Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 34 42.0%

Votes: 33 40.7%

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • 4 or more

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

chayil0427

I was in the shower just now and I noticed that I lathered three times before I really felt like my hair was clean. (I had a lot of KC essentical oils in my hair) I was wondering how many times you ladies lather.

Chayil

I lather twice unless I'm shampooing after relaxing. In that case I will lather at least twice with the neutralizing shampoo and then once more with a moisturizing one.

It depends. Most times I can get away with just one lather. If it's after a relaxer, I usually do 3 lathers and let the relaxer sit for 5 minutes on each of the first 2 lathers. If i have somehing like amla powder in my hair, it might take 2+ to lift all the grit off my scalp. If I'm doing a hot oil pre-treatment, I find that if I add the shampoo to my hair before I rinse out the oil, I only have to shampoo once. Whatever emulsifiers are in the shampoo, help remove the excess oil -since oil and water don't mix without help.

Oh geesh. I lather so many times. :perplexed: 2x with a clarifier if I'm clarifying and then 1x with a moisturizing poo. When I'm not clarifying, about 1-2x.

ETA: Mystic your hair is beauuutiful!

secretdiamond said:
Oh geesh. I lather so many times. :perplexed: 2x with a clarifier if I'm clarifying and then 1x with a moisturizing poo. When I'm not clarifying, about 1-2x.

ETA: Mystic your hair is beauuutiful!

Thanks SD:D :D

a normal shampoo I try to keep to only once (unless I have buildup or lots of product, then 2x's). after a relaxer? many, many, many times (really .. I'm so paranoid about getting all the relaxer out that I sometimes lose count) :lol:

I voted once. I part my hair in 4 sections and lather each section once. I do this because I use a clarifying shampoo and once is all I need to clean my hair and scalp.

By the way, I am new here and this is my first post. I was a lurker for over a year and I have learned so much. I am natural and my only hair goal is to be able to put my hair in a low bun.

Last edited:
Two times. I use the Crown & Glory shampoo method (shampoo hair while in braids, using diluted shampoo), so I feel like I need the extra lathering to really get it clean. Plus, I use a lot of oils during the week, and I want to make sure to wash them all out.

Once -during a reg. shampoo (yes I pre-poo also)

Twice-while clarifying, both times with the clarifying poo

Four Times-after relaxing (neutralize 2 times, clarify once, and poo with moisture shampoo once)

I voted three but it depends how dirty my hair feels. I guess at least 3. Once to break down any oils, etc. Doesnt usually lather though. Hopefully, it lathers next time. Once to actually clean hair and scalp and last time to be sure its clean

It really depends on my hair. If it's filled w/ oils and doesn't feel clean after one lather then I'll repeat. Usually my hair is squeaky clean after one lather-up though.

secretdiamond said:

That's exactly what I do.

I voted 1, but it depends. If I'm clarifying, I'll do 2 just to make sure everything is gone. But regularly, I'll only lather once.

BrownSkin2 said:
I lather once working up a really good lather, let it sit for a few minutes and rinse.

I do this as well. It works really well. Especially with my beloved Redken Cleansing Cream (I let that sit for at least 5-10 minutes). :D

Once is enough for me 90% of the time...when I clarify about every other month I lather twice...of course a lot more when I relax.

I noticed yesterday that I do something peculiar when I shampoo. I don't know why I do this, but I think I have always done this. I add some shampoo and try to lather it up, and if it doesn't lather up rich (which it usually doesn't), I wet my hair some more and add some more shampoo. I guess this is lathering twice. Does anyone else rinse only partially after the first lather???

I lather 3x. The first time I don't feel as if my hair is clean, b/c I really don't get a good lather. The second time, I usually get a lather, but it is not not much suds. The third time is a good lather, i get all the dirt out of my hair and rinse.

once with regular shampoo..but it's a couple of squeezes in the hand to make the one lather; once with a clarifying shampoo; and about three times while neutralizing after a relaxer. My hair can dry out if I do too much lather.. so I need to try to avoid more than one lather(except for relaxer day!)

JustMeSteph said:
I voted three but it depends how dirty my hair feels. I guess at least 3. Once to break down any oils, etc. Doesnt usually lather though. Hopefully, it lathers next time. Once to actually clean hair and scalp and last time to be sure its clean

This is exactly how I do it. The first never lathers well enough.

After relaxers I lather more than that. Also when trying to rinse out cassia I lather and rinse many times.

Back