How long to get over dry hair?

PurAngl1

Ok so I'm just wondering how long does it take for your hair to get over being dry. I have extremely dry, coarse hair and am giving it lots of TLC and moisture only deep conditioning. But my hair is still dry. How long did it take you when you first started your hair care journey for your hair to be properly moisturized? Or if you had protein overload how long did take to get over that? I started my journey the end of July. Is this sufficient enough time to not have dry hair anymore? How can you tell that it is not dry anymore? Is it supposed to feel softer? TIA!!!

You might want to do a porosity check to see if your hair is absorbing the moisture you're giving it. BTW, what do you use for moisture DCs?

Last edited:
I would do a porosity check. You might also want to try to baggy. Thats what helps my hair when it's dry. Works everytime.

My hair gained moisture over months and years. After almost 3 years of totally natural I hardly ever use deep conditoners. Give it some time and patience. Conditioner wash and condition. Then do it some more.

It definitely takes time, especially if you started with extremely damaged hair. It took me a few months to fully recover from seriously dry hair, even though it felt good once I got a good conditioner.

I agree with the others that you should check your porosity though. That may be an issue, either the moisture isn't binding to your hair or it's evaporating too quickly. Also, be sure that the ingredients in your conditioners aren't hindering you.

Also, everyone's hair doesn't feel "soft" when it's moisturized. Especially those with coarse hair. Just make sure what you're thinking is dryness, is actually dryness and not just how your hair feels. My hair feels dry to some people just because they're used to a different "feeling", but I know my hair is well moisturized.

I would suggest a porosity check as well & also clarify if you use products with lots of cones.

If that is not the problem, maybe try moisturizing butter. I've had a dryness problem for over a year although I moisturize often & seal with oils. I just started using a leave-in with shea butter and my hair definitely feels better & looks better.

It is not dry at all although it can sometimes look dry. I use coconut oil or a serum for shine.

My hair is ALWAYS dry and i've been at this for years. I think some hair is just prone to forever be dry.

I think that also, especially for me since my hair is super coarse.

It definitely takes time, especially if you started with extremely damaged hair. It took me a few months to fully recover from seriously dry hair, even though it felt good once I got a good conditioner.

I agree with the others that you should check your porosity though. That may be an issue, either the moisture isn't binding to your hair or it's evaporating too quickly. Also, be sure that the ingredients in your conditioners aren't hindering you.

Also, everyone's hair doesn't feel "soft" when it's moisturized. Especially those with coarse hair. Just make sure what you're thinking is dryness, is actually dryness and not just how your hair feels. My hair feels dry to some people just because they're used to a different "feeling", but I know my hair is well moisturized.

I'm starting to think this is the case with me. I've tried so many deep conditioners and my hair always feels dry and wiry. I'm wondering if thats just how my hair feels because it's so coarse.:ohwell: I wish I could put my hair under a microscope and look at the cuticles or something:lol:

OP, I agree look at your porosity and also your diet/water intake.

It took me about 5 months but I was also trying to find out what products and techniques worked for my hair and my lifestyle.

For me it was porosity control (ACV rinses), blow drying instead of air drying and believe it or not the type of relaxer I use. My hair hold more moisture w/ Mizani BB than it did w/ Linange Shea Butter relaxer.

My hair was chronically dry for the first 5 months of my HJ, until I correcetd my porosity. Now it's doing very well in terms of moisture.

Forever!

J/k but it felt like it, my hair was double processed (colour and relaxed) and not very well taken care of in terms of DC-ing etc.

I think maybe 6months before I knew my hair could be soft, I DC-ed (Nexxus Humectress was my hair's best friend), co-washed at least every 2 days, baggied every night, used ACV for final rinses, and a protein-based leave in.

Try baggying a couple of nights during the weeks. It works wonders in helping with moisture. And ITA on the porosity- make sure you check it and that it is "on point." There is no use trying to incorporate moisture if your hair isn't holding on to it, so porosity is very important.

I am one of those with dry hair. I really have to take care to keep it moisturized. DCs really help.

I also have hair that looks dry (in its natural state) even when its really moisturized. It is quite frustrating. When it is relaxed it looks more moisturized because it has some shine/sheen.

:yep: I agree with everything that’s been said especially checking your porosity and clarifying. I recently did my first clarifying session which left my scalp extremely clean and removed all build up on my hair. Additionally I did a ACV rinse as my final step after doing a steam DC and I’m absolutely loving my hair at the moment :cloud9: these were definitely the missing links in my regimen.
Wishing you lots of luck in finding a solution that works well for your hair :)

This happened to me when I first started out, after I checked my porosity and clarified it took about 2 months for my hair to really retain moisture

It took months of deep conditioning and paying attention to my hair. I did notice within the first 2-3 months less breakage and shedding and then after that it was a gradual thing until my hair wasnt always feeling dry and hard.
I would not have been able to make it through my transition and come out the other side with more than 1 hair on my head if it hadn't been for the suggestions I found here.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I am on right track. I definitely have porosity issues and I use PC for this, but not sure it is helping and I do ACV once in awhile as well. I DC with Elasta DPR 11 3x a week and use a good leave in and moisturizer. I also baggy at night. It just seems when my hair dries it is dry dry, esp the NG. But hopefully it will overcome it. Thanks again.

I'm having these issues still when i went to memphis last month i didn't.But there climate and water is VERY hair friendly.I stepped up on what the ladies are speakin' of here and since my edges have made such a huge turnaround...ihave noticed since starting to transition last year my edges are fine and soft(easily moistrized when every thing else is in check)but middle/back new growth is dry and hard alot. i used to think i was over doing mosturizer on edges but i now am pretty sure not and will start sectioning more and doing the same to my middle/back area.i started months agoapplying dc's with color brush to get that area really well and it has made a noticeable difference.Not great but GOOD.

ITA with Everything Ladies. You all have given PurAng1 Great Insight.

IK when I first started my hair was dry, brittle, overly porous, overprocessed, doubleprocessed, improperly neutralized. It was a HOTMESS. And I was a Weekly Client at a Salon.:nono:

It wasn't until I decided to become a DIY, and Research each of the issues I listed above and begun to make a concerted effort to correct each and every one of those systematically through developing a Targeted Regimen to Save My Hair.

Learning My Hair, Addressing the Current Condition of it, Deep Conditioning, Protein/Moisture Balancing and Correcting my Porosity Issues turned my Hair around in about 3-5 months.:yep:

Back