How long do YOU spend under the hood??

How long do YOU spend under the hood?

• Total voters

rissybaby

is this normal??? for the first time i got my rollers to fit EXACTLY the way i wanted them (though it took me 3 hours to rollerset) & i expected to have to sit under the dryer for maybe an hour or two. But after three whole hours on high heat my hair was STILL wet !!! :wallbash: I have BSL hair and it is kinda thick but not too much so maybe that has something to do with it. At the salon I usually have to sit under the dryer for an hour and a half. So whats the deal !?! How long do you ladies have to sit under the dryer?

Last edited:
I voted 30 minutes because my hair takes under 45 minutes to dry. I am SL with fine hair.

For my rollersets about 45mins...deep conditioners maybe 15mins to 30mins... One side of my head is sl then the other is a little longer:ohwell:

Is the dryer covering your whole head? Have you ever tried roller your hair backwards? Like instead of rollering the hair under you should roll it on top...I hope that makes sense:look:...One member said placing a towel over the dryer cut down time under the hood...HtH:yep:

Obviously you need to invest in a better dryer. Which one are you currently using? What heat setting do u use and what is the wattage? If something aint working for you, return it and try it again.

Too darn long! For a roller set, I would say about 2 hours. It dried the back quickly, but took forever to dry the front. I use it solely for DCing now. I went out at bought a hard hat dryer(couldn't afford and don't have the space for a Pibbs:sad:). My hair dries in about half the time now!

When I used a regular dryer I would have been under there for 3 hours and still be wet.

My pibbs- 1 hr 45 min

hmmm..all of these are good ideas...i already roll my hair up instead of down (thanks to macherieamor)....rite now i use a Gold N Hot soft bonnet dryer on the highest setting and your right MsAngie too darn long!!!

It takes my hair a little over an hour to dry. I have a Ion hand held dryer from sallys with a ConairPro Bonnet attachment. I keep the speed at low and heat at med until it's dry.

OP, it may also have something to do with how many weeks/months post relaxer you are as well. When I was getting relaxers, if I had just gotten one, it would take my hair about an hour and 45 minutes to dry (yeah, that's even with a fresh relaxer), but when I stopped getting them and the thicker my roots became, the longer it took me.

It's been almost a year and the last time I rollerset, I blew my Ion Plastic Bonnet dryer out and had the Gold n' Hot bonnet one that a friend let me use a while ago (that I haven't returned). I used it and it took me 3+ hours. I was afraid it was going to short out too. I need to invest in a good hard bonnet dryer though.

wow black barbie that sounds like my exact problem!!! I have a gold n hot bonnet dryer too.....annnnnnnd im also several weeks post relaxer (i guess i cant rollerset when im trying to stretch) hmmm..

To the OP: because your hair is so long and thick, you're probably going to have to take smaller sections when rolling your hair. Yes, it is going to take you a little while to roll it and your probably going to need alot more rollers.:lachen: Try it and see if it works. Smaller, thinner sections will cut the drying time down.:grin:

It's probably a combination of the type of dryer you're using and how much product you're using in your hair. Try using less product and your hair will dry faster.

good points tbaby and mrs houston!!!! i applied alot of product cuz i was told that the hair had to be completely saturated with water for it to turn out rite

I section my hair into small sections so that it won't take that long. I use 50+ rollers and it still takes 2+ hours. When I rollerset I get really comfortable, I get in the bed with snacks, water and juice, diner, a book, catalog and magazine.

I use the Ion soft bonnet dryer and it makes rollersetting more comfortable.

good points tbaby and mrs houston!!!! i applied alot of product cuz i was told that the hair had to be completely saturated with water for it to turn out rite
Product isn't a substitute for water. I think this is where you went wrong.

Also, hair dries more quickly with mesh rollers because they allow air to circulate freely all throughout the hair. Some people feel that magnetic rollers give a better set but try both to see which you prefer. Good luck next time.

It usally takes my hair a little over an hour to get completely dry. This is the dryer I use. I love this thing, the only thing that I would swith to would have to be a Pibbs, other than that I'll be sticking with this one. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6023380

I have the gold Select Pro and I love it. I've been eyeing this one but it didn't look big enough for my big gray rollers.

My hair takes about an hour and a half to dry.

Okay - I have BSL hair - When I was using my Dazey hooded dryer it took me every bit of 2.5 hours to dry.

Now that my baby arrived (Pibbs) - I'm dry in about 1hr. 20 mins. on 50 degrees.

Also depends on products used and size of rollers - it took me longer this time because I was using the gray magnectic rollers (jumbo) which puts more hair on the roller (use fewer rollers) - had I gone down a size (large) (more rollers) I would have been done in about 50 mins.

Also I just use a small amount of leavin-in and water. The less product you use the better it comes out and it will dry much quicker.

Back