• nickel amount

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • half dollar amount

Votes: 76 14.6%
  • more than a palm full

Votes: 443 84.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, first of all it depends on the amount of hair that you have. I use maybe a quarter to a third of a bottle each time I wash my hair.

And my goal is also to not get it all off, that's what I do - I rinse very sloppily to keep some conditioner in my hair. It's cheaper than a leave in conditioner :grin:

My scalp isn't dry.

I think the stylist was talking about the average caucasian hair that isn't long... :yep:

I was reading in an article from an expert on hair care and it said you should only be using about a nickel sized amount of conditioner after shampooing:ohwell:

How much are you all using?

eta:It said "you don't want to overuse conditioner...when you use an excessive amount of conditioner,you can't wash it all off the hair.It falls to the scalp and creates a dry scalp problem"

This was in a "winter manual"

Most definitely not for a 4a-4b hair type. Did the article state the hair type or was this just a general statement (probably so)?

I use about a half dollar amount if I am just doing a regular wash and condition. If I am deep conditioning my hair, I tend to use 2-3 times as much. I find that in the shower when my hair is soaking wet, I don't need a lot of conditioner because it easily goes through my hair. When I deep condition, I sop up the water first, and I need to work in a lot more conditioner before it feels like every section is covered.

ETA: my hair is vey fine.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put too much stock in that article. As others have already mentioned, there are way too many variables to consider: length of hair, thickness of hair, hair texture, etc. To just unilaterally declare that only a nickel sized amount of conditioner should be used for everyone is just stuuuuuuupid.

As for me, I part my hair into four quadrants and then use about a silver dollar sized amount of conditioner on each quadrant.

Yeah, I prepooed last night and I probably used easily 3 oz. of Suave cheapie in addition to olive oil and castor oil. When I rinse my hair out, not that much rinses out.

My hair is real thirsty!

Whew I am soooo glad I came upon this thread... thought I was the only one getting heavy handed with the conditioner. :grouphug3:

on a side note this thread has me :lachen:

Some conditioners are thicker/thinner than others.... I find I use less of the thicker stuff...

My recent go-to for Cowashing is BioInfusion Rosemary Mint COnditioner and its so watery that I use quite a bit to be able to saturate all of my hair.. much more than a palmful I like how it feels though so I will use it a lot until I get hooked on soemthing else....

When I use something thicker like Biolage, I use significantly less, maybe a half-dollar size

I was reading in an article from an expert on hair care and it said you should only be using about a nickel sized amount of conditioner after shampooing:ohwell:

eta:It said "you don't want to overuse conditioner...when you use an excessive amount of conditioner,you can't wash it all off the hair.It falls to the scalp and creates a dry scalp problem"

Was this person referring to "non-black" hair? :drunk: People like me who have naturally curly hair need moisture, moisture, moisture. In "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey, she states:

[The] tighter or dryer the curl, the more conditioner you need...you'll have to experiment with what amount of conditioner is best for your hair. If you apply too much conditioner, the worst that can happen is your hair will look overcoated and dull that day. Not a bad trade-off, considering you're making your hair healthier and shinier in the long run.

I have never heard of conditioner "falling" to the scalp (what is it, a bungee jumper?) and creating dryness...:perplexed That is why I still stick with my handful; it's working for me.

I don't think that article was directed at Black women. It seems like it would make more sense for Type 1 hair that retains moisture well and gets washed everyday or every other day.

I use A LOT of conditioner, probably two handfuls.

A nickel sized amount will only condition my eyebrows this man must have to strands of hair for that to work
my hair would laugh at me if i ever tried to use a nickel size amount:perplexed

A nickel sized amount will only condition my eyebrows this man must have to strands of hair for that to work
my hair would laugh at me if i ever tried to use a nickel size amount:perplexed
:lachen:..but YES ya'll this advice came from a black hair stylist for black women posted his pic somewhere in here.

A palm full or more than a palm full... I think this has been one of the main contributors to my healthy hair growth. Anything less wouldn't work for my hair:nono:

HAAAA!!! :lachen:

There is no way a nickel size would work on this head.

I would have no hair. This is why I don't go to beauty shops. They don't do REAL conditioning, imo.....

I use one bottle of the cheap stuff per week on my daughters hair. That is just enough to coat the hair and allow me to shower detangle. Jeve

I section my hair in 6 sections and put a palm-full on each section. It's the only way I am able to detangle my hair. If I used on a quarter size amount on each section, my hair would be in some serious trouble.

I don't know, but I can only get 3 conditions out of the 5.1 oz tubes of Activate Hair Repair. After 3, there may be a bit left in that I can get out if I cut the tube, but that's it.

A nickel size amount is not enough to do anything for my naps. I can't detangle with that little bit. My naps just nap up even more and then they mock me for the rest of the day. :lachen:

Apparently, too much. I've been battling buildup. :ohwell: I'm gonna cut back when I get my buildup problem under control and see if a smaller amount is effective.

I almost used the whole bottle of this stuff I got from the dollar tree. I have VERY thick hair and it was smelling too good. I wish I would try to comb through this mop with a nickel-sized amount.

I never really understood the concept of a dime size of this or a nickle size of that ... I understand less is more ... but dang ... I would be bald ... that goes along with moisturizers too ... I may use that amount in sections but not for my whole head - it's just no way

Back