How much do you or should you tip your stylist?

I think it is unprofessional for a stylist to expect a tip. If your services are exceptional, then charge what you are worth. Don't shortchange yourself by leaving it to someone's discretion. If you know you have done a great job and the person paid you what you charged without question then have it within yourself to know that. This is coming from someone who tips regardless but better with higher satisfaction.

My hair is usually $40. And I tip him $10 because he does a great job. I used to tip my last stylist $5. She only charged me $30 but I was never really pleased with my hair when she did it.

I am just the kind of person that no matter what, I will tip....usually 15-20%. I have never had a stylist do such a awful job that they did not deserve a tip. I believe anytime you receive a service....hair, nails, dinning, delivery, etc. you should tip...esp. if the service was good. My hubby says people see me coming :rofl: know she gonna tip! :rofl: I think part of the reason I do it also is to dispel the rumor that AA's don't tip..... :hide:

Well I'm glad to see I am not the only one who doesn't tip.:nono: I don't understand why I should pay someone extra for doing a good job, that's why you go to them in the first place. I refuse to tip anyone, I pay 25 for my wash & sets and my hair is short, so I think that is more than enough, as far as the shampoo girl goes, they shouldn't even be doing hair without a license so they are lucky their asses don't get reported.:wallbash:

That's not true. As long as they're not using chemicals, they are okay. Why do you think theres a braid shop on every corner? Those Africans shops don't need a license to braid hair (at least in MD they don't.) That's why when you go they want you to come with your hair already washed and blowdried. They don't cut and style hair usually for this reason.

Pretty much anybody can shampoo hair. A lot of salons I went to had cosmetology students as shampoo girls. They were there to get their hours and get more hands on training.

I agree with Balisi though. There are some people out there that are just cheap. My father is one. No matter when we go out to eat he tips $5. Whether it's a $30 meal or a $100 meal. I really think he just doesn't know any better. And a lot of people don't. My mom always asks me about it when we go out.

You should leave a tip regardless. It's to my knowledge that you should leave 15-20% for good service. 10% for less than stellar. But you should still leave something. And especially if you're getting a lot of services.

I remember being in the nail shop one day a few years ago and I had gotten my overlay filled in. I was waiting for my girl (they had a black girl in there that did designs and what not) to paint my nails and I had to sit and wait because she was doing this lady with ridiculously long nails. The woman only came once a month but that womans nails took 5 hours to finish. And in that time span she had to turn away a lot of people because she wasn't going to be able to get to them within the next hour or so. I ended up leaving and coming back the next day) And after all that the woman didn't even leave her a tip after all that long and hard work. The woman just paid the Asian people up the front what her nails cost and rolled out. She missed out on other customers because she was accomodating the woman. She said she was going to have the manager tell the woman she couldn't do her nails anymore because it wasn't worth it. Now that's a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:
My grandmother did hair until she retired and there are certain things she taught me about salons and stylist. I tip 15-20% normally, but if you are very rude or nasty you will get 5%.

For a normal service like press and curl (for which she charges $30-35) I will tip her about $7 which is 20%.

For an extended service like a sew in weave (for which she charges $120 or 130) I will tip her $10-15 which is around 15%.

I tip the shampoo girl $3-5 regardless of the service.

If she has REALLY hooked my hair up I have been known to tip like $25-30because she gets me in and out and I can call on a Thurs. for a Sat. appt.

My BF even tips his barber, I think it's a normal thing to do when you are pleased with their service.

Last edited:
If the service is $15 or less, I give her 100% just for her time. If the service is $16 and above I usually give her 25-30 percent. Something special like a weave, I always give her at least $50. On special occassions like Xmas and her birthday I'll give her at least $50, sometimes more.

Actually, I'm not rough with any of my customers, regardless of whether they tip or not. I still provide them the same professional service. But tippers do get preferential treatment when it comes to bookings, for instance. Of course not everyone can afford a $10-$20 tip, and I made no claims as to an appropriate dollar amount. Oftentimes it depends on the service total. But there's no denying that some non- or small tippers are cheap. Cheap people exist in this world, so what's wrong with acknowledging that? What I take issue with is customers who come in for "the works" and don't tip. When you're on commission and the prices are low to begin with, tips really are appreciated by those stylists.

Choosing how to treat a customer based on how much they tip is a BAAAAAAAD habit to get into!! Do you know how much service you could lose by doing that?? You never know WHO someone's friends are! For all you know a small or no-tipping person could have celebrity friends that would tip you 100-200% for your services! MOST salons are advertised through word of mouth, whether you think that mouth is big or small! I generally have not tipped in the past simply because I don't believe in being obligated to tip anyone who does their JOB! However if I feel that someone did a good job I will tip anywhere from $2 to $10 and up depending on the price.

A tip really means "TO IMPROVE SERVICE." Historically tips were given BEFORE services were rendered as a way to insure good service on your visit. Today, people get WAY out of hand when it comes to tips. People think they can do a CRAPPY job and then expect a tip!!! If you handle my hair roughly, if my appointment is at THREE and you don't take me until FOUR, if I ask you for a specific style and you DON'T or CAN'T do it, you ain't gettin no tip from me and I WON'T feel bad!!! AND usually it's the most unprofessional stylist that expects the biggest tip!! I think people would be more likely to get a tip from those "CHEAP" people (i guess that's me) if they actually ASKED the client why they didn't give them a tip, NOT in a rude or entitled way, but just expressing to the client that their #1 goal is to improve their service and NOT to put more money in THEIR pocket.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.:rolleyes:

As long as they don't butcher my hair...18% always.

Now, if the stylist has squeezed me at the last minute in or other favor, I will give at least 20% to let them know I appreciated their accommodation. A little extra tipping goes a long way when it comes to hair and nail services. Even if I walk-in on a busy day, I'm almost guaranteed prompt service. ;)

As long as they don't butcher my hair...18% always.

Now, if the stylist has squeezed me at the last minute in or other favor, I will give at least 20% to let them know I appreciated their accommodation. A little extra tipping goes a long way when it comes to hair and nail services. Even if I walk-in on a busy day, I'm almost guaranteed prompt service. ;)

Thank you. My stylist does not play when it comes to my time. She once shewed out the shampoo lady for taking in anther person when i hwas suppose to go she told her. "she is my priority client" She know I tip damn good so I get no junk.

I find this thread interesting. I am in Texas, and the stylist here charge so much, that it's hard for me to tip. If I got good service, and like my hair $5 has been the most I tipped. I never thought of it as being cheap, just practical. I pay $75 minimum each visit, and that does not include my trim if its time. After reading some of the responses, I will try and do better when I'm very pleased with my visit.

I always tip, but tip better if the person seems genuinely interested in doing a good job, not if it is just all about the money. I wonder would stylists prefer someone who comes in regularly and refers people but does not tip or tip well, or the inconsistent person who tips well when they come in twice a year. By the way I tip more for personalized service. If you have other people in my hair (with whom I did not make an appointment, mind you) they will probably get part of your tip.

Choosing how to treat a customer based on how much they tip is a BAAAAAAAD habit to get into!! Do you know how much service you could lose by doing that?? You never know WHO someone's friends are! For all you know a small or no-tipping person could have celebrity friends that would tip you 100-200% for your services! MOST salons are advertised through word of mouth, whether you think that mouth is big or small! I generally have not tipped in the past simply because I don't believe in being obligated to tip anyone who does their JOB! However if I feel that someone did a good job I will tip anywhere from $2 to $10 and up depending on the price.

A tip really means "TO IMPROVE SERVICE." Historically tips were given BEFORE services were rendered as a way to insure good service on your visit. Today, people get WAY out of hand when it comes to tips. People think they can do a CRAPPY job and then expect a tip!!! If you handle my hair roughly, if my appointment is at THREE and you don't take me until FOUR, if I ask you for a specific style and you DON'T or CAN'T do it, you ain't gettin no tip from me and I WON'T feel bad!!! AND usually it's the most unprofessional stylist that expects the biggest tip!! I think people would be more likely to get a tip from those "CHEAP" people (i guess that's me) if they actually ASKED the client why they didn't give them a tip, NOT in a rude or entitled way, but just expressing to the client that their #1 goal is to improve their service and NOT to put more money in THEIR pocket.

Really? Never knew this

Question: I went to the Salon recently to get a wash and set. The first lady shampooed my hair 3 times, put the deep conditioner on my hair and sat me under the dryer. When I came back to the sink the 2nd lady combed my hair and rinsed out the conditioner. How should I divide the tip? Or how much should I give each of them? I hate when 2 people wash my hair! :nono:

I tip anywhere between 15-40 dollars and up to 50 dollars. It depends on what I am having done but 20 dollars is the average tip that I give to the stylist. My current stylist is good and she's always giving me 'extras' without charging me. For example, she will give me a deep conditioner and trim without any extra charge. When I had a weave in she would not charge me to take the weave down, wash my own hair and deep condition and detangle it (and it was natural, thick and had a good length) and put the weave back in and style it. She'd just charge me the one price--nothing extra at all and she takes her time and cares for my hair. So I always feel obligated to tip her very well. She's a single mom, paying booth rent, with dreams of opening her own salon. I don't mind tipping her at all and she does give me great treatment because I tip her well. She gives me appointments when I want. She sets aside extra time to just do my hair..so she's not working on other clients when she's doing my hair.

Help me to understand how a college student not trying to go broke can pay $100 for a haircut, but is too broke to leave a decent or any tip??? $100 is expensive for a hair cut.

No offense intended, and since you asked for honesty OP: some of you are cheap, some are spot on with your tipping, and some of you just don't know any better. :ohwell: And yes, tippers (especially good tippers) do get extras.

I'd better gear up for the onslaught. :knight:

I agree with the bold. I always tip $10 or more. I only go to my stylists every 12 weeks or more.

oh no, i hand her *** $5 each time ( cause I get the same thing done, wash and flat iron) it depends on my mood. and yall talking bout the "extras' they throwin in that you tippin for, welllll, you basically just paid for the extra services :grin: i stick with the $5 because they have me sittin there for freakin hours. i basically only do it to be nice. otherwise i wont tip at all

I read on msn.com yesterday that 20% is the new 15%, because prices and other factors have increased. Stylist and salon services were included on the guideline list of those to tip @ 20%. For those occassions when there's more than one person serving you in the salon, the author recommended that you tip 20% to the total amount, and split it among those included (making sure with the front desk person that it is divided among the appropriate ppl). I will see if I can find this article again, and post it here.

ETA: Found it :)

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...oney/HeresATip20PercentIsTheNew15Percent.aspx

I see tipping my stylist a little differently...I go to the same two salons all the time. For a wash, set, deep condition, and to get my roots blown, I pay $22. I tip all the time, but I give more when I feel the stylist has done their part to carefully detangle my hair or recommend what my hair needs. The shampoo girl typically gets $3-5 and the main stylist will get $5. That's reasonable to me given the cost of service. In addition, I definitely notice that there are perks to tipping well. For example, two weekends ago I went to get my hair done at about 5:45 and the salon closes at 6. I knew I was gonna tip a little extra because I was going so late. Long story short, I loved how my hair came out so I tipped $10 for the wash lady and $10 to the stylist. The next week, I was treated to the works...I got a free deep condition with a new conditioner that was recommended to me, as well as a massage.

My hair means that much too me that I'll tip well because I know where to go for good services. It really pays off in the end. Also, I have such a good relationship with my stylists that they get Christmas bonuses from me, so I'm sure to take care of them so that I'm taken care of.

I tip anywhere between 15-40 dollars and up to 50 dollars. It depends on what I am having done but 20 dollars is the average tip that I give to the stylist. My current stylist is good and she's always giving me 'extras' without charging me. For example, she will give me a deep conditioner and trim without any extra charge. When I had a weave in she would not charge me to take the weave down, wash my own hair and deep condition and detangle it (and it was natural, thick and had a good length) and put the weave back in and style it. She'd just charge me the one price--nothing extra at all and she takes her time and cares for my hair. So I always feel obligated to tip her very well. She's a single mom, paying booth rent, with dreams of opening her own salon. I don't mind tipping her at all and she does give me great treatment because I tip her well. She gives me appointments when I want. She sets aside extra time to just do my hair..so she's not working on other clients when she's doing my hair.

Wow I bet your stylist loves you!!! :grin:

I read on msn.com yesterday that 20% is the new 15%, because prices and other factors have increased. Stylist and salon services were included on the guideline list of those to tip @ 20%. For those occassions when there's more than one person serving you in the salon, the author recommended that you tip 20% to the total amount, and split it among those included (making sure with the front desk person that it is divided among the appropriate ppl). I will see if I can find this article again, and post it here.

ETA: Found it :)

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...oney/HeresATip20PercentIsTheNew15Percent.aspx

Thanks Artemis! And I thought I was really doing something. I don't know if I can afford all that :nono:

Wow I bet your stylist loves you!!! :grin:

lol Well, we do get along very well. Really, I always talk to her about opening her own shop. Right now she works in a salon that I would say 'is so not her'. Let's put it this way--if she were not in that salon then I would never set foot in there. She used to work with her mother at her mothers salon but they had 'mother/daughter' issues and she quit. I used to go to her when she was at her mothers and that salon was very nice. She then moved to her current salon and most of her clients followed her there. I think she is 'undercharging' actually. She's shortchanging herself. Becaue I like her I always talk to her about business issues and I've told her that many times that she can do better. Some people don't know the value of their skills but I say you should 'charge exactly what you are worth plus 10% lol' and not be ashamed of or apologize for that.

And that's the point, for a job well done. Beauty is one of the industries in which tips are customary, at least in this country. Even the IRS expects that those in such industries receive tips. When a tip is not left and no reason given as to why, the service provider is left to wonder what was wrong with the service. Was it the service, wait time, what? I consistently do my work to the best of my ability NO MATTER WHAT, and yes, 99% of my customers are happy to tip me. So the ones who don't tip stand out.

Question: I went to the Salon recently to get a wash and set. The first lady shampooed my hair 3 times, put the deep conditioner on my hair and sat me under the dryer. When I came back to the sink the 2nd lady combed my hair and rinsed out the conditioner. How should I divide the tip? Or how much should I give each of them? I hate when 2 people wash my hair! :nono:
I would give the tip to the stylist who set and styled my hair. Perhaps she would give a portion of the tip to the stylist who helped her out. If you prefer to divide your tip, give a smaller amount to the one who did the least work.

Thanks Artemis! And I thought I was really doing something. I don't know if I can afford all that :nono:

And if you can't afford it, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't see anything wrong with letting your stylist know that you appreciate her work and would love to tip or tip more, but your funds are kinda low. In lieu of a tip, it would be a nice gesture to bring her a cup of coffee, her favorite candy, a cold drink, or some other small treat every now and then if you can. One of my best customers brings me lunch or dinner, bottled water, snacks, etc., because she knows that I'm often too busy to even THINK about eating anything. Another bought me a disposable camera to keep at my station for those photo opportunities to help me build my portfolio. Yet another surprised me with a smoothie while I was cutting her boyfriend's hair. These niceties will never be forgotten. So it's all about showing your stylist your appreciation. It doesn't have to be about money all the time.

I tip my stylist $5 when I get my relaxer touch up and the Shampoo Girl gets $2. Hell, they charge me about $78.00 for a touch-up, actually, the tip should be included in that price!! :lol:

Most of the time they don't even know how much any one person is giving them anyway, so it really doesn't matter how much you give. Everyone usually slips it into their apron pocket, which is already full of tips... heck, they don't know what you're putting in there!! I'm sure as hell not gonna put a ten in there when they won't even know that it was me who gave it!! :nono:

I was in the nail salon with a co-worker last week and she got a regular pedicure and gave the woman a $6.00 tip. I looked at her like she was crazy... (that's lunch money!!!) :look: :lol:

Last edited:
I've been to the stylist under 10 times in my life, so untill now i NEVER knew you were supposed to tip a stylist

I really really really dont get it

They choose a price to do a job, and you pay them what they want---

A tip in my opinon is something you give when you are very pleased with the job done---like a bonus when you feel like it only, or the actuall worker makes a living off of the tips almost excuslivly ( waiters, baggers)-

--why do stylist always expect tips? They are already doing there job--your sure dont expect anything less than, and getting the pay that they set up themselves.....If they expect more money why dont they just raise thier prices? Isnt your returning as a customer enough?

Im not meaning to sound offensive to any stylists or anyone, im just really trying to understand
To me its just weird, like paying a cab driver for driving extra well, but im never in the salons so i would have no clue ( if i could find some LHCF members in my area i would be their every week though, but untill i see a stylist with healthy hair themselves, and not shaved all off...:nono:)

ETA---i can understand tipping the shampoo girl though
Because its like the stylist is the cashier, and the shampoo girl is the bagger

And if you can't afford it, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't see anything wrong with letting your stylist know that you appreciate her work and would love to tip or tip more, but your funds are kinda low. In lieu of a tip, it would be a nice gesture to bring her a cup of coffee, her favorite candy, a cold drink, or some other small treat every now and then if you can. One of my best customers brings me lunch or dinner, bottled water, snacks, etc., because she knows that I'm often too busy to even THINK about eating anything. Another bought me a disposable camera to keep at my station for those photo opportunities to help me build my portfolio. Yet another surprised me with a smoothie while I was cutting her boyfriend's hair. These niceties will never be forgotten. So it's all about showing your stylist your appreciation. It doesn't have to be about money all the time.

Aaaaaw.
So basically its like the money that they pay is what everyone else pays across the state or area, but you give a tip to show that you appreciate the actual work of the person and their skills
I didnt undersand at first with the just expected extra money ( i wouldnt be with that all of the time), but i would most def. bring my stylist treats and stuff

But, if you have a stylist for say a 2-3 years or longer, i thought that the stylist cut the client breaks, while everyone else payed say $75, you payed $60, because you come every week faithfully or something---because after the stylist already knows that you love their work, why would you keep tipping and tipping (with money), wouldnt they be happy they are having guarenteed money every week and give you a break?

Back