How many times do you wash and DC your hair in a month?

I wash once a week.

I DC once a week.

I clarify as needed (mostly in the summer, though, because that's when I use the most silicones).

I prepoo once a week.

and why?...

I wash:
Once a week with Shea Moisture Sheabutter line shampoo.

I DC:
With every wash using AO HSR or AO GBP glycogen protein conditioner. They're diluted with oil to help them spread easier.

I clarify every____with:
Before every henna treatment with Giovanni 50:50 hydrating-clarifying shampoo. It's sulfate free so if this really clarifies I'm not really sure.

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc:
I do a henna treatment as it acts as my protein treatment, helps fill in my cuticles and I like the color. I prepoo with olive oil and baggy it overnight. I also Cowash with Tresseme naturals when I bun because my hair gets dried out faster doing that style for some reason.

And I do all this things because I like a clean scalp and my hair always need moisture and I'm not sensitive to protein I don't think.

and why?...

I wash:

...once a week now(4 times a month). Usually right before the weekend

I DC:

twice a month

I clarify every_____with:

I clarify once a month with pantene clarifying shampoo.

I occasionally apply oil to my hair before I wash. Usually just to detangle. I aslo occasionally co wash.

I do it this way because it seems to be working well for my hair.

I wash:

1-2x a week

I DC:

Every wash

I clarify chelate every wash with ORS creamy aloe shampoo. Its very gentle, gets my hair clean and keeps hard water buildup off my hair.

I pre-poo every wash with hemp oil, rice bran oil and/or EVOO or a mixture of these oils.

I henna every 4-6 weeks.

I use a mild/medium protein conditioner for a few minutes every wash prior to my moisture DC

I use Roux PC every wash after shampoo before conditioning.

Why?

-My scalp likes to be cleaned frequently and my scalp doesn't like co-washing; so I shampoo and DC often :yep:

-I pre-poo with ceramide oils to help with detangling and its a conveinent way to get a dose of ceramides.

-Henna acts as my hard protein treatment, it also keeps my porosity low and gives great shine.

-A mild protein condish followed by moisture DC makes it much easier to keep M/P balance.

-My hair is naturally porous so Roux PC helps keep it low. I use it after shampoo because when I use it as the last step it makes my hair feel hard.

Last edited:
All I do co-wash AND DC 4 times a month and clarify every 5 weeks or so...

This!:grin:

Lately, I've been using Cleansing Conditioners which give me the Beauty of Cleansing and the Moisture of Conditioning.

But this is exactly what I do as well (Bolded) I've been using a Chelating 'Poo since I made the switch to No-Lye Relaxers

Oh Yeah, I use PC as a final conditioning rinse after every DC Session

Thinking about upping it to 8 times a month in the Summer tho'.:ohwell:

I wash: I wash every 7 to 14 days.

I DC: I don't DC

I clarify every_____with: I don't clarify

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc: Cowash (shampoo scalp only).

WHY: I like simplicity because I don't like to spend a lot of time on my hair and simple works better for my fine hair.

I wash: every 3 weeks or once a month

I DC: every 3 weeks or once a month

I clarify every_____with: I don't clarify

I do other things such as: use a protein reconstructor every once in a blue moon

WHY: im lazy for the most part :lol: but for my hair less is more obviously because my hair is still growing.

I wash: I wash 4-8x a month. I wash once a wk with poo and conditioner. I also CW once a week. However sometimes I get heavy handed with the oils while sealing; therefore my CW turns into a regular poo and condition wash

I DC: I DC once a week. Friday is my hair day. I apply condition, shower, then poo before getting out. Once out I apply my DC and allow it to sit all day with a shower cap on.

I clarify every_____with: I clarify once a month. I sometimes forget.

As stated above. I CW 4x a month unless my hair is oily then I have to poo and condition.

I wash: every 2 weeks in a weave, every week without one

I DC: with every wash

I clarify every NEVER

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc: i prepoo 1 or 2xs a month

I wash: once a week (co-wash twice a week)

I DC:
once a month

blue moon with ACV

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc: protein treatments once a month

I wash: 4 x per month

I DC: 4 x per month

I clarify every_once a month or when my hair feels heavy.

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc: I prepoo with coconut oil

I wash: 1-2x per month

I DC: 1-2x per month (after shampooing)

I clarify every_____with: I do not clarify.

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc: Nothing additional except moisturizing bc my hair likes to be left alone. (I learned this the hard way.)

Last edited:
I wash: I try to wash two to three times a week. These days I'm averaging two washes a week, which is ok. My scalp needs it.

I DC: I deep condition every time I wash because I don't want my hair to dry out and I like doing it. It's fun :yep:

I clarify every_____with: I clarify every so often with Bentonite clay. Sometimes I use ACV when I have it. I don't have a set schedule for clarifying since I shampoo so often. When I do my Ayurvedic treatments I mix bentonite with my herbs, but I don't consider it a clarifying treatment. It may be cleansing, but when I use bentonite clay by itself just mixed with liquid I consider it a clarifier :look:

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc:[/QUOTE] I actually don't cowash because my scalp hates it. Maybe it was the conditioner I was using but I haven't found one that I like to cowash with. I can really do without it though since I condition so often.

I like to prepoo with coconut oil. I like to do Ayurvedic treatments and clay masks. Makes me feel fancy, like I'm at a spa :meditate:

I wash: 1x week with shampoo, daily cowash. I have a little twa so I wash-n-go

I DC: When I shampoo, usually. I've been slacking...

I clarify every_____with: nothing. I don't clarify. Carifying shampoos are too harsh for my hair.

cowash daily, moisturize nightly with shea butter and seal with olive oil. Prepoo, oil rinse.

I wash: 2-3 times a month

I DC: with every wash

I clarify every_____with: I clarify when I feel my hair needs it, so maybe twice a year.

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc: The night before I wash, I put oil in my hair.

wash about every 3-4 days (give or take), so in a month that's around 10x a month.

DC: 1x every 2 weeks I leave it on for a while or I pre-poo w/oil, or DC w/steam

*the rest of the time I use DC that only requires 5 mins or less

I do the Joico 17 minute treatment once 1x every 2 weeks approx. too, so that's my clarifying poo.

*I use Henna/cassia every 4-6 weeks

Last edited:
and why?
I'm still transitioning so I cowash everyday and DC only when I'm going to straighten my hair.

I wash: I use shampoo with no sulfates about once a week and with sulfates once a month when I straighten my hair

I DC: Same as above

I clarify every_2 months____with: ACV

I prepoo with honey, castor oil, and a little suave contioner before I shampoo with sulfate shampoo only.

I wash: 3x a month due to buildup on scalp

I DC: 3x a month

I clarify every_____with: N/A since I've been natural

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc: 1x a week

I wash: Once a week. this is as long as I feel I can stretch my wash before I am indanger of flakes..right now I'm rotating VO5 strawberry trengthing and Cream of Nature detangling

I dc: I use a a deep conditioner as my leave in after my wash - phytokarite

I clarify- I dont.

I detangle before I wash using an oil first (coconut) and then my paul mitchell lite detangler.. I guess thata a kinda pre poo.

I wash 1x per week (scalp gets flaky close to wash time) with liquid natural black soap to clarify (clean with very few tangles) and do a DEEP condition over night cause my hair needs that extra moisture due to my flat ironing 1x per week.

I wash: 2x a week

I Steam: 2x a week (after each shampoo)

I clarify every_____with: N/A

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc: I prepoo 2x a week (before each shampoo)

I wash: with shampoo every 10 to 12 days

I DC: on wash days only

I clarify every_____with: every 6 to 8 weeks with ORS creamy aloe shampoo

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc: I prepoo on wash days. I usually do an oil rinse or two in b/w wash days, especially if my hair is feeling dry or tangled.

I wash: Once a week.

I DC: Once a week, right after I wash.

I clarify every_____with: With ION Clarifying Shampoo at least once a month.

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc: I don't do any of this anymore. I think it's doing too much for my hair. My hair does ok with the above.

I wash: Once every 3-4 weeks with Aussie Moist Poo b/c my hair doesn't care for shampoo. I wash immediately after swimming regardless of when the last time I washed was.

I DC: 1-2x a week with Joico Moisture Recovery Balm b/c my curls love conditioner and it keeps them moisturized, defined and POPPIN!

I clarify every_____with: Every few months max with Elucence Moisture Acidifying Poo b/c, again, poo strips my hair and I don't need it very often.

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc: I cowash daily with Aussie Moist 3-minute Miracle. I use Aussie Moist & Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie as a leave-in.

I wash: with shampoo every 2 weeks

I DC: on every wash day and alternate between Pantene, Tresemme and VO5 Clarifying Conditioners. My hair loves it!:grin:

I clarify: every wash day with VO5 but I'm thinking of going back to Kenra

I do other things such as cowashing, prepoo etc: I use ACV + rosemary, peppermint and lavender oils as a post-poo.

Why?
DC-ing on the regular is imperative for me to retain length but my hair is especially prone to buildup. Since most hair products are alkaline based I need to use an ACV rinse to maintain my pH balance otherwise the shampoos and conditioners I use won't work and my hair becomes lifeless. The oils are added in to help stimulate growth, control flakes and other healing reasons.

Back