how early in a relationship....

How early in the relationship would you accept a proposal?

• less than a month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-3 months

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • 3-6 months

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • 6 months to a 1 year

Votes: 51 34.0%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 51 34.0%
  • 2+ years

Votes: 24 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SqrpioQutie

.... will you accept a proposal??

scenario: you and the SO get along great... you feel like this is the perfect person for you... they meet all of your requirements and you are on the same page about 95% of the major issues... how early in the relationship would you accept a proposal??

Well, I'm ready to get married. So if he was serious, and I had seen what I needed to about his character, and prayed about it, I could see myself accepting a proposal after 3-6 months.

Me and the SO have been together going on 14 months, and he's pretty much stated that he intends to marry me (whether I like it or not lol j/k). But I told him, to propose when he's ready with a ring. So that's what he's doing. I mean I wouldn't want to rush things. So I voted for 2+ years. You really have to get to know your SO before you make that commitment.

DH and I dated for 18 months before he proposed. My vote was for 6-12 months. 3-6 months is still the honeymoon cutesy phase in which ppl can hide who they really are, but at the same time I don't necessarily see the purpose in waiting 2+ yrs, if all ducks are in a row.

I think 9-12 months is on the kinda early side, but ideal if there are no obstacles.

DH and I dated for 18 months before he proposed. My vote was for 6-12 months. 3-6 months is still the honeymoon cutesy phase in which ppl can hide who they really are, but at the same time I don't necessarily see the purpose in waiting 2+ yrs, if all ducks are in a row.

I think 9-12 months is on the kinda early side, but ideal if there are no obstacles.

Only reason I'm waiting is because I'm still in college (Spring '09 I am outta here! :drunk:). So I still have some growing to do, you know? But truth be told, I'd marry the SO right now if I could. Roll down to the JP and be official. LOL.

as soon as it felt right....and with that said Ive only felt one time that I would marry this person any day of the week he asked me. Just too bad he asked someone else :lol: thats just the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

Originally voted 1-2 years, however 6 months to 1 year I would accept a proposal. Granted we will not get married within that time span so accepting a proposal less than a year is not bad. This is of course we are at the same place in our lives and this is what the both of us want and are doing what it takes to make it happen. I had to seriously sit down and think things through before truthfully answering this question.

Last edited:
i voted 1 - 2 years... but if SO asked me tomorrow (we've been dating for 9 months) i'd be like YESSIR!!!

i've always dreamed of getting married young and having kids early.

Well, I'm ready to get married. So if he was serious, and I had seen what I needed to about his character, and prayed about it, I could see myself accepting a proposal after 3-6 months.

I agree with that!

I say anytime after one year. You need to know a person through all season. Plus I have been married before so I do not have an urge to get married right away. Truth be told I would be satisfied with a life long companion.

6 months to 1 year. i don't think i'd believe he realised the full seriousness of what he was asking if he were to ask earlier. subsequently, i'd be hesitant to commit to him in that way because even though i'm slightly impulsive myself, i don't make decisions like that on a whim so would think his behaviour indicated to a potentially major character flaw.

i believing thinking you want to marry someone after a short amount of time together and even knowing it in your heart is possible but when you ask then you need to make sure you know exactly what it is that you may be getting yourself into.

I voted 1-2 years. ITA that the first 6 months are usually the honeymoon period. Although, it does also depend on the ages of the couple. I think that an older couple may know a lot sooner than a year. A couple in their teens and early 20's may need 3+ years....

I chose 2+ years. Me & my s/o have been together for almost 2 years. He has already told me he's ready to take that step, he's just waiting on me.

eearly in a relationship....

It depends on a vary of things. I dont think there is a "certain" time frame. It just depnds on when the two feel they are ready, mentally, emotionally, financially etcc. Its different when two marriage minded people meet. Certain things it doesnt take time for you both to understand. The honeymoon stage can be different for many. I think me and my SO are still in the "honeymoon" stage, but we have seen each other through grief, happy times, and not so appealling times, and still know there is alot to learn about one another. But that is the case is any relationship. Neither one of you will remain the same person you were when you entered the relationship, so you two will be learning and adjusting as the relationship evolves. So when you decide to accept that proposal is gonna be different from others you know or what society tells us is the "norm". Just do what you feel is right for you and dont let society tell you when its time. You will know.

I need time to get to know, and see how we do for a long length of time. I said 2+ years because I want to be sure, you know? My SO and I have been together for 4 years in Sept. So, it's just whenever. I feel too young to be married right now, though.

interesting responses so far... i see we run the gamut here (although i don't see any super early birds voting for less than a month)....

my thought is that if the two people have been out living their lives, have seen and/or accomplished a lot, are not "young" in the ways of the world and are marriage-minded, i think that you can know within that 3 - 6 month timeline... especially for those 30-somethings who have been patiently meeting a discarding for a while.. lol (or is that just me?)

SO and I were together for 11 months before he proposed, one month shy of our anniversary. After he did it, I asked him when he started planning this and he said "About 6 months ago." For him, he had seen everything that there was to see in me in that amount of time. At first I was surprised but now that I think about it, going through our history and our time together, I knew I was going to marry him pretty much around the same time that he did.

interesting responses so far... i see we run the gamut here (although i don't see any super early birds voting for less than a month)....

my thought is that if the two people have been out living their lives, have seen and/or accomplished a lot, are not "young" in the ways of the world and are marriage-minded, i think that you can know within that 3 - 6 month timeline... especially for those 30-somethings who have been patiently meeting a discarding for a while.. lol (or is that just me?)

Nope. I agree with this.

My DH and I starting talking marriage quite early in our relationship. We got engaged 4 months after meeting. He was 30, I was 29.

I voted 2+ years, but I am young (21). I don't see how I could figure out if I want to spend the rest of my life (i.e. decades) with someone after just 6 months or even a year. I'm not ready to even think about marriage anyway.

I do see how that time frame could shrink with age and experience. :yep:

I like these responses. Any reckless talkers out there LOL? the 2 months and less people :lol: just jokes. :look:

I voted 3-6 months. But I would need to know him for a full year or so before actually getting that license. So ~3-6mths until proposal, then another 3-6mths until license.

I must admit, i've always thought that if everything in the relationship was balanced, both partners were obviously happy, and everything was going very well in-terms of both partners being able to respect one another and give and take, then a proposal at 2 1/2-3 years is acceptable.

If you're like me in relationships (lolll :ohwell:) you've seen, heard, done it all with an individual by the 2 1/2-3 year marker. You know him well enough by then, and, if he doesn't propose by now, he just might not.... I was with my SO for nearly 2 years before he proposed (although we never married, and he's a zainy idiot! :look::wallbash:) lol so i'd wait at least 2 years before deciding...only because you need ample time to "suss" out any behaviors/ideologies/thoughts/mannerisms that will by that mark be blatantly apparent. From the marriages i've seen around me (like ones that lasted decades and decades) these people married only knowing each other for a year and maybe less and now they are crumbling....

I must say i'm glad my SO didn't go through with the proposal...:grin: I've realized there was SO MUCH MORE that I didn't know about him and to accept it would've been premature given all the knowledge I have on him now.....now i'd be MUCH less likely to marry...

Wait until you feel you know him- because 9 times out of 10 you don't know him as well as you think within the first year or so....:nono:

I voted 6 months to a year but it really depends on the people in the relationship and how close they are and how much they have grown together. I've been with my man for almost 7 months and we actually live together and I would marry him today if we had the money however, we grew up together and have known each other all our lives so like i said it depends on your relationship.

I accepted my hubby's proposal at 3 months...and we were still in high school! We did wait a while to get married though:perplexed. I don't regret my decision. Hubby and I were meant to be. If you feel the same then at least have a decent length between the engagement and wedding. Don't just rush off and tie the knot if you've been together for less than 2 yrs, I'd say. Hubby and I waited 4yrs until we got married.

Assuming the person seemed flawless and had passed all the tests, overt and insidious, that I run, I would still wait at least 6 months to a year to accept any proposal, and our engagement would be at least a year while I hired a PI to rummage through his life and tried my best to dig up anything hidden on him. I simply do not trust easily and especially not when it comes to men.

I voted 2+ but only because I plan to start medical school before I accept a proposal. If I was in a different situation, I would say 1-2 years.

Back