• nickel amount

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • half dollar amount

Votes: 76 14.6%
  • more than a palm full

Votes: 443 84.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shoot, I used 2 handfuls in my detangling videos and nonie was like "why you being stingy with the conditioner?" What in the world would a nickel size do? Condition 3 twists? it's not even that it couldn't do anything, i think it's actually physically impossible to distribute that small of an amount on my hair, so it isn't that my hair would be getting too little conditioner, it would be that 90% of my hair wasn't getting any at all.

I bet a lot of the "expert" comments are simplified for the masses. I've seen in happen in my own field when they'll say an expert said something and knowing that person's work I'll know that they didn't say that or say it like that. Reporter/writers change it so much it sounds like nonsense to real "experts."

I try and try but I feel like my hair is gonna kill me for not using enough on it!! I try to use half of my palm worth, but a nickel...that's just ridiculous. If I used nickel sized amounts I'd look like boo boo the fool or worse...me pre-LHCF!

I used to abide the no more than a quarter size dollop thing but not anymore. These days I use TONS and TONS of conditioner. I haven't had a dry scalp issue since Winter started, and my hair is way softer feeling and happier all the way around.

My hair lets me know with dryness and tangling when I don't use enough con.

Nickel size? I use the amount that the Dominican's have always used in my hair, a nice mixed handful. However, for the leave in, I will use a quarter size amount and run it through.

Yeah, I prepooed last night and I probably used easily 3 oz. of Suave cheapie in addition to olive oil and castor oil. When I rinse my hair out, not that much rinses out.

My hair is real thirsty!

This is exactly what I do as well.

A dime or nickel size ain't nothing.

Wow. I use a LOT of conditioner...I'm talking whole tubes at a time because I like for my deep conditioner to be like a hair mask. My hair is thick and dense.

I mix mine up in a bowl, and I'm liable to use 10 oz. in one bowl. :blush:

cheapie conditioners, i use quite a bit. handfuls upon handfuls.

as for the expensive stuff? no more than 2 or 3 quarter sized amounts. trying to make that stuff last FOREVER!!

Can I stack the nickels? If so, I can use a nickel sized amount! :lachen: My low porosity hair isn't having that. I can get away with maybe a heavily stacked half dollar, but that's it lol.

Last edited:
I part my hair in two, and each half gets a handful. I only use nickel sized amounts of anything to seal my ends.

I was reading in an article from an expert on hair care and it said you should only be using about a nickel sized amount of conditioner after shampooing:ohwell:

How much are you all using?

eta:It said "you don't want to overuse conditioner...when you use an excessive amount of conditioner,you can't wash it all off the hair.It falls to the scalp and creates a dry scalp problem"

This was in a "winter manual"

This is a joke right? An "expert" said this? I use a little less than 2 shot glasses worth. But that's after I've added a good bit of EVOO and JBCO to it. If every stinkin' strand isn't coated I am not happy.

Ditto on everything....I COAT my strands. :lick: A handful is what I need, and my hair is only about 4-4.5 inches long. I can't imagine what I would do with BSL hair.

cj

I co-wash every other day. I use almost a palm full for each side of my head. Then I let it sit under a plastic cap while I shower. My hair loves it!

Ditto on everything....I COAT my strands. :lick: A handful is what I need, and my hair is only about 4-4.5 inches long. I can't imagine what I would do with BSL hair.

cj

omg lemme tell you... I have slightly texlaxed, super thick 3b/3c hair (3c/4a before texlax) that has just barely reached BSL and i am FLYING through these conditioner bottles! I dont seperate my hair but i put it on the top of my head first, then the middle, then my ends and each sections gets about 2 big hand fulls. Like i said in another thread yesterday, a 16oz bottle lasts me no more then 4 days ( or 4 co-washses)

If i put a nickle size amount of conditioner in my hair and then tried detangling that mess, I'd have no hair left!

There is no way I could spread a nickel size of conditioner through my hair. That does work for some types of hair, and I've seen certain types do that on You Tube, but even in "Curly Girl" Lorraine Massey confirms that thick course type hair need lots more product just to distribute it evenly through all of the hair.

omg lemme tell you... I have slightly texlaxed, super thick 3b/3c hair (3c/4a before texlax) that has just barely reached BSL and i am FLYING through these conditioner bottles! I dont seperate my hair but i put it on the top of my head first, then the middle, then my ends and each sections gets about 2 big hand fulls. Like i said in another thread yesterday, a 16oz bottle lasts me no more then 4 days ( or 4 co-washses)

If i put a nickle size amount of conditioner in my hair and then tried detangling that mess, I'd have no hair left!
GIRL ME TOO. Dang a 15oz VO5 bottle lasts me about 4 or 5 washes and I have to mix my DC's with cheapies and a myriad of conditioners so I don't use too much expensive dc..i can go through a suave coconut 33oz conditioner in a couple weeks! It's good they're cheap!

A nickle size amount of conditioner would cover about 5 strands of my hair adequately. Depending on the DC...I use at LEAST a fistfull...my hair is dry and needs all the moisture it can get. I've never had dry/itchy scalp as a result either...

A nickle sized amount? Yeah, I've read that before, but whose hair is that gonna suit? I use about a palm full, and more if needed. I like to coat all of the NG, the edges, and all the way to the ends. There is no way a nickle or quarter is gonna do that.

I use at least half-palms per sections--4 sections on my hair. I put conditioner on the hair from almost root to ends. I have be saturated.

I don't think nickel-size amounts would even do anything for the hair.

It depends. with the good stuff or knock-off good stuff, I used prolly a quarter sized amount too half dollar.

With the cheapie condish, I use it by the handful. . .and on my DD who has course 4b-c hair, I can easily use nearly half a bottle for detangling.

lots and lots lol. i use it to cowash AND as a leave in. probably half a palm full to cowash and another half for the leave in

i dont have american money so i dont know what any of those sizes would be, however i use about a 1/4 of a palm. When my hair was much longer i used up to a 1/2 a palm full.

i cowash everyday , an i have a bottle of conditioner that has lasted me months and months...i still have about half maybe 1/3 in there. i dont even remember when i bought it. but i got two at the time and the other one is still sitting in my closet waiting for use.

Last edited:
Back