How do you respond when someone tells you that your hair is long?

I agree I think most of the time people are saying that to us because they are not use to seeing us with long hair or think our hair cant grow long. And when i say us I am refering to blk women.

I think you might be right. People who tell me that often have a surprised look on their face or appear to be in awe. They rarely just smile, say that my hair is long, and then change the subject.

If someone was wearing a cute outfit, I might say "That's a cute outfit." I wouldn't stand there staring or look surprised that the outfit was so cute. :nono:

i've never had someone say "your hair is long"
i've gotten "your hair is GETTING long"

i usually just nod or say "hmm"

i never know what to say.

If someone says "You have a nice figure" or "Your eyelashes are so long!" or "Your skin is so clear"

It's taken as a compliment even though you are obviously thin and healthy ( or plump/thick/fat or whatever looks good in that person's eyes). Your eyelashes are obviously long and your skin would be obviously clear.

Why is hair any different?

Your hair is long is usually a compliment. Long hair is considered to be feminine and pretty.

How can someone compliment something that is NOT obvious?

You kinda have to be able to observe the good trait/feature to compliment it.

A lot of people really need to learn how to take a compliment.

If you can't take a compliment, it makes me wonder how sincere your compliments actually are. Do you personally jump through hoops and try to word each of your compliments as if you were writing a thesis? Do you carefully think about how to compliment the person and make it as politically correct as possible?

No offense to anyone, including the OP.

I don't think that if someone doesn't consider the statement "Your hair is long" to be a compliment suggests that they don't know how to take one, or that their compliments are not sincere. I am not quite sure where that came from. :perplexed

Personally, if I am giving a compliment, I make sure that the person receiving it knows that it's a compliment. I don't think it's that hard to do.

Someone can easily compliment something that is obvious by following the statement up with "I like it" or "it's so pretty" or "it's cute." It's not that anyone is saying the comment "your hair is long" can't be a compliment. By itself, however, since most people don't necessarily prefer or like long hair, it would need an additional statement to make it a compliment.

I would smile and say Thanks and keep it moving, I don't what else you could say, People Love long hair and are in Awe with it, I will be glad when the Day come for someone to tell me "Girl You Got Some Big Fluffy Hair"

It might be a way of some people giving you a compliment. But I don't know, I have told people that their hair was long and all they said was Thank You with a smile.

I don't think that if someone doesn't consider the statement "Your hair is long" to be a compliment suggests that they don't know how to take one, or that their compliments are not sincere. I am not quite sure where that came from. :perplexed

Personally, if I am giving a compliment, I make sure that the person receiving it knows that it's a compliment. I don't think it's that hard to do.

Someone can easily compliment something that is obvious by following the statement up with "I like it" or "it's so pretty" or "it's cute." It's not that anyone is saying the comment "your hair is long" can't be a compliment. By itself, however, since most people don't necessarily prefer or like long hair, it would need an additional statement to make it a compliment.

Plain and simple... I just don't agree.

What other reason would someone have just to say that? I'm sure they just weren't talking to themselves.

Compliment giving is not something that is supposed to be so complicated imo :lol:

I just keep thinking... what do you want people to do? Carefully think about what they want to say for 30 minutes, making sure to point out every single thing they like about your hair? Not only that it's long, but it's soft, shiny, smells great, has so much body?

Where do you draw the line? Why can't people just give short, simple compliments sometimes?

I know we are hair obsessed... but going back to my first posting, if someone told you you have a nice figure, you don't require them to point out that you have nice perky boobs and round, wide hips before you take it as a compliment, do you? :lol:

If we are so obsessed that we can't take a simple compliment for what it's worth, that's a shame imo.

Like I said, not intended to offend. I want to know where people are coming from and I am sometimes a little tiny weeny bit blunt. I hope it didn't come across as me being angry/mean.

Last edited:

What other reason would someone have just to say that? I'm sure they just weren't talking to themselves.

Compliment giving is not something that is supposed to be so complicated imo :lol:

I just keep thinking... what do you want people to do? Carefully think about what they want to say for 30 minutes, making sure to point out every single thing they like about your hair? Not only that it's long, but it's soft, shiny, smells great, has so much body?

Where do you draw the line? Why can't people just give short, simple compliments sometimes?

I know we are hair obsessed... but going back to my first posting, if someone told you you have a nice figure, you don't require them to point out that you have nice perky boobs and round, wide hips before you take it as a compliment, do you? :lol:

If we are so obsessed that we can't take a simple compliment for what it's worth, that's a shame imo.

Like I said, not intended to offend. I want to know where people are coming from and I am sometimes a little tiny weeny bit blunt. I hope it didn't come across as me being angry/mean.

no. just bitter. Would you like a compliment---"your hair is long"

I would hope that it wouldn't take someone 30 minutes to think of the comment "your hair is long and pretty." :blush: I think that's a nice short, simple compliment, don't you?

In your example "you have a nice figure" NICE is the word that helps to make the comment a compliment. While we can go back and forth on whether "you have a figure" is a compliment or not, my point is that you can simply compliment the length of someone's hair, but saying "you have long hair" is not a compliment.

I agree that compliment giving shouldn't be complicated, and I don't think it has to be, but I don't believe that everything that folks say is a compliment just because some people in society consider it to be.

I would hope that it wouldn't take someone 30 minutes to think of the comment "your hair is long and pretty." :blush: I think that's a nice short, simple compliment, don't you?

In your example "you have a nice figure" NICE is the word that helps to make the comment a compliment. While we can go back and forth on whether "you have a figure" is a compliment or not, my point is that you can simply compliment the length of someone's hair, but saying "you have long hair" is not a compliment.

I agree that compliment giving shouldn't be complicated, and I don't think it has to be, but I don't believe that everything that folks say is acompliment just because some people in society consider it to be.

but if you know that the person MEANS it as a compliment, why not just take it as one?

Why mince words?

I just think it's funny that some people act as if you have to "use the right words" in order to give a "proper" compliment.

Since when do we have to be prim and proper and use the Queen's English to give a compliment, lol?

If you are an English professor grading a paper, I would understand you correcting someone for not saying it "properly". Technically it does not express the thought fully.

but do you really have to speak perfect/proper English to give a compliment? Is this second grade where we learn that all sentences must have a subject, verb and express a complete thought?

If the compliment is a sentence fragment, it is not valid :lachen:That's some ish right there.

If someone said, "Those shoes are hot!" is that not a compliment because they used slang and not proper English? :lol:

I agree that compliment giving shouldn't be complicated, and I don't think it has to be, but I don't believe that everything that folks say is a compliment just because some people in society consider it to be.

:lachen: apparently it does for some :rolleyes:. I guess adding 2 more words makes the sentence so effortful and time consuming. i don't get all of the uproar. At least this thread is keeping me entertained during my study breaks. :grin:

:lachen: apparently it does for some :rolleyes:. I guess adding 2 more words makes the sentence so effortful and time consuming. i don't get all of the uproar. At least this thread is keeping me entertained during my study breaks. :grin:

But why does leaving those 2 words out make the whole thing null and void?

I find this to be funny too :lachen:

but if you know that the person MEANS it as a compliment, why not just take it as one?

Why mince words?

I just think it's funny that some people act as if you have to "use the right words" in order to give a "proper" compliment.

Since when do we have to be prim and proper and use the Queen's English to give a compliment, lol?

If you are an English professor grading a paper, I would understand you correcting someone for not saying it "properly". Technically it does not express the thought fully.

but do you really have to speak perfect/proper English to give a compliment? Is this second grade where we learn that all sentences must have a subject, verb and express a complete thought?

If the compliment is a sentence fragment, it is not valid :lachen:That's some ish right there.

If someone said, "Those shoes are hot!" is that not a compliment because they used slang and not proper English? :lol:

I think you're missing my point.

I don't think it's clear that someone intends the comment "your hair is long" to be a compliment. Period.

I'm not expecting anyone to use certain words or complete sentences when giving a compliment. I don't think anyone in this entire thread has said that or even implied it...

But why does leaving those 2 words out make the whole thing null and void?

I find this to be funny too :lachen:

I'm glad you're laughing. I was a little worried for you there. :lachen:

it's not null and void, it's just not a compliment. The recipient may take it as one, but I wouldn't. It's a simple, subjective statement. I would just smile, which acknowledges their statement, and keep it moving. I equate it to the times when i say to a tall dude, "you're so tall." it doesn't mean that I like tall guys, that i don't like tall guys, that he's cute 'cause he's tall, etc....it just means that i fine his height to be above what i deem as average. nothing more, nothing less.

i know that hair is a symbol of beauty by many (as is height in a man) but it's not true for all. Most people who i know (myself included) would prefer shorter thick hair than longer thin hair. also don't think that long hair suits everyone. I'll be interested to see how i'll look with mbl hair when i get there. i honestly feel that i'll need to cut it in a layered BSL and keep it there. I guess the big thing is that i don't inherently find long hair attractive, thus, stating that someone's hair is long isn't necessarily a compliment. for those who love long hair just because, ii'm sure that it is a compliment.

we can agree to disagree :grin:

again, good study break. one more hour to go:ohwell:

Last edited:
Here is a thought-
A white women came up to me in the store the other day and said " my, your hair is long". Now I took that as a compliment and said thank you ( of course with a weird expression on my face:look:). No sooner that I finished the you on thank you she said black women can't grow long hair and that is why we wear weaves:blush::nono::sad:. I reminded her in a nice way that ALL women can grow their hair long and weaves were first adorned by white women:yep:. Now I assumed that her "your hair is long" comment was a compliment but how do you take it after that negative opinionated comment. I would have walked away thinking that was a compliment and it wasn't. From now on I will answer people with " OK (weird expression) thank you (weird expression) and a smile.:grin::lachen::lachen:

I think you're missing my point.

I don't think it's clear that someone intends the comment "your hair is long" to be a compliment. Period.

I'm not expecting anyone to use certain words or complete sentences when giving a compliment. I don't think anyone in this entire thread has said that or even implied it...

I find that most of the time it's intended as a compliment.

On a basic level, that is what you're saying (imo)

"You have long hair" - wrong

"You have nice, long hair" - right

It's a play on words. No one is going to use proper English and complete sentences (in the real, crude, day to day world) all the time... although they MAY MEAN you have a beautiful head of long hair... it comes out as just "long hair".

I'm glad you're laughing. I was a little worried for you there. :lachen:

it's not null and void, it's just not a compliment. The recipient may take it as one, but I wouldn't. It's a simple, subjective statement. I would just smile, which acknowledges their statement, and keep it moving. I equate it to the times when i say to a tall dude, "you're so tall." it doesn't mean that I like tall guys, that i don't like tall guys, that he's cute 'cause he's tall, etc....it just means that i fine his height to be above what i deem as average. nothing more, nothing less.

i know that hair is a symbol of beauty by many (as is height in a man) but it's not true for all. Most people who i know (myself included) would prefer shorter thick hair than longer thin hair. also don't think that long hair suits everyone. I'll be interested to see how i'll look with mbl hair when i get there. i honestly feel that i'll need to cut it in a layered BSL and keep it there. I guess the big thing is that i don't inherently find long hair attractive, thus, stating that someone's hair is long isn't necessarily a compliment. for those who love long hair just because, ii'm sure that it is a compliment.

we can agree to disagree :grin:

again, good study break. one more hour to go:ohwell:

I always write that I'm not mad and no one believes me :lol:

I would think that if you spoke to someone, you have a reason. I'm just not the type to talk for nothing... COMPLETELY foreign idea for me to say something TO someone and not have any meaning behind it.

I understand if you were talking to yourself, but just saying an empty statement to someone... is strange to me. What's the point in saying it?

That's just me, I just don't think that way... people are different I guess.

Curious... what kind of response are you looking for/would you expect from tall guys when you just say "Dude, you're tall?"

However, I would say that a big percentage of people view these empty comments as compliments.

Works the other way too. If you just walk up to a fat person and say "Dude, you're fat." They would take offense to it.

Although I generally consider it to be a compliment (and you can kind of tell by the way they say it), I usually say something like "what? no it's not" out of modesty and see where it goes from there, lol.

This has happened to me at work and I know its cuz I cut off all my hair last year (BC) and if the person says "wow Maria your hair is long!" like its some kind of miracle I'll say "yeah its getting there!" I don't take it as negative, heck most of the time its coming from my AA co-workers. I'll only get offended if its followed up by "well you're Hispanic and that's why its growing so fast" that's when I gotta school them LOL
I don't analyze these things to death, but I can usually tell when its a compliment. I don't consider my hair long yet so I'm usually embarrassed if somebodys says anything. I am very proud of my hair and it feels good knowing I'm retaining length and people notice.

I say; No it's not.
I don't think its rude because I don't think it is.
Besides, my SO is the only one who says it because no one else sees my hair.

But, I think a thank you is a nice way to respond. If people says it's long it is because they have noticed it and gives you a compliment.

Yes, but what I think doesn't always relate to the person's motivation for making the comment. Not everyone thinks having long hair is good, and not everyone who tells ladies their hair is long know that the woman thinks it's good to have long hair.

I see your point, but think about it from a different perspective. See, youre on LHCF and clearly you've put effort into getting your ultimate goal, long hair. They might be stating the obvious, but it just shows you've achieved some aspect of your goal. Besides, how often do people mean "your hair is long' as an insult? Rare. If they said "your hair is too long", then maybe there's a tone of negativity. Saying 'Thank you" is an appropriate response. Roll with it.
Think about it alternatively, what if NO ONE ever said that your hair was long to you? The whole world went around like they didn't even notice, you'd feel some kinda way, right? I don't mean this post to be offensive, but I think it's clearly a compliment, why diss you in your face about long hair? That's why the situation's awkward because THEY feel like they're complimenting you, but you're dismissing it; so just make life easier on yourself and everyone involved and say thanks.

Last edited:
I usually say "yeah, I don't cut my hair very often" or something like that. The one thing that irks me is when I walk into the hair salon for my touch ups and the hair stylist says "Wow, you STILL have long hair," like if I was going to miraculously show up with short hair...

Here is a thought-
A white women came up to me in the store the other day and said " my, your hair is long". Now I took that as a compliment and said thank you ( of course with a weird expression on my face:look:). No sooner that I finished the you on thank you she said black women can't grow long hair and that is why we wear weaves:blush::nono::sad:. I reminded her in a nice way that ALL women can grow their hair long and weaves were first adorned by white women:yep:. Now I assumed that her "your hair is long" comment was a compliment but how do you take it after that negative opinionated comment. I would have walked away thinking that was a compliment and it wasn't. From now on I will answer people with " OK (weird expression) thank you (weird expression) and a smile.:grin::lachen::lachen:

See that there is rude and that is why I just smile and KIM.

Back