How Long Before You Cook For Someone??

couple of months usually. depends on how often we are having sleepovers.

i think if we are having sleepovers during the week as well as the weekend normally we are cooking at home.

I wait until the day I die :look:

But I guess I would really only cook on special occasions or when I felt like doing some charity work.

Do people really have a set date for this type of thing? Some of y'all be trippin on every detail huh?

I have a friend that said date 3, I personally don't have a set time but I don't want a man getting too comfortable and thinking that he no longer has to wine, dine and woo me.

If you're comfortable enough to have him in your home, I'm sure some type of meal prep is going on.

Now if you're talking full menu planning and spending half the day cooking, I would think that's reserved for those in LTRs.

I bake cupcakes for when we are dating and I really like the guy. I cook simple dinners when we are in a long term relationship perhaps by month 2. There isn't really a timeline for me and I honestly don't like cooking. But I do enjoy the smile on a boyfriends face when he eats whatever I've cooked.

I bake cupcakes for when we are dating and I really like the guy. I cook simple dinners when we are in a long term relationship perhaps by month 2. There isn't really a timeline for me and I honestly don't like cooking. But I do enjoy the smile on a boyfriends face when he eats whatever I've cooked.

That is so sweet! I recently started a garden. .....maybe I'll give them some herbs in the dating stage :lachen:

When I first started cooking a few years ago, I was single and dating. I'd try out new recipes on gentlemen suitors. Home cooked meals got gentlemen attached. Quickly. :badidea:

So, to answer the question, I started cooking early in order to have taste testers. Guys took the gesture to mean waaaaaaaaaay more than it did.

Last edited:
When I first started cooking a few years ago, I was single and dating. I'd try out new recipes on gentlemen suitors. Home cooked meals got gentlemen attached. Quickly. :badidea:

So, to answer the question, I started cooking early in order to have taste testers. Guys took the gesture to mean waaaaaaaaaay more than it did.

Really??? When you cooked for them what did they think it to mean? Were you cooking full courses or simple dinner recipes.

I have a friend that said date 3, I personally don't have a set time but I don't want a man getting too comfortable and thinking that he no longer has to wine, dine and woo me.
Yeah, don't cook early on then. Guys will get comfortable and think they don't have to take you out and will start asking you "So what you cooking tonight?" :angry2:

Last edited:
That I really liked them and I was the type of woman to marry. That it was such a turn on to see a woman WANT to take care of a man. (Apparently, a lot of menfolk I ran into really DID associate food with love).

I got a marriage proposal with plans on our future together from one guy. (I wasn't interested like that and I don't take proposals without a ring seriously.) Too many started hanging around too much and thinking things were more than they were--I was dating for fun.
When I cooked for DH while we were dating, he told me that in his almost 20 years of dating, no woman had ever cooked FOR him. She may have had food there, but the meal was never FOR him. He said he truly valued an old school home cooked meal FOR HIM--that it was endearing.

The first thing I made for him was seafood gumbo. I served it in china with cloth napkins (because I wanted him and I like hostessing!)

The other dudes was more like tomato basil soup (from scratch though) with a grilled cheese sandwich. At the time I was in NYC and wanted a Chicago style deep dish pizza, I made it for myself and shared. One time was shrimp & grits, another egg foo young. Whatever I wanted to eat or learn to cook. I guess I would frame it flirtatiously, "let me cook xxx dish for you," because I wanted to sound confident not like ehat it really was, 'come taste test this for me nikka.' Lol.

Really??? When you cooked for them what did they think it to mean? Were you cooking full courses or simple dinner recipes.

I cooked him breakfast the morning after the first night we slept together...which also happened to be our first date. :curtain: We work together and he saw I always brought my lunch so he got the idea that I was a good cook (I'm not at all). So that morning he was asking about breakfast and I kinda felt bad not having anything for him to eat so I cooked. Bad idea.

Now he's always expecting me to cook for him and asking me what I'm planning on cooking (even when I have absolutely no plans). I've been avoiding cooking completely because he knows I've been super busy with work and stuff. But I've noticed that he also hasn't been trying to wine, dine, and woo me as much. We're still dating but I wouldn't cook this early again in relationship. The expectations and pressure is too much.

You slept with him AND cooked for him on the first date? .....and you're still dating him? ! What? ! Why? ! :lachen:

That I really liked them and I was the type of woman to marry. That it was such a turn on to see a woman WANT to take care of a man. (Apparently, a lot of menfolk I ran into really DID associate food with love).

I got a marriage proposal with plans on our future together from one guy. (I wasn't interested like that and I don't take proposals without a ring seriously.) Too many started hanging around too much and thinking things were more than they were--I was dating for fun.
When I cooked for DH while we were dating, he told me that in his almost 20 years of dating, no woman had ever cooked FOR him. She may have had food there, but the meal was never FOR him. He said he truly valued an old school home cooked meal FOR HIM--that it was endearing.

The first thing I made for him was seafood gumbo. I served it in china with cloth napkins (because I wanted him and I like hostessing!)

The other dudes was more like tomato basil soup (from scratch though) with a grilled cheese sandwich. At the time I was in NYC and wanted a Chicago style deep dish pizza, I made it for myself and shared. One time was shrimp & grits, another egg foo young. Whatever I wanted to eat or learn to cook. I guess I would frame it flirtatiously, "let me cook xxx dish for you," because I wanted to sound confident not like ehat it really was, 'come taste test this for me nikka.' Lol.

Seafood gumbo, tomato basil soup & grilled cheese sandwich, Chicago style deep dish pizza... will you cook for me :)

Aww your DH must have been so happy with you! It is true men love home cooked meals served just for them. You sound like a really good hostess. When I cooked a simple dish for my then boyfriend the dish was served in ceramic plates (I hate plastic) but china with cloth napkins I will try in the future!

Here's the thing, I normally cook everyday. Every. Single. Day. I'm actually considering making a career of it. I love to cook, I've been in the kitchen playing around since I was an itty-bitty girl. Therefore, cooked food is a perk of dating me.
I cooked for my ex husband at his place around 1 month after dating seriously, after I knew it was going somewhere. He always wanted me around, so it made sense for me to just cook, instead of eating out 3 meals a day.
Same with current SO. We still do dinner dates.

Yeah, don't cook early on then. Guys will get comfortable and think they don't have to take you out and will start asking you "So what you cooking tonight?" :angry2:

Exactly! I used to cook for my two ex's all the time but we still went out on pretty consistent dates. But as soon as I started cooking for my cutty buddy he called himself trying to come over my house all the time :eyeroll: It really does depend on the nature of the relationship.

Exactly! I used to cook for my two ex's all the time but we still went out on pretty consistent dates. But as soon as I started cooking for my cutty buddy he called himself trying to come over my house all the time :eyeroll: It really does depend on the nature of the relationship.
I wouldnt mind cooking for him if I had keys to his place. But aint cooking in my kitchen with my groceries. I need my chicken breasts for myself. My current isn't a bad guy so I could make him shrimp pasta onve in a while.

Back