How much growth do you get in a month?

How much growth do you experience in a month?

• Less than 1/4 an inch

Votes: 43 8.4%
  • 1/4 an inch

Votes: 125 24.4%
  • 1/2 an inch

Votes: 261 51.0%
  • 1 inch

Votes: 62 12.1%
  • 1 1/4 inch

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 1.5 inches

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • more than 1.5 inches

Votes: 14 2.7%

• Total voters
It depends on the season. Warmer months 1/2in. and colder months 1/4in. I average about 5 inches a year.

thank all you ladies for responding! for some reason i thought there were tons of ladies on here getting 1 inch a month. (i was going to ask could u all help a sista out) but now i see my growth rate really is going right along with the average.

Ok ladies, I know you're all gonna send me to the short bus, but I don't know how much an inch is!! I haven't owned a ruler since the 8th grade. I really wish I had a ruler, so I could measure....

Candycane044 said:
Ok ladies, I know we've done this several times, but why not take a poll again. On average how much growth do you ladies get a month? For me personally I used to get an inch but now it's about .5 an inch.

I'm not sure why (except being more gentle with my hair for the last couple of months), but I got 1-1/2" in this last six weeks! So I'll average that to 1"! Now I am believing I will keep every bit of it by protecting my ends the way I am learning to here on LHCF!

I got 1" just this past month (with the help of vits.) other than that I believe I get about 1/4 an inch per month.

MonaRae

W/ MTG, vitamins and h20 I'm starting to get about 1/8 of an inch. I'm going to try an experiment where I don't take vitamins and do all of the extra stuff and see how much growth I get...

In high school. I was told that our thumb could be used to measure an inch from the tip to your first line is one inch. Try it and see. I can't right now.

Doing absolutely nothing my hair grows 1/2 inch per month....when I excersize it grows 1 inch (or more) per month....now ask me why I haven't been on the treadmill since I know this :wallbash: :spank:

Candycane044 said:
Ok ladies, I know we've done this several times, but why not take a poll again. On average how much growth do you ladies get a month? For me personally I used to get an inch but now it's about .5 an inch.

man you ain't lyin. I wanna cry!!!! - When I first started in August and September my hair was GROWING like a weed while stretching. Now, after relaxing it's slow. must have been a growth spurt :cry:

I usually get 1/3 inch per month. I chose .5 because that was the closest to the amount of growth I get.

i think i get just under 1/2 an inch...after a year of growing with only one very very minor trim i had maybe 5 and a half inches more length.

I think I get about 1/4 of an inch..maybe less. I did notice more growth when I was washing 2x/week but then that means I have to relax earlier. So, I'll stick with slow and steady.;)

I get 1/4-1/3 inch per month. I was getting discouraged but now I see that this is a normal growth rate. I feel better, I get tempted to just give up.

when your checking yur NG are you stretching the hair bc mined its tightly coiled so I have to stretch my hair to see the progress. Currently my NG is black and I can tell the texture difference after I pull it. At the moment it looks like .5 in per month butb4 it wasnt that much its bc I have been consistent with taking my vitamins and taking care of my hair. Maybe it will grow more as time passes but I wont measure too often just on the relaxer day.

Shea said:
when your checking yur NG are you stretching the hair...

Yea I always have to stretch it out and i usually measure it against my forefinger because the length from the tip of my forefinger to the first crease is 1 inch. Sometimes i take a hair that shed and measure the new growth part with a ruler...

Using growth aids and vitamins helped me get to ~1/2 in per month

I get about a half inch.

Now that I have been able to manage my hair better and retain my length, I have actually been seeing my hair get longer. :D

I get about 1 inch per month.
But I got 1 1/4 in this last 3 weeks thanks to vitamins, white eggs, doo gro with MN, and wash (2-3X per week)

LovelyStyle said:
You might not believe this, but I don't know. I've never measured. I'm going to start now, though.

Peace

Sometimes I think not measuring is the key because I swear I give myself extra anxiety by measuring so often.

I get about 1cm which is a little less then half an inch per month.
I don't try to speed it up tough because I heard that's the average growth rate and I'am fine with it(most of the time)

1/2 inch:(

Unless I drink gallons of water daily I get 1/2 inch monthly in the summer when I all I drink is water with lemon I sometimes get 3/4 of an inch to 1in.

Ebonygurl00 said:
Ok ladies, I know you're all gonna send me to the short bus, but I don't know how much an inch is!! I haven't owned a ruler since the 8th grade. I really wish I had a ruler, so I could measure....

A good key is to look at the 1st line on your thumb. In most people, the entire area above the line is ABOUT and inch.

Also, why the sad faces for 1/2 inch?! That's a lot of new hair to play with each month. :)

Last edited:
i get less than 1/4 inch. but my hair just grows really slow :ohwell: i'm praying that i reach brastrap length at the end of this year (i'm so close i can taste it!). i know my growth will take off once i reach bsl! :D it's getting to bsl that's taking forever! :/

Last edited:
i also eat really healthy, practice great haircare, and workout, AND think positive thoughts. that's why i'm convinced that my hair just grows slowly...

at least it's healthy and i'm also able to retain all my length :) thank god!

Back