How many of you do not brush your hair.

TwistNMx

I read a hair care book last year on growing hair. The author mentions that it's not good to brush your hair. I've had no problem with brushing. Does the hair type matter?
Can anyone tell me if they fear the brush?
(Thanks in advance).

I don't really brush anymore... because my hairdresser told me that it was what was helping to break my hair off around the edges (that stuff is pretty fragile). I haven't really noticed much of a difference though
frown.gif

i don't comb or brush! well, it has been about 2 months. i have no problems with tangles or knots.
smile.gif

I dont brush because I see no need for it...I usually comb with my fingers whenever possible. I used to brush my kitchen and edges because they were peasey
laugh.gif
but that was before I was hip to the moisture thing....now, a whole lotta moisture and a comb are all those areas need.!!

<font color="purple">I really don't have the need to brush my hair like I used to in the past. Sometimes I brush my hair back to smooth it while putting it up in a ponytail. Other than that, I don't mess with it. </font>

I don't brush my hair at all. I used to when it was really short, to keep it smooth and then I used a natural bristle brush. Now I don't even know where my brush is.

Girl I don't brush at all and guess what I let those little hairs stick up and I have thick hair so I don't have the "polished look". But now that my hair is healthier and more moisturized it isnt so bad-don't get it twisted I don't look like Alfalfa an the couple of strands that stick up are pretty unnoticeable.

I stopped brushing because someone on relaxed hair care told me that it breaks the hair. It is kind of funny because my grandmother has been saying this to me for years. I stopped brushing in March. I have recently started back to using a shampoo brush on my dry hair maybe once every two weeks.

i brush but is it okay for natural hair. i don't use i hard brush. i use a paddle brush around my edges a to get my hair down. you think that will hurt.

I dont brush any more, but brushing was my best friend, I am surpised that I even use a comb sooo much,:laughing:, I do plan to use on, once I can afford a good one, But I dont brush any more for now

brushing is not soo good for yourhair, but i cant not have a brush, can someone recommend a good type of brush that will not break my hair please. and i thought brushin was good to stimulate the scalp??

I stopped brushing and started using Rose H2O by Mizani. The extra moisture from this product and washing my hair at least every three days has made my hair more tame and it feels wonderful. I learned that the brush helps the breakage of your hair. Every since then I have stopped and have had a lot less breakage and noticed a lot more length. The moisture has helped with the shedding as well. I hope this helps.
clap.gif

I don't brush my hair like I used to, either. I only use my shower brush when I have a lot of conditioner in my hair when I want natural waves.

When I started my "healthy hair quest" three years ago I threw my brush away. I used to brush my hair every night and all I wound up doing was ripping my hair out. My hair was very thin and fine. Now, without the brush and knowledgable hair care my hair is much stronger and healthier. When I pull my hair back I use a little of what I put on my ends to smooth the hair. Then I tie a scarf on for a minute or 2 and I am ready to go. Smooth hair/no brush.

I just read an article yesterday that recommended "vent brushes" if you must brush. It's seldom that I brush but when I do I do use a vent brush. It's one that my stylist recommended to me last year. It has little balls on the end of the brush bristles. It's plastic. The article also said DO NOT USE BOARS BRISTLE BRUSHES!!! They rip your hair out!!! Years ago they used to say boars bristle brushes were the best.

I don't see hair in my brush when I use my vent brush. And... it feels good on my scalp.

Brushing may slightly help to "stimulate the scalp" in some cases, but the damage that it causes to relaxed hair is not worth it. To stimulate the scalp and produce natural oils, massage your oil for about 5 mnutes every once in a while and then finger comb to distribute oils. I think brushing is fine for brushing into a style every once in a while, but brushing just to be brushing is a no no.

I don't brush, and I only comb when I do my daily rinse with conditioner in. Right now I have 2 strand twists in, and don't do anything but rinse.

Tracy

As much as I miss my boar bristle brush, I don't use it anymore. I haven't had a brush in my house for two years. The only time I brush my hair is when they wrap it at the salon, and since my "baby hair" is growing back, I use a medium bristle toothbrush to keep the hair in place.

I'm wondering if you non-brushers have your hair styled in a curly style. Cause if you want a wrap or some str8 style how can u do that w/no brush? Unless u are having some extra time w/ya hands and some think stuff to keep the hair down how can you have a nice str8 smooth style? Like w/my hair im gonna perm it cause im very tired of not being able to 1)run my fingers through my hair w/o being tangled and almost pulling out some hair(plus tryin to massage it can be difficult. so darn thick) 2)comb through 3)brush through. So i end up pressing it(not alot either) so i can do something more w/it, esp. when it comes to being in the workplace so i gotta touch my hair anyway. Right now im in the dont touch phase now. I just wear a scarf when im out in public and at home just chill. I wash it and everything but after that it dries i just leave it how it is and then go on about my day and then put it in my scarf at night w/my sleeping cap sometimes. But i DO remember asking this 1 guy who has nice curly hair how he's able to grow his and he also said to NOT touch it. dont comb, brush just leave it alone. I did that for like 4 or maybe 3 months and my hair did grow. Thats what im tryin to do now, but i cant wear the scarf/hat style "everywhere" so i'm gonna mess w/it again. Ok im rambling all over the place now. LOL :^P

[ QUOTE ]
I just read an article yesterday that recommended "vent brushes" if you must brush. It's seldom that I brush but when I do I do use a vent brush. It's one that my stylist recommended to me last year. It has little balls on the end of the brush bristles. It's plastic. The article also said DO NOT USE BOARS BRISTLE BRUSHES!!! They rip your hair out!!! Years ago they used to say boars bristle brushes were the best.

I don't see hair in my brush when I use my vent brush. And... it feels good on my scalp.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
smile.gif
Maybe I'll try a vent brush. I've been brushing for years and it feels good to my scalp to an extent.
Thanx

[ QUOTE ]
I stopped brushing and started using Rose H2O by Mizani. The extra moisture from this product and washing my hair at least every three days has made my hair more tame and it feels wonderful. I learned that the brush helps the breakage of your hair. Every since then I have stopped and have had a lot less breakage and noticed a lot more length. The moisture has helped with the shedding as well. I hope this helps.
clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
ooo.gif
Princess
When I think about it, maybe that's why I'm not achieving thickness to my hair. It grows well, but I'm not sure if it's naturally thin (normal thin) because of that darn brush
wallbash.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Brushing may slightly help to "stimulate the scalp" in some cases, but the damage that it causes to relaxed hair is not worth it. To stimulate the scalp and produce natural oils, massage your oil for about 5 mnutes every once in a while and then finger comb to distribute oils. I think brushing is fine for brushing into a style every once in a while, but brushing just to be brushing is a no no.

[/ QUOTE ]
look.gif
Okay

Thank you all for your input.
I was also told that brushing "wet" hair breaks it even faster. What do you think? Any opinions?
look.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You are right soslychic, maybe I'll do more scalp massages.
smile.gif

Back