• $150-$200

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • $200 & up

Votes: 24 11.8%
  • Never had them

Votes: 31 15.3%

• Total voters

FIRESTARTER

In chicago it its not uncommon to pay $200 for micro braids. When I lived in Atlanta I heard all different quotes from $80-$150. How much do you pay and where do you live?

Well, I live in NY and we go to Harlem on 125th St. There are a million african shops that braid there and it would cost you about 100 bucks for the style, plus hair, which is like 20 bucks a pack, and you usually need to 2 packs....So that is Around 140, then tip....

I have paid $300 for my micros! I don't at all regret paying it because I didn't see anybody else walking around cleveland with the type of braids that I had. The lady was from Jamaica and know she could lay out some braids. By the way, these braids lasted 6 months!!!!

I have paid $180, but that is less then the lady charges. I make them part my hair in bigger sections but still keep smaller braids. She told me that I get a cheaper price because than equals less braids.

I brought my own hair, too. I miss those braids. :)

when i use to get mine done..which they arent micro small or like invisible micros small i would pay $120...she was the cheapest...because everyone else wanted $150+...but she was ripping me off because she would charge me the same amount for doing my individuals too...i just put up with it for the time being....

*ElleB said:
Well, I live in NY and we go to Harlem on 125th St. There are a million african shops that braid there and it would cost you about 100 bucks for the style, plus hair, which is like 20 bucks a pack, and you usually need to 2 packs....So that is Around 140, then tip....
I was charged the same price in Harlem(125th)...when I got mines done a few yrs ago...I paid exactly $140 + tip

i normally don't have to pay anything... between my younger cousin and younger sister, all i normally have to supply is the hair, some food and an excuse to get out of the house (to do my hair)...

freedom said:
By the way, these braids lasted 6 months!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

How did they last so long?!

I could never make it past 6 weeks because I would have so much new growth and build up. That is one of the reason why I started looking into taking care of may hair - because I did not want to drop $200 every 6 weeks and even more in between to touchup the braids on the edges. They would charge me $20-40 just for that.

Well, when I use to get micros..I would pay around $120 in Oakland To just get medium individuals I think I payed around $65 or $80 here in LA and thats really cheap.

However, now I don't let anyone braid my hair. After I braided my hair in the summer time for the first time ever without prior braiding experience I refuse to put out $80 when I can do them myself for $10 (The cost of the hair.)

But, I am cutting the braids out cause my edges are thin. I think I have traction alopecia from years of relaxers and braids. Soo yea I am keeping everything and anything off of my edges.

The place I go they charge 130-150 for micros and 160-180 for pixies (which is what I got). That was the most I ever paid for braids but it was worth every penny not to deal with the braider who takes many breaks and no knowing if your hair is getting finished in one day. I still got them in because Im too lazy to take them out. Also my hair looked good and my head wasnt hurting like crazy, I could actually sleep on them the same night. If you have the money and can't braid I suggest using African braiding shops. More expensive but the job gets done.

I am scared to get micros for fear that I will pull out half of my hair when I take them out.

Don't want them n e more..but $80 in Harlem :lol: and that was with the hair..and they looked flyyy..pic in my fotki

*ElleB said:

I pay $140 in Harlem too. But, I pay $80 for the style, $20 for the train & $40 for the hair. I haven't had micros in years though.

Where in LA did you go for that price.

TrustMeLove said:
Well, when I use to get micros..I would pay around $120 in Oakland To just get medium individuals I think I payed around $65 or $80 here in LA and thats really cheap.

when i first got micros, i had it done at the small salon i used to go to. bad move. i had to pay over $300 because i had to pay for all the business she would have gotten if she didn't spend 13 hours doing my hair. and that didn't include the hair. that was the first and last for that place. i was naive. i've had them done at least 3 times by some africans and it was about 140 plus human hair. all took about 7 hours and all of them hurt. no tip.

i knew a lady who put them in for $70. and she did it in 3 hours and they didn't hurt. the only number i had for her belongs to someone else now. i paid too much for my hair so it still came to about $120. no tip.

but i will never get micros again. took out my edges and since i didn't know how to take care of my hair back then, it didn't promote growth. since i learned to braid my own hair, i won't need to go back to them. it took me like 12 hours between eating and watching tv but it was worth it.

dcstarr said:
80 bucks...Are u serious... Those are really cute u have it good in NY they would hit heads in DC for that :mad:

Thanks...luv my NY...u can get a deal N E where on N E thing

here in houston they range from about 130 to 180 not including hair which can be 20 to 35.00 a bag and you normally need 2-3 bags. so you can pay upwards of 300.00. I don't mind, b/c it is so convenient and you don't have to be bothered with hair everyday and you can still look cute!:)

Unless you know someone who can hook you up for cheap, plan to spend about $180 to $300 for them in St. Louis, hair not included. The price of the hair varies with the braider.

Last edited:
I do my own braids, mircos and freestyle. I do others as well and I charge between $100-$120 for ten hours of work. I just would not be comfortable charging more that that. Most girls don't want them that small because they don't want to be the ones taking them out. I like straignt parts and blending colors. I don't put knots at the end either, that's so tacky.

My cousin does them but I'm not sure of what she charges. She does my kinky twists. She's been doing her sis micro's for years now and her hair is thick and looks good, no thin edges, etc. I'm considering having her put some in my head but I get so scared of the stories about thin edges but if I use her sister's hair as comparison, I think I'm in good hands. She claims she doesn't braid as tight as the African shops.

For those that haven't experienced thin edges, what do you think helped to keep your edges from thinning?

For those that have experienced damage, what do you think caused it?

Last edited:
When I got them *years* ago I think I paid $200, hair included. You couldn't pay me to get that mess now though. Ripped my hair right out.:ohwell:

They did look gorgeous though. *sigh*

The most I've ever paid was $80 but that's not counting the hair. I do them myself so now I don't have to pay anyone else.

free. my best friend is a hair braider. but she has to fit me in her schedule which i dont mind. she does the ones on her head herself. i can too but im too lazy

Back