How much do you or should you tip your stylist?

SoforReal

I always give her 20% of the total cost of the service given. And I give the shampoo girl $2-$5

Do you ladies give your stylist a set percentage or whatever you feel like? Please be honest!!!

I would also like to know the anwser to this. And what about stylist that overcharge or are very very expensive. I mean, if I pay $100 for a cut (which I know some ladies are paying) I have to tip $20? IDK. I definitely believe in tipping...especially for good work but...I am a college student and not trying to go broke.

I would also like to know the anwser to this. And what about stylist that overcharge or are very very expensive. I mean, if I pay $100 for a cut (which I know some ladies are paying) I have to tip $20? IDK. I definitely believe in tipping...especially for good work but...I am a college student and not trying to go broke.

Okay I take that back..lol. I'm not paying no dang 20% on a $100 service. Maybe then it would depend on how good of a job she did. I'm not trying to go broke either. Let me clarify...I meant 20% on services that cost less than $45.

Sometimes i will give a little more like if she does something extra(without me saying anything:yep:) or she just take her time to massage my scalp(even put a little oil if dry). Well it costs $15 for a wash n set so i would give her 3 or if she does something extra 5. I like that she doesn't pressure you to tip or feel like YOU have to tip her. I would do 20% or the most 30% also depending on the price and the service.

Last edited:
Generally I tip mine $5 regardless to what I get. Thank goodness she shampoos herself or that would be another tip. (I'm cheap.):saythat:

I always tip between $2-$5. (That goes for the pizza delivery guy, as well.) If the stylist did a very good job $5, other than that, it's $2. If the stylists is late or rude they get NADA!

The minimum I pay is 20%. I make it a point to tip extremely well and say "Thank You for Listening" This way they know the best do as I request to get additional $$. Its sad that this is what It takes but I go out of my way to take care of them so they take care of me.

I give my stylist $5 - $10 if she did something extra ordinary, the last time she did my hair it was a rinse out color and style; she got a $5.00 tip. The time before I was too lazy to wash my hair so I went to her no tip. Next week I will get a cut twist updo hair style done and she will definetly get a tip.

The minimum I pay is 20%. I make it a point to tip extremely well and say "Thank You for Listening" This way they know the best do as I request to get additional $$. Its sad that this is what It takes but I go out of my way to take care of them so they take care of me.

This is what I do.

I'll tip my stylist at least 15%, most likely more if he did a good job or did a time consuming style. I guess I feel more comfortable tipping my stylist more generously than my waiter/waitress when out to eat b/c I think what the stylist does is more labor intensive. I dunno. Just my :twocents:

20% and up. Before I never tipped the shampoo girl but I felt guilty so now I tip 2-5. If I get more complicated services I tip more and I tip less for a simple blowout. Although, it's never less than 20%.

Well I'm glad to see I am not the only one who doesn't tip.:nono: I don't understand why I should pay someone extra for doing a good job, that's why you go to them in the first place. I refuse to tip anyone, I pay 25 for my wash & sets and my hair is short, so I think that is more than enough, as far as the shampoo girl goes, they shouldn't even be doing hair without a license so they are lucky their asses don't get reported.:wallbash:

When I first started paying for my own hair right after high school many moons ago, I wasn't even aware that stylist were among the people who receive tips. I thought tips were for lower paying jobs, car wash, pizza delivery, coffee shop waitress, but certainly not stylists or anyone in the salon business. I was just naive. I guess.

Well, anyway I started to notice that doing my hair was not a priority.:ohwell: "I'll get to her when I get to her." It never dawned on me that I needed to tip. Tipping customers got better service (next) and I hadn't figured it out...didn't even know they were tipping. It was only after changing stylist and reading in a magazine about what a good tip should be, that I was able to look back and put the puzzle together.:spinning::spinning:

The sad part was that this was the best stylist I ever had. I only changed stylist because he went else where and didn't leave a forwarding address.:cry:

Haven't been to a stylist in loooong while, but I say generally 15%. I've given 20% if they go above and beyond and pay absolute attn to what I'm saying, but that's only happened twice, back when I would pay $55 for a trim :wallbash: I ain't dropping that kinda money on anyone anymore :nono:

For the ladies who don't tip, do you notice a difference in service from your stylist? I noticed that the ladies who tipped more than me would get "extras" that were typically not included in a blowout.

I also noticed the one time I didn't tip the shampoo girl, on my next visit she was a little rougher on my hair and then she tried to use the cheaper shampoos and conditioners.

Anyone experience this?

Well I'm glad to see I am not the only one who doesn't tip.:nono: I don't understand why I should pay someone extra for doing a good job, that's why you go to them in the first place. I refuse to tip anyone, I pay 25 for my wash & sets and my hair is short, so I think that is more than enough, as far as the shampoo girl goes, they shouldn't even be doing hair without a license so they are lucky their asses don't get reported.:wallbash:

Actually, in most if not all states, this is not illegal as long as she is not handling/applying chemicals.

Help me to understand how a college student not trying to go broke can pay $100 for a haircut, but is too broke to leave a decent or any tip??? $100 is expensive for a hair cut.

No offense intended, and since you asked for honesty OP: some of you are cheap, some are spot on with your tipping, and some of you just don't know any better. :ohwell: And yes, tippers (especially good tippers) do get extras.

I'd better gear up for the onslaught. :knight:

Last edited:
I tip but it usually depends on how much extra I can afford. For instance the less services I get the more I can tip because I didn't have to pay as much. Does that make sense? I think it's important to tip your stylist whatever you can to let them know you appreciate what they're doing for you. When I get my hair done it makes me feel great and relaxed and I appreciate that they did that for me.

I don't mind tipping but I absolutely hate it when the stylist expects a tip!! That's just rude! :perplexed

Help me to understand how a college student not trying to go broke can pay $100 for a haircut, but is too broke to leave a decent or any tip??? $100 is expensive for a hair cut.

No offense intended, and since you asked for honesty OP: some of you are cheap, some are spot on with your tipping, and some of you just don't know any better. :ohwell: And yes, tippers (especially good tippers) do get extras.

I'd better gear up for the onslaught. :knight:

I dont think its fair to call small tippers cheap. Some people can not afford to tip a stylist $10-20 so that should be taken into consideration, which is why the stylist should still treat this person's hair with the same care they would a big tipper. They are both your customers and you should be thankful for business. Remember that if you are rough with this person they will not tell their friends to come see you, and therefore you will miss out on business. Also, tips should be appreciated but not expected. I personally don't go to salons for "extras", so I wouldn't be too mad if I didn't get any. I'm just speaking for myself, here.

Last edited:
I have been going to the same stylist since Dec. 06, she does an amazing job with my hair, no matter what services I get. I always tip her $5. No more no less. A couple of times I tried to tip her she said " oh no Ty don't worry about it." She is the best stylist at her salon, and she is a cool person also.

I dont think its fair to call small tippers cheap. Some people can not afford to to tip a stylist $10-20 so that should be taken into consideration, which is why the stylist should still treat this person's haair with the same care they would a big tipper. They are both your customers and you should be thankful for business. Remember that if you are rough with this person they will not tell their friends to come see you, and therefore you will miss out on business. Also, tips should be appreciated but not expected. I personally don't go to salons for "extras", so I wouldn't be too mad if I didn't get any. I'm just speaking for myself, here.

Actually, I'm not rough with any of my customers, regardless of whether they tip or not. I still provide them the same professional service. But tippers do get preferential treatment when it comes to bookings, for instance. Of course not everyone can afford a $10-$20 tip, and I made no claims as to an appropriate dollar amount. Oftentimes it depends on the service total. But there's no denying that some non- or small tippers are cheap. Cheap people exist in this world, so what's wrong with acknowledging that? What I take issue with is customers who come in for "the works" and don't tip. When you're on commission and the prices are low to begin with, tips really are appreciated by those stylists.

Back