dried. ill runn my fingers through and thair is a considerable amount. id say 6-8 pieces, and ill run it through about 4 times. and most of it is breakage.. the length of my hair.. i think it might have been from the last relaxer.. sorry to hijack your thread

it feels like even when my hair is dried. ill runn my fingers through and thair is a considerable amount. id say 6-8 pieces, and ill run it through about 4 times. and most of it is breakage.. the length of my hair.. i think it might have been from the last relaxer.. sorry to hijack your thread

I have that problem, too. I'll put my fingers through my hair (to finger detangle) and I get several strands in my hand. :wallbash:

I don't know if its a lot or not, I just know there's shed hair and there's usually some breakage. If it is humingly possible to never have one piece of broken hair while detangling somebody let me know.

Either way it doesn't bother me much, most is shed hair. I don't comb every day, only when I detangle which is when I wash and that's usually once or twice a week, mainly once a week.

i have lots of hair in the hair catcher when i wash. some is shed, some is breakage. the thing is, my head has always lost this amount of hair. ever since i was little i remember my mom combing my hair and throwing out hand fulls of hair. so i dont know if my hair is lacking in something, or if thats just me

When I have a fresh wash and blowout, there is very little shed hair. But closer to the next wash day, I notice more shed hair coming out. I usually comb everyday.

When I do not comb for a week, watch out world... I detach a small furry animal from my comb.

In July this year, I decided to collect all my shed/ broken hair for 12 months... just to see how much I lose in a year. It's only October, and I have enough shed hair in that little ziploc bag to make a small toupe.

I don't know how I still have hair on my head.

I detangle my hair once a week and I get less than a golf ball of hair. I will usually put my shed hair next to a quarter for scale. When I look at the hairs, most of them have a white bulb so I know its shed hair.
Just start paying attention to how much hair comes out so that you know what is normal for you.

When I have a fresh wash and blowout, there is very little shed hair. But closer to the next wash day, I notice more shed hair coming out. I usually comb everyday.

When I do not comb for a week, watch out world... I detach a small furry animal from my comb.

In July this year, I decided to collect all my shed/ broken hair for 12 months... just to see how much I lose in a year. It's only October, and I have enough shed hair in that little ziploc bag to make a small toupe.

I don't know how I still have hair on my head.

:lachen: at a "small toupee". It sounds like the water and manipulation brings your sheds out fully AFTER you wash.

Goes to show, everybody's different.

I always have a lot of hair in my comb. Not because it's falling out, it's just that my hair is really thick and I shed a lot. So no worries here. :)

I lose a lot of hair whenever I put a comb to my head. Then again, I don't put it often.

I haven't seriously tried to curb the breakage and shedding problem I have because I suspect it will be fruitless. Not even the hard core ApHogee treatment was able to tame my breakage. I'm willing to give it an honest try though with garlic oil, more frequent washes, increased moisture and using porosity control measures (acv or roux). If I don't see improvement after a couple of weeks, I won't continue...

However next year, when I get my trim and start straightening, I anticipate less knots, breakage and shedding which will translate into more retention yippee! I remember how good it felt after my first blow dry, my hair was well behaved :yep:

Ms_ Twana,

I suspect that I may not be able to leave my hair out as much anymore. However, after talking to Mwedzi about detangling practices, I might make some adjustments.

Momo, I hear you on the catcher...

I have so much hair in the catcher that the water doesn't drain or at least drains very very slowly. I have to remove the clumps of hair in order to make the water go down!

Heavenly,

That toupe comment had me dying here!

I don't know how to accurately check for shedded hairs vs. breakage but a lot of my hair (by taking a cursary glance) is breakage. Which means I could retain more hair if I manage the breakage better.

Really, for someone who starting caring for their hair in early 2007 and started at midway SL-APL and after 2.5 to 3 years is now at MBL-approaching WL, my hair should be longer IMO. Maybe my hair is a slow grower...

Lynnehermena,

How did you like the H2O? Been dying to try that....

Last edited:
I've said this before and I'll say it again...people who say they don't shed are lying, point blank period. It is impossible to not shed hair. IMPOSSIBLE. And with over a hundred thousand follicles on your head, and 10-15% of those in the resting phase and about to be shed, seeing a lot of hair come out should be expected.

I feel MSA on this one! However, I do have to say that I have a lot less shedding than I used to about two years into this healthy hair care journey. I'm not the best at removing all the shed hairs, but if I were to count I'd say that I loose about 100 on wash day or less. Not too bad. I wash twice a week. I also don't loose a lot the rare times I blow dry with a comb attachment.

BUT I USED TO LOOSE A HUGE BALL OF HAIR EVERY TIME I combed and detangled my hair. I think technique, products, and watching how you care for your hair, and taking your time make a big difference.

Like I was in a hurry last night and did not use my normal leave in (see my thread on leave in recommendations) &&& I did loose a bit more hair. I don't count every strand, but it was a bit more.

EVERYONE SHEDS like MSA said but I think you can lessen the sheds with good techniques and practices.

I'm natural and wash once a week. I lose a good teaspoon of hair each week. I shampoo once and comb as I rinse the shampoo out, then condition and comb as I rinse the conditioner out. I always use a shower stopper to keep that from clogging up my drain but it also helps me keep an eye on how much I lose.

Now I used to lose a TON when I was texlaxed and using Jazma. I also tend to lose a lot less right after I do the Deity treatment. That's once every 4-6 weeks. Right after that my hair is at it's best.

It's all about what your norm is. Also, one deal breaker with a new product for me is after 3 washes whether or not it makes me lose more or less hair on wash day. My technique hasn't changed, so I can really tell how a product affects my overall health and styling. And if I haven't changed products, but I tweak my technique, I can tell how that affects my norm.

How much hair I lose is important. Knowing my norm and using that to judge the changes I make is what really counts.

Ms_ Twana,

I suspect that I may not be able to leave my hair out as much anymore. However, after talking to Mwedzi about detangling practices, I might make some adjustments.

GIRL....I WANT THAT HAIR!!!!! :grin: It's so thick and pretty!!! :yep:

I was shedding a whole lot. I mean it was kind of scaring me. I do have thick hair though. I tried Mizani products - especially the H2O Intense Night Treatment and the shedding seems to have greatly lessened.

I also bought a big jar of the alter ego garlic - but icky pooh - I can't stand the smell....

-Lynne
I love this product (for breakage)....the smell:lick: i really don't use it enough. i still have 75% of the jar i got last christmas.

As for shedding, i get about the size of a large marble using my denman once a week. i used to shed alot more before i started using garlic oil, like one week i had a ball the size of a nectarine and the next week a large marble :spinning:

I love this product (for breakage)....the smell:lick: i really don't use it enough. i still have 75% of the jar i got last christmas.

As for shedding, i get about the size of a large marble using my denman once a week. i used to shed alot more before i started using garlic oil, like one week i had a ball the size of a nectarine and the next week a large marble :spinning:

What is this garlic oil you speak of???

I dont comb my hair while its wet to fragile for that, since im 22 weeks post that wouldnt happen anyways.
But today I just blow dried after a cowash and it was ENOUGH. Not to bad though.......

a lot. i shed like an animal. and i comb/finger comb almost every day. some of them are broken hairs however from my ends. those don't bother me however. my hair has a tendency to split being natural. meh

Back