How do you wear the wet, scrunched look?

Chaya

I have 3c/4a relaxed hair and I want to wear the scrunched/wet look. How do you do it and what products do you use?
Thanks

I use either elasta QP or a stronger gel, depending on how far along my hair is ( post relax) after washing...then I'll either let it air dry, if I have alot of time OR...I'll use a diffuser to "shape" the curls(less frizzes for me) up to 75 % then airdry . My products vary but as of late...it is Elasta, any conditioner as a leave -in BUT Sebastian 9 REally does a great job, no need to manipulate curls with this one, this cond. makes it happen,& sometimes Relax product ( the spray)

HTH.....

i shampoo, condition and apply all my products as usual and run a little oil through it and comb with a wide tooth comb then i mix ice pomade with regular brown gel and just scrunch it all over the place. i usually dont blow dry it unless im on the way out, i just towel dry it real good.

[ QUOTE ]
ccd said:
I use either elasta QP or a stronger gel, depending on how far along my hair is ( post relax) after washing...then I'll either let it air dry, if I have alot of time OR...I'll use a diffuser to "shape" the curls(less frizzes for me) up to 75 % then airdry . My products vary but as of late...it is Elasta, any conditioner as a leave -in BUT Sebastian 9 REally does a great job, no need to manipulate curls with this one, this cond. makes it happen,& sometimes Relax product ( the spray)

HTH.....

[/ QUOTE ]

So use a leave in and gel? The Elasta QP you mentioned, was that the Elasta QP gel?

Could this be done with a setting lotions?

How about the Aussie Scrunch spray? I saw this in the store and thought about trying it since its inexpensive. I can purchase anymore expensive products right now due to an impending job relocation. Thanks for your help

I just wash, cond and put Infusium 23 and TCB 24/7 cream in and let it dry. I don't really do any schrunching to it. I think it is labeled wash and wear or weekend hair in my album.

[ QUOTE ]
Chaya said:
[ QUOTE ]
ccd said:

HTH.....

[/ QUOTE ]

So use a leave in and gel? The Elasta QP you mentioned, was that the Elasta QP gel?
YES I USE BOTH...MY USUAL( RUSK, SEBASTIANS OR A REGULAR COND.) AND ELASTA-FEELS LIKE SILK
Could this be done with a setting lotions? WELL, I DON'T LIKE THE WAY MY HAIR FEELS WITH SETTINGS...KINDA CRUNCHY
ohwell.gif

How about the Aussie Scrunch spray? I saw this in the store and thought about trying it since its inexpensive. I can purchase anymore expensive products right now due to an impending job relocation. Thanks for your help

[/ QUOTE ]

I'VE NEVER USED IT...CAN'T COMMENT.... but you can definitely fnd less expensive prod. I mentioned it just in case...I've had mine for 2 years( I think...i only use it in the summer when I'm going out and I want it to look and smell good)
smile.gif

CHAYA!!!! Girl, hey you got my middle name!! How do you pronounce yours? Do you say "Shy uh" ? Thats the way I say it!

No Its pronounced like that GOD AWFUL RAPPER Khia pronounced hers. Rhymes with the singer Mya but replace the M with a "K" sound!

CCD-
I want to have that natural, sun kissed curly look tomorrow without looking like a SCREAMING BANCHEE!! I just want it to be shiney, not dry looking! So you would suggest using the Elasta QP gel along with a leave in? Ill give it a try and update you!

Tracy has the best ever instructions for the wet 'n wavy style!! It's using John Frieda Dream Curls, and it's the best thing I've tried yet. Definitely better than the Ripple Effect. And only costs about $6.00. Hopefully she'll post the instructions for ya!!
smile.gif

*edited to add: Better yet, those instructions should be posted in the sticky note post at the top of the board "LHCF Methods"!!!
smile.gif

I used to wear this style alot, although nowadays, I have so many textures, the curliest parts are under the bottom with the stringy, overprocessed parts on top. So, I don't like to wear it as much.
barf.gif

Anyway, I recommend using a leave-in AND gel/scrunching product for optimim curliness (you can use a touch of mousse too, Pantene's curling mousse is the best and alcohol-free). I've tried a thousand different products for scrunching, but the best one to me is Black and Sassy Creamy Set. It stinks, but it makes the best waves and adds hold. Before I weaved my hair up, I was using Citre Shine curl booster. It's a teeny bit drying, but I do get better looking curls with this stuff.

Lindy the lady who does my eyebrows also SWEARS by the Dream Curls...I have not tried it yet but I will in as soon as my finish my Curl Rocks. I usually wash, lightly squeeze the water out of my hair, apply my 2 leave ins and some Giovanni, then I apply the Curl Rocks and I am cool. However last week when I washed it I used some Texture stuff by Loreal, their spiral down creme.

Oh yeah, Let's Jam Gel works just as good. I have had good results in the past by using the Infusium Leave-In, Pantene Mousse, and then scrunching with Let's Jam (regular one with green top). I can't wait to take my weave out and start back experimenting with these 'dos.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
Oh yeah, Let's Jam Gel works just as good. I have had good results in the past by using the Infusium Leave-In, Pantene Mousse, and then scrunching with Let's Jam (regular one with green top).

[/ QUOTE ]

Really??!! I have a big jar of Let's Jam that's been collecting dust... I've gotta try it for the wash n go!!
smile.gif
Thanks Karonica!
up.gif

EEEEK!!!
So which one will it be?!?!?!

You all have offered some great suggestions. Do these products contain alcohol? i do like the let's jam but Ive never used it to scrunch.

Xcellence2- What is curl rocks? Who makes that? It sounds like a Tigi product...not that I would know
ohwell.gif

So its looks like
1. Wash / COndition hair
2. Lightly squeeze water out of the hair
3. Add leave in
4. Add Pantene curling mousse
5. Scrunch with regular lets jam
6. Walk out the door with beautiful, shiney, bouncy curls right?!?!?!

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
To the ladies who do the wash and go,would you say the results are as good as a braidout?

[/ QUOTE ]

nono.gif
I'm still working on perfecting mine, but so far I like my twist-out look better.
look.gif
The wash 'n go sometimes comes out like "who did it & ran..."
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You REALLY have to experiment & find the perfect combination of products.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Chaya said:

So its looks like
1. Wash / COndition hair
2. Lightly squeeze water out of the hair
3. Add leave in
4. Add Pantene curling mousse
5. Scrunch with regular lets jam
6. Walk out the door with beautiful, shiney, bouncy curls right?!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

No girl.
nono.gif
You have to have a curl pattern to begin with.
laugh.gif
Jam doesn't make my hair bouncy, gels don't in general. You may want to try a leave-in and some type of cream or something. But keep in mind, if you already have the curl pattern, the only thing the products will do is boost it or bring it out.
smile.gif

Ripple Effect promises waves and all the hellabaloo, but it doesn't work for some people. The reason being, their hair is probably too straight to begin with. This is why I can't get the top layer of my hair to curl as well as the bottom.

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
To the ladies who do the wash and go,would you say the results are as good as a braidout?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, no, because I can get a braid-out to be uniformed all over. With a wash and go, some parts are going to be curlier than the other, while some parts are stick straight. It's just gross and weird.

Well when my hair is wet/drying it has waves and curls in places. My hair isnt completely STRAIGHT. I want to enhance the curls that I have.
Does my step by step look okay though?

I think you're going to have a LOT of fun.
smile.gif
Start off by playing around with leave-in. Some people don't need a lot of products, a simple leave-in and some scrunching does the trick. Or, you can try a leave-in and some setting lotion, like the Lottabody Creme kind. Girl, there are SO many possibilities, don't limit yourself. You may find that some leave-in and the Jam gel is all you need.
smile.gif

Products that are a little bit sticky tend to work the best for me.
smile.gif
wink.gif

Chaya

Curl Rocks is made by Tigi but I believe it is 13 or 14 a bottle. It gives you hold and a shine but if u use too much it makes you hair a bit hard...I have a pic of my hair wih it. The lady who suggested it to me uses #4 in the John Frieda line which is the Dream Curls stuff.

Goody Goody!!! I cant wait to try it tomorrow. I hope my boyfriend doesnt think I look crazy when he sees me!

I read an article that interviewed Mya re: how she takes care of her hair and she said when she wants waves she uses a setting lotion. Tighter curls...I cant remember what she used since I usually try to loosen my curls/waves.

Well, you can always wash it out and start over.
laugh.gif
I know how you feel. When I first heard about Ripple Effect, I raced to the store like nobody's mama.
laugh.gif
Then, I realized I could get the same look by trying other methods. Thank God for hairboards, or else, I woulda never known.
smirk.gif

From the How to's thread....
wink.gif
Hope it helps...

My hair is the same texture as yours Chaya and yes, I leave with springy bouncy curls if I do it just this way....
smile.gif
I made a few minor changes...just for clarity....
---------

Reposting here upon request

The primary ingredients for a natural looking curl on relaxed hair are:

conditioner
Styling Cream
Curl spray
Serum

Some people may not need the styling creme and the curl spray togther. I can do without the styling creme, or the spray in a pinch for instance - but not both.

The products I use to achieve my curl vary, but for the most part I use the following:

Any leave in or lightweight rinse out conditoner will do. Lately, I've had fab results with Sebastian Moisture Base. Again, any conditioner that you like that isn't too heavy and doesn't have too many cones will work. I wouldn't go for instance with a cholesterol conditioner.

I religiously use and will never give up John Frieda Dream Curls. That's the curl spray that does the trick on my hair. A good gel that has a similar purpose is KMS curling balm. Either will effect the same results - to encourage and hold the curl in the hair minus crunch (a determining factor for me). If you have a hard time with the sprays and gels some people's hair responds better to non-alcohol mousse. John Frieda's Frizz Ease line has one that is superior. Point? You need something to encourage the curl.

The styling cremes (I like Salon Selectives Loosely Defined and my favorite is L'oreal UnFrizz Taming Creme) are optional but they give a nice finished look and some control if your hair tends to get too big as it dries.

The serum is key. I've experimented a lot and you need a good thick one. I like Keracare's Silken Seal. It should go after the conditioner and the creme's but before the spray. The product encouraging the curl should be the last to go on.

The rest is in the technique. I lightly wrap a towel around my head after washing just so it's not soaking wet. A minute or two - tops. Then I apply a tablespoon size of conditioner (mostly to the last 3 inches of my hair) and the styling creme if I'm using one. Then I tie my edges with a satiny rectangular shaped scarf (I mention the shape only because it should extend back toward the crown only about 2-3 inches - otherwise the top of the hair will be flat). I leave the scarf on until it's mostly dry and to the the area that's left free I apply the curl spray liberally and then the serum.

Then I DO NOT TOUCH IT, DO NOT TOUCH IT, DO NOT TOUCH IT (can you tell this is important? ) until it's 75% dry. It should feel slightly damp but mostly dry to the touch. At that point I lightly gather just the tips of my hair in my fists and squeeze gently. That helps encourage the curl on the strands that aren't going with the flow. It helps to bend over and let gravity help separate the strands from one another to give a nice, full appearance

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
Well, you can always wash it out and start over.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I've done that before!!
look.gif

[ QUOTE ]
When I first heard about Ripple Effect, I raced to the store like nobody's mama.
laugh.gif
Then, I realized I could get the same look by trying other methods. Thank God for hairboards, or else, I woulda never known.
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!! A couple of years ago, I would have NEVER dreamed that I could actually wash my hair and let it dry naturally and actually go out in public!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
It's such a good feeling to know that it can be done, and that it can look cute!! That's why I'm working HARD on perfecting it!!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
From the How to's thread....
wink.gif
Hope it helps...

My hair is the same texture as yours Chaya and yes, I leave with springy bouncy curls if I do it just this way....
smile.gif
I made a few minor changes...just for clarity....
---------

Reposting here upon request

The primary ingredients for a natural looking curl on relaxed hair are:

conditioner
Styling Cream
Curl spray
Serum

Some people may not need the styling creme and the curl spray togther. I can do without the styling creme, or the spray in a pinch for instance - but not both.

The products I use to achieve my curl vary, but for the most part I use the following:

Any leave in or lightweight rinse out conditoner will do. Lately, I've had fab results with Sebastian Moisture Base. Again, any conditioner that you like that isn't too heavy and doesn't have too many cones will work. I wouldn't go for instance with a cholesterol conditioner.

I religiously use and will never give up John Frieda Dream Curls. That's the curl spray that does the trick on my hair. A good gel that has a similar purpose is KMS curling balm. Either will effect the same results - to encourage and hold the curl in the hair minus crunch (a determining factor for me). If you have a hard time with the sprays and gels some people's hair responds better to non-alcohol mousse. John Frieda's Frizz Ease line has one that is superior. Point? You need something to encourage the curl.

The styling cremes (I like Salon Selectives Loosely Defined and my favorite is L'oreal UnFrizz Taming Creme) are optional but they give a nice finished look and some control if your hair tends to get too big as it dries.

The serum is key. I've experimented a lot and you need a good thick one. I like Keracare's Silken Seal. It should go after the conditioner and the creme's but before the spray. The product encouraging the curl should be the last to go on.

The rest is in the technique. I lightly wrap a towel around my head after washing just so it's not soaking wet. A minute or two - tops. Then I apply a tablespoon size of conditioner (mostly to the last 3 inches of my hair) and the styling creme if I'm using one. Then I tie my edges with a satiny rectangular shaped scarf (I mention the shape only because it should extend back toward the crown only about 2-3 inches - otherwise the top of the hair will be flat). I leave the scarf on until it's mostly dry and to the the area that's left free I apply the curl spray liberally and then the serum.

Then I DO NOT TOUCH IT, DO NOT TOUCH IT, DO NOT TOUCH IT (can you tell this is important? ) until it's 75% dry. It should feel slightly damp but mostly dry to the touch. At that point I lightly gather just the tips of my hair in my fists and squeeze gently. That helps encourage the curl on the strands that aren't going with the flow. It helps to bend over and let gravity help separate the strands from one another to give a nice, full appearance

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I will have to purchase the curl spray because I dont have any of that. I will try pantene or aussie. I dont want to spend alot on something that may or maynot work ya know?!?!
But I will follow your procedure step by step. Im going to try it RIGHT after work just in case it looks a mess I will still have time to rollerset it before going out tomorrow night!! Ahhh Im nervous!

Do you think Pantene or Aussie's curl sprays will be okay?
confused.gif

No. Dream Curls is the only one I recommend. They could work, but I don't know for sure.

I think any other product sub would be fine EXCEPT the curl spray.
ohwell.gif

The Dream Curls is about 6 or 7 bucks.

But you can try it....if you do let me know how it goes. I'd love to have other options. I'd hate to see me if they discontinue the JF...
laugh.gif

Back